• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
You'll earn the GP characters easily by just playing a few online games. It's getting all the other stuff that can be grindy as hell. Paying 8 dollars to get the track and all the characters would be more money than a lot of people (including myself) are currently paying for it.

That's one of the reasons free dlc+microtransactions is popular. It puts the burden of spending on only a few people, so there's less ruckus from the masses.
I see, I was just wondering why you omitted the characters

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Jim Sterling discusses this in his latest video.

I don't see how this critique applies to CTR:

Over the course of this console generation and some of the last gen, games have been designed to become less rewarding, more grindy, more resembling the free to play economy... ...Unlockable rewards, character skins, cosmetic upgrades; these were all part of the basic package. Once upon a time you would buy a game and it would be a complete product, with in-game rewards as standard. Now the game industry has taken that out, sold it back to us at a premium, and we're expected to be grateful for it. Well that can fuck off. That idea can fuck right off.

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled has all the same in-game rewards of the original and more, well before you even touch the Pit Stop. They didn't take anything out from the once upon a time complete product. Everything in the Pit Stop goes well beyond what was in the original game, and I don't think they would have ever added it in if they didn't have some plan of getting returns on it. There are few games that produce content of this quality at this rate for free, no strings attached.

I'm going to tell Activision where to stuff it if they inflate prices or nerf coin/nitro gain rates from where they are now, but having experienced many of these monetization models, CTR: Nitro Fueled as it stands is among the least grindy. I've got over 75% of the store's contents and it's only been about six weeks since launch. I missed one of those weeks wholesale, and I haven't played daily.

However, that's with the caveat that you have to have online play (either with a friend or randoms). While it's a smart method to keep matchmaking populated, I do think there needs to be a better reward system for those who can only play offline (in the meantime, a stopgap solution can be had if you have a turbo controller or a way to input a macro and don't mind leaving your system running overnight. Crystal challenges. Hard mode. Confirm button on turbo.)

As it is, I'm much happier getting free brand new tracks and dealing with a moderate grind for cosmetics than I would be if they were selling this stuff in $10 bundles. Months down the line you'd almost never get the chance to race on the new tracks online. That was the whole issue with map packs last gen and a good chunk of this gen.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You just can't trust Activision anymore with any of their games. They will always pull a sneaky one on you just after all the reviews and initial sales are done to gain all the Goodwill. It's honestly genius from a business perspective.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
You just can't trust Activision anymore with any of their games. They will always pull a sneaky one on you just after all the reviews and initial sales are done to gain all the Goodwill. It's honestly genius from a business perspective.

Reviewers should wait a month or two before reviewing Activision games now.

(Or just edit their reviews to reflect this BS.)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But what if they could release that content in packs that we paid for? Say $7.99 a pack or get two packs for $11.99?

Map packs split the playerbase. You have those with the DLC tracks, those without the DLC tracks. Those with half the DLC tracks, those with the other half. It splinters the playerbase.

If you want to do DLC packs, tracks cannot be part of it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
CTR might actually be the first game I trade in years. I was really looking forward to it but it just hasn't done the job for me. Felt like it took one of my favourite and most enjoyed racers from the PS1 era and just made it... not fun any more? I don't really like racing the AI, the handling just doesn't quite feel right in terms of control response and the non race challenges in SP are all an enourmous pain in the ass. I loaded up the old on on my PSP yesterday and it still plays gloriously. I just cannot get on with the remake.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So the Grand Prix update is here and... The 2x weekend wumpa coin bonus is gone despite it being Friday. Exactly as people predicted, Beenox are reducing coin earnings to coincide with the addition of microtransactions. I guess the grind just wasn't enough already. Edit: The weekend bonus is now back up. It looks like there was just a mishap with the Grand Prix update. Faith slightly restored.

Not coincidentally, the Grand Prix also introduced an absurdly expensive car bundle, the most expensive the game has had so far.

EA-jTKeXYAEQwCL

As someone who loves this game... I am so tired of this horseshit. It is seriously sapping my will to still play it.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So the Grand Prix update is here and... The 2x weekend wumpa coin bonus is gone despite it being Friday. Exactly as people predicted, Beenox are reducing coin earnings to coincide with the addition of microtransactions.

Not coincidentally, the Grand Prix also introduced an absurdly expensive car bundle, the most expensive the game has had so far.

EA-jTKeXYAEQwCL

As someone who loves this game... I am so tired of this horseshit. It is seriously sapping my will to still play it.
In the other thread people calculated that the bundle is on par for what the items would cost individually plus a little discount.

The missing weekend wumpa time is absolute bs though.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the other thread people calculated that the bundle is on par for what the items would cost individually plus a little discount.

The missing weekend wumpa time is absolute bs though.
Of course, but it's a bundle so you can't buy the car individually. Which means grinding a shitton of coins if you want just one item out of the bundle.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the Grand Prix update is here and... The 2x weekend wumpa coin bonus is gone despite it being Friday. Exactly as people predicted, Beenox are reducing coin earnings to coincide with the addition of microtransactions. I guess the grind just wasn't enough already.

EA-jTKeXYAEQwCL

giphy.gif

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Tested it: The weekend wumpa time (2x coins) is gone. I haven't had any regular wumpa coins reduced, other than that.

Also, the bundle that costs the most wumpa coins, seems fine, considering it has more than a regular bundle, right?

the MTX sucks, though.I want to say I can't believe it, but it's activision.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: System warring.
Tested it: wumpa time is gone. I haven't had any regular wumpa coins reduced, other than the 2x bonus they were doing.

Also, the bundle that costs the most wumpa coins, seems fine, considering it has more than a regular bundle, right?

The problem is that if you just want the car out of the bundle, it costs more than twice as much as many of the other car bundles and you can't get it individually. They know what they're doing.

I guess the obnoxious Nintendo Stans have something to celebrate.

Edit: Amazing to get warned for system warring for commenting about fans of the company that makes the system I primarily play on.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Tested it: The weekend wumpa time (2x coins) is gone. I haven't had any regular wumpa coins reduced, other than that.

Weekend bonus is up now.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I wish it was illegal to add MTX after launch. So fucking scummy to do the same old shit, just making sure to wait long enough so reviewers won't dunk on them for it. Kinda feels like false advertising.