• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah Die-hardman in Death Stranding is probably the best character model I've ever seen in a game. He already looks amazing with the mask on, but off, with that superb acting performance is next level.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Needs more Lance Reddick

qunatum2.png

Is this a game?
For real?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
And here i thought that i was the only one who thought that dark skin looks pretty damn good in 3d rendering. I'm not sure what makes it look very realistic, but it just stands out.

Nov 8, 2017
In my eyes, all of the skin in the OP look equally good/not real. Most digital images I see generally stand out as fake to me.

I think my favorite skin so far was Kratos in God of War. I think it looked particularly good, probably because it isn't a natural shade [at least I think it's not].

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think this was especially apparent late last gen. These days white skin is catching up with SSS improving but yes, darker skin tones rendering is still more realistic

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Maybe I noticed It before but the first time I bluntly thought about this was playing The Last of Us remaster on PS4. You meet a secondary characters named Henry that is a black guy with his little brother trying to survive too, when I saw him in motion besides your protagonists I thought "Holy shit he looks amazing" which is a reaction that I dont have but that a minor character looked so realistic compared to Joel make me thought about this too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
KNNmTqu.png

rXD1z0x.png

Animation is the big bit in this scene above but KojiPro did a good job of capturing Tommie Earl Jenkins' likeness alongside the rest of the cast.

if you know, you know.
I'm not as impressed with the Death Stranding characters as eveyone else seems to be, the skin in that game looks super fake to me. That being said this character looks amazing.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's not. Look at the hair of the other character.
Nah that's doable. It's more the skin surface elements (evidenced by projector lights) which make me doubt it could be a live action shot.

Edit: Also some minor clothing details which probably wouldn't have been modeled in a 3D scene.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Die-hardman in Death Stranding looked insane.

661a05d0fd6d4933e5e5e3cbe0cbb55a1b376844.gifv

74434035_600781847331530_963769431842386615_n.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1b0754d0e0ea07d623f7d14897a5f6472005e373.gifv

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
In genera when it comes to CGI, scenes with darker tones, or with shadows that have more edge appear better.
I think the scattering appears better in darker-skinned characters too. The more pale a character is, the harder it is to make the texture on their faces be seen, imo.
The only place where I've seen better lighter skin than average was God of War 2018 but that's because of the ashy layer that Kratos has.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
there is a rather poignant poem, "And You Call Me Colored" by poet, Agra Gra (nominated by The United Nations as the Best Poem of 2006)
I'm sorry to derail, but that poem was on a poster in my classroom in high school in 1990. Was it just a very late nomination, or what's going on?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The way darker skin reacts to light (specular values showing more, making the pores and sweat more visible) really benefited much more than arguably diffuse looking "caucasian" tones in earlier skin rendering techniques, and really prevails to this day. I mean... who can forget the first time they looked at Jester and Prophet?
crysis229jh1.jpg

crysis1thjax.jpg

crysis3h5kto.jpg

They looked decidedly better skin shading wise than other characters in the game. Or damn, any of the marines with Darker Skin? God DAMN.

I also think the push for better specularity in the PBS generation helped darker skin a lot too.
The only problem I have with skin in Death Stranding is that the skins seem a bit too smooth, especially apparent on LĂ©a Seydoux as her skin is overly smooth and it seems poreless looking. I think Death Stranding animates better than any game out there atm but in terms of overall skin shaders I'd put Detroit above it.

However it does have one character whose face looks better than even Detroit. That character is Die Hardman imo he is quite possible the most realistic looking and animating face I've seen this gen.

Great posts. Agreed about the skin shading there.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Die-Hardman is incredible. Most realistic character model I've ever seen. He looks photorealistic in nearly every scene. It's not just his face either, his hands are also insanely realistic in look and animation too.

Horizon is weird as Aloy is the main character but has one of the weakest faces in the game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
KNNmTqu.png

rXD1z0x.png

Animation is the big bit in this scene above but KojiPro did a good job of capturing Tommie Earl Jenkins' likeness alongside the rest of the cast.

if you know, you know.

That cutscene blew my mind because this was the first time this generation that I thought "Okay...could be almost real now"

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding was a very good looking game and Die Hardman especially looked so real. Would be nice if more examples like listed in this thread could also be the player characters of games as well.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Huh, you're not wrong. They all do look like the best characters in their respective games.

And yeah Tommie Earl Jenkins looks really good in Death Stranding (and he's probably the best acted character), but everyone in that game has a weird Instagram filter/artificial smoothening like glow to them so I struggle to praise the visuals too much. Everyone looks a little inhuman, although he got the least of it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not as impressed with the Death Stranding characters as eveyone else seems to be, the skin in that game looks super fake to me. That being said this character looks amazing.
The skin looks like some wax museum or Photoshop smoothing filter shit. Especially noticeable on Fragile and Mama.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Great thread and great stuff.

Waiting for games to star/lead people with skin tones like Jodie Turner Smith, Lupita Nyongo, & Daniel Kaluuya more regularly. With theor proper skin tones

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The skin looks like some wax museum or Photoshop smoothing filter shit. Especially noticeable on Fragile and Mama.
Years of Timefall will do that to you. It's a deliberate design choice to show the characters suffering in the post apocalyptic world. It ties into the narrative, Kojima is a visionary

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Die-hardman in Death Stranding looked insane.
1b0754d0e0ea07d623f7d14897a5f6472005e373.gifv

Literally the only thing that looks a bit weird to me is the lack of..some sort of slightly moving reflection/refraction to simulate the tears irregularly building up on the surface of his eyes.

Absolutely uncanny otherwise, it's an incredible showcase (and performance)

Edit: ok and some slight general stiffness in the upper half of his face

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you everyone for your contributions and continued recognition and support of this topic.

Pertaining to Death Stranding I will say this: I think female characters' skin textures felt awfully too waxy for my taste (albeit that Lea Sedoux IRL does have a touch waxier looking skin, presumably due to the make up). I don't know if there was an underlying bias working or not but comparatively male faces, even aside from Sam and Deadman, had greater amount of surface details depicting pores and flaws that felt obscured in Mama, President of UCA and Amelie.

What are the bad examples from back in the day?

I would say that, if you are looking for "on average" results for bad examples or rather simply examples then going back 2 generations would yield said results. Lighter and darker skin tones had essentially identical characteristics during PS2/Xbox OG era aside from the obvious differences in colour.

In fact, even if you go back one generation, games like Remember Me's protagonist, Nilin Cartier-Wells, looked better than than paler skin toned counter parts.

You are absolutely correct and also correct about why it's more feasible now.
Bioware talked about it when making DAI.

Lack of sub surface scattering really hurt darker skin tones extra as the skin would look extra chalky and darker skin is more "shiny" (due to the oils and sweat being more visible) as well as smoother looking when compared to whiter skin. This is basically impossible to convey without a good subsurface scattering.

I didn't know Bioware talked about this. Thank you. It makes sense given DAI's glossier aesthetics lend a greater sense of realism to darker skins.

This would be an interesting inversion of the norm, where rendering and photographic techniques tend to favour lighter skin simply because when it came to trying to adjust the techniques to make "humans" look better, the pool of reference subjects was predominantly light-skinned.

I wonder if this is representative of more modern techniques being fine-tuned using a wider diversity of reference subjects, or if somehow the specific technical details conspired to make darker-skinned people the beneficiaries this time around.

This is a fine post. Your article really hits the nail of the essence of this thread on its head- i.e. what it meant to be "human" in hollywood for the longest time. Thank you.

Would it be divertive to also mention that scenes with darker tones or shades appear to be much more realistic than brighter ones in most real time rendering engines?

One scene in particular which highlights this would be the synthetic graveyard scene in Detroit:Become Human.

That is interesting. I have had Detroit in my backlog for a while now. Guess I will be paying closer to attention to the graveyard. That said, I do think that inorganic surfaces have, on the whole, been elevated to the photorealism status thanks to photogrammetry and PBR. With ray traced global illumination solutions on the horizon, things will get even better.

Unfortunately, that is the live action segment. If the time code fails, kindly go to 20:04 (segment from which the screenshot is taken).

I'm sorry to derail, but that poem was on a poster in my classroom in high school in 1990. Was it just a very late nomination, or what's going on?

i'm pretty sure that never actually happened and there is no such award.
it somehow gets tacked on everytime it gets posted on the internet.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Looking into it further, even Malta Times alleges that it was nominated for the best poetry award but I can't find the official listing and interestingly, there are multiple renditions of this poem too. Regardless, it is a poem that has stuck with over a decade and it felt quite relevant to be posted here.

Dictator Looks like you being a hardcore fan of Crysis (even from the days of Gaf) and screenshotting have paid apt dividends :) And to think that this was before the whole PBR generation.

Now, I have a few more examples lined up from Horizon Zero Dawn. What strikes as I started looking back at the screens I had taken are:
  • Skin rendering is notably better across the board in the DLC, Frozen Wilds (as you will see from the examples)
  • Frozen Wilds has significantly more darker skinned folks as more profoundly interactable NPCs that base game
Once again, dialogue segments:

Base game:

2a85501138352054.png

9d78641138352174.png

af28a91138350534.png

Frozen Wilds:

0565761138266604.png

71ff3f1138280674.png

2d76191138240124.png

I will post more examples later. Thank you all.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was doing some digging around and unsurprisingly there is a gigantic dearth of behind the scenes videos that show rendering processes for handling darker skin tones. In fact, the only game where I found some good documentations on rendering aforementioned skin type are from Ready At Dawn's 2015 Siggraph presentations which can be found here:
I would love to see if folks can find it.

Also, a few more examples from some other games:

Uncharted Lost Legacy (gameplay)-

jFuSf3n.png

I5gHG27.png

tfS4w20.png

Mad Max (in-engine cutscene):

6JYieBC.png

VPJOew6.png

Detroit (Gameplay and in-engine cinematic cuts):

dmHx4D7.png

Now, one thing I should mention is that regardless of everything else, I don't think anyone else does skin rendering quite like QD esp. in these hybridized moments:

dYNyb2t.png

Looking closely, it is evident that there are variations of pigmentation (like pigmentation spatter patterns) around his forehead and nose. Aside from differential pore (and sub scattering profile) distribution features and/or blemishes like these, that on a day to day basis we register as features on as part of paler skin type, lend that layer of authenticity that paler skin rendering relies on to avoid looking waxy and/or diffused. Again, this is to show why it is so complicated and finicky to get caucasian skin to look exceptional.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
That scene near the end of Death Stranding with Die Hardman (people who have finished the game will know which one I'm talking about) is not only a great performance, but his model's face and animation are among the best I've ever seen. I know we say it every few years only to look back and laugh, but it's hard to imagine games looking much better than that.