• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
They had very talented artists/level designers/lighting artists back in the day. The art team made a trip to an island to actually prep for the game. This is where all the "famous" Crysis vs. real-world examples came from in 2006 that everyone goshed over.
In CryEngine 2, the default Time Of Day was perfectly dialed in to simulate a real 24 hour cycle. Colorgrading was very naturalistic as well.
I have a feeling the remaster will have filmic colorgrading charts, the SVOGI, new AO and of course the deferred lighting, a newer ToD etc but that might not be dialed in as well anymore towards one goal.

272728358_24914c868d_o.jpg

272728361_6641dbff87_o.jpg

272733685_52ec949983_o.jpg
466d1173784194-cryengine-crysis-vs-real-life-shots-comp03.jpg

Rjqg95YKKhM9ezSrn773Ob6naEg3jQPdaSpoynRdgoSOxG_s-DHcg7qgN7kMD7_tT7Rp_xyb0ARp3Z5buIQApuQD2Y45PT_FgwlcTaEmbqOOyy-QdsP0IwnXRPQHgqW86bXv9Fk1CgFeb68HNc4k7efKLS6Du-xPjF0Ba2bclqlB9mQ

ZLvJR585dGrk06Q0_EenMCTzxyfuhFXyz-vL_qBHSJxbpoQ085ZwTCWGFztFezAYchshQL2pUP_ghu8VhgOdTR2ttW04KUGet-GyFsREAjtK_8kEEewEhfG1lx3zzjOXJlsCvZUKrV0gdJmrt-BuwwtfCSyymeo24DssBbbppUgENVE

Crysis_0133.jpg

if you look at "cheap" holiday photographs of an area like a jungle island, you will see the typical
natural blown out look without super deep black contrasts.
Will be interesting to see if the SVOGI will artificially darken stuff like that too much.
120512-A-CE999-105.JPG
05_Eua-Tonga-Travel-Pickup-Jeep-tour.jpg
Oh gosh, I totally forgot these! I remember showing these to friends: "see how far we've gotten?" It somehow still feels like we peaked then and there, with everything being more 'stylized' now, instead of AAA chasing photorealism. (Which I understand)

Dec 25, 2018
Oh gosh, I totally forgot these! I remember showing these to friends: "see how far we've gotten?" It somehow still feels like we peaked then and there, with everything being more 'stylized' now, instead of AAA chasing photorealism. (Which I understand)
While I personally skew towards more stylised looks, I can see with how cyclical trends tend to go, and the increasing and improving utilisation of photogrammetry and Megascans libraries becoming easier and taking a ton of the painstaking time and work out of hitting a high level of photoreal fidelity it may see a resurgence in the new generation.

Its crazy seeing how close they were able to get to their references with 06/07 era Realtime tech.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
They had very talented artists/level designers/lighting artists back in the day. The art team made a trip to an island to actually prep for the game. This is where all the "famous" Crysis vs. real-world examples came from in 2006 that everyone goshed over.
In CryEngine 2, the default Time Of Day was perfectly dialed in to simulate a real 24 hour cycle. Colorgrading was very naturalistic as well.
I have a feeling the remaster will have filmic colorgrading charts, the SVOGI, new AO and of course the deferred lighting, a newer ToD etc but that might not be dialed in as well anymore towards one goal.

Rjqg95YKKhM9ezSrn773Ob6naEg3jQPdaSpoynRdgoSOxG_s-DHcg7qgN7kMD7_tT7Rp_xyb0ARp3Z5buIQApuQD2Y45PT_FgwlcTaEmbqOOyy-QdsP0IwnXRPQHgqW86bXv9Fk1CgFeb68HNc4k7efKLS6Du-xPjF0Ba2bclqlB9mQ

ZLvJR585dGrk06Q0_EenMCTzxyfuhFXyz-vL_qBHSJxbpoQ085ZwTCWGFztFezAYchshQL2pUP_ghu8VhgOdTR2ttW04KUGet-GyFsREAjtK_8kEEewEhfG1lx3zzjOXJlsCvZUKrV0gdJmrt-BuwwtfCSyymeo24DssBbbppUgENVE

Crysis_0133.jpg
No matter how hard I tried with ini tweaks and mods, I never got the game to look like these engine screenshots here

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The VTOL level may be cut content, but there's a reason when people talk about Crysis or feature gameplay, that basically never show that level. It's not very good.

I'd rather have it than not, but if it had never been in the game in the first place, I'd not think any less of the game.

All this comparing color grading stuff makes me wish more people uploaded HDR footage, cause I doubt I'll be seeing this game with whatever grading the SDR version uses, and in my experience HDR color grading can often differ *massively* from SDR.

Something else to keep in mind, Crysis does a fantastic job of matching the grading of reference photos, which is arguably no more or less accurate to the human eye than matching the grading of a movie. Whatever your preference might be.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
One Thing to think of before being disappoined prematurely - Crysis 1 May have a Camera post processing that looks to be naturalistic (so not like many games from its Generation which overly saturated the Image or undersatzrated it on purpose), but how Crysis does its lighting is not realisitic. A lot of the Extra contrast you see here in this trailer like in the forest scene is because Crysis 1 has unrealistic lighting with no bounce lighting and very little indirect shadows - there being more contrast is far more real. That is the whole purpose of the game using sparse voxel octree global illumination - it is tracing that bounce lighting that Crysis lacked. Crysis -1 had definitely the most realisic Real time lighting for its time of release, but it lacks in comparison to how it should actually look with a more physically correct Model.

Then perhaps what people then are feeling like they are seeing is just good color work then? Because the color of the lighting in Crysis 1 felt so completely real.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
But true to the Crysis legacy, Crytek has reserved a special option for players who want to push every setting and feature to the extreme. "If you want ray tracing with all features enabled and no limitations, then we have a surprise for you in place: A graphics mode called Can It Run Crysis?" Halbig said — a tongue-in-cheek reference to the question that has proliferated through forums and comment sections since 2007.

Intel Gaming Access - official gaming news, reviews and giveaway community hub by Intel

Intel Gaming Access is Intel's official hub for gaming news, stories and giveaways - sign up today to join the fun, get exclusive deals and win prizes!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Crysis_0133.jpg

if you look at "cheap" holiday photographs of an area like a jungle island, you will see the typical
natural blown out look without super deep black contrasts.
Will be interesting to see if the SVOGI will artificially darken stuff like that too much.
120512-A-CE999-105.JPG
05_Eua-Tonga-Travel-Pickup-Jeep-tour.jpg
I actually remember that the final game eventually added a yellow colour grading specifically on the very high setting (which you could turn on in high as well from config files ofc) that made it look a lot more stylised than these screenshots.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Getting this on PC once it's off Epic, or first price drop.

I have fond memories of the 2007 original.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a shame if the original suit power wheel is gone when playing with a keyboard and mouse. I don't mind consolidating the powers for a controller, but it should include the option to play as it was originally intended, too.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a shame if the original suit power wheel is gone when playing with a keyboard and mouse. I don't mind consolidating the powers for a controller, but it should include the option to play as it was originally intended, too.
I like the console power set-up but it would be good to have the option for PC players. They could even add it on PS4 using the touchpad

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Ignoring this on Current Gen. Will get it for cheap later for PS5 just in case they try any shady upgrade thing.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Will be worthless to me unless it has the original suit controls and modding support. MP would be nice but I can live without it

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This would be a great opportunity to port Warhead, even if it was a standalone port to CE3. Bonkers that they didn't take the opportunity to make a bundle.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This would be a great opportunity to port Warhead, even if it was a standalone port to CE3. Bonkers that they didn't take the opportunity to make a bundle.

Why CE3? They're on CE5 now. But yes, I agree that Warhead would have been a shoe-in addition. Even though this is a remaster, it still takes a lot of work to port all of Crysis 1 to the latest CryEngine on top of creating new higher resolution arrests and implementing new features that CE5 allows. Instead of spending more money to cover two games, I see they want to see how well this one does before they move on to the others.

Not sure how potential blow back from being an Epic store exclusive will impact this, but I guess time will tell...