• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CTR or MK

• CTR

Votes: 559 27.1%
  • MK

Votes: 1,500 72.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I don't care for kart games but i really dislike when the fanbase of a game can't stop comparing it with another franchise. Like when Alundra fans claim the game is better than Zelda, or Persona fans (since 3) were shitting on FF, or Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory) fans bringing MGS3 up everytime, etc. That makes me less interested in a game.
To quote myself
An advice for everyone to consider:

"That thing you like? It is so shit and inferior compared to this thing!" is one of the poorest ways of promoting something. You're actively turning those people off.

No one ever took the billings of *insertgame*-killer seriously. No one ever will.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
MomoVideo isn't really denying that, just pointing out that D+L/R and brake allow you to hit the ground while holding the brake button and not losing any speed.
Having never played the original CTR, I can't guess at whether this is intended or not. I was just trying to say that, as a pretty novice player, that video still looks like an incredibly achievement of persistence to me.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
So far it looks like over 70% of those who voted still prefer Mario Kart. That's a pretty huge margin. I don't think anyone can deny that CTR is a quality kart racer. Perhaps the best outside of Mario Kart. But the king, it is not.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Even if he's using a mechanic that wasn't intended to be used that way, that video looks like it still requires incredible knowledge of the track and perfect execution.
I like a lot of the shortcuts tracks have that you can take as well, that save a fair amount of time in most cases.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
We're going up the same garden path as Crash trilogy aren't we.. Fact is Crash is a fugly Poochy the dog style Corporate emission for people who were kids in the nineties that bizarrely fuels adult PS console warriors to claim "look we can do Nintendo better than Nintendo".. Internet bubble's gonna bubble.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
There are plenty of things Mario Kart 8 does better. Just comes down to what you prefer in a game.

Debatable but I don't have time to get into. Overall I vastly prefer Crash's skill curve and balance over MK. It's a much better competitive game. Mario Kart's just too Mario for me to take it serious.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
With how big this thread is, I was expecting a much smaller gap with the poll, but nope. I prefer MK as a pure, fun kart racer, but I do appreciate the extra stuff in CTR (and DKR by extension).

Oct 27, 2017
Here is another example of air brake glitch

If you simply hold brake in the air, you will loose speed, but if you hold down arrow too, then you wont loose any speed. Even they guy from the video says this in the comments
Again, I know what it is and why it's being used and what the input is. What I don't know is why you're referring to air braking as a glitch; it's one of the fundamental mechanic required to get around a large number of tracks in the game and for the speed class characters to remain competitive. It's been present since the original CTR and is something which was not removed from the remake (because it's fundamental to multiple tracks) unlike other unintended shortcuts and techniques (e.g. Oxide Station, Papu's Pyramid, Hot Air Skyway). Without it, maintaining speed in maps like Oxide Station, N.Gin Labs, Cortex Castle, Turbo Track, Slide Coliseum, the first shortcut in Polar Pass, and Hot Air Skyway (at the least) would not be nearly as feasible, and is quite critical if you want to collect all of the boxes for platinum relics on some of the tracks.

It's one of the many techniques which are present in CTR for the purpose of maintaining the highest possible speed that you can throughout the tracks (which allows for the incredibly fast and demanding gameplay which allows the series to stand out) combined with the reserve system, the shortcuts, the air hopping, and the boost levels.

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CTR is better in ways that are relevant to me, better tracks with cool shortcuts, much higher learning curve/skill ceiling, better boost mechanics.

Suprised the poll turned out the way it did TBH.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're going up the same garden path as Crash trilogy aren't we.. Fact is Crash is a fugly Poochy the dog style Corporate emission for people who were kids in the nineties that bizarrely fuels adult PS console warriors to claim "look we can do Nintendo better than Nintendo".. Internet bubble's gonna bubble.
Maybe you should actually try the game instead of posting worthless console warrior shit.

Again, I know what it is and why it's being used and what the input is. What I don't know is why you're referring to air braking as a glitch; it's one of the fundamental mechanic required to get around a large number of tracks in the game and for the speed class characters to remain competitive. It's been present since the original CTR and is something which was not removed from the remake (because it's fundamental to multiple tracks) unlike other unintended shortcuts and techniques (e.g. Oxide Station, Papu's Pyramid, Hot Air Skyway). Without it, maintaining speed in maps like Oxide Station, N.Gin Labs, Cortex Castle, Turbo Track, Slide Coliseum, the first shortcut in Polar Pass, and Hot Air Skyway (at the least) would not be nearly as feasible.
The glitch is the brake not slowing you down when you hit the ground and are still holding the brake button.

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be nice when Nitro Fueled comes out on PC and we can actually talk about the gameplay differences without defaulting to "it's 30 FPS so I can't even touch it".
I've been waiting for another great kart racer to come to PC after Sonic Racing Transformed, CTR looks like it's going to be that game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the characters are fucking hideous. I want another racer but goddamn the designs are ugly.
Polar's so cute tho.
tumblr_ps3dxayRgH1txj8weo1_500.gif

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have CTR:NF since release, played it the first day, finished on normal and I don't know why but I haven't come back lol. It's a good game, plays nice and looks nice but I don't like the feeling of the physics, 30fps feels ok but still 30fps, the lack of any online ranking it's a shame and "adventure" mode it's just a hub with tracks lol (I loved it when I was a kid, but I need to face the truth).

Then I came back to MK8D and I love it. Visuals are awesome, runs at 60fps, online it's great and at least for me plays waaaaaaaay better than CTR. For me MK8D it's a clear winner.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you took just as much offense when a similarly biased title with a poll was posed for MK last time right?
This is some weak ass gotcha. I didn't even post in that thread. I didn't know I'm supposed to visit literally every thread on this site.

Even saying that, the thread you linked is not at all similar to this thread in tone and framing and has some actual substance to it compared to the outraged gamer buzzword bingo the OP has going.

Oct 27, 2017
The glitch is the brake not slowing you down when you hit the ground and are still holding the brake button.
I'm not sure how this is a glitch though; it's been a mechanic since the original game, purposely not removed (whereas other glitches have been such as the various Papu Pyramid shortcuts) for the remake, necessary for maintaining speed on the tracks mentioned where the otherwise sharp turns would kill the kart's momentum, and the tracks in the sequel were built (certainly in the remake) around the idea of maintaining USF which the mechanic is essential for doing on the original's tracks where USF is present.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I mean, that's entirely the case with CTR.
...? I feel this sentiment almost applies more to CTR than MK imo.

That hasn't been my experience with the multiplayer, but I do believe you, lol. My experience was pretty much everyone mostly getting from 9th to 12th.

I will say MK is loads more accessible though. Tried to get my GF to play CTR with me, and she seemed interested in it. She put it down and said it sucked after a few races of 8th place. She was getting better, but not quite as quickly as she had hoped I think lol.

I can totally see MK being more accessible than Crash, actually. It's difficult for me to pinpoint what it is about the new Crash that felt frustrating as someone seeing it for the first time, especially while non-MK racers like Sonic Transformed and even the ultra hard F-Zero GX made me feel like I wanted to play more.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having never played the original CTR, I can't guess at whether this is intended or not. I was just trying to say that, as a pretty novice player, that video still looks like an incredibly achievement of persistence to me.
I can see that he is genuinely good at the game. I guess that learning how to use this glitch practically takes a bit of time too, but all of this doesn't change the fact that using exploits in a game is trashy ( especially to show off on YouTube)

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had more fun in CTR than I have with MK in a long time. Love the feel of drifting in CTR.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Crash Nitro Kart is fun, but boy do I hate everything about the Crash universes characters. Every single one either sucks majorly, or is just boring. I like the Polar Bear, but I hate his stats so I'm forced to use some ugly ass character I don't like.

Mario Kart is just a generally more pleasant experience, Crash may be "better" and more "fair" or something like that, but Mario as a franchise holds much more appeal to me, and I just generally like how it feels more.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno about that. Even Pink Gold Peach beats some of the Nitro Kart characters design-wise.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You know sod it, I'm the salt right now and this thread is a fine place to point out that CTR online is not the best.
Maybe for the top echelon of players its a wonderful thrilling race of white knuckle boosting, meanwhile in average land its seemingly got some really sloppy matchmaking that pits all levels together, the hit detection is all over the place like seeing a bomb fired past me and then I explode from it, the whole 30 second finish after the top player wins the race by an entire lap while everyone else duels with a bizarre item hand out that just seems to be random as all hell, as compensation for that whole skill factor letting first cruise off I've noticed you can have the equivalent of blue shells out in multiples which is just bananarama
Not to say that Mario Kart isn't free of the odd teleporting/hitbox kerfuffle or mid pack item fracas while first place cruises off to freedom, but I feel that the strengths of Crash's gameplay get whomped by the item issues while Mario Kart 8 gives the feeling that you can still bounce back from being dealt a bad hand, meanwhile after eating a single players triple rockets my triple bombs seemingly can't defend against that then sent me under the excruciatingly slow demise of the Android Alley train, I knew I wasn't seeing the top 4 again that race, a race I wouldn't finish because "30 seconds left".
And my last race ended as I apparently crossed the finish in first with a connection error that then shut down the game, I was probably never in first huh?
/owls not "gud" enough

(The GP setup they've whipped up is pretty neat even if it mainly leads to the ol' battle pass technique of trying to manage the way you play the game to fulfil random quotas)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The best part of these threads is how you can always tell who's good at CTR and who's not.

I prefer CTR for it's superior driving mechanics, but MK has more tracks and a better online experience.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
better difficulty curve? - yes
more content and amazing post game support? yes
plays better? - no, 30 fps facing
looks better? No. 5 years later and higher tech, but still looks like a mess. Full cast is horrible.

bitch please

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
guess we argue the character design aesthetics now because there's no point in denying that the mechanics in crash are better.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Other Users
All the corporate boot lickers going to bat for Activision regurgitating their "content" one more time for the added value money grab makes Rosalina sad

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
it's not divisive, it's very clear which game is considered superior by the majority of era posters. it's not the first thread to have a similar poll either:

screenshot2019-07-03ax2kz5.png

My only thing with this is; how many of these votes are from people who have actually given CTR a fair shake...?
A lot of votes can be people simply being aware of the differences in framerate, and putting MK8 over it.

It's just disingenuous when people haven't even played competitors to MK, have only ever known MK, and vote against all the competitor titles they've never played because MK is the king in their eyes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think CTR:NF is some perfect game. It veeeeery much so, lacks polish. The online system is still wonky, online racing item distribution and functionality still needs an overhaul, THE PIT STOP, etc., but I want to see more people here giving the game a try before writing it off. Despite all of its flaws, it's honestly my favorite racer ever.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My God, say what you will about this game, but it looks so much better than MK8 it isn't even funny. Graphically speaking it trounces Mario Kart 8, especially the later tracks in the game, absolutely amazing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only thing with this is; how many of these votes are from people who have actually given CTR a fair shake...?
A lot of votes can be people simply being aware of the differences in framerate, and putting MK8 over it.

It's just disingenuous when people haven't even played competitors to MK, have only ever known MK, and vote against all the competitor titles they've never played because MK is the king in their eyes.
can't the same be said for [some] CTR fans? not everyone is interested in nintendo platforms or mario kart. should we assume everyone who picks CTR or says hyperbolic statements like "it destroys mk" has actually played or given a fair chance to mario kart?
btw i really like both, i loved CTR back in the day and i got the remake around launch and i'm having a lot of fun with it (specially today with the grand prix challenges).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It really has nothing to do with whether you can drift, and everything to do with managing the boost you get from drifting according to each track.

So your whole analogy is weird, and begs the question if you actually know what people talk about when they rave about CTR's mechanics.
The bolded is exactly what I meant, but keep thinking it's actually some advanced fighting game mechanic, lol.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Also real quick I wanna say; these kinds of thread titles do NOT help your case if you want people to play the game you like so much... lolol.
Clearly CTR:NF doesn't destroy MK8D in the general posters' eyes, lmao.

My God, say what you will about this game, but it looks so much better than MK8 it isn't even funny. Graphically speaking it trounces Mario Kart 8, especially the later tracks in the game, absolutely amazing.

OK, maybe I shouldn't be sayin' nothing about visuals since I only have the Switch version of the game right now, and it's noticeably crunchy lookin' to me. I want to be able to see how the PS4 version fares whenever I pick it up, as I know it has stronger lighting and overall visual quality.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also real quick I wanna say; these kinds of thread titles do NOT help your case if you want people to play the game you like so much... lolol.
Clearly CTR:NF doesn't destroy MK8D in the general posters' eyes, lmao.
exactly. if i hadn't actually played CTR seeing these kind of hyperbolic threads would have actually turned me off from the game, i would have thought some people have finally gotten a nice-looking non-mk kart racer and are just using it as a tool to start console war bs, like it's not enough for it to be a good or excellent game, but it has to "shit on" another game for it to prove itself.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
can't the same be said for [some] CTR fans? not everyone is interested in nintendo platforms or mario kart. should we assume everyone who picks CTR or says hyperbolic statements like "it destroys mk" has actually played or given a fair chance to mario kart?
btw i really like both, i loved CTR back in the day and i got the remake around launch and i'm having a lot of fun with it (specially today with the grand prix challenges).

I get you, but hhhhonestly... I find that very unlikely, considering the status Mario Kart held from its beginnings to CTR's original release, and even much later after. I imagine the majority of CTR players are very familiar with Mario Kart, me included. It was all I played until this remake released, since I love kart racers, and with the admiration I see from the CTR community for NF, I don't think many of them are coming from a place of unfamiliarity with kart racers, which again, Mario Kart more or less was the primary contributor of that genre.

I definitely am not a fan of the overly hyperbolic statements of "CTR DESTROYSSS MK8", as it isn't really framing your opinion as if it's coming from a place of open-mindedness, but rather wanting the thing you like to be objectively considered better. But I do understand that a lot of CTR players are probably a little soured over the general handwaving mindset some MK players tend to have towards CTR being a knockoff or inferior in "every way". It can get to you, and definitely has gotten to me at some points. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.