• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know Square-Enix has had some issues with ports. Notably, these things are important to me:

1) The use of the original font
2) Fast forward and other QoL options
3) No music glitches
4) Maybe that crazy BG AI-based upres mod?

What's the best way to play? Switch? PS4? Steam? Steam with mods (which mods)? Or the original PS1 version?
Vita with the load speed option ticked. After that ps1

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Get it on PC with the mod to upscale the backgrounds. Once you've played it that way you won't be able to go back.

Who the hell really wants to look at blurry pre-rendered backgrounds in 2019?

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
If you care for couch co-op I think the PS1 version is the only one that has it, so you could assign characters to different controllers, I know its a pretty niche option but it matters to me lol.

Whaaat, have they removed this option from the remastered versions? Why o why... Remasters should add features, not remove stuff. This is mindblowingly stupid. Me and my brother recently talked about replaying FF IX and was planning to do so with the Steam version running the Moguri mod. This is now out the question. : /

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Final Fantasy IX with the Moguri mod. Music glitch fixed and you get the benefit of some really nice AI-upscaled backgrounds and high resolution font.

sites.google.com

HOME

What's Moguri Mod ? Moguri Mod is a faithful revamp of the PC version of Final Fantasy IX helped by deep learning techniques (ESRGAN). The most important changes are in the background arts, that are now cleaner, more detailed and higher resolution. Moguri Mod also includes a custom implementation

EIL-oRPXYAAIppi

EIL-oRMXYAALcFc

EIL-oRMWsAAwEId
Came here to post this. It's the definitive way to play.

Nah. See my screenshots; Moguri Mod + original PSX font is absolutely the way to play. It's gorgeous. Plus speedups are available, too!
Good to see you find the answer already. I've been thinking of replaying the game too one of these days.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Holy crap, thank you for this thread. I was up for nearly 3 hours last night trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to put the damn font file for the mod to recognize it, never occurred to me that I actually needed to do a proper right click+install.
I did a combination of the moguri mod just for the textures, on top of the Scaled UI mod since I wasn't sure if moguri had a fix for analogue movement or the old psx battle menus.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I must be the only FF9 stan that thinks the new smooth font looks better with the rest of the game being HD than the old font lol

With that being said I would do unspeakable things to get the HD backgrounds officially.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Final Fantasy IX with the Moguri mod. Music glitch fixed and you get the benefit of some really nice AI-upscaled backgrounds and high resolution font.

sites.google.com

HOME

What's Moguri Mod ? Moguri Mod is a faithful revamp of the PC version of Final Fantasy IX helped by deep learning techniques (ESRGAN). The most important changes are in the background arts, that are now cleaner, more detailed and higher resolution. Moguri Mod also includes a custom implementation

EIL-oRPXYAAIppi

EIL-oRMXYAALcFc

EIL-oRMWsAAwEId

How the hell do I get the fonts to look like that? It's driving me crazy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

sites.google.com

HOME

EIL-oRPXYAAIppi

EIL-oRMXYAALcFc

EIL-oRMWsAAwEId
I need to replay this game.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Moguri Mod is awesome but the goddamn touchscreen battle UI that SE included in the PC port that takes up nearly half the screen and obscures your entire party is just so bloody awful. Like, WHY???? And I don't know of any UI mods that are compatible with Moguri that one can use.

That said, PC port with Moguri Mod is the way to go. Folks over at Qhimm are working on further improving Moguri, the cutscenes, character models, world map textures, field textures, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I think it'll be released some time this year

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ended up going ahead and getting FF9 on Steam. These mods are very worthwhile... but I'm having a hard time getting that Zidane font to work in-game.

The Graphics and Font sections of my Memoria.ini file look like this:

Code:
[Graphics]
UseGarnetFont=0
MovieFPS=15
BattleSwirlFrames=25
BattleFPS=15
WidescreenSupport=1
Enabled=1
GarnetHair=0 ; 0 - Default, 1 - Long, 2 - Short
SkipIntros=0 ; 0 - Don't skip, 1 - Skip logos, 2 - Skip logos and movie, 3 - Don't reset at the title

[Font]
Size=24
Enabled=1
Names="ZidaneThinSlash"
(I also made sure to install the ZidaneThinSlash font instead of the original one)

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong Feep? I'm assuming it's something minor and stupid that I'm just overlooking, but I'm at a loss lol. :(

EDIT: Here's the contents of my Memoria.log file, by the way:

Code:
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| Loading configuration Memoria.ini
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [assetInterceptor] loading from directory [C:\Program Files\Moguri Mod\StreamingAssets\]
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [assetInterceptor] loading from directory [C:\Program Files\Moguri Mod\StreamingAssets\]
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [FontInterceptor] Dynamic font initialization.
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [FontInterceptor] Initialize new font: [Names: {ZidaneThinSlash}, Size: 24]
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [FontInterceptor] Loading font [Original: TBUDGoStd-Bold (UnityEngine.Font)]
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [UIRoot] Changing a clip region of the UI root.
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| [GameLoopManager] RaiseStartEvent
04.01.2020 10:47:27 |M| InitializeItemText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeImportantItemText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeAbilityText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeCommandText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeBattleText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeLocationText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeEtcText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| [ResourceExporter] Pass through {Configuration.Export.Enabled = 0}.
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| [ResourceImporter] Pass through {Configuration.Import.Enabled = 0}.
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeItemText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeImportantItemText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeAbilityText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeCommandText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeBattleText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| InitializeLocationText
04.01.2020 10:47:28 |M| [AudioResourceExporter] Pass through {Configuration.Export.Audio = 0}.
04.01.2020 10:47:54 |M| [GameLoopManager] RaiseQuitEvent

Last edited:
OP
OP
Feep

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Out tonight but I'll take a look tomorrow for ya! (One dumb thing is that you need to install the font as an administrator, and you need to reboot once before it'll work.)

Also, Malakym, what does the Scaled UI mod look like? Can you post a screen grab?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Out tonight but I'll take a look tomorrow for ya! (One dumb thing is that you need to install the font as an administrator, and you need to reboot once before it'll work.)

Also, Malakym, what does the Scaled UI mod look like? Can you post a screen grab?
Restarting my laptop fixed it. Thanks a bunch for suggesting that! I should have tried that before posting.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
FFIX on Steam doesn't require a Square Account like FFVII and FFVIII, right?

I was planning on playing the PSN version on PS3, but I may have just been convinced to get it on Steam in the next sale.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
FFIX on Steam doesn't require a Square Account like FFVII and FFVIII, right?

I was planning on playing the PSN version on PS3, but I may have just been convinced to get it on Steam in the next sale.
Yeah, FF9 doesn't require it (or even have a way to sign in to it optionally, as far as I can see).

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This game is so, so pretty, though. The HD background art is absolutely incredible in almost all cases.

KWAzx9a.png

The BG on your example certainly looks cleaner BUT, it lacks "detail". It looks like someone passed a sharpening/blurry brush on top of everything.

I know that AI wont be able to make it perfect by itself, but all AI upscaled backgrounds I have seen are way "too clean, glossy". I'm probably not explaining myself very well. Some grain, some added noise/texture detail is missing among all the elements.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Moguri Mod is awesome but the goddamn touchscreen battle UI that SE included in the PC port that takes up nearly half the screen and obscures your entire party is just so bloody awful. Like, WHY???? And I don't know of any UI mods that are compatible with Moguri that one can use.

That said, PC port with Moguri Mod is the way to go. Folks over at Qhimm are working on further improving Moguri, the cutscenes, character models, world map textures, field textures, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I think it'll be released some time this year

Do you have a link I can bookmark with regard to this work?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Do you have a link I can bookmark with regard to this work?

Sure, here you go - Mod progress and info is in the OP: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19225.0

The project's been running since June last year and was reported to be half complete in October. You can see some of the comparisons with Moguri Mod on the second page here.

Have you managed to get this working with Moguri Mod?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019

Wow sorry, wasn't keeping up with this thread! I'm at work right now, I'll try to get a few shots of how the battle screen looks when I get home.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Sorry for the DP:

Upon catching up with replies I see others have already shown you how it looks but I guess I'll do it anyway!

Also for people trying to get the two mods working together, I'll tell you the steps I took and hopefully that will help:

- Install the moguri mod like normal (here)
-After it completes, have Steam verify the files
Now you should have a fresh install of 9 with the hi res textures present in the installation folder.

-Extract the Scaled UI rar file (here) into the base installation folder for FFIX
For this, make sure to get version 3.3 rather than the most recent one - I couldn't get 3.5 to work and no one else could either from my findings.

-Check in your Moguri Mod folder (by default it should have installed to c:/program files) and go into the Streaming Assets subfolder. There should be a number of
files named p0data(x).bin - those are the background textures. Make sure that a copy of them are also found in the Modfiles/HD folder that should be present in your
FFIX directory (I'm honestly not sure if it's absolutely necessary to copy them like this so if it works for you without doing it, great)

-Edit your Memoria.ini file
Under [System], ensure it looks like this:

Code:
[System]
StreamingAssets=C:\Program Files\Moguri Mod\StreamingAssets
Enabled=1
MoguriFolder=C:\Program Files\Moguri Mod\

And that should be it!
Further tweaks can be done through a combination of adjusting the settings in the memoria.ini and also using the ffxiconfigurator.exe file that Scaled UI comes with,
I can try to help if necessary.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Switch for RPG with portability.
PC for upscaled art thanks to the mod. (Though im not a fan of some of the smoodgyness of being AI upscaled art, and not HQ original art as it was meant to look).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the DP:

Upon catching up with replies I see others have already shown you how it looks but I guess I'll do it anyway!

Also for people trying to get the two mods working together, I'll tell you the steps I took and hopefully that will help:

Now you should have a fresh install of 9 with the hi res textures present in the installation folder.

-Extract the Scaled UI rar file (here) into the base installation folder for FFIX
For this, make sure to get version 3.3 rather than the most recent one - I couldn't get 3.5 to work and no one else could either from my findings.

-Check in your Moguri Mod folder (by default it should have installed to c:/program files) and go into the Streaming Assets subfolder. There should be a number of
files named p0data(x).bin - those are the background textures. Make sure that a copy of them are also found in the Modfiles/HD folder that should be present in your
FFIX directory (I'm honestly not sure if it's absolutely necessary to copy them like this so if it works for you without doing it, great)

Code:
[System]
Enabled=1

And that should be it!
Further tweaks can be done through a combination of adjusting the settings in the memoria.ini and also using the ffxiconfigurator.exe file that Scaled UI comes with,

Tried this step by step, and it just seems to have overwritten my Moguri mod. I'll keep playing with it.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Tried this step by step, and it just seems to have overwritten my Moguri mod. I'll keep playing with it.

I should clarify: the only part of moguri I'm actually using is the background textures with the recommended Reshade setup. Any other part of it (eg the music) I won't be able to help with - the makers of both moguri and scaleui say straight up that they're not fully compatible. That's why I do the file verify after installing moguri, it gets rid of the fixed .exe for moguri but still keeps the texture files.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Sorry for the DP:

Code:
[System]
Enabled=1

And that should be it!

Thanks for posting this but it also didn't work for me. I'm only using Moguri mod with the included battle field enhancements, none of the music enhancements.

I uninstalled both FFIX and Moguri mod so I could do a clean installation of each with the UI mod (v3.3) but after following each step in your post it just seemed to have ignored Moguri mod entirely and reverted to the old textures once the UI mod was installed, even though the Memoria.ini file already points to my Moguri Mod folder as per your post.

It seems to be ignoring Moguri mod and the pasted p0data(x).bin HD files in the UI mod's HD folder, and is instead reading from the default Streaming Assets from the installation folder (in my case: C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY IX\StreamingAssets)

I'll keep trying but I may just wait until a unified installer for all of these mods is introduced

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Why oh why did I see this thread just now? FF IX is my favorite Final Fantasy and this thread along with all the mods make me want to get the Steam version but I really shouldn't spend 21€ right now :(

Oct 31, 2017
The remaster. Trust me you need the speed up option. I pretend the sped up version is the intended version (except maybe a tad slower...). With the speed up it's a wonderful and fun to experience. The normal speed is unbearable

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if you'd be into it but there's also a mod for the steam version that lets you get Beatrix as a permanent party member and even gives her more lines and such in the story. Probably one of the few flaws in ffix is the fact that she originally doesn't join you for good.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks for posting this but it also didn't work for me. I'm only using Moguri mod with the included battle field enhancements, none of the music enhancements.

The installation I've been going by is on the wife's PC, it's been a while so I'm probably forgetting a step. I plan on putting the game on my own PC with the Alternate Fantasy mod so I'll try to better document what I'm doing to see if I can help.

Having said that, I know the moguri creator is planning to add features eventually like what's in scaleui so just waiting til then is an option.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Bumping just to say that anyone that wanted to use moguri with the scaled ui mod will probably have an easier time now - apparently as of about a week ago, they officially are compatible. Definitely will be making a fresh install to try it out.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping just to say that anyone that wanted to use moguri with the scaled ui mod will probably have an easier time now - apparently as of about a week ago, they officially are compatible. Definitely will be making a fresh install to try it out.

Didn't the base game get updated with a battle UI that's more true to the original anyway? I thought that's what Moguri now supported.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Ff IX is a very very slow game, and I don't mean the story developmemt or whatever, I mean the actual gameplay. Everything happens really slow, characters moving, loading, animations, etc., So wahetever you choose, make sure is a version that allows 3x speed.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Didn't the base game get updated with a battle UI that's more true to the original anyway? I thought that's what Moguri now supported.

h013d1ga6e251.png

The one on the left is the baseline menu layout for the steam port, which is based on the mobile port of the game. The right shot is from the scaled ui mod, which is based on the original psx release.
I'm watching someone play a recent install of moguri and while the ui does look closer to the OG, it still looks pretty cluttered in comparison and still has a habit of covering the characters.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
h013d1ga6e251.png

The one on the left is the baseline menu layout for the steam port, which is based on the mobile port of the game. The right shot is from the scaled ui mod, which is based on the original psx release.
I'm watching someone play a recent install of moguri and while the ui does look closer to the OG, it still looks pretty cluttered in comparison and still has a habit of covering the characters.

Right, I'm familiar with the original release version, but the newer version really is very close to the PSX UI. Scaled UI is nice but is a lot smaller than PSX for those who prefer that.

Ff IX is a very very slow game, and I don't mean the story developmemt or whatever, I mean the actual gameplay. Everything happens really slow, characters moving, loading, animations, etc., So wahetever you choose, make sure is a version that allows 3x speed.

There are improvements to the new versions of the game that mitigate its slowness, even without using fast forward. I always tell everyone to turn on Skip Battle Camera right away. It only works in non-scripted battles, but it's a huge improvement when you're grinding xp.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Curious as to what other people have for their speedhack settings. I have:

Frames before battle - 10
Battle framerate - 25
Global speed toggle - 3x
ATB on fast via the game itself