• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm not out to lunch by saying this intentionally looks like Mega Man's jump pose, right?
RwJBpqy.jpg

I can see it, but it's probably just a coincidence with the angle. Funny thing was seeing "Humming to Moon Theme from NES Game" in the captions.

Flecko

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I don't know why, but this makes me cry. What a beautiful childhood with Ducktales. Now I must see the show

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The left one isn't from the show, it's the sprite from Ducktales Remastered.
New design is better too.

That good, is it?
Guess I need to watch then.
as a fan of the comics I always thought the original show was kinda eh and missed a lot about the characters. I absolutely love this one, it plays a lot of homage to the classic comics and has big parts of the lore coming directly from it

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
There aren't enough references in media to classic theme songs for non comedic reasons. Callbacks like that can be pretty dramatic. This is like a modern DC film playing the John Williams' Superman theme out of the blue.
You haven't seen Justice League have you? Superman beats the crap out of Stephen Wolf and John William's theme plays for a moment. It's legitmatley the one good scene in that entire film.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly couldn't recognize the NES version from this version. Even listening to it twice, it just goes over my head.

Oct 25, 2017
"computer generated hot garbage"

yeah, there was no human input into the design or animation because it's digital work instead of analog

for reference, this is a computer generated drawing:
example-13738.jpg

put some damn respect into work instead of spewing nonsense because there were no pencils or pens involved

Oct 25, 2017
51FK1HTE6VL._SY445_.jpg

Old design looks much better than squarehead.

New design is computer generated hot garbage

Animation is a visual medium, and character design is a key way of expressing who a character is. With that in mind, I can't discern a single personality trait from any of those triplets' 80s designs beyond "a vaguely decent person."

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but this makes me cry. What a beautiful childhood with Ducktales. Now I must see the show
Had the same reaction. Did not expect it to be through singing. Cut me real deep. I gotta figure out a way to manuver my daughter's exposure to Duck Tale in such a way that her little mind will go :O from this too.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51FK1HTE6VL._SY445_.jpg

Old design looks much better than squarehead.

New design is computer generated hot garbage
Anyone who thinks handrawn means it's automatically better than computer animation. That's literally not how animation works and Disney has produced lots of garbage animation handrawn in the 90s.

Also, here's a still from old cartoon where they had no idea what they were doing with the head proportions
latest

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Oh, how I loved that ep.

Reminds me I need to catch up with this new season!
Watch today's episode and... congrats, you're all caught up.
Nothing else has aired from the Christmas ep with young Russi-voiced Grunge Donald until today.

But this season will be back in full force with new episodes in May.

This is how you know someone haven't following the show xD

The creators are the biggest disney afternoon nerds there is. The series is FULL of references to everything disney afternoon
No kidding. Hell, they brought back Don Karnage! And all of the little nods to DuckTales (Russi) and Darkwing.
I'd challenge anyone to point out a reboot that's been executed better.

Really, the only knock against current DuckTales is Disney Channel's haphazard episode scheduling.
And that shit plagues everything they show so whatever.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It is a bit fun that they do seem to slip some game easter eggs in there here and there
I tried to get into this show when it premiered as I like the original but I just couldn't do it. I don't think they handled Donald well. I was hoping he'd be as big a part of the series as he was in the comics but no. He became very underused as the season progressed and I did not like that they kept making fun of his voice. This was never a thing in any of the comics or older films. In universe his voice is perfectly understandable and nothing out of the ordinary.

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you know someone haven't following the show xD

The creators are the biggest disney afternoon nerds there is. The series is FULL of references to everything disney afternoon

Not just the Disney Afternoon, but pretty much anything related to Donald Duck or Scrooge McDuck. Hell, the character singing the Moon theme in the clip is a would-be pivotal but extremely underutilized and obscure member of the Duck family whose origins date back to the 1930s. Prior to this show, her only major appearance was in a single Dutch comic released about five years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit fun that they do seem to slip some game easter eggs in there here and there
I tried to get into this show when it premiered as I like the original but I just couldn't do it. I don't think they handled Donald well. I was hoping he'd be as big a part of the series as he was in the comics but no. He became very underused as the season progressed and I did not like that they kept making fun of his voice. This was never a thing in any of the comics or older films. In universe his voice is perfectly understandable and nothing out of the ordinary.

It's easier to understand what a character is saying when it's laid out in plain text than it is when they're speaking aloud in a voice that is famously difficult to understand. Tony Anselmo had to be taught the sort of things that Donald would not be able to say when he was first learning how to do the voice. There was no such limitation for the likes of Carl Barks or Don Rosa.

I'd say it's an understandable difference.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
They called the Barks Modulator
It is literally a reference to what you were saying
It's easier to understand what a character is saying when it's laid out in plain text than it is when they're speaking aloud in a voice that is famously difficult to understand. Tony Anselmo had to be taught the sort of things that Donald would not be able to say when he was first learning how to do the voice. There was no such limitation for the likes of Carl Barks or Don Rosa.

I'd say it's an understandable difference.
What I meant was that in the duck comics and films Donalds voice is perfectly normal in universe. Meaning to everybody in Duckburg he sounds like everybody else and his voice is nothing out of the ordinary. In the new Ducktales they seem to make fun of his voice being difficult to understand which I don't like. Everybody in the show should be able to understand him fine.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This entire episode was great. The very first notes of the episode has the NES moon theme play in a minor key and I thought that was all they were going to do (it would've still been a nice touch). I'm really happy they leaned into the theme 110% percent.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I meant was that in the duck comics and films Donalds voice is perfectly normal in universe. Meaning to everybody in Duckburg he sounds like everybody else and his voice is nothing out of the ordinary. In the new Ducktales they seem to make fun of his voice being difficult to understand which I don't like. Everybody in the show should be able to understand him fine.
The reboot pretty clearly isn't supposed to be just like the original comics and show though. Donald being hard to understand to other characters is probably the smallest change any of the characters had made to them aside from maybe Scrooge.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The reboot pretty clearly isn't supposed to be just like the original comics and show though. Donald being hard to understand to other characters is probably the smallest change any of the characters had made to them aside from maybe Scrooge.
Pretty much this.

The nephews now have distinct personalities, designs and character traits.
Webbigail is now Mabel Pines.
Miss Beakley is now a bad-ass secret agent.
Duckworth is now a ghost.
Fenton is now Hispanic.
Glomgold is now role-playing as a Scottish mizer in lieu of his vendetta with Scrooge.
Gyro now has a bented twist of power-mad, crazed malevolence while still being an adept inventor.
Launchpad is... well, still Launchpad. He hasn't changed much, either... but I'm not sure we'd want him any other way.

I'd contend that almost all of these changes have been for the better.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The show is absolutely wonderful. My only knocks on it are Launchpad's new voice (though I got used to it), Karnage's new voice (not a fan), and Gyro's new personality (seriously growing on me).

The show is brilliant and everyone needs to be watching it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zero surprise it was written by Jake. He's expressed his love of that song to me many times.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The show is absolutely wonderful. My only knocks on it are Launchpad's new voice (though I got used to it), Karnage's new voice (not a fan), and Gyro's new personality (seriously growing on me).

The show is brilliant and everyone needs to be watching it.
I'm not a fan of the new Karnage interpretation, either... BUT I get why they went the way that they did with it and if it was simply for a one-off appearance I'm not going to quibble too much. Plus, they've recast everyone (outside of Darkwing - whom they have used sparingly) so assuming they'd make the same exception for all of Jim Cummings' trademark roles would have been presumptuous.

My only other minor gripe was with the pacing of the reveals towards the end of Season 1 as the two season-long narratives kind of clashed with one another as opposed to reinforcing their respective payoffs.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Glomgold is now role-playing as a Scottish mizer in lieu of his vendetta with Scrooge.
This one kinda isn't a change. In the Carl Barks comics Glomgold is from South Africa. The first DuckTales cartoon omitted this to avoid controversy. The new series brought back Glomgold's true nationality.

Last edited:

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I know this and I just did not like how they choose to handle Donald.