• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Massive waste of electricity.

Creates scarcity driving up prices on gaming hardware.

Money laundering.

It's a product that offers no real benefit to the world and exists only to be bought and sold by people who want to beat off to the stock market without actually beating off to the stock market.

The worst guy you know is way into crypto.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I feel like there is a pretty shallow perspective that is common here which just sees crypto as this environment trashing tool, which is only used by criminals and rich elites, when that's not exactly the case, while completely ignoring the benefits crypto would bring. No matter how many times people try to point out the use cases and benefits, they always seem to get glossed over to parrot the same negatives.

https://www.ledger.com/from-1-cent-to-1-billion-dollars-sending-money-was-never-this-easy

The cost and relative ease of transactions is tiny compared to traditional payments. While the carbon footprint is certainly an issue, we are already seeing a lot of companies shift to implementing the Bitcoin Lightning network to shift the bulk of transactions off chain, which should result in cheaper, faster and more scalable transactions. Which should also alleviate the impact on the environment.

Whether you like it or not, or even understand it crypto isn't going away, and will only become more pervasive.
because those negatives outweigh the positives by a huge amount

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I own 1 ethereum I bought for like $200 and 2 litecoins I bought for like $40 so Im doing alright

I do agree that as a whole its problematic though

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
That's the joke. Crypto is no different than what other industries are doing. However it is even more not necessary than those other things.
I agree!

Just sometimes it's like watching a crowd of people up to their necks in a giant swimming pool of poison water pointing and complaining that someone is pissing into one corner of it. Yeah, it's bad, folks, but you have bigger problems, ones you are immersed in and inured to and treat as "normal" and "natural" features of society.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I know for sure. By now we should already provided something similar by legal institution.

Like you know when you paying with bank app? thats not "your money" that can you hold and move between wallet. Like we shouldnot use paper money anymore. Something that storage whaever data to trade (no, its not fuvking credit card) should already became standard.

Its crazy even now its only idea that started from random nerd on internet and that still far from materialized.

(this is a long reply, and it's not really to your post, but your post is what kind of inspired me to write it ... I don't think you're coming from a place of malice or anything, I think you're sharing a point that is commonly expressed about the value of crypto. It's a point and line of reasoning that I used to believe in too, and I've only recently started to rethink it, so I want to go through my thought process for why I rethink it)

This is what I mean by 'religious beliefs' around crypto, and I know you're coming from a place of good will so I'm not singling you out, it's a very common thing among the crypto evangelizing community that has then bled out to the wider society. I used to say the same thing, I got really into blockchain, took one of those online courses on it to learn more about it from a technological perspective, and slowly started to lose faith in the argument over time.

Crypto evangelists pose something as a problem, like some theorem: "We need trust in financial transactions on the internet." And, otheer non evangelists will usually just kinda take it as a matter of faith, "Well, sure, makes sense." But someone might challenge that with, "Well, don't we already have trust in financial transactions?" And then the crypto evangelist goes a step further, "Sure, there's faith but only through a third party [Stripe, Venmo, Visa, PayPal, whatever up and down the complexity chain] and that's not sufficient," and usually because the first statement makes sense, there's like this religious leap that a lot of us take (myself included) where we're like, "Yeah! Trusting financial institutions isn't sufficient!" And that's when the crypto evangelizing becomes a religious belief, typically grounded in some sort of financial or techno libertarianism, like this idea that we can't trust banks, can't trust governments, can't trust the regular levers that control currency, like they're not to be trusted, so we need to invent something that solves these problems. But for most people, somewhere north of like 99%, that initial thing isn't a real problem -- faith in financial transactions, distrust in 3rd parties -- and then, likewise, for most people, cryptocurrency doesn't actually solve those problems for them, because for most people using crypto in some way they're *probably* going through a 3rd party exchange system, which isn't very different from those 3rd parties that we were originally told to distrust. For the bitcoin/crypto users who do legitimately "own" their own digital possessions, that's a really, really small portion of people who are participating in the crypto ecosystem. It's like a subset of a subset of a subset.

Now none of this is really a problem at all if crypto is just a technological curiosity, if it has a negligible impact on the environment, human societies, local ecology, and so on. But it doesn't -- it has significant ecological, environmental, and human cost. As another crypto-evangelist shared from twitter in another thread about the same topic a week ago, someone argued that "Bitcoin is designed to use a lot of energy, it's not a bug it's a feature," with this idea being that the energy consumption it demands is part of the system that makes it trustworthy or prevents inflation or some other "feature" of bitcoin ... that this was necessary to maintain some important axiomatic character of bitcoin. That's the point where I think crypto evangelists and those who have been preached to (you and me) should take a step back, and re-evaluate that initial set of things that we took on faith were "problems" that needed to be "solved." And when we reverse our steps, I think that we see that the "solutions" crypto is proposing really aren't solutions for 99%+ of people, and those "problems" really aren't problems for 99%+ of people, but the fallout of crypto is very real -- ecologically catastrophe and human suffering *IS* (or will be) a problem for 99%+ of people.

After challenging those religious beliefs in the problems that crypto is trying to solve which aren't problems for the vast majority of people, sometimes the evangelists pivot to the developing world.

I think there's a necessary component of European/American/Western racism inherent in the justifications of bitcoin as well. You often see the argument of something like, "Well, you [American] can trust your bank, Venmo, or PayPal, but someone in the developing world can't, and that's another reason why we need this decentralized digital currency..." But, again if we take a step back from that and analyze the problem ... First, no, like of the pressing problems in the developing world, decentralized digital currency transactions are really not in the magnitude of problems that "The West" needs to solve for "them." Clean drinking water, electricity, medicine, sure if that's your thing, decentralized digital currencies ...... probably not. But, even if we do take that as a problem, and accept as a matter of faith that the developing world needs white wealthy software engineers from the colonizing countries to solve their perceived financial problems, the solution that us techno-colonizers are proposing is absolutely devastating for the developing world. Us in Europe, the Americas, and developed pacific countries are generally not going to suffer the harshest fallout from climate change, the developing world is: flood, drought, famine is going to have much more affect on developing nations than on those colonizing nations which are largely behind the push for crypto adoption. And the energy generation for crypto mining is, generally, coming from slave or extreme low-wage labor in developing or authoritarian countries.

The reason I like the religious analogy so much is because of this tangential argument ... that "we" need to develop a decentralized trustworthy digital currency to benefit the developing world. It's just so similar to me the argument that colonizers made in the 18th and 19th century. The savage bushmen of central Africa need our Dutch sophistication so that they can speak a real language, convert to Christianity, and be saved in the afterlife. Of course European colonization of the Congo is necessary! How else will the native people's come to appreciate the stage plays of Joost van den Vondel!?! And (breaking out of the colonizers voice) in reality colonization wasn't to save the aboriginal bushman, it was to line the pockets of wealthy Europeans. Maybe occassionally there would be some mission that would try to bring medicine or more productive farming practices to some rural population, but by and large, it was devastating and destructive, and whatever benefits there were -- the rare farming innovation -- were vastly outweighed by the humanitarian and ecological disaster that colonization wrought, while the slave traders and colonizers became rich on the suffering of those they colonized.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is thread is probably the best example of ERA being in an echo chamber on a subject (but is it any surprise that it's like this on a what is primarily a gaming forum?).

I say this as someone who is aware of the current issues that cryptocurrency has or brings. One weird thing I'm noticing is that many here are too caught with the semantics of the word "currency" being included in the word. They will focus on cryptocurrency an being an investment, but will entirely ignore stable coins like USDC that are pegged to the USD for some reason? Not sure if it's from a lack of experience from trading crypto.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Crypto is usually the purview of libertarians/people whose politics don't align with Era so it's really not something you want to proudly defend on this forum. Every forum has its culture and things you're encouraged to say you dislike or be silent on if you like it.

(On top of the graphics card and environmental concerns)

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Mining is the issue. Its moronic.

I have friends trying to get their PHDs who can't get a hold of GPUs to build their research rigs. They are beyond frustrated

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its the GPU shortage. The "hate" dates back to NeoGAF years and years and years ago long before mining approached "Electricity usage of some countries". You can probably still search and find those threads if you can stomach the old place. It didn't start on ERA it migrated here when the posters did.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
I completely understand the mining angle, what I don't get is the "use for illegal activities" one, like illegal activities are already being bought and paid for with normal money, how does crypto make it worse, it is it like just a case of it making it more worse? I'm generally curious as I don't keep up with this stuff.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the GPU shortage. The "hate" dates back to NeoGAF years and years and years ago long before mining approached "Electricity usage of some countries". You can probably still search and find those threads if you can stomach the old place. It didn't start on ERA it migrated here when the posters did.
I don't give a fuck about a GPU. Fuck cryptos.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Everyone here is going to say one of the following reasons :
  1. Graphics card prices shooting through the roof, and to a smaller extent dragging other PC Components with it
  2. Mining, but they'll ignore that most coins are moving away from mining in favour of the exponentially more energy efficient staking model and gut the Crypto mining industry like a fish. Regardless Bitcoin is still mined and at this time has no plans to change that. And ETH is about a year away from completing the transition
  3. Regulations.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
what's weird about crypto is that it's become like a sub culture. lol we have people out here spreading the gospel of crypto and it's like, okay it's a currency..

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I feel that any discussion about the positive benefits of other cryptos is kind of moot as long as BTC is still used as an intermediary currency and barometer for the overall crypto space. BTC sucks shit.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
For me outside of the environmental stuff it's the next MLM type scam for the financially vulnerable. Already see Forex scammers moving onto alt-coins.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

I mean... you could at least go through the thread and see whether that's the case or not. People are giving all kinds of reasons and there are on going conversations, few of which note GPUs as a reason.

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, the opinions here and the general ignorance of the general population shows we are still in the early phase of crypto. It's here to stay.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
People here have a really limited, I would say ignorant, view of cryptos and blockchain technology in general. Just reading these posts, this is quite evident.

Most people, I would say 99% of them ,think crypto = Bitcoin. And yes, there a lot of assholes that own BTC.

Bitcoin indeed is useless as a monetary system. It will never replace money. It consumes too much energy. Proof of work is outdated technology that should indeed die, because it is not sustainable.

The solutions are already known. XRP, for example, run a on much better protocol (Proof of stake). Green cryptos are coming.

EcoFriendlyCrypto.jpg

Everyone saying they do not or cannot solve problems have no fucking idea what they are talking about. Maybe if you think it's normal for money to take 3 days to transfer and pay fees for 45 middlemen when you want to buy or send money to your family?

You think it's normal for people in poor countries to face 150% inflation in a week and see the value of their economy go down the drain?

You think it's normal that hundred of millions of people cannot participate in the financial market and use banking services right now (the unbanked)?

You think your information is safe online right now? You think it's ok for google, facebook and amazon to use your information to make money while you get nothing?

You think information transfer, energy grid transfer is efficient enough now and we should not make it better?

You think artists and creators are paid their fair share for the work they do?

Blockchain can and will change the world. And we need people to learn about it and go beyond the Bitcoin bubble to make it valuable.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I mean... you could at least go through the thread and see whether that's the case or not. People are giving all kinds of reasons and there are on going conversations, few of which note GPUs as a reason.

I have been around since the beginning. I have seen all of those. And I've seen the discussions that birthed them years ago dating back to the very beginning when people mined on CPUs. Everything STEMS from the GPU shortages (maybe a little criticism from around the time the first large exchange went under). That was the main issue, always was. Nobody cared about weird libertarians when bitcoins were being given out hundreds at a time because they were nearly worthless. Sure theres other reasons people dont like it now; but it started there. When the mining moved to GPU's as things progressed that's when you started seeing people have issues with it.

It was all memes and jokes about "Internet fairy coins" when people were talking about mining on their CPU's way back then. Not power consumption, illegal transactions or "is this a real currency" issues. Every story has a genesis. Are you as willing to go back and read stuff from 2011 2012 to see if Im just making it up as you are to assume I didn't read the 2 pages here? Because Im not lying about its origins.

Edit: Im pointing this out to indicate its probably not accurate to place the whole of "ERA" and its politics as the sole reason for this. Because it existed long before ERA and much of that same community has migrated here over time. And back then GAF was considerably less progressive than it became before the great exodus. It also isn't intended to state its the ONLY problem people have with crypto obviously. But that was the big starting point.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think a more apt question is "why is era more right about crypto than the wider world and especially the crypto evangelizers?" Like, what is unique about us that we've been more apt to jump off the crypto evangelizing wagon and become more skeptical? I agree with other posters, OP, that this community is more crypto-skeptic than other internet communities like ours (generally more white, generally more upper middle class, generally more college educated, with probably more tech-focused people), but I don't think we always were. Crypto-evangelism was the zeitgeist in this community like others, but at some point in the last 12-24 months we started to jump off.

I think the rise of crypto as a tech culture / religion, is also caused by the echo-chamber affect of internet communities. If you are into crypto, even a little bit, you're more likely to follow channels on reddit about blockchain, bitcoin, ethereum, whatever. You're more likely to follow people on twitter who are crypto evangelists who maybe you read their posts on reddit. You're more likely to go to websites like ... Bitcoin.com or Ledger or whatever, and then you're more likely to get algorithmic crypto evangelizing ted-like talks on YouTube ..... You're more likely to read and trust libertarian websites like ZeroHedge. You end up becoming enveloped by the evangelist community. Check out someone who challenges crypto evangelism on Twitter, if they're a prominent enough person or publication, the replies will be flooded with evangelists (overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly have like ... hand/artist-drawn animated cartoons of themselves as their avatar, why, who knows, they look cool) talking about how the skeptic doesn't even understand the block exchange system (LOL!), and then a string of libertarian philosophy. This is like the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith challenge heresy: Incredibly informed people, smart people, and probably otherwise good natured, good intentioned people, congregate in a mob to battle the heresy that challenge that tenet of the faith, using usually obtuse faith-driven arguments ("Lol! Bitcoin is a house of cards? Just like fiat currency! ... Crypto isn't a currency? When was the last time you exchanged GOLD for a pizza!?). It reinforces the echo-chamber.

I don't think that crypto evangelism would take off in the same way without the echo chamber affect, just like a lot of internet movements. This isn't an inherent criticism of the crypto community, tons of other communities that I belong to are like that too.

Going back to the question at the top of this post, "Why are we the way we are?"

I think it's because this community is anti-libertarian in general, we're very hostile and skeptical to libertarianism. We're not *as* left-leaning populist as other communities, we're still left but not as much left populism, and closer to left-liberal than firmly left. We're probably more environmentally conscious than other similarly demographic'ed communities. And I think Cipherr is probably onto something, while people like me and Shugga, John K, don't give a fuck about GPU scarcity (I haven't owned a gaming PC is like 15 years), there might have been more nascent skepticism of crypto here because of its affect on the GPU market... Enough so that sharing skeptical opinions about crypto has more room to grow than crypto evangelizing. That GPU scarcity affect probably made crypto skepticism more acceptable as an opinion to share, something that doesn't exit in those crypto evangelist communities on Twitter, Reddit, and so on. If you shared a crypto-skeptical opinion about GPU scarcity for videogames there, you'd be swarmed with religious arguments about how crypto is going to save our souls and so that's a fair trade off if it means you can't play videogames in 4K. Here, it's the opposite, and so there's more room for crypto skepticism.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go out and say much of the anti-crypto sentiment comes from people salty about high priced graphics cards, not so much for environmental concerns.

That aside, there definitely are interesting systems being developed by crypto dev teams. For example, one particular crypto is working on decentralized end-to-end encrypted messaging, with trusted and trustless (i.e. atomic swaps) crypto swaps. In other words, people will be able to trade crypto directly with each other on an app interface. No centralized exchange getting in the way.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
On a sort of related topic can anyone point to me a way to send thousands of dollars to sibling without any income limitations with no fees? I had this issue last month where very major app was limiting me (Zelle had the highest allowance at $2K max per day?).

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by Posting, Antagonizing Other Users Over A Series of Posts
Oh is this the thread where folks pretend their investment into crypto is high-minded and not just to make a quick buck? And that everyone else is just a ignorant anti-crypto Luddite?

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
I have been around since the beginning. I have seen all of those. And I've seen the discussions that birthed them years ago dating back to the very beginning when people mined on CPUs. Everything STEMS from the GPU shortages (maybe a little criticism from around the time the first large exchange went under). That was the main issue, always was. Nobody cared about weird libertarians when bitcoins were being given out hundreds at a time because they were nearly worthless. Sure theres other reasons people dont like it now; but it started there. When the mining moved to GPU's as things progressed that's when you started seeing people have issues with it.

It was all memes and jokes about "Internet fairy coins" when people were talking about mining on their CPU's way back then. Not power consumption, illegal transactions or "is this a real currency" issues. Every story has a genesis. Are you as willing to go back and read stuff from 2011 2012 to see if Im just making it up as you are to assume I didn't read the 2 pages here? Because Im not lying about its origins.

I know how the conversation began, it wasn't just about GPUs but that was how a lot of people noticed this yes.

Which says nothing about how people feel about it now, or that other reasons they present are somehow a cover for not having access to GPUs. People could be forgiven for thinking that cryptocurrencies were a small concern back then, by all measures they were. And the legal and economic ramifications of the concept were also new and by and large not really worth exploring if you weren't interested in investing in it, or already had a pre-existing solid understanding of how the concept could change things. Which is not the case now. Cryptocurrencies are inescapable and have dug deep here and there, and by and large a lot of people have by now had contact with them outside of hardware prices being prohibitively expensive/scarcity.

Saying "It's the GPU shortage" is like saying people have no other reason, but they do and they're talking about it right here. And a LOT has changed since then, not to mentions the years it's put on people.

I learned about cryptocurrencies in high school, and that was fifteen years ago, before there were any real implementations of the concept.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh is this the thread where folks pretend their investment into crypto is high-minded and not just to make a quick buck? And that everyone else is just a ignorant anti-crypto Luddite?
This is a good example of running head first into a thread not reading the room at all, lol...

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Bitcoin is the most conceivably possible inefficient way to handle a currency and its contributing to global warming on a scale larger than some nations. No-one has convinced me that its "worth" the emissions when we can solve the problems it solves in other ways (including possibly using other currencies)

I'll cool off on Crypto when the people pouring money into it like Tesla, etc switch from Bitcoin to other, more sustainable currencies

Fuck Bitcoin

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017

If we're going to be honest with each other, I can say the same about people feigning outrage about electricity consumption and most certainly motivated by graphics cards.

Personally, I am motivated in earning money from crypto. I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit to that. But I also enjoy using it. It's cool tech.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good example of running head first into a thread not reading the room at all, lol...

Trying to claim that crypto is not currently a electrical nightmare drain on society because energy efficient crypto exists but are only a fraction of a percent of the market is lying to your self and others.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
And when we reverse our steps, I think that we see that the "solutions" crypto is proposing really aren't solutions for 99%+ of people, and those "problems" really aren't problems for 99%+ of people, but the fallout of crypto is very real -- ecologically catastrophe and human suffering *IS* (or will be) a problem for 99%+ of people.
This is an excellent way of putting it. Bitcoin is consuming more energy then Argentina to provide services far smaller than the entire electric service of Argentina

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here is going to say one of the following reasons :
  1. Graphics card prices shooting through the roof, and to a smaller extent dragging other PC Components with it
  2. Mining, but they'll ignore that most coins are moving away from mining in favour of the exponentially more energy efficient staking model and gut the Crypto mining industry like a fish. Regardless Bitcoin is still mined and at this time has no plans to change that. And ETH is about a year away from completing the transition
  3. Regulations.
I mean, you just made exactly the biggest argument against it. Tesla didn't invest in Etherium. The hedge funds aren't pouring money into Litecoin. All the money is still going into Bitcoin, which needs to be murdered and dumped in a ditch

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to claim that crypto is not currently a electrical nightmare drain on society because energy efficient crypto exists but are only a fraction of a percent of the market is lying to your self and others.
Yeah, but the majority of posts in this thread have not been making this claim. Just be honest that you saw thread title and that was enough for you to make a drive by.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I work in the clean energy/energy efficiency sector and it's really disheartening to see all the carbon we help save be essentially voided by the massive energy use from the biggest cryptocurrencies.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Agreed. The monetary value of crypto is too volatile to make it an effective currency as well. Instead it has become a speculative "investment" and nothing more.

You may find this interesting.

Reserve | Stable currency, a human right

Reserve is a cryptocurrency project. We want money that doesn’t inflate like USD, but isn’t volatile like Bitcoin. Our approach is to bundle stocks, bonds, gold, real estate and more into an index, and use that as money.

Aug 30, 2020
As long as proof of work and mining aren't done, it's not outright evil. Otherwise I do think it's stupid, as regulation is good. It's also not a great investment because it's all speculation. There is no inherent value except to extreme libertarians (and I don't think that's a valid political perspective). It's not a worthwhile technology for currency purposes. Finally, it's also vulnerable to manipulation, if a party is willing to invest enough effort and money. It's possible to take over enough Bitcoin proof of work to destroy the currency, should you have reason to do so, if you're a moderately large corporate or state actor.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you just made exactly the biggest argument against it. Tesla didn't invest in Etherium. The hedge funds aren't pouring money into Litecoin. All the money is still going into Bitcoin, which needs to be murdered and dumped in a ditch

That simply is not going to happen for the very reasons you listed. So we\they have to figure out how to get them clean cheap energy. Suggestions?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
As long as proof of work and mining aren't done, it's not outright evil. Otherwise I do think it's stupid, as regulation is good. It's also not a great investment because it's all speculation. There is no inherent value except to extreme libertarians (and I don't think that's a valid political perspective).

There are 100% speculative assets, and there are those with utility. I chose to invest in the later.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That simply is not going to happen for the very reasons you listed. So we\they have to figure out how to get them clean cheap energy. Suggestions?
This is the most defeatist response honestly. The idea that we can never go backwards, only forwards. Maybe governments can regulate crypto, and a bunch of rich assholes can take a bath

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
- Most of them are ran on hype, FOMO, and speculation.

- At least for Bitcoin, some of the people involved are utterly crazy. One dev was an ex-con who went to prison for selling explosives online. Another lived in a swamp in Florida and wanted to write scripture into the Bitcoin code. (These weren't edge cases either, they were well known contributors)

- Some financial regulation and oversight should exist.

Remeber when Bitcoin split into Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Classic because the developers had an argument, and there was no actual method to vote on changes so they just DDOSed each other until one side was destroyed?

Or when Ethereum lost like 30% of all Ethereum to a person who exploited the built in programming language, which was the whole selling point of Ethereum?

--

Maybe there are some good coins out there, but the vast vast majority seem like get rich quick schems by Ayn Rand libertarians who only have a passing knoweldge of why regulations exist.

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i kind of feel like there's a naivety in thinking that this will somehow upend the status quo, or manifestly improve the lives of people living in extremely volatile economies. If it does, good, but to think that existing actors in the financial sector won't subvert this to their favour so it benefits the currently rich instead of allowing for the baseline of living to be improved, or that the same won't be done by new people given power by this same new technology... i wouldn't bet a cent on that.