• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Drive-by trolling, long history of similar infractions. Sending an abuse and hostile email towards staff.
Any microtransaction available to buy the missing 30fps?

Trash.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To Activision:
tenor.gif
Lol!!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If only there was another game that came out this year with unobtrusive microtransactions that the vocal majority on Era love, but people who had no interest in the game just had to let people know how upset they were with it, and how they were 'interested, but not going to bother now.'
If only...
dad.gif

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If only there was another game that came out this year with unobtrusive microtransactions that the vocal majority on Era love, but people who had no interest in the game just had to let people know how upset they were with it, and how they were 'interested, but not going to bother now.'
If only...
dad.gif
TIL Devil May Cry V has microtransactions.
You are almost like clockwork on all negative threads about Crash Bandicoot lmao keep up the good work penguin, I guess crash indeed kill your family.

ZMIiW4O.gif
The fuck is your problem?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
That's disappointing. I hope it doesn't adversely affect the grind to unlock content. My pessimism says it eventually will, but I want to be proven wrong.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If only...
dad.gif

Whilst it is fair to say it's best to wait and see how obtrusive they are. No microtransactions are still better than none.

And for Switch owners who want to play the game on the commute where they won't have the internet, requiring an internet connection to gain currency is still an obnoxious to deal with.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no thanks, I'll be keeping my money and removing this from my wishlist.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I was in the Top 5% of the first GP. And I considered this game to be my favourite kart racer ever made.

The part that hurts about this the most is how obvious it was it was coming. The entire design of the economy is just asking to be monetized.

I will never pay for a microtransation in a paid game so I'm not sure if I can continue playing it anymore. Man I'm so bummed with this. It was something else.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I have with this is that earning coins was made way too grindy because of it.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Even if it was obvious with Activision behind, it's still very disappointing considering how many already thought the game was grindy. They obviously had to monetize the game somehow, but they should've been transparent with this.

What if they monetized it by charging players a price for the game up front? Like $39.99, for example.

Oct 28, 2017
That's disappointing. I hope it doesn't adversely affect the grind to unlock content. My pessimism says it eventually will, but I want to be proven wrong.
It's already a grind. It has been a shitty grind since launch. The addition of microtransactions will change nothing there. They don't need to. It's already slow as shit to unlock stuff. That's how we knew this was coming.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's already a grind. It has been a shitty grind since launch. The addition of microtransactions will change nothing there. They don't need to. It's already slow as shit to unlock stuff. That's how we knew this was coming.

I honestly haven't found it all that bad. I've probably played a few hours a week since launch (closer to launch it would've been more, but in the last few weeks probably no more than three hours), and while obviously I haven't unlocked everything, I have unlocked a ton of stuff. Loads of paintjobs, probably like a dozen character skins (in addition to all of the Nitro Squad characters), a few wheel sets and sticker packs.

Not denying it's a slow-release formula they have going on, but it only really seems grindy to me if you're the kind of person who has to have every item, immediately.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that makes this disgusting to me is that they were heavily promoting the fact they weren't doing microtransactions during E3. Clearly we knew it was coming from the beginning, the moment it became clear your coins are stored online it was pretty much confirmed all microtransaction systems were already in place. I feel companies should be held responsible for obvious consumer deceit like this, but of course the technicality of them technically adding it a month later is enough to get around legal stuff like that. It disgusting honestly, but I didn't expect anything less from Activision.

Next up, keeping a watch on the ingame coin earn rate. No doubt that's the next controversy in line, surely Activision can't stop themselves from messing some ingame droprate to try to squeeze more money out.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man, you can tell so many posters were salivating during their wait for MTX to be here to be able to finally have something "bad" to talk about and point up.The moment I'll flip my shit is when they increase prices arbitrarily and/or reduce Coins payout, which they have not done yet and that rumor about them nerfing payout in a previous patch is false, they actually explained how it works. I'm getting more tracks for free and I don't plan to pay a single more dime for this game besides the $40 I paid at lunch, this changes nothing for me as things are now. As I said, it's very clear which posters were waiting and hoping for this to finally happen to, for some reason, have something to point to as a negative.

It's hilarious really. The hate some posters have for Crash's extremely successful revival is pathetic

"How dare people say this plays better than muh Mario Kart".

Regarding the MTX. I've had 0 issues in getting everything I want that require Coins.

The Nitro payout (earned through gameplay during the GP seasons) is too low tho.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Next up, keeping a watch on the ingame coin earn rate. No doubt that's the next controversy in line, surely Activision can't stop themselves from messing some ingame droprate to try to squeeze more money out.

Fortunately people made payout charts long ago, the first time they changed the coin rates (which wasn't a nerf, mind, but an adjustment that brought payouts on a bunch of tracks up and a couple down to make every track worth playing), so if anything changes it will be easy to tell.

And the pricing structure for items has been pretty straightforward. Kart and character bundles are around 4,000-5,000, sticker packs are 1,000-3,000, wheels and skins are 2,500, characters and paintjobs are 1,500, and decals are 250-1,500.

If those get suddenly more expensive, we'll see it.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Review period is long gone. Time to add in to the MTX.

I hate when games pull this shit but, admittedly, the delay before adding MTX was longer this time than most.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Smart, release your game without mtx to avoid any controversy, then add them in shortly thereafter.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If only...
dad.gif
I wouldn't call the microtransactions in DMC5 unobtrusive. They kinda ruin the ranking system.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
It's odd that they'd add the ability to purchase Wumpa Coins when they're so abundant by.... just playing the game.

To me, this just seems like they're offering shortcuts for people who don't have the time to play as much as they would like to unlock stuff in the in-game shop/pit stop.

I feel strongly about mtx in most cases (Hearthstone, GTAV, etc.) but this time I feel some of you are blowing this out of proportion. It's still a fantastic game with an abundance of in-game currency available to those who play semi-regularly.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's odd that they'd add the ability to purchase Wumpa Coins when they're so abundant by.... just playing the game.

Yep, DMC5 and both PvZ Garden Warfare games are like this. You can buy the in game currency, but you get so much by just playing the game that it just feels like a tacked on addition that isn't really meant to be used.

If there were lootboxes it'd be worse, obviously, but there's a daily rotation, the store will refresh if you buy a slot (so if you buy a skin, a new skin will come in its place, you don't need to wait until the next day, outside of event items), and the game is clear about what content is available from the in game store.

In terms of payout, offline gives you less, but that still accumulates as you play through Adventure, time trials, and local co-op, but for 30 minutes of on track time a day online, which I'd say averages out at just under an hour when you count loading times, and lobbies, you'll earn around 3,400 on weekdays, and 6,800 on Fri, Sat, Sun. So that's 34,000 coins in a week, solely from the 30 minute online bonus each day.

Again, it's much less than that offline, but that was the case anyway.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'll stick to Mario Kart then. CTR is one of my favorite games of all time, but the no pc release and this news has turned me off.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
But what if they could release that content in packs that we paid for? Say $7.99 a pack or get two packs for $11.99?
That's a way to do it. I'd rather get this system where everyone gets the map instantly and you can easily get the new characters without paying.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it wouldnt be gross if this new content (tracks plus racers) was sold as 10 dollar dlc packs. But they know they can make more money this way i suppose

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
it wouldnt be gross if this new content (tracks plus racers) was sold as 10 dollar dlc packs. But they know they can make more money this way i suppose
Publishers have almost ditched the season pass tactic when they can exploit people's FOMO. Loot boxes are about to be gone as well so everyone is just gonna ape the Fortnite model.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this, I hate it, this is such a nightmare, this curse, good god...

Let it out, take it out, I want this bullshit away from Crash, this is just too much for me to handle. I could've just been trash-talking about baby characters, that would've been better instead of seeing this unfold.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For the vast majority of players, paid DLC would mean spending more money. Currently, tracks are immediately available, racers are easy to get quickly with just a few online races. The real wumpa coin grind is getting all the extra paint jobs and decals and skins and karts and wheels.

Of course, just because people like me spend less money in the current system doesn't make it any less exploitative.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
For the vast majority of players, paid DLC would mean spending more money. Currently, tracks are immediately available, racers are easy to get quickly with just a few online races. The real wumpa coin grind is getting all the extra paint jobs and decals and skins and karts and wheels.
You're forgetting that GP characters (even though they're cheap at 1500 wc and one each GP season can be unlocked at Bronze Tier) are locked behind this grind, this is one of the reasons why it's a problem

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You're forgetting that GP characters (even though they're cheap at 1500 wc and one each GP season can be unlocked at Bronze Tier) are locked behind this grind, this is one of the reasons why it's a problem
You'll earn the GP characters easily by just playing a few online games. It's getting all the other stuff that can be grindy as hell. Paying 8 dollars to get the track and all the characters would be more money than a lot of people (including myself) are currently paying for it.

That's one of the reasons free dlc+microtransactions is popular. It puts the burden of spending on only a few people, so there's less ruckus from the masses.