• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We can do a bit better than that for Bushiden :)

IQZ62Pg.gif
This is sincerely one of my most anticipated games. Everything clicks with me so hard. Good luck y'all!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I just found this game earlier today and it looks like a lost Square game from the Snes.

Rise of the Third Power

That does look pretty cool, though the title is eyebrow raising and not in a good way. There's already a very prominent cultural event that is the "rise of the third x" and boy would I have changed that name.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
it looks so good! one of my friends is also a pixel artist and gifs from it have been shared in our discord on more than one occasion lol

Very cool! And thanks! :)

Whelp. Both your teams are gonna get my dollars! Can't wait to play them!

Love to hear this. Can't wait for you to play it!

This is sincerely one of my most anticipated games. Everything clicks with me so hard. Good luck y'all!

Thanks! Glad you are so excited about it!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I love 2D games that have great art direction and aesthetics.

The PIXELATION though, I dont like it. The only way I can play these games is by using CRT, NTSC or even VHS shaders.

For example, I love how Breath of Fire 1, 2 and 3 look. But not because of the pixelation. I like how they look with the "smoothing" you get with CRT and NTSC artifacts.

Seeing the raw pixels: I do not like it at all.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You want the best? The absolute best that got my mouth wide open for the whole game and my heart running while playing? And I'm not even exaggerating.

This is 200% what I love about pixel art and I enjoyed every single second out of it. Zooming out and having everything so god damn detailed was just pure joy.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want the best? The absolute best that got my mouth wide open for the whole game and my heart running while playing? And I'm not even exaggerating.

This is 200% what I love about pixel art and I enjoyed every single second out of it. Zooming out and having everything so god damn detailed was just pure joy.

I might get this for my niece for the Switch, I need to encourage constructive games like Animal Crossing and Lego Builder.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I actually don't care for Axiom Verge's brand of pixel art either, but fuck if it doesn't absolutely sell the atmosphere of the game flawlessly. I can't even hate on it.

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined already got mentioned, so I'll toss in Wild Guns Reloaded:

wild-guns-natsume.gif

Reloaded kinda feels like what an Arcade version of Wild Guns would've looked like relative to the SNES version, and I love that

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't care for Axiom Verge's brand of pixel art either, but fuck if it doesn't absolutely sell the atmosphere of the game flawlessly. I can't even hate on it.

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined already got mentioned, so I'll toss in Wild Guns Reloaded:

wild-guns-natsume.gif

Reloaded kinda feels like what an Arcade version of Wild Guns would've looked like relative to the SNES version, and I love that
The Ninja Warriors Again port was also absolutely excellent as well. Gorgeous huge sprites that are supremely well animated.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Absolutely outstanding that OP makes a thread, drops some offensive hyperbole about a single dev's efforts, then refuses to engage within anyone calling them out, and instead reiterates that the game 'disgusts' them. Even if you didn't know that it was a single dev or anything, all it takes is just a quick 'my bad, was being hyperbolic' and just phrase criticisms in less exaggerated and exceptionally demeaning ways. I mean the game reviewed well. When you're saying shit like 'idk how these guys were able to scrape together the budget for a sequel' you know exactly what you're doing. You're being dismissive, mean and weirdly personal for the sake of it. Especially when you juxtapose it to sea of stars it comes across as 'fuck this dev in particular; in a justifiable world they wouldn't be able to make a sequel'.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to this but if I said this sort of crap about a game and then was told that that game was made by a lone dev supporting a special needs child I'd feel fucking gutted and apologetic at the bare minimum.

Be better.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Absolutely outstanding that OP makes a thread, drops some offensive hyperbole about a single dev's efforts, then refuses to engage within anyone calling them out, and instead reiterates that the game 'disgusts' them. Even if you didn't know that it was a single dev or anything, all it takes is just a quick 'my bad, was being hyperbolic' and just phrase criticisms in less exaggerated and exceptionally demeaning ways. I mean the game reviewed well. When you're saying shit like 'idk how these guys were able to scrape together the budget for a sequel' you know exactly what you're doing. You're being dismissive, mean and weirdly personal for the sake of it. Especially when you juxtapose it to sea of stars it comes across as 'fuck this dev in particular; in a justifiable world they wouldn't be able to make a sequel'.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to this but if I said this sort of crap about a game and then was told that that game was made by a lone dev supporting a special needs child I'd feel fucking gutted and apologetic at the bare minimum.

Be better.

Don't let it get to you so much, it's just 1 person's opinion and most disagree with OP. Some of you get so defensive when someone doesn't like the things you do.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Don't let it get to you so much, it's just 1 person's opinion and most disagree with OP. Some of you get so defensive when someone doesn't like the things you do.
always wonder what motivates posts like this. like is being a complete jackass over a video game that important to you that you gotta defend OPs honor

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of a love/hate thing with pixel art, I must say - the lower the resolution (or bits, probably more correctly?), the harder I find it on the eyes. I guess I just prefer my art less... abstract?

Currently playing through Children of Morta, though... and that is ART. Beautiful game.

Jan 21, 2019
I love pixel art. I dislike the NES pallet but Axiom Verge looks absolutely fantastic. The art style and atmosphere is amazing and the work of a master.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hello,
don't mind me, I'm just doing the Phoenotopia Awakening plug because it's a legit great game that everyone should play
And it looks great too!

It's available on Switch, PC(Steam), PSN, xbox

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of randomly shitting on it why not just prop up the games you care about.
There's nothing random about the way I shat on it. It's a horrid looking game. I reiterated how much I didn't like the way it looks when I talked about Dead Cell.

Not a super fan of how Dead Cells looks, love how it plays, though. Owlboy is also beautiful but feels a bit sterile to me - great imagery but too stilted. Just my taste.
I think Owlboy in motion looks really good.

Dead Cell... man that's a blight upon mankind's vision. If that dev ever makes an AA game and has the same level of access to the same rainbow sparks no one would be able to review it without polarized glasses.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks like vomit pixels morphing around a barren landscape. No really, that's not a random insult, this game looks like that scene in Mr Robot where he throws up Adderall and tries to eat it back up directly in front of the camera. I have no idea how these guys scraped together a budget for a sequel.

This seems needlessly spiteful. Like I don't even feel like giving rec's.
Dead Cells too? you don't deserve pixel art

Last edited:

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Heart Forth Alicia

I have been following this game for years. It looks really charming and I can't wait till it comes out.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019

Be better.

im with you. needless hyperbole.

Sometimes I feel like people will just say things just to get a thread moving at whatever cost. How many posts in here are either a direct response to the harsh wording, or at least address it in their post? I'm aware by responding I'm also part of the problem here.

I'm not even a big fan of the art in axiom verge, or even many others in this thread but I acknowledge that it may just not be to my taste and not disparage the hard work of others. Making games is hard! doing pixel art at an exceptionally high level is hard. Games are made by people, and in the indie space the relationship between person and product is tighter still. It's fine to critique something, or not like something... just try to show a little respect?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see some indie devs try and tackle Neo Geo sprite work, especially for a beat em up or run n gun action platformer.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing random about the way I shat on it. It's a horrid looking game. I reiterated how much I didn't like the way it looks when I talked about Dead Cell.

I think Owlboy in motion looks really good.

Dead Cell... man that's a blight upon mankind's vision. If that dev ever makes an AA game and has the same level of access to the same rainbow sparks no one would be able to review it without polarized glasses.

Why do you gotta be like this? We can have a good talk about pixel art games and even discuss things we like and don't like about them. You don't need to be a straight up asshole and piss on things that aren't your personal taste. Your opinion is not the consensus. Both Axiom & Dead Cells reviewed and sold very well, and are generally considered great games here on Era.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skul: The Hero Slayer

Pocket Bravery (fighting game)

Haiku The Robot

Transmute (metroidvania game)

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
OP is entitled to his opinion, I guess. You don't have to like every type of pixel art.

Like, shitting on game's graphics is something we do a lot here, and it's rarely done in a polite manner. Pixel art games aren't a sacred cow.

(although the dev budget insult was uncalled for)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see some indie devs try and tackle Neo Geo sprite work, especially for a beat em up or run n gun action platformer.
There's a game I posted earlier that reminds me of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, called Blazing Strike.

I'll see if there are other sprite based fighting games that have that Neo Geo look, especially older titles.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
OP is entitled to his opinion, I guess. You don't have to like every type of pixel art.

Like, shitting on game's graphics is something we do a lot here, and it's rarely done in a polite manner. Pixel art games aren't a sacred cow.

(although the dev insult was uncalled for)

Its possible to just not like things without shitting on developers hard work. Its as petty as posting peoples ArtStation/Deviant Art pages and being like "wow look at this absolute vomit, how do they even get work? ....now share some legit art with me!"

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
9 Years Of Shadow (this one is stunning to me)

Heartbeat

Halfway (turn based RPG)

Cosmic Star Heroine