• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So what
New Xbox has a higher peak performance but PS5 is easier to reach it?
Sounds reasonable. Isn't that the same as PS4 and Xbox One?
No. The PS4 had better performance out of the gate and still does over the original Xbox One hardware.

They released Xbox One X later which is a beefier machine than both the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

On paper (just looking at numbers) XSX should be slightly more powerful than the PS5. But PS5 could be more efficient with it's unique architecture. It's almost entirely theoretical since none of us have seen any of this in action.

Jun 23, 2019
Remember the "ex-Sony dev" who actually only worked as "Other" on one Sony game more than 10 years ago but somehow was the ultimate proof that Sony done goofed? 'Cause I sure do!

Exactly. This is from someone who literally works at Crytek, not some random journalist from some fly-by-night operation, and still people find ways to come in a shit all over pertinent information. It's annoying.

The two machines are very close to each other, you children.

Is there anything in the interview that stood out to you or matches/doesn't match what you know? Thanks for your insights.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like he's talking about what he's heard from other devs, which seems to just further confirm what Jason Schreier has heard from devs (that the PS5 is incredibly easy to develop for).

It makes sense that developers will be able to get the most out of the PS5 earlier in the generation than with the XSX if it's truly so easy to work with. But we'll likely see XSX truly shine later in the generation.
What would you prefer?, extra pixels or shorter loading times?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

When the article states

"As a programmer, I would say that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who can outperform the PlayStation 5 from the Xbox X-Series"

So XSX can't out perform ps5? Is this serious? Lol I can clearly see this being so false and many other programmers stating other wise when looking at both specs yea this "interview" is so weirdly worded. Hey I'll just make a thread of the ex naughty dog dev of his opinion on the specs and what public info he heard

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Persian here. I read the interview, it's pretty technical so I hope whoever's translating knows what's what because I don't have the time lol

He talks so positively about PS5. In almost every question he says PS5 has the edge. In the last question where they ask "As a developer, which console is easier to work with?" he says "Without a doubt PS5. You won't find a programmer who could say XSX is better than PS5 in any way. For Xbox, developers have to deal with Direct X and Windows [??], but Sony makes new APIs each generation which is better for us because there's only one way do to things and that's the best way possible."

I wouldn't take this seriously if I were you.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a loooong 6 months.

(Please be only 6 months)
Nope, the console wars will continue even after the games come out and are nearly identical.
"THE VERSION ON MY SYSTEM HAS A FEW MORE PIXELS! THE OTHER SYSTEM IS TRASH!"
"THE VERSION ON MY SYSTEM LOADS 3 SECONDS FASTER! THE OTHER SYSTEM IS TRASH!"
"THE VERSION ON MY SYSTEM HAS SLIGHTLY BETTER SHADOWS! THE OTHER SYSTEM IS TRASH!"
"THE VERSION ON MY SYSTEM HAS BETTER RAY TRACING! THE OTHER SYSTEM IS TRASH!"
"THE VERSION ON MY SYSTEM HAS LODS PUSHED SLIGHTLY FURTHER OUT! THE OTHER SYSTEM IS TRASH!"
And so on and so forth with minor differences for years.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My god, this reads like a rabid fanboy pretending to be a programmer...
That was my thought. Also loads of talk about how directx and Windows are slow. It's clearly not running full windows.

I dunno. I work with people who hate Windows and spend all their time trying to get Linux working properly while the rest of us just get on and do our jobs. He could be completely right In his summary and also biased against ms.

Then again he does say that towards the end of the gen:

"at higher native resolutions, the PlayStation 5 will probably be in a little trouble, and the X-Series will be able to display more pixels"

Which seems totally at odds to everything else he's saying. Weird.

Well whatever, it's great to have a detailed dev view.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't expect them to lead with the most powerful console from the beginning?

This isn't an Xbox One X situation where it's a niche console that was released late, into the maw of a behemoth.
The 360 wasn't the most powerful box (on paper) and yet they used that to lead the gen (because it was easier to develop for).

Jun 23, 2019
When the article states

"As a programmer, I would say that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who can outperform the PlayStation 5 from the Xbox X-Series"

So XSX can't out perform ps5? Is this serious? Lol I can clearly see this being so false and many other programmers stating other wise when looking at both specs yea this "interview" is so weirdly worded. Hey I'll just make a thread of the ex naughty dog dev of his opinion on the specs and what public info he heard

What part of Google translated from Persian do you not understand? Obviously it's going to be worded weirdly because it's not a 1:1 translation. Your reactions throughout this thread so far have been hyperbolic and you mentioning the "ex-ND dev" who hasn't worked on a Playstation game in 10 years to prove your point is the cherry on top.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

For the first time in contemporary history, nerds staying inside constantly to argue over minor differences in the hypothetical specs of unreleased hardware on the internet are doing a legitimate public service.

Let 'em march, Lou. Let the man march.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Persian here. I read the interview, it's pretty technical so I hope whoever's translating knows what's what because I don't have the time lol

He talks so positively about PS5. In almost every question he says PS5 has the edge. In the last question where they ask "As a developer, which console is easier to work with?" he says "Without a doubt PS5. You won't find a programmer who could say XSX is better than PS5 in any way. For Xbox, developers have to deal with Direct X and Windows [??], but Sony makes new APIs each generation which is better for us because there's only one way do to things and that's the best way possible."

Sony having better tools and API's according to developers was apparently true all gen. Digital Foundry talked bout it in there Lockhart video.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Hey I'll just make a thread of the ex naughty dog dev of his opinion on the specs and what public info he heard

What nonsense are you talking about here.

If it's a ND dev, an industry professional for one of the most prestigious and technically proficient game studios in the world - shared his opinion. Of course it'll be thread-worthy.

His claims/opinions of the specs will - in time - be judged by peer consensus across different studios and reality of what games ultimately deliver. And time will tell if he told the truth or was being a fanboy.

The notion of "oh, this developer is a fanboy of console, so he must be spinning/lying/not truthful, and his words are unreliable in spite of being in a position of working with the product/having professional-grade knowledge of subject matter" is... I don't even know what to say to that framing.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox doesn't have split RAM like a PC/PS3.
No, it doesn't. But it does have disjunct memory. There's only one bus, but there's two different speeds it runs at, and it can't run them simultaneously. The 360/Xbox One tiny-fast-pool design isn't a great comparison either. But it's

The slower 3.5GB is more closely associated to the CPU and audio while the 10GB at the higher bandwidth is mostly intended for the GPU. That said if the dev wants/needs to use the faster portion of the 13.5 with the CPU or even spill over to the slower 3.5 with the GPU, they can. It's all unified, devs can choose to use it a specific way if they want.
no one pool of 16gb gddr6 of ram, just like ps5 but better has 10 chips for 320mb bus and gpu gets 560gb/s bandwidth while cpu gets 336gb/s. devs just code and whatever cpu needs uses those bandwidth and gpu uses its own at ultra high speeds.
But the fast and slow pools can't be accessed at the same time. When reading or writing lower-speed work, no high-speed reading or writing can take place at all. The two speeds will be interleaved, making the average lower than the max. (How much lower in practice we don't know.)

So the PS5 is going to output at above 10.28 TF, while the Xbox will output at below 12 TF?
That's not what he's saying. He means that higher clockspeed will help PS5 get closer to 10.3TF, as a percentage, than XSX will get to 12.1TF. Note this doesn't mean PS5 will be higher overall; the result could be 9TF versus 10.5.

no one pool of 16gb gddr6 of ram, just like ps5 but better has 10 chips for 320mb bus and gpu gets 560gb/s bandwidth while cpu gets 336gb/s. devs just code and whatever cpu needs uses those bandwidth and gpu uses its own at ultra high speeds.
This is incorrect. The fast and slow pools can't be accessed at the same time. When reading or writing lower-speed work, no high-speed reading or writing can take place. The two speeds will be interleaved, making the average lower than the max. (How much lower in practice we don't know.)

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Both systems are going to be awesome, enough with this bullshit already. You're all allowed to buy both of them, you know.

Jun 23, 2019

There is someone on Twitter who is translating the article now so we all will be able to see exactly what he said instead of relying on Google translate or people's opinions so far.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be alright. PS5 is a beast.

Yep, thought as much. Seems to be a fans opinion, not an objective one.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Both systems are going to be awesome, enough with this bullshit already. You're all allowed to buy both of them, you know.
giphy.gif

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is juicy bait to bring out fanboys. It's mostly been civil, but there are some who simply can't help themselves like moths to a flame.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Thanks for the info. Dude shouldn't be taken seriously.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
These are some very definitive statements being made despite not being based on his own personal experiences with the new consoles.

Would be great if the NDAs from Microsoft and Sony were relaxed a little so we could get more devs talking about this stuff.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If DLSS were a thing on AMD consoles, Sony would have this gen in the bag almost certainly.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

hahahaha.
Close this thread.

Or the dude needs to back up his statements on twitter.
Cuz I aint sold on his statements.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

SONY #1

Status
Not open for further replies.