• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
What goes through anyone's mind when they do things like this? Do they really thinkg it will land well?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Ironic since Crysis had a whole modding scene around it. Also extra hilarious because its fucking photomode. Instead of C&Ding a photomode dude(Hattiwatt1) DICE just hired the guy lmao. how far Crytek have fallen, this is sad.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
You would think a PR manager would be able to turn around and say "Hello fellow Crytek employees, this is the worst decision you will ever make" and stop something like this dead in its tracks.

Obviously someone above them is just dead set on stupidity.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And it's from the PR Manager? What kind of good press did he think this would give?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How is Crytek even still a thing? All I read about them is negative news, losses, remaster or port number 85 of the same 20 year old games and more negative news.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible decision. The email kind of reads to me like someone higher up has told the PR manager to do this, like any PR person worth their salt would know this is going to be a bad look. Someone higher up is having a hissy fit.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
How is Crytek even still a thing? All I read about them is negative news, losses, remaster or port number 85 of the same 20 year old games and more negative news.
Hunt: Showdown is decently popular, plus, I guess, CryEngine still makes them some money.

I remember Crytek actually being very supportive of modders back in the original/Warhead days, iirc they even had forums dedicated specifically to modding. I wonder what have changed? Could it be some outside agreement they have?

Last edited:

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
The modder literally created something that allows players to advertise the games for free.

I swear some people are just really out of touch.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this type of decision gets made. Like would a company lawyer do this on autopilot or do they usually discuss it with the team that makes the game to check whether or not it's actually doing anything bad for the company?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Lets see how that manager manages that PR.

Crytek lost their style, i had once high hopes for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Crytek have so much talent but they also seem to be an awfully-run company. Really needs someone to go in there, shunt out the top management and put some good people in their place. How could you not realise that this is an awful decision and a terrible PR move, all over a fucking photo mode for God's sake?!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Fuck.

Everytime Crytek do something good, they have to shit in the pudding just to not be too great. Why Crytek? WHY?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is beyond stupid, what legal grounds would they even have for sending out a C&D? He doesn't need to agree to their EULA to distribute code that has nothing to do with the game and from the replies it doesn't sound like he even violated the EULA's contents.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Such an unfortunate there exist an EULA for that, to not provide any mod on their games. It's not about to provide the custom or modded game data, but the camera tool itself that read/tampered their games, along with rules and agreement that came with it.

As for camera tool modder, I guess he just have to follow their instructions and then, he could choose to never have/do any mod for their games ever.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Such an unfortunate there exist an EULA for that, to not provide any mod on their games. It's not about to provide the custom or modded game data, but the camera tool itself that read/tampered their games, along with rules and agreement that came with it.

As for camera tool modder, I guess he just have to follow their instructions and then, he could choose to never have/do any mod for their games ever.

EULA is as far as I know is not legally binding document in Europe

europa.eu

Unfair contract terms - Your Europe

Think you've been a victim of unfair contract terms? Check out your consumer rights.

delta76

Nov 1, 2021

then you can say that (their) EULA is stupid. Enforcing it is even more stupid. EULA is there to have a legal ground if you need to protect yourself. Not to destroy your reputation.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
This seems very self-defeating.

Either someone at the head of the company is having a very bad day and raining nonsensical shit down to everyone below them, or this PR person is incredibly shit at their job.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
lol get fucked whoever made the decision to send this to the modder. Crytek wouldn't be a thing without the PC space to begin with, talk about biting the hand that feeds.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The PR guy is just the messenger; these kind of [stupid] decisions are taken by legal after someone high up in the chain flags it to them.

Yup, and any PR manager worth their water likely talked to them about how bad an idea this is, got shut down and then tried to do this communication in the least damaging way possible while still adhering to what legal requested.

Working PR often sucks.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
what the actual hell man?! I love those mods for many games. What a stupid move from Crytek, they boast about the graphics of their games, a modder creates a photomode for free to showcase said graphics and get cnd'ed. What world are they even living in?

May 24, 2021
It's kinda hilarious how out of touch this is.

Sony and their 1st party teams regularly share/retweet photo mode stuff on Twitter.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh man, they should sue MS for including a screenshot function in Windows too.

And Sony, and Nintendo, and Apple and Linux...