• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
so maybe the reason many developers can't afford a healthy relationship with work and releases it is because...there are many interests by the investors so.... what if Investors were the reason crunch is a thing?

I know I am discovering nothing new but I think it has to be said everytime.

let say a developer (with inverstors) is developing a great game and they have a policy where workers must remain healthy and have all the facilities and flexibily to work (maybe 30-35 hours per week, be able to take a month off, etc..) but the prize to pay is said developers have a GAAS with aggresive monetization so invertors are happy, what are your opinion?

This just changes the exploitation from devs to customers

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Good shit, but the same way a blind person probably doesn't care what color shirt they are wearing.

I would like to see someone who has like 200 devs working on a project and bankrolling the game with $200M of someone's money that expects it back and say they don't care.

I am happy that they are doing this though. The realist in me just knows this isn't something most studios can do.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
If you can afford it to work on a DLC for like 4 years and then be happy with the money you make out of the 6 figure amount you probably sell, more power to you I guess.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
God I love everybody at MDHR, and I absolutely can't wait to finally play the Delicious Last Course.

And what's with these negative responses? How the fuck are you people gonna pull the privileged card here when the creators of Cuphead have worked their asses off for years, doing things the hard way to create something that they're really proud of and also resonates with millions of people. Sure, they're in a unique position to have this opinion on game development due to their success, but come on.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Bra-fucking-vo. Wish more companies and people in positions of power in general shared that mindset of work vs mental health, especially in the arts.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Love it. Though if they had investors/shareholders I would imagine they would care.

I get the impression they've stayed small to avoid that exact situation though.

^ This. While many of us have chased the dream, there is a lot to be said for being part of a smaller, closer knit team who don't have the pressures of executives, massive budgets and answering to VC's. Quality of life and work are important.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
fo9ep7jnsmi71.jpg

This except Cuphead is one of the most visually stunning games ever created.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This company reminds me of old Blizzard, where they wouldn't put out a game unless it was good. Same for old Valve. They took their time and released something when it was good and when it was ready. Can't wait to buy this piece of dlc. This is a great studio.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
ResetEra. ResetEra cares.

I wish ResetEra would stop caring about this. I'm only 15% kidding.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That is a super cool methodology to have. Studio MDHR are one of the good ones!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like at least here, people have become more understanding even in the past 10 years. I think a lot more light has been shed on the working conditions in game studios. You usually find the bad takes more on forums with younger users with a tad less empathy
See the thread about Starfield. The toxicity is insufferable. People looking at any angle to paint a picture of turmoil and chaos rather then seeing a delay as a win for the game, devs and gamers (better quality game). These posters have no interest in the game being good, otherwise they'd be happy about the delay.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably never complete the base game, but will surely buy this dlc.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Good shit, but the same way a blind person probably doesn't care what color shirt they are wearing.

I would like to see someone who has like 200 devs working on a project and bankrolling the game with $200M of someone's money that expects it back and say they don't care.

I am happy that they are doing this though. The realist in me just knows this isn't something most studios can do.
So maybe the problem is that some games that have +$200M and hundreds of developers.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
How'd they get so much munnies?

In addition to the game selling well, they very likely made/are making enough money from their Netflix deal they can mitigate delays or even eat a commercial failure head-on, if it comes to that.

…..how the hell y'all read that and still find some type of way to be negative Jesus christ

It's not really about "being negative" just acknowledging context. It's good the team can afford this breathing room and the bosses are giving it to them instead of just focusing on more and more profits. It's also a luxury many teams, especially indies, don't have.

You can absolutely burn through your life savings and go broke entirely trying to make it in this business. It's not for everyone. It's easy to say "wow if only everyone was like this", but it's more complicated than that; much more.

Most of them can't even afford to entertain the idea to begin with. Time is money and money is livelihood.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'm sure they'd care if their game had a razor thin profit margin.
I mean, maybe, maybe not? as a dev myself I would be fucking ecstatic if I just broke even with a game I made, and got just enough that I could make another one. profits are just icing on the cake of being able to make a game you love and believe in

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really worth all this time and effort to be animated by hand, I think most people and me included won't really notice the difference that much, I loved the game mainly due to the good challenging combat, music and fun artstyle.

I absolutely notice the difference and find it very much worth it. It's part of what sets this game apart. If the studio can take extra time, take care of its employees, and put out a superior product, I'd much rather see that than get something less amazing faster.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So you suggesting games like GOW, GTA6, FF7...etc should've been made with 15 people? Ok, let me be serious.... 30 people, and over say... 20 years?

Or games like that shouldn't exist?
This. I mean not that they shouldn't exist, just that they shouldn't be the norm or what most developer strive to. I relate way too much at the Sonic image: shorter games, worse graphics, people that should be work less than the norm and be paid more than the norm.

The ever increasing bloat in games' budgets is a very ridiculous thing. I mean, yes, I LOVED TLOUPII and RDR2, but if getting those games means the suffering of some devs, yeah, no, I rather have happier and healthier developers.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Not having to worry about the financial success of the DLC release they spent 4 years making is a hell of a position to be in. I doubt there are many other indie studios that have this luxury.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, those were some wonderful words. :)

Also, I just realized "DLC" was used as an acronym for "Delicious Last Course." Very clever...