• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
So Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer from Crytek, did an interview where he talked about PS5 and XSX:

Translation using Microsoft's translation service:

Translation using Google's translation service:

Edit: There is also a native speaker on Twitter translating the interview, feel free to compare:

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring; Prior Ban for the Same
WHERE IS YOUR TERAFLOP GOD NOW DIGITAL FOUNDRY!!!!

lol,

In all seriousness this is a pretty insightful interview even though it's not 100% since it's google translate.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
in before hell unleash here

Quoting some interesting stuff:

"If I understood correctly, is Traflaps the standard for optimizing different parts of the GPU or not? Or what do these floating points mean? How would you describe it for a user who doesn't understand this information?

The problem is with the person who made these public statements that need to be explained now. This technical information does not matter to the average user and is not a measurement criterion.

Graphics cards, for example, have 20 different sections, one of which is Compute Units, which performs the processing. If the rest of the components are next to them in the best possible way, there are no restrictions, the battery does not boot, and as long as the processor has the necessary information, the servers in this mode can operate 12 times of floating-point operation per second. So in an ideal world where we remove all the limiting parameters, that's possible, but it's not.

A good example of this is the X-Series Xbox series hardware. Microsoft has split the RAMs in two. The same mistake that the Xbox One made. One part of RAM has high bandwidth and one part of RAM has low bandwidth. And obviously, encoding this console will have a story. Because the total number of things we have to put in fast RAM is so much that it will be annoying again, and if we want 4K to support it, that's another story. So there will be parts that prevent the graphics card from reaching that speed. "

"Microsoft has insisted that the Xbox Series X frequency is constant under any circumstances, but Sony does not have such an approach and provides the console with a certain amount of energy to use it as a variable and depending on the situation. What are the differences between the two and which will be better for the developer?

What Sony has done is much more logical because it decides whether the graphics card's frequency is higher or the CPU's frequency at certain times, depending on the processing load. For example, on a loading page, only the CPU is needed and the GPU is not used. Or in a close-up scene of the character's face, GPU gets involved and CPU plays a very small role. On the other hand, it's good that the X-Series has good cooling and guarantees to keep the frequency constant and it doesn't have throttling, but the practical freedom that Sony has given is really a big deal. "

"As a programmer and developer, which do you consider the best console for working and coding? PlayStation 5 or Xbox X series?

Definitely PlayStation 5.

As a programmer, I would say that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who can outperform the PlayStation 5 from the Xbox X-Series. For the Xbox, they have to put DirectX and Windows on the console, which is many years old, but for each new console that Sony builds, it also rebuilds the software and APIs in any way it wants. It is in their interest and in our interest. Because there is only one way to do everything, and theirs is the best way possible. "

Last edited:

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
What a read. But are there any native speakers here on era who can go over the article a bit? To make sure the message is getting across accurately?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter which one is better tbh. Gamers have decided Teraflops are what matters. The marketing is already complete.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
How will the games on PC be in the meantime? Because having an SSD is a choice for a PC user.

Consoles have always determined what the standard is. Game developers also build games based on consoles, and if someone has a PC and doesn't have an SSD on it, they have to deal with long loads or think about buying an SSD.

cyL6jiT.gif

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?

The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation

:)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I can't say anything right now about my own work, but I'm quoting others who have made a public statement. Developers say that the PlayStation 5 is the easiest console we've ever coded into so we can reach the console's peak performance. In terms of software, coding on the PlayStation 5 is extremely simple and has many features that leave the developer free. All in all, the PlayStation 5 is a better console.

In Cerny we trust

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crysis 4 PS5 Exclusive confirmed.

Crysis 4 for any next gen machine would make me happy

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hey I don't want to get into the console war stuff, but did he tease a Crysis remake here? Any game related tidbits?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
How will the games on PC be in the meantime? Because having an SSD is a choice for a PC user.

Consoles have always determined what the standard is. Game developers also build games based on consoles, and if someone has a PC and doesn't have an SSD on it, they have to deal with long loads or think about buying an SSD.

The problem is that even among SSDs, there is a massive gulf in performance between a SATA SSD and a PCIE NVME SSD.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah but what about what xX_GaMer1337_Xx has to say in his YouTube comment

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just quickly copy over some posts I made on some easy to spot issues with the interview:
A quick cursory glance caught a few odd things in that translated interview. Here's one:

"CUs or even Traflaps are not necessarily the same between any architecture.That is, Teraflops cannot be compared to each other and which is actually numerically superior. So you can't trust these numbers at all and set the criteria."

Except... the PS5 and XSX have the same rdna2 architecture.

Then you have the interviewee stating that the time to switch between games on the ps5 will be "below zero" seconds wise.
Those seem like more than translation errors.

And that's only a couple things I noticed:
-He compares the XSX RAM split to the ESRAM situation in the XB1. Which is really, really laughable😂.

-He states that the XSX will only hit 12tf worth of performance "in highly ideal situations".

-He states that Sony went with a lower CU gpu to reduce production costs. But wouldn't clocking the gpu so high hurt yields?

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-By Trolling; Prior Ban for the Same
My god, this reads like a rabid fanboy pretending to be a programmer... are we 100% sure this is legitimate?

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?

The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation

:)
How can something be below zero?!

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I predict a lock, no offense OP, it's not you. I just have a feeling for how this thread will go.

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
Imagine what this information is going to do in a PS-loving site like this. Getting my popcorn now!

Jun 23, 2019
I guess now that both systems have finally been revealed, we are now hearing from the development community. Mr. Salehi sounded like he was under NDA though and couldn't go into too many details about stuff though.

Crysis 4 PS5 Exclusive confirmed.

Crysis 4 for any next gen machine would make me happy

Wasn't there some crazy rumor that Sony was trying to buy Crytek or did I just imagine that?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
"At my signal, unleash hell".

I think he's just echoing what we've heard from other developers. Series X is more powerful but PS5 is seemingly easier to get the most out of. Glad to see what Cerny said about ease of development for the PS5 is true according to developers as well. He expects by the end of the gen, Series X will have a more noticeable difference with the games.

Regardless, both machines will please gamers. Everyone should be happy. Of course, that's not going to happen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
My god, this reads like a rabid fanboy pretending to be a programmer... are we 100% sure this is legitimate?

Yup. Guy's a legit graphics engineer/programmer. Someone linked his LinkedIn page. He's been doing shit since 2011. Only been with crytek for couple years.

But thats enough time to have exposure to devkits in whatever project they are working on.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
User banned (1 week): Trolling and platform wars over multiple posts. History of similar behavior.
This "dev" made so many wrong statements lol fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.