• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by some interview quotes by top people from both sides at the time, it didn't feel like much love was lost.
Well remmeber cytek basically lost/fired most of their older employees because of their financial problems. It came out that like half of the crytek engine staff got jobs workining on Starcitizen.

The current Crytek probably has no real relation to the crytek in those old interviews besides the name and top ownership.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Here's a gameplay gif of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X version with RT on.

crysis-remastered-15-740x416.jpg

Where did you get this screengrab from?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
If anything this should prompt NanoSuitNinja to run another playthrough and I am heeeeeeeerrreeee for that...

If it's not garbage on the PS4 I'll pick up for cheap when it releases. Crysis never - EVER - gets old.

May 10, 2019
Another remastered game that looks great and will be added to my library. I'm hoping someday soon Max Payne will also get this treatment.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be there on console too?
As for s/w RT they've said that Pro and XBX will get it - probably as an option though as it will likely drive them into sub-1080p territory. Whether next gen will get h/w RT is unknown but I'd say yes because why not? They'll already have an implementation on PC, will just have to port it to PS5/XSX..

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crysis Remastered is now coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4 on the 18th of September. On PC, the game will include hardware-accelerated ray-tracing for those using Nvidia RTX graphics and it will also support DLSS. On consoles, Crytek is using a software-based ray-tracing solution to bring ray-traced reflections to the game on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Oh cmon now. That sounds like software based RT is locked to consoles only.

Why?? If it runs good on a XOX and PS4 Pro, upper end PC cards should have no problem with it. I don't understand this. Why lock people out of Raytracing, when their software based approach already demonstrated a good scalability for non-RT cards? We even had the Neon Noir demo which demonstrated that -_-

Now direct comparisons between software and hardware RT are impossible. :/

Oct 27, 2017
ATL

Why?? If it runs good on a XOX and PS4 Pro, upper end PC cards should have no problem with it. I don't understand this. Why lock people out of Raytracing, when their software based approach already demonstrated a good scalability for non-RT cards? We even had the Neon Noir demo which demonstrated that -_-

This makes me wonder if the PC version will include more RT effects besides reflections? If not, I'm sure that it'll just default to the software RT solution if hardware acceleration isn't avaialble.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder if the PC version will include more RT effects besides reflections? If not, I'm sure that it'll just default to the software RT solution if hardware acceleration isn't avaialble.
if there were more, they'd show them off with the stipulation they're PC exclusive. I think this is all we're getting

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm most excited about HDR. So many scenes would benefit from it, I really hope it has a strong implementation.

I love my Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, but I do wish it had HDR. Look forward to seeing more mini-led gaming monitors hit the market. I wish we could get 27" - 32" OLED gaming monitors, but that doesn't seem likely for another few years. I'm looking for the halo PC gaming monitor that has:

1440p (18:9, 32:9, or 16:9)
Mini-LED (or OLED)
IPS
HDR 1000+ support
144Hz+ refresh rate
< 5ms GtoG response times

With DLSS and Ampere, 4K might actually be an option, but I'm fine with 1440p.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Looks good!

DLSS2.0 huh? Fuck yeah.

RTX raytracing is interesting given software RTX options on console.

Would love them to throw in the kitchen sink and give us RTX GI and Shadows on PC too. Why not? Can it run?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As for s/w RT they've said that Pro and XBX will get it - probably as an option though as it will likely drive them into sub-1080p territory. Whether next gen will get h/w RT is unknown but I'd say yes because why not? They'll already have an implementation on PC, will just have to port it to PS5/XSX..

That'll be cool to see, as a flavour for why could happen next gen.
The SSGI in unreal is good and even the screen space RT that that reshade filter uses is often better than nothing

Suīpā

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
User Banned (3 days): platform warring: trolling
Remember guys, if the devs/pubs decide to go EGS exclusive, it is most likely that there is something wrong with their game, unfinished, unpolished.. etc and the devs/pubs do not believe in its success in financial terms, so they make these deals that guarantee them a direct profit no matter how bad the game is.

As for Crysis Remastered, since its announcement, I really have concerns about it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Remember guys, if the devs/pubs decide to go EGS exclusive, it is most likely that there is something wrong with their game, unfinished, unpolished.. etc and the devs/pubs do not believe in its success in financial terms, so they make these deals that guarantee them a direct profit no matter how bad the game is.

Worst post ever.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Would love them to throw in the kitchen sink and give us RTX GI and Shadows on PC too. Why not? Can it run?

I'd love for this too. I would assume with them supporting DLSS, that Nvidia is helping out with the port. They would definitely want them to throw in the kitchen sink when it comes to RT effects as that's where they have a huge advantage over their competition...and it would help sell Ampere cards lol.

Oct 26, 2017

As for Crysis Remastered, since its announcement, I really have concerns about it.

I dislike the EGS and Tim Sweeney's tactics as much as the next guy, but WTF is this?

Scently

Oct 27, 2017

That quote did not state that the PC version will only use hardware raytracing only that it will include hardware raytracing.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

An unsubstantiated comment like this should be bannable. I've seen no evidence of this and I own loads of EGS exclusives.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
After playing the Switch port and realizing that this is the Xbox 360/PS3 port all souped up, nah, they can miss me with a double dip.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Epic's practices and Tim's lies enough to not have a EGS account, but I think you're reaching

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Day 0.
I have no beef with the EGS, Remedys next game is likely to launch there first too....Epics tactic has worked on me.
Damn.
boB0CGt.gif

That sand looks incredible.

Edit.

Something about the lighting makes the OG still look more "realistic" or maybe natural is word im looking for, Crysis was such a damn good looking game.
WzRgr1C.gif

Yeah Crysis had this almost photorealistic natural look. This looks like it's trying to look cinematic and nice.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really feels like they're trying to do various color treatment and lighting to make it look "better" without actually making it any more impressive.

I wish they really hadn't done this. It should have waited until they could even more fully realized the photorealistic look the original sought to achieve. I'd seen nothing like it back in the day, and I honestly haven't seen anything like it since. Disappointing.

That plus basing this off of the console port. ...yeah I feel absolutely nothing.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah it really feels like they're trying to do various color treatment and lighting to make it look "better" without actually making it any more impressive.

I wish they really hadn't done this. It should have waited until they could even more fully realized the photorealistic look the original sought to achieve. I'd seen nothing like it back in the day, and I honestly haven't seen anything like it since. Disappointing.

That plus basing this off of the console port. ...yeah I feel absolutely nothing.
One Thing to think of before being disappoined prematurely - Crysis 1 May have a Camera post processing that looks to be naturalistic (so not like many games from its Generation which overly saturated the Image or undersatzrated it on purpose), but how Crysis does its lighting is not realisitic. A lot of the Extra contrast you see here in this trailer like in the forest scene is because Crysis 1 has unrealistic lighting with no bounce lighting and very little indirect shadows - there being more contrast is far more real. That is the whole purpose of the game using sparse voxel octree global illumination - it is tracing that bounce lighting that Crysis lacked. Crysis -1 had definitely the most realisic Real time lighting for its time of release, but it lacks in comparison to how it should actually look with a more physically correct Model.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I despise EGS but this is a fucking stupid post. Publishers taking the money just want it secured up front as opposed to the myriad of things that could cause a game not to do well in sales. Hard to blame them for taking the guaranteed funds, especially if they're independent like IO with Hitman 3.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That'll be cool to see, as a flavour for why could happen next gen.
The SSGI in unreal is good and even the screen space RT that that reshade filter uses is often better than nothing
Well, they're using RT for reflections only as this seem to be the limitation of their s/w based approach and from what was shown in the tech trailer most of these reflections could look just as good with SSR - albeit I'm all for using RT for them where applicable as SSR artifacts has gotten old some years ago.

But I'd say that this won't be a good example of what will be possible to do with RT h/w on next gen consoles, simply because of the limitations of Crytek's s/w / h/w hybrid approach to RT. H/w RT support should allow for lots of things besides glossy reflections.

Nov 8, 2017
I was so hyped for the initial announcement but now I'm out. Underwhelming reveal, delay, probable cut content and now EGS. Fastest I've ever gone from definite day one purchase to "maybe some day" .

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
One Thing to think of before being disappoined prematurely - Crysis 1 May have a Camera post processing that looks to be naturalistic (so not like many games from its Generation which overly saturated the Image or undersatzrated it on purpose), but how Crysis does its lighting is not realisitic. A lot of the Extra contrast you see here in this trailer like in the forest scene is because Crysis 1 has unrealistic lighting with no bounce lighting and very little indirect shadows - there being more contrast is far more real. That is the whole purpose of the game using sparse voxel octree global illumination - it is tracing that bounce lighting that Crysis lacked. Crysis -1 had definitely the most realisic Real time lighting for its time of release, but it lacks in comparison to how it should actually look with a more physically correct Model.

They had very talented artists/level designers/lighting artists back in the day. The art team made a trip to an island to actually prep for the game. This is where all the "famous" Crysis vs. real-world examples came from in 2006 that everyone goshed over.
In CryEngine 2, the default Time Of Day was perfectly dialed in to simulate a real 24 hour cycle. Colorgrading was very naturalistic as well.
I have a feeling the remaster will have filmic colorgrading charts, the SVOGI, new AO and of course the deferred lighting, a newer ToD etc but that might not be dialed in as well anymore towards one goal.

272728358_24914c868d_o.jpg

272728361_6641dbff87_o.jpg

272733685_52ec949983_o.jpg
466d1173784194-cryengine-crysis-vs-real-life-shots-comp03.jpg

Rjqg95YKKhM9ezSrn773Ob6naEg3jQPdaSpoynRdgoSOxG_s-DHcg7qgN7kMD7_tT7Rp_xyb0ARp3Z5buIQApuQD2Y45PT_FgwlcTaEmbqOOyy-QdsP0IwnXRPQHgqW86bXv9Fk1CgFeb68HNc4k7efKLS6Du-xPjF0Ba2bclqlB9mQ

ZLvJR585dGrk06Q0_EenMCTzxyfuhFXyz-vL_qBHSJxbpoQ085ZwTCWGFztFezAYchshQL2pUP_ghu8VhgOdTR2ttW04KUGet-GyFsREAjtK_8kEEewEhfG1lx3zzjOXJlsCvZUKrV0gdJmrt-BuwwtfCSyymeo24DssBbbppUgENVE

Crysis_0133.jpg

if you look at "cheap" holiday photographs of an area like a jungle island, you will see the typical
natural blown out look without super deep black contrasts.
Will be interesting to see if the SVOGI will artificially darken stuff like that too much.
120512-A-CE999-105.JPG
05_Eua-Tonga-Travel-Pickup-Jeep-tour.jpg

Last edited: