• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A small team of Israeli scientists think they might have found the first complete cure for cancer.

"We believe we will offer in a year's time a complete cure for cancer," said Dan Aridor, of a new treatment being developed by his company, Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi), which was founded in 2000 in the ITEK incubator in the Weizmann Science Park. AEBi developed the SoAP platform, which provides functional leads to very difficult targets

The treatment, called MuTaTo, will use a combination of cancer-targeting peptides and a toxin that will specifically kill cancer cells. The treatment will eventually be personalised and a specific cocktail of the drugs will be given to patients based on their type of cancer, Dr Morad told the newspaper.

In contrast, MuTaTo is using a combination of several cancer-targeting peptides for each cancer cell at the same time, combined with a strong peptide toxin that would kill cancer cells specifically. By using at least three targeting peptides on the same structure with a strong toxin, Morad said, "we made sure that the treatment will not be affected by mutations; cancer cells can mutate in such a way that targeted receptors are dropped by the cancer."

Source

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they cured it - capitalism will destroy the cure and anyone's finances that tries to get close.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe you.gif

Also, i really don't like the term "cocktail of drugs", for some reason.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
It's horseshit.

Cancer is a catch-all word that refers to over 200 distinct diseases that share the characteristic of uncontrolled cellular growth.

These guys are liars looking to prey on the desperate for more funding.

Oct 28, 2017
From Proton Therapy to Cancer Paint, there have been legit rumbling of a cancer cure for a few years now. I hope it works, I really do.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive-by commentary, inflammatory generalizations
Sounds like a grift from a nation of professional grifters.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Its isnt just cancer... its Cancers. As in there are hundreds of variants

I wasnt aware that a universal cure to all cancer types was even possible even with training the immune system it using crispr genetically engineered targeting techniques

How does this work?

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I very much hope this is progress in the right direction. Cancer is a terrible disease and has so many variables to consider with treatment. I've seen the disease take people close to me, and slowly. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

Oct 27, 2017
It's horseshit.

Cancer is a catch-all word that refers to over 200 distinct diseases that share the characteristic of uncontrolled cellular growth.
Yup.

I chuckle every time I see "cure for cancer". If that were truly the case, you would have basically discovered "cure for any modifiable infection". That's some Timeless Justin Timberlake future, shit

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You or your loved one's life savings, because that is what you or your loved ones are willing to pay.
Yup. I have a feeling that a huge amount of people think cures like these will be given away for free all over the world. Just a bunch of booths springing up like free pet vaccines.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Look man, MuTaTo is way too much of a basic cable sci fi show name for a medical treatment that will cause the population to turn into freaky creatures. Can't be having it.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if they cured it - capitalism will destroy the cure and anyone's finances that tries to get close.

There IS money for people in a cure. Cancer will always happen, it will likely continue to reoccur elsewhere. It just sounds like a better cure than Chemo.

Cancer will never be prevented. It is a mode for death programmed into our bodies, eventually cells get old, they do weird things, shit goes sideways, and some people get cancer.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if anyone will make a breakthrough like this it wouldn't be surprising that it's Israel given their contributions to the medical field and their scientific prowess.

But I'd be shocked if this was legit lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We do hear about potential cancer cures or segments having effective treatments but this part of the article struck me as the key to their argument for a "cure all", I'll believe it when I see it, doubt it's only 1 year away though.

"The probability of having multiple mutations that would modify all targeted receptors simultaneously decreases dramatically with the number of targets used," Morad continued. "Instead of attacking receptors one at a time, we attack receptors three at a time – not even cancer can mutate three receptors at the same time."

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
ERA never ceases to amaze me when it comes to turning threads toxic.
Because they're calling out bullshit on something that's most likely bullshit?

There are so many types of cancer that there will probably never be a "catch all" cure. The only thing way in the future that might do that is nanomachines or something.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure that they're seeing something that look like results, but within a year?

I don't think it's a downer here to be skeptical. Highly skeptical.

Oct 29, 2017
Doubtful, even if they found a cure for cancer I don't think they would ever give it out to the general public. The money cancer research brings in would come to halt if this 1 cure fixes all.

Greed never ends with people.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine if they found a cure for cancer?

It would be another world event like when we went to the moon.

It would bring a massive boost to the morale of the world, having finally eradicated such a disease.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies"?

Nice try Umbrella, I see you.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? Care to support your statement? Over the past 5 years we have seen capitalists take advantage of drug pricing in ways that make us look like buffoons. Sorry, there's no conspiracy here. Just greed and hard facts.
Stop shitting on those with cancer and hard working cancer researchers and spreading conspiracy theories that you have literally 0 evidence for. And yes, you have to be the one with the evidence, since you're the one promoting a conspiracy.

It's incredibly messed up and hurtful to so many, and serves absolutely no purpose except to spread ignorance and misinformation on how science and medical research works.

Thanks.