• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
He's getting a historical rehabilitation because he's kept pretty quiet post-presidency and has buddied up with other former presidents like going to Biden's inauguration. And he's not Trump, so he's not going around inciting insurrections and the like. But I also think people have short memories and have already forgotten the horrors of Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's why I don't put much stock in these lists and all the ranking changes. They give you a general idea, but are far from perfect.
True, though this is a survey of historians. Makes it extra embarrassing.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I don't know how a president that worked towards the overthrow and destruction of our democracy and would have probably tried to install himself as a dictator could not get last place on this list.

You should really read into James Buchanan's presidency. He personally made sure the Dred Scott case was as bad as it was, to "solve" the slavery question.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Many of the question/responses in this thread can be answered with the provided methodology. With each President being judged on a scale for 10 separate categories, there's only so far a President can fall due to a specific weakness. A singular event can't disqualify a President's entire score like some are thinking it would.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Trump at 41? he should be at negative.

tenor.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Nice seeing Wilson and Jackson continue to drop and Grant continue to rise. I don't know enough about some of the older mid-tier presidents to know if any of them should rise up just based on being boring instead of bad. I feel like I was reading something recently about Garfield being a possibly really good president had he not been assassinated?

I imagine for Reagan anyone Republican leaning is giving him lots of 10s and that's boosting any negatives others are giving him. Nostalgia is probably also helping buffer him even outside right wing leaning rankers.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I don't really understand the methodology, but it always leaves me going "Wat?" when I see John Q. Adams being within 20 points away out of 100 from his slave-owning, slavery loving contemporaries in categories like Moral Authority and Pursuit of Equal Justice for All. Any reasonable person should put all of the slave owning presidents at the bottom of the latter category especially.

flico

Dec 11, 2019
Wait why is William Henry Harrison so low on the list? Historians not a fan of long speeches?
seriously though he should have a permanent mid tier spot with all the actively bad presidents below him