• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CTR or MK

• CTR

Votes: 559 27.1%
  • MK

Votes: 1,500 72.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like Sumo's Sonic racing games more than either of them but they're all good!

Mar 29, 2018
They're both great games but there's a reason CTR megafans feel the need to bring MK into the conversation instead of just enjoying the game
First off, I don't think that's true. And secondly, that reason is that they feel CTR is unfairly forgotten. Every fanbase has some title or mode they feel doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Even if you disagree with the threads premise, you know that if CTR was a left field Mario game (like a crossover) it would get tons more even-handed attention and be considered better than at least a couple of the MK games.

I don't really have a stake in the conversation as I barely play any, but handwaving CTRs strengths and fanbase is bad JuJu.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's not like there's a butt load of kart racers these days, there's love enough to go around for both

Optimus-Prime-Never.gif

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
CTR:NF is 30 FPS which is a worse indictment than any of your stupid fanboy categories
It's like he insulted your mother instead of having a different opinion about a video game, geez.

OP, I have never played CTR but all the hype surrounding it has me on the fence about buying a Switch..is the 30 FPS noticable? How's the sense of speed?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
CTR is nearly on the same level as Mario Kart but I think Mario Kart overall feels just a tad more polished. CTR isn't afraid to get a bit wild and I think that's its huge strength, but I overall think MK feels more refined by a small margin.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought CTR was the best kart racer and that still stands with this remaster. It just has an absurd amount of content in it and is only going to keep getting more over the rest of the year. We already have 3 seasons worth announced with more to come.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
First off, I don't think that's true. And secondly, that reason is that they feel CTR is unfairly forgotten. Even if you disagree with the threads premise, you know that if CTR was a left field Mario game (like a crossover) it would get tons of attention and be considered better than at least a couple of the MK games.

I don't really have a stake in the conversation as I barely play any, but handwaving CTRs strengths and fanbase is bad JuJu.
I didn't want to use the word "fanboy" so I went with megafans instead to be less derogatory. I properly enjoy CTR too so I'm part of the fanbase anyway lol

I'll never understand the forgotten argument either - there were multiple Crash racing games and none of them matched CTR - that's why no mindshare for the game exists. CTR was lightning in a bottle, MK consistently pumps out games that resonate with people. I get the claim CTR: NF could be better than games previous to Deluxe but for me I just feel like its the most complete kart racer ever made because it focuses on the racing and is damn good at it.

I didn't crutch on the framerate argument because predictably theres just as many people acting like its the only thing people can say wrong about CTR as there are those claiming that 30fps is the dealbreaker of all dealbreakers.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
MK8 is really a blast, easily the best Mario Kart game ever. Question, have you ever played it with 3+ people local after playing it solo or head to head? The game drops to 30fps, it instantly feels like a different, much less fun game. 30fps is perfectly good for most games, a kart racer isn't one of them. I actually go from actively wanting to play MK8 to being completely uninterested when there is 3 or more players. Sad because I love beating my friends in it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
A 30fps kart racer (even on Xbox One X)? Nah, I'm good.

Activision putting out PS1 remakes that can't hit 60fps is ridiculous.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's like he insulted your mother instead of having a different opinion about a video game, geez.

OP, I have never played CTR but all the hype surrounding it has me on the fence about buying a Switch..is the 30 FPS noticable? How's the sense of speed?
Here's an example of the speeds you can reach in CTR.

Jun 2, 2019
Sorry but I can't agree, Mario Kart 8D is still the gold standard. If anything, only Sonic and all stars racing transformed gets dangerously close.

I'll respect Crash for the solid entry though

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
is that DLC a single track?
MK8's DLC packs were pretty substantial

Basic idea is each month is going to have it's own grand prix and each month will also have a new track released with it. There will also be numerous new customisation items added along with each grand prix, the first one they just released had...

5 New Characters
3 New Vehicles
11 Legendary Skins for various characters
8 New Tire Options
Around 37 paint jobs and stickers added themed around nations of the world.

And it's free content as well, don't need to buy a season pass or anything.

I don't know if they will maintain the exact number of characters and vehicles each month going forward (We know next month has 3 characters). But it's fairly substantial content.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, this sucks. Because the thread title had to be phrased in a dumb way even less people will give ctr an honest chance. Bums me out.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the truth which enlightened people have known since 1999. Mario Kart is hopelessly outdated but hey it works.

Diddy Kong Racing is still on top of everything though.

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (4 Days): Platform Warring; Trolling and Prior Ban for Similar Behavior
Well, looking at the poll results the act of trying again falls onto you, given the premise of the thread.
I mean we have people saying they didn't even play both and mk8 is the best. Nintendo games win polls with crazed fan boys this is common knowledge

Apr 21, 2018
Things preventing my from buying CTR:

-long load times especially on Switch
-courses are pretty but look kind of flat and lack verticality
-I heard the online isn't working well with CTR
-I don't really care for the cast or have any affinity to the locations. MK is a warm nostalgic overload.

I'd love to be proven wrong in these complaints I've heard. My finger is on the purchase trigger. I love MK. I love quick and easy to pick up games. Maybe I'll wait for a sale.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bad argument, since MK and CTR try different thinks with their gameplay. MK tries to be the best casual card-racer and is extremly succsesful achiving this goal with its gameplay, while CTR tries to be more skillful. The same goes for speed and gratification. Just because there are cart racer doesn't mean, they can easily be compared.

Gameplay comes down to preference, yes. You're definitely right about the two setting out to provide different experiences.

I feel that with the exception of 200cc , CTR consistently feels faster- at least when drifting is properly utilized. There is almost never a moment where you're not trying to do SOMETHING to go faster, whether it involves input or positioning.

Because CTR aims to be more skill based like you mentioned, I also feel like the sensation of improving, of learning techniques to keep your boost going, air braking without slowing down, and shortcuts for efficiency is incredibly satisfying.

It feels great to get better. And it feels like there's always more room to do so.

On the other hand, it's not going to be fun or fair for me to play Crash against family members. It does ask too much of you to be an appropriate party game. The party chats that I've been in for CTR kinda feel similar to those I've experienced for fighting games: competitive but friendly, with everyone trying to sharpen their craft against each other and passing along advice.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
An advice for everyone to consider:

"That thing you like? It is so shit and inferior compared to this thing!" is one of the poorest ways of promoting something. You're actively turning those people off.

No one ever took the billings of *insertgame*-killer seriously. No one ever will.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I wish both this and STR had a demo. I love MK8, and I'd willingly play either of the others, but I'm hesitant to take the leap of faith without being able to try them first.

Nov 18, 2017
While im thoroughly enjoying CTR i dont see me going back to it as much MK8D & its all down to the tracks. I actually think MK looks better graphically thank CTR. sure CTR on consoles is 1440p but i think the track length, track design & overall stage graphics and presentation are waaaay stronger in MK8.

I am freaking loving how drifting works in CTR tho, the overall car handling took me a little while to get used to but I love it.

With better tracks to race on CTR could totally over take it for me, but until that day i still gotta leave the crown with the plumber boy.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Do people immediately think hyperbolic titles are some kind of attack on people who don't agree?

Anyway there's way too many Nintendo fans who grew up with iteration after iteration of mk to ever give ctr a decent chance

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people immediately think hyperbolic titles are some kind of attack on people who don't agree?
Yes, that's why you have use hyperbolic titles carefully.

Anyway there's way too many Nintendo fans who grew up with iteration after iteration of mk to ever give ctr a decent chance
People, who like Mario Kart, may like it because it is a casual game to play with friends. CTR being more skillful is actually a turn off for many and that's why the don't give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.