• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the showcase seems like the obvious place at this point. Maybe get the first "flavor pack" beforehand, but the main expansion, definitely not until March.

I do think going six months without even getting a roadmap for the first season of DLC, when they were selling it before the game was even released, is poor form. I'm sure COVID was a factor, and it's not like the game is really starved for content, but I expected a timeline around launch.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting - I'm a little confused why they just went with a "winter" mechanic, when structuring it as a more robust "season" mechanic would give you hooks to hang future additions, like, say, a wet/dry season for sub-Saharan Africa, or a monsoon season for southern Asia. Maybe they are under the hood, who knows - more dynamic regional gameplay is always good to see though.

The fact they're already detailing 1.3 stuff strongly suggests to me we'll be getting the first "flavor pack" and patch shortly after the announcement next month.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah I hope they continue building this out. Winter is ubiquitous enough that if they're going to start with just one season that seems like a good one. But more and more localized stuff over time would be sweet.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I accidentally played until 1 am last night. Made a Mongol ruler under the Kurghiz Khanate as my first Tribal ruler. It was a bit of a slow start but once I figured out the raiding system (seems you can't raid your fellow vassals!), I was able to conquer multiple duchies and form a kingdom. I have 14 champions and a prowess of 47. I don't think any of my champions has a prowess below 20 and Knight Effectiveness is at 255%. Even at half the enemy strength we still come out on top, it's the first time I've seen a large army with a higher than two-star quality. My next goals are to subjugate the rest of my new kingdom title start looking towards reforming Mongolia.

My only problem is when this dude dies, it's going to be goddamn chaos. The sons aren't fuckups but holding on is going to take some work. None of them are good enough to wield this army though I do have some great generals.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Winter? That's what they're wasting time on? Why not spend time working on something fun, or on improving performance, instead of something that seems designed only to fuck you over.

Cant wait to have my heir die during bullshit winter events. Hypothermia or avalanches or something.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I expect selected deployment of certain men-at-arms if they want to implement environments throwing a wrench at you. Deployment options in its current state is tedious having to manually remove certain units that are disadvantaged

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I expect selected deployment of certain men-at-arms if they want to implement environments throwing a wrench at you. Deployment options in its current state is tedious having to manually remove certain units that are disadvantaged
Yeah there really needs to be men at arms loadouts for when you raise troops.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Current implementation of the entire battle system and enemy AI makes MAA advantage and terrain useless. You have no choice over where you fight. It's a game of chasing the AI until you can catch them wherever they are. The AI never initiates battles unless it's decided it can win. Otherwise they just run away.

The fact that they think they can get away from doom stacks by limiting supply is hilarious too.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The way to kill doomstacks is to implement supply lines (would also cut down on the foreign adventurism where people regularly get into wars with people on the other side of the continent) but nobody wants that headache.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I'm amazed there's no border mechanic preventing you from just crossing into any neutral territory with no penalty. Even if they don't want an open border agreement like civ games, there should be a gold cost or heavy attrition

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed there's no border mechanic preventing you from just crossing into any neutral territory with no penalty. Even if they don't want an open border agreement like civ games, there should be a gold cost or heavy attrition
Considering what an army on the move did to the surrounding countryside back then, going through unaligned territories should at the very least piss their rulers all the way off.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I'm sure Paradox has something in the works to implement penalties for armies crossing neutral territory in future updates. I would say gold deduction, opinion of neutral ruler, and supply attrition would factor into play when crossing a non-belligerent territory

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A couple new dev diaries in the past couple weeks:

DD#50: Poetry to my Ears
DD#51: It's Time to Duel

Poetry system and dueling system, obviously. Dueling was a big one, definitely felt missing in the base game and I'm glad to see it here. Some bits and pieces of the upcoming patch, too, with bug fixes and other improvements.

I'm assuming the first Flavor Pack will be out in the next couple weeks, after being announced this Saturday. Winter/Poetry/Dueling has me (and I'm sure most other people) thinking it'll be Viking themed, but who knows.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
From the teased patch notes 1.3 looks pretty huge even without whatever the DLC will be. I'm glad that dueling is a base game thing so that it can be used everywhere going forward.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Crusader vikings III

Will most likely be announced tomorrow, flavour pack and not DLC.
2hayaoicffm61.png

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Vikings! I was right.

But yeah, as much as it makes sense with the zeitgeist around Norse stuff, not all that interested. Fingers crossed we get an announcement for the first major DLC, too. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just really do not want to end up in the CK2 status quo again where it's The Norse, The Catholics, and The Everybody Else in terms of flavor/mechanics.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Officially announced:

Looks pretty meaty! Looking forward to seeing what they do for other regions, assuming they stick with this format for future flavor packs.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Vikings were by far the most fun I had with this game, so I will very probably actually buy it (I played on Gamepass) and this pack.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Haven't played a long game with Norsemen yet, looking forward to it. Glad this flavor pack is more than just cosmetics

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Adventures seem so interesting.
Conquer a duchy and start there from zero as an independent realm.
I hope the AI uses it a lot instead of expanding sweden into Italy.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Tried out the Varangian adventure casus belli and it's basically the Pannonian migration decision to form Hungary with Almos Arpad. Pretty cool mechanic expanding to the Norsemen; my only criticism so far is the lack of cultural synthesis decision where you can mix Nordic culture to the new lands you settle, would've cool to have Norsemen settle to India and have longboats, berserkers, and war elephants.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Oh Paradox.

Perfectly valid reason, so you can't reform just by owning the Empire of Scandinavia, but still hilarious.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Northern Lords is ok, but it seems like it's really early game content. You lose almost all of the features at the end of the tribal era, or when the culture split happens. If you don't take the legacies while you're Norse you lose access to them as Swedish/Danish/Norwegian.

I really like the elevate isle of Mann decision. The benefits are insane, and honestly way too much for how easy it is. It needs to get nerfed or they need to buff other decisions. Comparing it to way more challenging and time consuming decisions like Unite Africa is just laughable.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
More events are always welcome, guessing regents will be implemented much later

CK3 Dev Diary #57 - An Eventful Summer

CK3 Dev Diary #57 - An Eventful Summer Hello everyone! I hope you’re enjoying the warmer days, and that you are looking forward to hearing a bit more about the free patch, Azure, that we’re releasing this summer. Before we get into the meat of...

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
This Northern army conquest every damn minute is so annoying. I always beat them easily too so what's the point?

Last edited:

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
This Northern army conquest every damn minute is so annoying. I always beat them easily too so what's the point?

I don't mind it but Varangian conquest should implement harsh penalties (i.e. negative modifiers on stability, character relations, or loss of fame) if you fail on settling that area while giving defending victors buffs (i.e. stronger religious fervor, neighbors can join the fight against vikings after the first attempt)

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
New DLC announced, Royal Court.

CK3: The Royal Court - The Vision

Greetings! What’s the most symbolic image of a medieval ruler you can think of? Maybe they’re riding a horse through a village, maybe they’re perched at the top of a tower overlooking their realm, or maybe they’re leading troops in battle… those...

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not what I expected. But I admit, the court as-is is something I pretty much ignore, and I feel like it should be a much bigger part of a playthrough. More stuff to do during peacetime is always good news.

Interested in the changes to the culture system more than anything else.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Happy to see more role-playing elements implemented into this game. A lot of downtime for me is just planning the next border paint

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Excited for more content. Really want more to do besides painting the map and trying to expand the size of my pureblooded dynasty.

Now if they could just do something about through performance issues in the late game.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Curious to see how grandeur is implemented, dread mechanics felt shallow and didn't make a significant impact going deep into the intrigue line.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
Just started a new game. Not a lot of changes, but I like the new options you get with the personality traits and stress coping traits. They let you spend stress as a resource to get some nice boosts.