• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This thread turned to an ugly corner real quick. Wtf.

I think maybe there should be an official thread to discuss the issue. Spread awareness and all.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just the characters that have a watermelon skin.

Well there's only one other Watermelon skin in the game, and it's this one:
D-0SgvNU0AAS19z.jpg

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
We've officially covered all the bases
Did I say that? Read my post again, describing my particular experience has nothing to do with normalizing the stereotype. In fact, I fully agree it should be patched. My issue is with the amount of people crucifying the developer (a company with sometimes hundreds of people) without proper understanding of how development and QA works.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
This is either the most blatant or most oblivious it has ever been.

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Because no one can take anything anymore, people just bitch and moan about EVERYTHING these days. Maybe I have thicker skin (pretty damn sure about it, actually), but not everything has to be taken under a microscope. Like I said, in this case call it player choice (and creative freedom); want to play with that particular skin, go ahead, else just avoid it. I'm white, you don't see me bitching about every fucking white person that doesn't look like me in a game. It's a game, who cares, just sell it if you really can't take it (or don't even buy it), or just take one of the other skins. You don't HAVE to pick it, you know, just ignore it. What a generation these days.
that white fragility at work

Did I say that? Read my post again, describing my particular experience has nothing to do with normalizing the stereotype. In fact, I fully agree it should be patched. My issue is with the amount of people crucifying the developer (a company with sometimes hundreds of people) without proper understanding of how development and QA works.
This tells me that (within that team of hundreds) there are next to 0 POC working on the game.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This tells me that (within that team of hundreds) there are next to 0 POC working on the game.
While it's possible that most of the people who worked on the game were white. I think it could also be due to a lack of communication between the devs and the higher-ups. The people taking decisions could all be white, while there could be some PoC devs, but who weren't listened to. (it's that Anthem article that makes me thinks it's also a possibility)

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
I imagine that 90% of the team has never seen this particular skin, it's the job of only a small part of a game developing team to check all the content. In any case they do need better QA.

In depth QA is often outsourced. I have worked with QA teams from Vietnam and India for example.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The higher quality image looks a whole lot different from the one the person who made this thread originally posted. They should definitely recolor her skin, that's just what the solution absolutely needs to be, even if I don't think they did it on purpose. I do think this thread started on a bad note in general though because the picture that was originally provided was inaccurate and made it look even worse.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I just checked in-game and the actual model has not a darker skin/fur than the base skin. It changes from yellow-orange to yellow-reddish. I have no idea what is up with the icon tho, that is just wrong and also does not represent the actual model.

Having said that: as a German, I am fully aware of the watermelon stereotype and saying that we Europeans should not be expected to know about it by now is not the right thing to go into that discussion like, at all.

Last edited:

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked Crash so I'm going to hope this was done out of ignorance. If that's the case ND needs to better educate their employees on harmful stereotypes going forward.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The name is based on her watermelon themed clothes. Other characters have skins named after their clothes like Lemonade Megumi, and there's even another character with a watermelon themed skin, Watermelon Oxide. I see no reason to assume it was malicious.

He knew what he was doing, really? Can you elaborate how you know that?

Most people do not hang on forums 24/7 to know all possible insults and stereotype jokes. Instead of attacking them maybe, just maybe explain what the problem is to they can go and fix it without causing a circle jerk reaction evrytime.

I get the felling that people are more interested in causing drama and hate cycle then trying to overcome/resolve problems.

TBH I just saw the higher res screenshot where you see the little black spots on her shirt this morning, that one wasn't loading on my phone/data yesterday.

So yeah, my bad on this one.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lol, I was poking fun at the fact that whenever there is a topic about race someone mentions they have a black friend.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been said already in the thread, but the lower quality image doesn't look like the higher quality one at all, she isn't darker skinned and has a watermelon design on the t-shirt which explains the name... Are we sure the original pic wasn't edited to make it become offensive based on the skin name?
I own the Switch version the OP screenshotted. She has slightly darker brown fur and the shirt has the watermelon seed design (which likely was just lost due to the angle/resolution of that particular screenshot). Please don't accuse the OP of editing images.

I don't find it hard to believe any offense was unintentional. I know about the stereotype but never made the connection with her auburn fur.
I feel like a lot of people are just coming in this thread having not played the game, seeing the picture in the OP in a vacuum, and then immediately going "it's so obvious!" Well yes, it's obvious when you have the picture of the skin in a thread pointing out a racially insensitive skin.

I don't find it surprising at all that Beenox didn't notice though, because before this thread I don't think I've seen anyone notice that connection.

Last edited:

Hage

Mar 15, 2018
I own the Switch version the OP screenshotted. She has slightly darker brown fur and the shirt has the watermelon seed design (which likely was just lost due to the angle/resolution of that particular screenshot). Please don't accuse the OP of editing images.

I feel like a lot of people are just coming in this thread having not played the game, seeing the picture in the OP in a vacuum, and then immediately going "it's so obvious!" Well yes, it's obvious when you have the picture of the skin in a thread pointing out a racially insensitive skin.

I don't find it surprising at all that Beenox didn't notice though, because before this thread I don't think I've seen anyone notice that connection.
Apologies, later afterwards I saw that on my Switch version and she does look indeed different from the higher quality one, like it is in the screenshot. In general I did not want to accuse the OP specifically, I was assuming it was taken from some other source. Sorry again @OP if my message came across that way.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The model looks fine to me but the icon is a bit suspect. Maybe they noticed it and changed the model before release and forgot the icon was the same?

All of the character icons are a bit darker, so idk.
The colour in the icon does look like the hair's colour though, so I think it's meant to be auburn/red rather than brown.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Reading up on this it sounds like it's more well known and historically significant in the US. Not to say it doesn't exist in the UK, but I've never come across it. You'd think that being based in North America, the developers would be more aware of this. Regardless of intention, and I'd be surprised it there's anything behind it other than ignorance, it should be patched out.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's nice to see people on here will dunk on QA any chance they get when it comes to this stuff. QA's primary job is to find bugs, not report potential problematic content. And even if they did report it, QA that is outsourced or internals working minimum wage are rarely taken seriously in these situations.

If you want to blame someone, blame the people who made the decision to name the skin.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading through this thread yesterday and the "hot takes" I was reading. So much ignorance... I bought this for my partner who is a POC, I don't know if I should give him the heads up on this.

If you think that this character skin would possibly make him uncomfortable, then tell him.
If I was personally in your shoes, though, I would also mention that I do not believe that the racial connotations were intentional and it's likely going to be fixed soon, but of course that is a lot more subjective decision.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm irish and never heard about this. I'd imagine the vast majority of young Irish don't either. And why would we unless you have an interest in American history and culture. We didn't have the same issues here because we were the slaves ourselves under British rule.

That's Internet forums for you. They have programmed many of us to be lazy.

I'm English though and I know about this stereotype. I guess the internet doesn't discriminate and so when racist memes about fried chicken and watermelon float around, people around the world come across them and are exposed to racism regardless of where they live.

Trn25

Banned
May 23, 2019
If you think that this character skin would possibly make him uncomfortable, then tell him.
If I was personally in your shoes, though, I would also mention that I do not believe that the racial connotations were intentional and it's likely going to be fixed soon, but of course that is a lot more subjective decision.
He said he doesn't care, even if it was intentional!!! I fee another break up coming on :(

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This thread went up on a weekend; now that it's Monday however I am frankly shocked that there has been no response from either Activision or Beenox on this issue (which could be remedied by any number of incredibly-quick fixes). Even more disappointingly, not many people seem to be talking about this at all.

I was literally about to purchase this game, but will be holding off until this random racist blunder is removed. It is asking almost nothing to rectify this.

Reason #1,257 to hire POCs to work at your games studio: Because white people left to their own devices can apparently be this daft.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pfft, so cause she is a bit darker she can't have watermelon cause that is somehow racist?
As it's probably stated, it's a racist stereotype , akin to the black people like fried chicken, grape drink/pop , eat watermelon. Hell the watermelon thing I think was part of some black face skit from the early 20s or earlier.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post and misrepresenting concerns surrounding harmful stereotypes
As it's probably stated, it's a racist stereotype , akin to the black people like fried chicken, grape drink/pop , eat watermelon. Hell the watermelon thing I think was part of some black face skit from the early 20s or earlier.
I know i'm getting banned for asking this.
So because she is made in a game like that is racist, but if a black chick calls herself watermelon and is like her it's not?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So because she is made in a game like that is racist, but if a black chick calls herself watermelon and is like her it's not?
You are "going to be banned for asking this" because you are aware that you are asking something in bad faith.

A video game character isn't real. It is not a thinking being that exercised agency in dressing itself like a racial stereotype. It is a 3D model created by developers [who were probably white] who, unconsciously or otherwise, inserted a racist stereotype into the design of the character.

Comparing this situation to "a black chick call[ing] herself watermelon" (which, by the way, wow, there is so much to unpack in this phraseology that I am not even going to try) is absurd.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
And to think I almost bought this.. no way no thanks

I wouldnt go that far dude. Im barely even playing my copy anymore and I still think its a decent game. It's very likely this wasn't intended and may even be changed. Lets chill out a bit here. The team behind this has done nothing to give us reason to not give them the benefit of the doubt here.

You missed your chance to stuff in a "Well why can't I say the word if they can" while you had the chance brah.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
You are "going to be banned for asking this" because you are aware that you are asking something in bad faith.

A video game character isn't real. It is not a thinking being that exercised agency in dressing itself like a racial stereotype. It is a 3D model created by developers [who were probably white] who, unconsciously or otherwise, inserted a racist stereotype into the design of the character.

Comparing this situation to "a black chick call[ing] herself watermelon" (which, by the way, wow, there is so much to unpack in this phraseology that I am not even going to try) is absurd.
I can't believe that poster asked that question..

WHy would a black woman call herself a watermelon in the first place. I actually laughed at how ridiculous the question is.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If I as an American can know about Zwarte Piet y'all non-Americans can know about the watermelon thing. Fuckin' Christ.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, that's a bad look. Ignorant or not, doesn't matter.. patch that shit the fuck right out of the game ASAP.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing this link. If the developer has provided a place to receive community feedback then I will absolutely be using it to voice my disappointment in this situation and would encourage everyone to do the same.
No problem. It's good to be vocal about these things.

I sent a message suggesting them to change the name to "Strawberry Tawna"; it still fits the current skin design while removing the stereotype.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I literally said 'whoa' out loud, how the heck does this pass through QC? Hopefully this is just a one-off thing done by some rogue employee and not a systemic issue with the culture there.
You're lucky they only banned you a week for asking this stupid question