• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

The reason? Valve has learned that they're being used to launder money. "In the past, most key trades we observed were between legitimate customers," the company wrote on the Counter-Strike website.

Valve also notes in its statement that "pre-existing CS:GO container keys are unaffected–those keys can still be sold on the Steam Community Market and traded."

How long before money launderers pick another virtual currency and the cycle begins anew?

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day, it used to be earbuds. Gimme five buds for a quarter, you'd say.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was long expected of the various key economies (like TF2). Surprised it's official finally.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Weird they did this without anything prompting it, it's been going on forever there and on TF2.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
If anything it's not Governments but the Credit Card and Payment Processor companies.

This was a similar line of reasoning to why Jagex had killed non-equivalent exchange trading (according to Grand Exchange values) in Runescape back in the day - A significant amount of Runescape RMT was being ran with stolen credit cards that were prone to Chargebacks (Either on the buyer's side or the seller's side to fund their subs) and when the Card Companies and Payment Processors caught wind they gave Jagex the ultimatum of "Fixing It" or they'd cut off service to Jagex.

That's what I bet happened here. Some payment-processors are putting the screws to Valve and they chose not risking the loss of a Payment Processor over the Player Economy, just like Jagex had to a decade ago.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP's invisible avatar is bothering me greatly.

Oh and something something Steam something something keys.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Governments do get quite upset over money laundering but the post about payment processors sounds pretty credible too. Could be either (or both).

Surprised that game currencies are being used, I'd assumed most illegal money flows would have switched to bitcoin. Maybe it's still too illiquid for cashing out big sums easily ).

Command & Conker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 1, 2019
Governments do get quite upset over money laundering but the post about payment processors sounds pretty credible too. Could be either (or both).

Surprised that game currencies are being used, I'd assumed most illegal money flows would have switched to bitcoin. Maybe it's still too illiquid for cashing out big sums easily ).

Every bitcoin transaction is public, that's how crypto works. It's not impossible to track a transaction through various wallets, even if it is split up. It might be even easier for government agencies to track cryptocurrency than it is to track game currencies, given their resources.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not Good, especially for people in the 3rd world countries. Regional pricing is helping but its nowhere near spread out between all gaming companies on steam for the consumers to buy games without paying a lot more in their countries.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what prompted this. It's hardly a recent problem.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Child gambling and money laundering. This is why you don't do open MTX economies. Valve really should be getting more shit for the Steam MTX ecosystem.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Not Good, especially for people in the 3rd world countries. Regional pricing is helping but its nowhere near spread out between all gaming companies on steam for the consumers to buy games without paying a lot more in their countries.

I'm a bit ignorant of what the market is used for beyond money laundering. Is this suggesting people buy keys in their region, flip them to higher priced regions and use the profits as a way in order to effectively buy games at a more affordable rate? I'm aware more and more publishers are ignoring regional pricing guidelines.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I'm a bit ignorant of what the market is used for beyond money laundering. Is this suggesting people buy keys in their region, flip them to higher priced regions and use the profits as a way in order to effectively buy games at a more affordable rate? I'm aware more and more publishers are ignoring regional pricing guidelines.
No, that cannot be done anymore. Keys are region locked now but there are some region free - ROW keys but they are expensive.

Basically people in other countries buy off csgo case keys with real money and trade them with online traders for Digital PC game codes. The number of case keys required to trade in, is calculated in accordance to the key price rate at that point in time.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Child gambling and money laundering. This is why you don't do open MTX economies. Valve really should be getting more shit for the Steam MTX ecosystem.

Always amazes me how people ignore Valve's disgusting MTX policies with this, Dota and TF

Tim Sweeney happy to offer launderers a better cut

Considering they effectively removed lootboxes in Rocket League and Fortnite StW, I doubt it.

Valve's response to upcoming legislation was fucking laughable, and their practices are still fucking scummy.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
People love valves lootbox strategy because they can buy games from it, even I earned about 200$ from their dota 2 lootbox'es