• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those of you with takes like this are getting a healthy amount of side eye.

By "win" I am quite obviously referring to being the more powerful games machine, since that is what this thread is about. I'm saying this dev is full of it. As were the devs who went to bat for Microsoft's "power of the cloud" or "secret sauce" back in 2013.

The raw specs will perform. The more powerful GPU and CPU will perform. There's no magic that can change that.
He said xsx will have higher resolution so what's the problem here?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring
if you like sony games, you were always getting a ps5 no matter what
if you care about stable fps and true 4k, SeX will be the better choice

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying to make the differential between the two machines sound massive, in reality it's not gonna be a repeat of the 360/PS3... heck not even a repeat of the XBO/PS4.
I'm doing no such thing. I'm not making it sound any bigger than this fanboy dev was.

Reminds me of that interview where the CDPR dev was talking about how the Xbox One was the better machine and easier to develop for because of DirectX. This Crytek dev would obviously disagree. Devs have preferences and biases just like anyone else.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

This thread is going to be great, it already is.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Stable FPS and true 4k should be pretty standard for both next gen consoles, though no matter how much power a console gets, they tend to aim for 30fps on some games, which end up failing below. Especially Rockstar new games that weren't a port of a older gen game.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
whole lot going on here in this thread, got people quoting Google translated comments and making fun, People being ignorant and denying its has any relevance because of the Language and location its come from. This is obviously an opinion on the development platform. PS4 was a massive step forward from the PS3 what was not simple for developers. Sony have likely continued the trend with the PS5.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Agreed, I don't think there's any concern about CPU performance at the lower speed. The question is whether 10GB is truly enough GPU capacity for every game that'll ever release on the system. As you said yourself, there are PC cards with higher already, solely for VRAM. SSD speeds and other clever techniques are meant to make this sufficient, because if the GPU suddenly starts needing to put/pull from standard memory there'll be a heavy performance impact.

when you only have 13.5gb of ram 10gb is more than enough especially since a rtx2080 has only 8gb. It's going to be more than enough otherwise you'll have a game with barely no gameplay since no ram left for cpu

here's another take from a ex Sony dev from hisdev friends in the field
cernsCW.jpg

sCNRorB.jpg

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This programmer clearly hates DirectX and Windows but I was hoping he'd articulate why a little better.

some of us talk about why here and it clear to me hes not just taking about api. I'm amazed most ignore sony doesn't use dpc bloated kernel and their own customization like ms customizes their outdated one is providing.

Ms literally is literally ignoring that proton with doom you can get better performance than native. I will say it again to shut up some doubting this man's words words Ms has two weak points sony along with vulkan or valve could walk through with ease if motivated. Seems sony is motivated vs valve's bungling.

As I age the question for me is who will be more stubborn in the end in retrospect nintendo's till switch to grow up or ms refusal to ditch proprietary tech that can't keep up with leaner kernels and well developed apis in the next golden age of rendering to come.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The one demoed by DF in Control? Sounds good then. Thanks for the heads up, I will look into how that works, though when DF put the desk baskets side by side, I did think one of the older DLSS versions looked better than the new DLSS, I remember laughing at that. Though 1440p 1.9 does look blurrier, the lower left was my main focus, with how noisy the new one looks.

neUhmQ2.jpg
I think you are mistaking very fine detail for noise. 1.9 1440p is missing quite a few wires on the basket

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
some of us talk about why here and it clear to me hes not just taking about api. I'm amazed most ignore sony doesn't use dpc bloated kernel and their own customization like ms customizes their outdated one is providing.

Ms literally is literally ignoring that proton with doom you can get better performance than native. I will say it again to shut up some doubting this man's words words Ms has two weak points sony along with vulkan or valve could walk through with ease if motivated. Seems sony is motivated vs valve's bungling.

As I age the question for me is who will be more stubborn in the end in retrospect nintendo's till switch to grow up or ms refusal to ditch proprietary tech that can't keep up with leaner kernels and well developed apis in the next golden age of rendering to come.
I had high hopes PC gaming would move to Linux to ditch Windows and Directx and go Vulkan. Stadia failed, but I still hope games get made for Linux natively in the near future, for whatever reason, maybe Stadia will come back and release games that can be played offline, and without streaming. A store like Steam.

Apr 30, 2019

Pretty much this, except the same goes for MS games. I bought an XB1 last gen just for Halo and Gears knowing it was a less powerful machine (I also thought xbl>psn). I was going to buy an SX this gen for the same reason especially with all the new studios MS acquired. Knowing now that multiplats will look a little better on the SX is just a small bonus.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are mistaking very fine detail for noise. 1.9 1440p is missing quite a few wires on the basket
Yeah the more I look at it and zoom the more I realize. 2.0 still looks pretty noisy but 1.9 1440p blurriness hides detail and noise I'm sure. Getting better, and it's surely a big plus that it's instant now, not needing a learning process.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I can see why I only use Beyond3D for my next-gen console info/talk. These threads are toxic as hell.
B3D can be just as bad as this thread. For the past couple of days they've been arguing about the whole PS5 clock speed. And now its been moved on to how PS5 SSD is going to throttle. There are a couple of people who post there that are worth listening to just like here as well. Everyone is just thinly veiled console war disguised as civil technical discuss. I almost prefer folks like space_nut and etta who are obvious with it.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this, except the same goes for MS games. I bought an XB1 last gen just for Halo and Gears knowing it was a less powerful machine (I also thought xbl>psn). I was going to buy an SX this gen for the same reason especially with all the new studios MS acquired. Knowing now that multiplats will look a little better on the SX is just a small bonus.

But will they look better? The PS5 should be able to get closer to its theoretical peak than XSX, the XSX has different RAM speeds, the PS5 has a faster SSD and DX12 is apparently shit compared to what Sony is using. Hyperbole is fun, I'm obviously joking, but those are the points that this thread is based on. According to this guy it isn't so cut and dry.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
when you only have 13.5gb of ram 10gb is more than enough especially since a rtx2080 has only 8gb. It's going to be more than enough otherwise you'll have a game with barely no gameplay since no ram left for cpu

here's another take from a ex Sony dev from hisdev friends in the field
cernsCW.jpg

sCNRorB.jpg

You do know that this guy hasn't worked in game development in close to ten years, right? Also, the guy in the OP actually puts his name to the statement instead of the 'i talked to some people' shtick.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
You do know that this guy hasn't worked in game development in close to ten years, right? Also, the guy in the OP actually puts his name to the statement instead of the 'i talked to some people' shtick.
Did you not read the translation of the stuff in the OP? He also uses the "I talked to some people" shtick

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Really nice detailed explanation from a tech wizard from crytek! Can't wait to see the PS5 games!

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Oh ***, a topic saying something positive on the PS5.
tenor.gif

Not just positive about PS5 as there are plenty of positive impressions of PS5 that didn't result in mudslinging, but also negative about XSX. I can't imagine any "This one is great while this one is not" thread going over well regardless of what platforms you put in which position. Not saying it's right, just saying it's expected and not because it's Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Too many people here convinced themselves there was no benefits to a lower CU count. You'll just have to get used to developers telling you there is. There are benefits and drawbacks to all tech. If you believe there's only benefits or only drawbacks with any of the tech used in either consoles you have the bias.

It's like Biggie always said: "mo money mo problems". Too many CUs are a pain. How do you even code to all those things. They're just clumsy. Stupid Microsoft always worried about size when Sony knows it's the motion in the Pacific ocean.

anigif_enhanced-14471-1442334087-7.gif

I'm here for the entertainment. We'll find out what's happening in a few months. Let's have fun.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For people who clearly haven't read the interview, he is not just gushing about PS5. He says that XSX will definitely have the advantage on resolution among other things. It's just much easier (in his opinion) to code for PS5 and reach its peak performance in comparison to XSX.

Also, this thread title is pretty bad and not what the og article is called.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I dunno about stable fps, true 4K kinda shots it in the arm going by current 1X ports of multiplatform games.

Performance differences in some current gen games are largely due to the devs running the One X ports at higher resolutions than the PS4 Pro counterparts, rendering significantly higher number of pixels.

next gen, if devs target native 4K on both machines, the Series X should probably have either better performance or look visibly better, thanks to the more powerful SoC.

That's all on paper, though. The reality will be after release when we see what devs can do with both consoles.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

For what it's worth a lot of people believed Klee too (I was #team13TF) and he was far removed from games journalism, not even game development. Point being people obviously believe what they want, when they want. Especially if the belief is something that benefits them if it comes to fruition.

For people who clearly haven't read the interview, he is not just gushing about PS5. He says that XSX will definitely have the advantage on resolution among other things.

What other things? I saw mention of pushing pixels but I don't remember anything else.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
For people who clearly haven't read the interview, he is not just gushing about PS5. He says that XSX will definitely have the advantage on resolution among other things. It's just much easier (in his opinion) to code for PS5 and reach its peak performance in comparison to XSX.

Exactly, and this is something we already knew.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
B3D can be just as bad as this thread. For the past couple of days they've been arguing about the whole PS5 clock speed. And now its been moved on to how PS5 SSD is going to throttle. There are a couple of people who post there that are worth listening to just like here as well. Everyone is just thinly veiled console war disguised as civil technical discuss. I almost prefer folks like space_nut and etta who are obvious with it.

True. But it doesn't come with pages of fanboyism that I have to get through. You'll have those same fanboys in B3D, but it's a lot faster to get to the meat and potatoes that I want to read. Maybe I'm doing this to myself by not using the ignore function on here more often. lol

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I had high hopes PC gaming would move to Linux to ditch Windows and Directx and go Vulkan. Stadia failed, but I still hope games get made for Linux natively in the near future, for whatever reason, maybe Stadia will come back and release games that can be played offline, and without streaming. A store like Steam.

MS isn't totally dead yet even current windows has some linux in the subsystems currently. I'm just of the flat opinion being an enthusiast and professional who customizes his firmware they are no longer helped by living on legacy ideas for a consumer base that isn't gaming.

A gaming os should exist and the fact they have no body eleoquent and technically capable of explainign why to the big ups is freigtening to me.

In 5 years proton will let me take most of my collection and grow it wihtout being stuck to windows. I will eat any performance overhead for better framepacing in titles that allow, don't care about peak fps when I already am playing with 60+ on VRR displays.

My faith in google post stadia to do gaming right is really shaken. I won't say they can't take advantage of potential but there is a lot they did wrong from infrastructure to development of games. A lot of bold ideas can be done in the next ten years for gaming or computational power but implementation of them will be the key. With the kind of flex cpus have I'm in the firm camp no OS out there is doing them serivice on a basic cpu scheduler. If you have a customized one that's different by default I don't see devs or consumers getting the most out of ryzens in their current state.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Reading the twitter translation, this point of view makes a lot of sense. I don't even think he is particularly negative about the Microsoft approach. I think, even in translation, this is a very good articulation about why the less parallel, higher clock approach is also very valid. I am so excited for both consoles.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
True. But it doesn't come with pages of fanboyism that I have to get through. You'll have those same fanboys in B3D, but it's a lot faster to get to the meat and potatoes that I want to read. Maybe I'm doing this to myself by not using the ignore function on here more often. lol
Ok true that i can agree with.

Oct 31, 2019

Yep agree on title. The title should've been 'Is PS5 more powerful or the XSX? Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek answers' like how the rest was low effort copy pasted even down to the bolded parts and original edits diverging from a Google Translate.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Performance is different from compute power. XSX will always be 12.1TF of compute, but usually it'll only be saturating the GPU to, say, 50%. The same goes for the PS5 and its ~10.3TF. The dev is saying that it'll be a higher percentage though, say 60%.
I thought that's what he meant at first, but his reasoning makes me doubt it. He says because PS5 has a higher clock speed and is faster in some GPU calculations like rasterization, it's able to perform most of its time at 10.28TF.

How is clock speed relevant here? And why having a lower clock speed makes XSX less performant while having more compute power?

I'm not trying to suggest he's intentionally misleading but to me it looks like he is trying so hard to prove that PS5 is the absolute winner while in reality they're pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.