• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
On my TV, from the thumbnail it really looks like harmless skin tone changes for the character from yellow to red, pale blue and pale orange.

A quick name change would indeed be the easiest way to stay away from any harmful stereotype. Beenox seem to be really great developers so I don't see them ignoring such feedback.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Really? You profile says you are from Río de Janeiro, I have seen racist memes in portuguese using the watermelon stereotype. It's not like brazilians don't know about it.
I never heard about it, born and raised in são paulo D:

It's awfully out of touch but don't always assume people know about stuff they can't know about :/ we know it's a bad thing in the us and some countries now, that should be enough

Edit: to be fair, giving any woman a fruits name in brazil is mildly sexist as there was a time "fruit women" were a thing in popular culture :|, it was not great. And there was a "watermelon woman", term here is associated with curves and not skin color as far as i know

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racist stereotypes
LOL at people being mad that some others aren't familiar with some racial stereotypes, and being condescending and offensive

Yikes

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Take a wild guess on which type of people were not on that QA team...

This isn't really what QA do, content like this should be controlled at a production level with QA checking for errors.

And yeah this needs to be changed ASAP, you're meaning is right in that more diverse development teams would've helped avoid it in the first place.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a lovely forum this would be if every time someone asked a question they were told to google it.
There is a difference between explaining stuff like...how a software works or how to cook something and explaining why something is racist/homophobic/sexist, people can get tired of the later.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wasn't aware of the racial stereotype until I searched Wiki. Do have to wonder what QA is used for nowadays when things like this aren't flagged internally.

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I get it's annoying, but it's much better than the alternative of letting people be ignorant and as I said above, this is a discussion forum and this is one of its purposes as well.
If you get why it's annoying (to say the least) Then why didn't you do a quick 60 second Google search before posting in this thread ?
Not being from the US I have never, ever, heard anything about this "stereotype"

This cant be known in europe, right?
I'm from Europe, and confirm it's is known.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's anyone's job, but I do think it's a sensible approach to try to educate people about a stereotype that they might not be familiar with.

That said, let's not pretend that racist imagery is, like a vampire, unable to cross water. Racial imagery absolutely does spread out of is point of origin:

7632314_origonk63.jpg

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why does nothing racially progressive ever happen on accident

Not racial, but one of the skins for another character, Fake Crash, uses colours of the gay and trans pride flags.
He's pink with cyan gloves/shoes and white highlights (like the trans flag), and his pants are rainbow. Not sure if that was intentional, but it certainly is great!

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really what QA do, content like this should be controlled at a production level with QA checking for errors.

And yeah this needs to be changed ASAP, you're meaning is right in that more diverse development teams would've helped avoid it in the first place.
Hi, while I agree it should have been caught during creation, QA is yet another level where someone playing this game could have caught this addition and could have flagged it among bug notes. While the focus is in catching errors, it was another failure for all parties involved. If there were any Black people involved (which i suspect there weren't), maybe Activision et al wouldn't be here right now.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stereotype is 100% confined to american culture and its surroundings. Outside of america this is just not a thing. So if you aren't even aware of it, making the connection between black people and watermelon doesn't even cross your mind. The whole world doesn't revolve around the US.
Educate them and save this condescending attitude for something else.
Nah, it a UK thing as well, so not just a US thing. Not every black person wants to educate people on racist shit over and over again. It shouldn't just be down to black people to educate people either.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For everyone going "how could they miss this" and "this had to be intentional": I've never seen someone even notice the skin being offensive before this thread. That's not to say it's not offensive, but please remember the developers are not omniscient.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
As usual, no one cares about the issue at hand any more but would rather continue some weird ass American v RotW shitshow

Elfzonder

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
There is a difference between explaining stuff like...how a software works or how to cook something and explaining why something is racist/homophobic/sexist, people can get tired of the later.
Hmmm, how could someone knows it's a tiring question, when he didn't know about it before? Logic, man.

"He should have known before and it's his fault if I threw fit to him for do not knowing such things!" is a so bad elitist attitude and should be avoided in a cool place such as Era.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it a UK thing as well, so not just a US thing. Not every black person wants to educate people on racist shit over and over again. It shouldn't just be down to black people to educate people either.
Like I said before some people dont get get why this make us angry and why its so damn tiresome.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I was staring at the character for a while wondering what I'm missing, then I look at the name... fucking hell how do you miss that.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You and the others like metalingus don't have to be a complete self righteous fuckwit about it tho.
Saying something like "educate yourself" is not self righteus unless you are too used to people explaining everything to you.

Brazil is notorious for color-ism. You can't sell that.

from some post here you would think Brazil is rasim free. This is my problem with some fellow latinos, they refuse to admit there is racism and colorism in our countries and deflect it and blame Americans and stuff. Some Brazilians posters did the same in the black face thread and they don't realize how mostly of Brazilian TV is full of white or white passing actors and that other stuff.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Not being from the US I have never, ever, heard anything about this "stereotype"

This cant be known in europe, right? Is the developer in the US?

Never heard about it either. Why are people attacking other people who hasn't heard about it? This is just unbelievable. It doesn't mean that they approve these kind of thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Well just so you know now, watermelon is a racist association people use with black people. It ties into post-Civil War America where watermelon was one of the crops freed slaves grew for themselves. White people took it and painted racist imagery, often with blackface of it being a lazy food black people ate.

And while I'm not Brazilian, I'm aware of the colorism issues that happen in your country.