• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
How are they doing ray tracing, svogi and high res textures on current gen?! Makes me wish devs had more games with this engine like a ryse 2

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's some nice improvements, looking at the sand, is that still using POM? Tesselation? or do the 8K textures simply allow for a smoother/higher quality parallax effect?
I dunno feels like they are missing the nice Parallax Occlusion mapped pebbles that made a nice transition between the big rocks and the sand?
"Just" slapping an 8K texture on it seems a bit "modder" style? The comparison shot on the beach did not feel that convincing as an improvement to me.

Do we know if this Remaster now is "just" the "8ked" CE3 console port of Crysis from the PS360 gen or did they go back to the PC version from 2007? There were a lot of assets remade cheaper for that console port by I think Crytek UK. Be interesting to see if they went back to the 2007 assets as well.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
I'll wait for the next next gen remake in 2030. Weird they were gonna push out a turd, internet laughs, then they go full on crazy with bells and whistles

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Dark1x So only mid-gen consoles will support software RT? What does mean up to 8K textures?Meaning PC, PS4 Pro and XB 1 X will get the 8K textures (like how some games on mid-gen textures are getting hi-res textures)? Also if next-gen evrsions are announced the RT support will behardware based too?

"Up to 8K textures", so I would assume some of the hero textures even on OneX and PS4Pro will be 8K. PC likely has more if not melt my VRAM levels of 8K textures.
The RT will be software based on Pro and 1X.
I imagine the base boxes just arent powerful enough to run the software RT and will relay on their other GI and reflection techniques.

PC version is using Nvidias VKRay extension.....as VKRay is part of the RTX brand does this lock out AMD from using hardware based RT?
Wouldnt Vulkans hardware agnostic solution have been a better bet....especially if they are porting the game to nextgen consoles and im guessing will include Hardware Accelerated RT there..I suppose porting from VKRay to Vulkan Raytracing isnt all that hard (as evidenced by YoungBloods) but still strange for them to use a very Nvidia specific solution.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
"Up to 8K textures", so I would assume some of the hero textures even on OneX and PS4Pro will be 8K. PC likely has more if not melt my VRAM levels of 8K textures.
The RT will be software based on Pro and 1X.
I imagine the base boxes just arent powerful enough to run the software RT and will relay on their other GI and reflection techniques.

PC version is using Nvidias VKRay extension.....as VKRay is part of the RTX brand does this lock out AMD from using hardware based RT?
Wouldnt Vulkans hardware agnostic solution have been a better bet....especially if they are porting the game to nextgen consoles and im guessing will include Hardware Accelerated RT there..I suppose porting from VKRay to Vulkan Raytracing isnt all that hard (as evidenced by YoungBloods) but still strange for them to use a very Nvidia specific solution.

Yes, I am wondering how they gonna deal with HW RT on next-gen consoles and RDNA2 GPUs. I hope that they won't keep it software based only and hardware one being just for Nvidia.

Nov 8, 2017
To anyone who might be say "why wouldn't you just use Epic store games, what's the big deal?" here is my experience with the store. As a huge fan of Total War I finally caved in and made an account to claim Total War: Troy. I put my email and desired password and was greeted with a messaged saying that I already have an account while I had never made one. I requested a password reset and I log into the account I supposed to have and what do I see? My location is set in Russia, the name was some gibberish, I was really shocked. Turns out EGS does not require a fucking email verification to create an account, anyone can create and activate an account on someone else's email, without his knowledge. Many had russian hackers create accounts on their name after they had stolen email addresses from other sites, for reasons unknown. EGS security is so fucking shit, they are so desperate for people making accounts. Never going to buy anything from that store.
It looks like they do now require a security code that is mailed to the address used during the sign up to complete the process.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Wasn't there a PlayStation Access video that said the game was coming out today lol. I wondered what happened there

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So the PC version uses Vulkan instead of Direct3D? Interesting.

That's got to be a promising sign about finally removing the single core CPU bottleneck from the game. Finally the dream of playing Crysis at a locked 60fps may finally be a reality. With DLSS included that could well be a locked 60fps at 4K with Ray Tracing on mid range hardware.

Of course Crysis had to be the game to bring ray tracing to consoles as well, it just feels right to use a Crysis remaster to break new technical ground.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I am wondering how they gonna deal with HW RT on next-gen consoles and RDNA2 GPUs. I hope that they won't keep it software based only and hardware one being just for Nvidia.

They will almost certainly move to a hardware agnostic solution for nextgen.
If they are sticking with software based, it better be damn good.

Cant wait to give this a go....I hope they include both software and hardware based solutions on PC so we can test out how efficient their solution is in a like for like test.

It doesnt look like they have touched the actually geometry too much but thats to be expected, its a remaster not a remake.
So hopefully a lowly xx70 will be able to 1440p100 this game.

With DLSS included.....oooffff im ready 2020 just got alot more exciting.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
DLSS, ray tracing, and good old Crysis? Will wait for DF breakdown to see if it's good, but it might finally get me to install the EGS launcher.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like it wont be exclusive on EGS for pc, it seems like its also coming to Microsoft store, unless they just mean xbox?
From their website https://press.crytek.com/crytek-announces-release-date-for-crysis-remastered#
" The game will be available as a digital release via the Epic Games Store, the PlayStation Store, and the Microsoft Store for USD 29.99 / EUR 29.99."
Crossing fingers it's on gamepass for PC. Seeing Epic getting hungrier and greedier, Microsoft would do well to undercut the EGS by bringing the PC version to their service. (But I guess some contract somewhere will forbid it).

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
EA not the publisher anymore? I thought I'd be able to play this on ea play pro.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I hope they also utilize the tensor cores too, they did say their RT benchmark test isn't using the tensor cores but performance and graphics can look even better if they do.

Alexzan

Sep 24, 2019
Italy
Seems like it wont be exclusive on EGS for pc, it seems like its also coming to Microsoft store, unless they just mean xbox?
From their website https://press.crytek.com/crytek-announces-release-date-for-crysis-remastered#
" The game will be available as a digital release via the Epic Games Store, the PlayStation Store, and the Microsoft Store for USD 29.99 / EUR 29.99."
Microsoft Store for Xbox One, this kind of games will never release on the Windows 10 store. And why should it be available on that and not on Steam?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Microsoft Store for Xbox One, this kind of games will never release on the Windows 10 store. And why should it be available on that and not on Steam?

There have been multiple examples of EGS exclusives also being available on GamePass PC and the Microsoft store. when Epic pays for exclusivity, they really only care about keeping it off of Steam.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Also, just thought it — if the NVIDIA cards indeed drop on Sept 17, they'll probably use this game to showcase them! Brilliant strat!

Alexzan

Sep 24, 2019
Italy
There have been multiple examples of EGS exclusives also being available on GamePass PC and the Microsoft store. when Epic pays for exclusivity, they really only care about keeping it off of Steam.
Yeah, Game Pass is possible, but tbh I don't think we'll actually see it on there, at least for now. If the publisher is still EA (i'll try to check it out), maybe it'll be available on EA Play like the original game.

EDIT: It seems like that Crytek is self-publishing the game, which kind of explains the EGS esclusivity.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a chance they will release a demo to make us realize the updated graphics? They did have one for the original game when no PC could run it back then. :p

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The vkray extension from NV can be mapped to the VkRT in the AMD driver - im fact it will have to for AMD to get RT working in games that came out on Vulkan before it was codified.
I guarantee the hw RT im Crysis Remastered will work fine on Amd hw as soon as AMD has a driver and GPU to Support it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Assuming that the PC version is the same as the Switch version (and there's zero indication to suggest otherwise) then yeah, it's based on the PS3/360 ports. Which means no manual suit controls, no multiplayer and I believe one of the later levels remains missing.
I've been operating under the assumption that the Switch port branched off of the PS3/360 ports due to the limitations of its hardware.

I'll be disappointed if the PC release comes from the same tree of the family.

Lacking the suit controls of the original release might be a deal breaker for me.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The vkray extension from NV can be mapped to the VkRT in the AMD driver - im fact it will have to for AMD to get RT working in games that came out on Vulkan before it was codified.
I guarantee the hw RT im Crysis Remastered will work fine on Amd hw as soon as AMD has a driver and GPU to Support it.

I thought that Crytek had a hardware-agnostic RT software solution. Are we expecting to see this here?

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
So, will the software RT be available on PC? For legacy hardware?
Sound like the console version will have RT at 30FPS, but PC would only have the accelerated version for Nvidia cards

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Oh good just as we finally as a whole have stared to move past "but can it run Crysis" they've gone and done it again and the meme can live on.
Right now it's Can it run flight simulator 2020 not sure if this can top that existing hardware cannot hit 60 ultra. Even a 2080super and a good cpu can barely keep it close to 30. Rumor is only high end ampere cards will be able to do it at 60 ultra ie 3090

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It'll be very interesting seeing SW ray tracing on the base PS4 and the enhanced consoles.

They pulled off a workable, baked GI solution on the switch so with much more HW power on tap the quality should be much much better. Let's see if they opt for 900p on base PS4 though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone who might be say "why wouldn't you just use Epic store games, what's the big deal?" here is my experience with the store. As a huge fan of Total War I finally caved in and made an account to claim Total War: Troy. I put my email and desired password and was greeted with a messaged saying that I already have an account while I had never made one. I requested a password reset and I log into the account I supposed to have and what do I see? My location is set in Russia, the name was some gibberish, I was really shocked. Turns out EGS does not require a fucking email verification to create an account, anyone can create and activate an account on someone else's email, without his knowledge. Many had russian hackers create accounts on their name after they had stolen email addresses from other sites, for reasons unknown. EGS security is so fucking shit, they are so desperate for people making accounts. Never going to buy anything from that store.

This is just false. There is absolutely an email verification I just made a new account with a new email and this is what I got.

opQK2YD.png

And this isn't a new thing, I just dugged up my verification email from 2017 when the store wasn't even a thing and it was just an Epic account to get Unreal Engine. They've always had this.
LJmdgjx.jpg

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been operating under the assumption that the Switch port branched off of the PS3/360 ports due to the limitations of its hardware.

I'll be disappointed if the PC release comes from the same tree of the family.

Lacking the suit controls of the original release might be a deal breaker for me.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think basing the Switch on the PS3/360 ports and then basing the PS4/XB1/PC versions on the original PC version makes sense. Crytek would effectively be redoing the game twice.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
This is just false. There is absolutely an email verification, I just dugged up my verification email from 2017 when the store wasn't even a thing and it was just an Epic account to get Unreal Engine. But I just made a new account with a new email and this is what I got.

opQK2YD.png
Then how did I already have an account with no email from epic in my history. There were others with the same issues https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/general-discussion/1487369-account-by-russian-federation .