• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3+ years of development for DLC. I get that things have been rough this year but Studio MDHR really needs to figure out how to increase their output.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer, but fair enough. I'll be ecstatic whenever it arrives. Still one of the highlights of this gen, and the genre as a whole.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talk about something that was announced waaaay to early. Though tbh, i dont think this would have arrived this year even without covid

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Take your time Kings !!

In terms of business its probably also smarter to release it around the time of the Netflix show. No need to force a 2020 release, if the quality isnt up there yet either.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I hope they are also working on Cuphead 2 because 3 years for DLC is a little crazy.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone under the impression it was coming out this year at this point? It's been over three years, this gotta be cuphead 2 by now.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Guessing this will also get a standalone release in order to bring in more sales.

DLC releasing for a game released ages ago without a standalone release won't come close to reaching its sales potential.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know it was planned for release this year. Thought it was still just TBA.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
huh, i didn't know it was planned for a 2020 release. they basically said it'll be out when it's ready the last time they talked about it.
either way, they should take all the time they need.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Expected tbh.

???

Here's the dumb gamer entitlement seen in every delay thread.

You do realize how disruptive the pandemic has been right?

No, people really don't. Most are just stuck in their bubble and aren't cognizant of just how affected the world is. You can thank capitalism. Always keep us focused on buying shit and we won't notice just how fucked the world is right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Talk about something that was announced waaaay to early. Though tbh, i dont think this would have arrived this year even without covid

None of us will ever know. But considering the initial shutdown and the pivot to remote work or creating a safe work environment (assuming that Cuphead's devs are doing that), it means a lot of time has been spent away from production and development. If Covid didn't exist, I'm nearly 100% certain that the timeline for production would be normal.

For those people expecting a sequel, that's absolutely deluded. We don't even know what Cuphead devs' situation is like. Let alone how far along they are in production.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
3+ years of development for DLC. I get that things have been rough this year but Studio MDHR really needs to figure out how to increase their output.

Quality hand drawn animation takes YEARS without any development issues, and has at times taken decades for a single feature when development issues have propped up. Unless they were to massively scale up their animation teams with temporary workers, it was going to take a long time anyways.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I've actually held off buying and playing the original on the promise of a physical release complete with DLC. I hope that still happens.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Quality hand drawn animation takes YEARS without any development issues, and has at times taken decades for a single feature when development issues have propped up. Unless they were to massively scale up their animation teams with temporary workers, it was going to take a long time anyways.
It's the cost of high quality hand drawn animation. I don't know why people thought that the dlc would come out fast when the game came out. It was always going to take years because hand drawn animation take a lot of time.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the studio is struggling financially, they really don't. If they're able, they should take as much time as they need to make something they're proud of and they do should do so while prioritizing the health and well-being of their team.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
???

Here's the dumb gamer entitlement seen in every delay thread.

You do realize how disruptive the pandemic has been right?
No, people really don't. Most are just stuck in their bubble and aren't cognizant of just how affected the world is. You can thank capitalism. Always keep us focused on buying shit and we won't notice just how fucked the world is right now.
Covid is not to blame for everything in the world. The game had already been delayed by a year by the time the pandemic started. They obviously had a plan and it didn't work out or they decided to make the game bigger than it was.

3 years is a long time for a DLC, pandemic or not.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't expecting this to arrive this year at this point, so go right ahead.

When it's ready, it'll be ready. I trust them.

Oct 26, 2017
Covid is not to blame for everything in the world. The game had already been delayed by a year by the time the pandemic started. They obviously had a plan and it didn't work out or they decided to make the game bigger than it was.

3 years is a long time for a DLC, pandemic or not.

What...? Did you even bother to read what I said?

I specifically mentioned that the pivot to remote work and/or creating safety protocols is a huge derail to any indie studio's plans (on top of the country of origin's lockdowns if there are any). So if they had a specifically outline a plan that would take x number of years, that derail is going to lengthen the expected timeline.

Hence why people need to stop complaining about the amount of time that it's taking. And frankly you can piss off with the whole "Covid is not to blame for everything" because that was never the point of the conversation.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What...? Did you even bother to read what I said?

I specifically mentioned that the pivot to remote work and/or creating safety protocols is a huge derail to any indie studio's plans (on top of the country of origin's lockdowns if there are any). So if they had a specifically outline a plan that would take x number of years, that derail is going to lengthen the expected timeline.

Hence why people need to stop complaining about the amount of time that it's taking. And frankly you can piss off with the whole "Covid is not to blame for everything" because that was never the point of the conversation.
Quite ironic you saying I didn't read what you said when it's actually you the one who is not reading.

You're saying lockdowns and the pandemic affected their plans and that's what caused the delays. The reality is the game had already been delayed by a whole year before Covid was even a thing. So no, you can't blame Covid for them delaying the game in 2019.

Oct 26, 2017
Quite ironic you saying I didn't read what you said when it's actually you the one who is not reading.

You're saying lockdowns and the pandemic affected their plans and that's what caused the delays. The reality is the game had already been delayed by a whole year before Covid was even a thing. So no, you can't blame Covid for them delaying the game in 2019.

???

Holy shit you really have reading comprehension problems. No one is talking about the initial delay.

"So if they had a specifically outline a plan that would take x number of years, that derail is going to lengthen the expected timeline."

You using 2019 as some sort of gotcha is pathetic and shows you lack any kind of nuance to understand the struggles of indie studios during the pandemic.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
???

Holy shit you really have reading comprehension problems. No one is talking about the initial delay.

"So if they had a specifically outline a plan that would take x number of years, that derail is going to lengthen the expected timeline."

You using 2019 as some sort of gotcha is pathetic and shows you lack any kind of nuance to understand the struggles of indie studios during the pandemic.
The user you quoted was talking about the entire period the game has been in development. If you only want to focus on these last 9 months instead of the 2.5+ years the game has been in development (with an original release date of 2019) so that it fits your narrative of blaming Covid, then go ahead.

What's pathetic is getting so worked up about nothing on a forum. But keep at it, buddy.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if it takes another year. Cuphead is a masterpiece and they should only cap it off when they're good and ready.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Steam page

In Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course, Cuphead and Mugman are joined by Ms. Chalice for a DLC add-on adventure on a brand new island! With new weapons, new charms, and Ms. Chalice's brand new abilities, take on a new cast of multi-faceted, screen-filling bosses to assist Chef Saltbaker in Cuphead's final challenging quest.

This seems like a sequel already so they can take all the time they need

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

The type of development they do just straight up takes forever and can't be compared to traditional game dev times imo. Best to forget about the game entirely for a few years and just be like "hey, neat!" when you see it released tbh.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They most likely (correctly) focused on the ports. Take your time, game looks great and DLC should keep that same level of polish.

Oct 26, 2017
The user you quoted was talking about the entire period the game has been in development. If you only want to focus on these last 9 months instead of the 2.5+ years the game has been in development (with an original release date of 2019) so that it fits your narrative of blaming Covid, then go ahead.

What's pathetic is getting so worked up about nothing on a forum. But keep at it, buddy.

You do realize the pandemic is current and ongoing right? That holds a greater degree of relevancy than to talk about 2019 which we don't know about (The most we can do is speculate, such as Studio MDHR likely includes delays related to hand drawing assets and the fact that the studio only consists of 15 people with the leads being major contributors).
The whole reason I focused on the pandemic is because as I've mentioned multiple times (which you don't seem to understand), that's a huge derail onto any small studio's planning on top of any delays they may have faced prior to. If 2019 consisted of delays related to art style (again, highly speculative), then I'm sure you realize the issues with having to convert to work-from-home/remote work, or changing up the studio layout to follow government standards.

"Narrative of blaming Covid" ??? If you want to argue against facts then go right ahead. Maybe you should stay in your lane and read up on the effects of the pandemic facing small businesses/studios.