• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Stars

My word, look at the beauty of this game. I don't even play turn based games but just the artstyle already makes me want to buy this game for myself and other people. The little touches of animation like the characters spinning around in water add the right bit of charm to a colourful game. I can't help but root for these devs to succeed.

Axiom Verge

This game looks like vomit pixels morphing around a barren landscape. No really, that's not a random insult, this game looks like that scene in Mr Robot where he throws up Adderall and tries to eat it back up directly in front of the camera. I have no idea how these guys scraped together a budget for a sequel.

River City Girls 2

I personally prefer SNES style pixelwork but this Wheel of Fortune on Windows 3.1 block style won me over. Everything is colourful and readable, which is important in a beat em up game. In contrast to this we have:

Dead Cells

This isn't bad, save for one thing I hate in our modern era. It's what Shelby at Girlfriend Reviews calls "diarrhea Christmas Lights" where the devs throw visibility out the window in exchange for explody sparks all over the screen and you can't tell what anything is doing. In opposition to Axiom Verge where readability is destroyed by having a colour monster devour the visuals and excrete a paste of greys, Dead Cells decided to have your eyes die in the heart of an exploding star.

--------------------------
SNES era, arcade, doesn't matter. I love great looking pixel art games, and I've given my examples of what I like and don't. Share some of yours here!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : Shredder's Revenge

Blossom's Tale 2

Flinthook

Steel Assault

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, whats wrong with the look of Axiom Verge? It looks great and captures the initial inspiration, especially for being a one developer game.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Moonrider
giphy.webp

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
03fb94520c784a425e4ce95c4944d4b1.gif

Savior
FeatureShot_Parkour.gif

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined
pocky-and-rocky-reshrined.gif

Bushiden
6280f6f108887705c719dbe823aac5ba_original.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Also Triangle Strategy and Octopath Traveler. I love this style so much

Oct 25, 2017
Axiom Verge

This game looks like vomit pixels morphing around a barren landscape. No really, that's not a random insult, this game looks like that scene in Mr Robot where he throws up Adderall and tries to eat it back up directly in front of the camera. I have no idea how these guys scraped together a budget for a sequel.

"These guys" is just Tom Happ who made an excellent game for which he did all aspects from coding to music himself. The game was critically acclaimed and financially successful, leading to the sequel. Which is great cause it enables him to do this.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...challenge_of_raising_a_son_with_special_needs

A lot of people say, "don't worry about work, focus on your son" - but bear in mind my work is directly correlated with my son's well being. Rather than just being a hobby, Axiom Verge (and whatever else I do in the future) has now become necessary for supporting him and his medical needs for the rest of his life.

Thanks for understanding.

So perhaps try rooting for him instead.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Axiom Verge looks great though. The pixel art is very atmospheric and moody, which really helps with the whole "hostile unknown world" thing.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Well Katana Zero and Eastward are mentioned. Also blasphemous. What a wonderful and unique world to explore.

Axiom Verge ugly? :O

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
uc1QqcZ.jpg

Crosscode is probably my game of the year (even though it isn't listed in Era's GOTY eligibility list, it still only hit PlayStation platforms this last year) and it's fucking gorgeous.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The axiom verge take is some of worst gamer hyperbole out there.

Single dev makes sufficient if not spectacular pixel art, and it's labelled as vomit morphing around a screen jfc.

It's fine to express pretty legit issues around readability and the like, it's just being a bit of an unnecessary jerk to use that sort of language when there's no need for it.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Axiom Verge might be a good game, but honestly it's one of the least appealing ones, aesthetically, at least from the ones mentioned on this thread.