• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This might be pure nostalgia talking but whatever.

That's all I have to say about that.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be playing this on the Genesis Mini.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's good, but I also encourage you to look up some of the stuff Noriyuki Iwadare and some of his associates put out on the console if you like this.

Something like Ranger X will be extremely up your alley, and the work those guys did on Zero Wing and Langrisser is quite stellar as well! Honestly, I think the Genesis version of Zero Wing sounds leagues better than the Arcade version.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's good, but I also encourage you to look up some of the stuff Noriyuki Iwadare and some of his associates put out on the console if you like this.

Something like Ranger X will be extremely up your alley, and the work those guys did on Zero Wing and Langrisser is quite stellar as well! Honestly, I think the Genesis version of Zero Wing sounds leagues better than the Arcade version.
I've played Ranger X but can't think of a single track from it lol. Played it much later though so nostalgia theory in the op confirmed.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It is at least a little bit more proggy/experimental than the songs in Centy though I do think it strikes a similar itch, even if it's maybe less inherently hummable.

Landstalker's another good one. Basically anything with "cube" in the sound driver list is going to have a similar vibe to the Centy music. A common engine for smaller devs or for work that was outsourced, and the team responsible definitely knew what they were doing.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still upset that this didn't make it onto the Genesis Mini. :(

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I recently played this for the first time (so no rose coloured glasses) and, yeah, it's great. I'm a big Lunar fan, and you can really feel Iwadare's progression as one of the most colourful and up-beat composers at the time.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's good, but lacks energy.

This is by far the best OST on the system, and it's not even close:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I see no Probotector, nor Adventures of Batman & Robin, Thunderforce 4, Zero Wing (it's awesome!) or even Ecco...At least Midnight Resistance is well represented!

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as nobody else has posted it yet, I'll offer up Streets Of Rage 2. I guess it was too obvious.but I love all the alternative choices.

SoR2 Super Mix (Final stage)

Under Logic (Stage 4)

Slow Moon (Stage 5)

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It is at least a little bit more proggy/experimental than the songs in Centy though I do think it strikes a similar itch, even if it's maybe less inherently hummable.

Landstalker's another good one. Basically anything with "cube" in the sound driver list is going to have a similar vibe to the Centy music. A common engine for smaller devs or for work that was outsourced, and the team responsible definitely knew what they were doing.

Ah great, now I can't stop humming that Landstalker tune.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
No, that's either SoR2's or Sonic 3 & Knuckles', but Crusader of Centy does have a pretty good OST. The ice dungeon's was particular memorable.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's in my top 10 no doubt.

Find myself humming that hook 13 seconds in once in a while.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Crusader of Centy is good, but come on.

Come on.

It's Thunder Force IV.

Streets of Rage 2 is good for second place.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
This is actually the best Genesis OST

Skip to 11:22 for the height of Genesis music

I also have a soft spot for

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It has some good tunes, but the competition is too tough.

This was the exact song that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Don't mind the Soileil / Centry soundtrack though. Rafflesia Training Grounds is a classic earworm that never left my head since playing it as a kid.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Rocket Knight Adventures is a deeply underappreciated soundtrack. Aki Hata is secretly one of the best composers of that era (her work on Dynamite Headdy is equally delightful).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

[SEGA Genesis Music] Gauntlet / Gauntlet IV - Full Original Soundtrack OST

Recorded from real Sega Genesis, Model 2 w/ASIC YM3438 +MegaAmp mod00:00 Main Theme00:30 Treasure Room 1P00:53 Treasure Room 2P01:21 Treasure Room 3P01:51 Tr...

Gauntlet IV is one of the most unbelievable sounding Genesis games out there.

Ristar's soundtrack also sounds amazing. So clean.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Ristar's soundtrack also sounds amazing. So clean.
Speaking of Ristar, Rink Rink is one of the few Genesis tracks I know of that kinda featured a wood wind. The other one is this

I think this is one of the Genesis's most pleasing sounds. I hear a lot of (bad) trumpets, (bad) guitar, and (bad) bass in a lot of Genesis games, but not a whole lot of wood wind

Anyone know why?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The Genesis/Mega Drive has so many objectively godlike OSTs in its catalog, I'm not sure a absolute "best" can rightly be determined.

Almost every game posted in this thread has a claim at the crown, and we haven't even dug that deeply. There are so many more it's ridiculous.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019

I linked the Stage 1 music, but the whole soundtrack is worth listening to from about 1:35 or so after the intro really gets going.

I quoted too many pieces of media or I would post the Star Cruiser OST as well.

Pfff.
Listen to this one:

Can we just all agree that Hitoshi Sakimoto is amazing whether he's doing Midnight Resistance or Gauntlet?

ok, I knew no one would post from these but faces must be melted so...
Who doesn't like MUSHA?

It's good, but lacks energy.
I feel the same way which is why my favorite Crusader of Centy track is Battle 3/Leviathan. I wouldn't call it objectively amazing, but it has tons of energy.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
DOTDASHDOT has nice hardware recordings of a bunch of Mega Drive soundtracks - in other words, if possible, please never post ear-achy uploads from SNESMD16-OST again, my comrades.

Anyway, here are some bangers that might have been missed;

Another one by Hisashi Sakimoto:

OT; there are also plenty fantastic fanmade and indie/homebrew MD arrangements out there; have a listen to the works of ChiptunedRaijin, GENATAR_i, Savaged Regime or VinylCheese, just to name a few.

Oct 30, 2017

Gauntlet 4's "Sortie" is exactly what I came into this thread to post. Legendary track. Sakimoto uses the chipset in a lot of interesting, moody ways. "Transparent Obstacle" is a showcase, doing things that are just impossible on SNES.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
It's definitely a nice soundtrack, but the competition from games like Sonic, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Thunder Force, Ecco, Sub-Terrania, Gley Lancer, Elemental Master etc is just too tough.

When it comes to underrated Mega Drive music, few things can top AWS Pro Moves Soccer IMO. Like Red Zone and Batman & Robin, the game uses Jesper Kyd's sound driver from Sub-Terrania.

Just listen to this.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as nobody else has posted it yet, I'll offer up Streets Of Rage 2. I guess it was too obvious.but I love all the alternative choices.

SoR2 Super Mix (Final stage)

Under Logic (Stage 4)

Slow Moon (Stage 5)

Centy is a hidden gem that should be played by way more people, but yeah, SoR2 wins the Genesis soundtrack war.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A megadrive soundtrack I think is really underrated is Yuzo Koshiro's "Story of Thor" one. Very different to his usual work, but perfectly fits the game. Love it so much

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Still salty about it not being on sega ages.
Expected unfortunately.

Easily the game I like the most from that console.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
DOTDASHDOT has nice hardware recordings of a bunch of Mega Drive soundtracks - in other words, if possible, please never post ear-achy uploads from SNESMD16-OST again, my comrades.

Anyway, here are some bangers that might have been missed;

Another one by Hisashi Sakimoto:

OT; there are also plenty fantastic fanmade and indie/homebrew MD arrangements out there; have a listen to the works of ChiptunedRaijin, GENATAR_i, Savaged Regime or VinylCheese, just to name a few.

His versions do sound better but the one I posted (Alisia Dragoon 1-1) is incomplete in his upload and lacks the second part that SNESMD16-OST includes, even if it sounds too scratchy.

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
Gauntlet 4's "Sortie" is exactly what I came into this thread to post. Legendary track. Sakimoto uses the chipset in a lot of interesting, moody ways. "Transparent Obstacle" is a showcase, doing things that are just impossible on SNES.
And those tracks are all pure FM. No PSG, and no samples. The best FM drums I've heard in any Mega Drive games come out of his sound driver

Oct 25, 2017
When I think of Genesis/MegaDrive music my mind tends to go straight to Landstalker. That said, I was reminded of this classic by Sonic Mania.