• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Z6It4Bp.png

This guy almost made the Guinness World Records. He became one of my first vassals shortly after the beginning of my playthrough and I remember not bothering much about his opinion of me as "he will probably die soon anyway." 25 hours later he finally decided he had had enough for a single lifetime... and he hated my guts (and those of my successor) pretty much the entire time.

It was the hate that fueled him

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
After empire building, grooming a perfect heir and marrying him off to a beautiful and highly skilled daughter of a favorable alliance, my kingdom fell apart. All because I wanted to throw a celebration party and by 65-year old ruler fell into bed with his daughter-in-law, getting her pregnant. Just then, my spymaster dies and my high intrigue son finds out about the bastard.

This game man.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
Does anyone know how the opinion modifier works for actions like "offer vassalage"? The person of interest has +10 opinion of me, but in the offer vassalage action it shows as +3. Is it always a third of the actual opinion or are there some kinds of soft caps? I could send him a rather large gift to get him to +100 but if it only ends up counting as +33 then it won't be enough by a few points.

*edit* After looking at a number of other people, it seems like there is a general 1/3 modifier. Unfortunate for me but good to know at least.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty good Byzantine game going and managed to marry my emperor to the heir to the neighboring empire, I don't remember the name. I assassinated the current emperor and then my character died shortly after, so I had emperor and empress of two different empires married, with the child being heir to both. Then things fell apart, the neighboring empire was basically 5 wars going at a time and I was burning through gold to hire mercenaries to try to fend them off, eventually one of them captured the empress and I lost the whole thing. My character eventually died and it said they fought 50 wars in their life.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with enemy armies just doing a runaround when going to war? I'm trying to work out the best way to deal with this, i.e. do I chase them around, just let them leave and get to sieging the city. At one point it seemed they were counter-sieging my own capital.
What I do is let them get sufficiently away while I'm sieging their Capitol, then split my troops into two. Group A is small - siege men-at-arms, some Levies and a Knight. Group B is the rest of my levies/knights/maA which I use to track them down and fight.

Obviously this tactic only works if Group B can beat the enemy army, but it works well for me.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I love this game, but god does it need some balance fixes. So much shit is just broken.

Every single wife cheats on you. All of them. Like everybody is just fucking everybody, and there's not a single couple out there that's not cheating. Like WTF. They need to tune that down. Happens way too much, and I'm sick of my game getting interrupted all the time because 2 random shits i don't care about fucked and I need to lock the woman up.

And war is just absolutely busted. The AI does 1 of 2 things, they either try to bumrush your capital, and when that doesn't work they just go around randomly siegieng towns, and when you get close they run away. It's like playing goddamn whack a mole. The penalties for losing a battle need to be way harsher, like destroyed completely. Not lose 20% of your soldiers and you keep fucking around. You need to chase an army for years just to destroy them completely.

I couldn't finish a war even though i had 10x the numbers, because even though i sieged every single territory they had, their tiny stacks kept splitting up and sieging random territory in mine, and keeping the score even, or in there favor. I fought them dozens of times and their stacks just did not dissapear.
Agree 100%. Especially about the wife thing. They seriously need to adjust that shit. The pop ups are insane.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit this is so unexpected. I am sitting at this screen just unable to make this choice

unknown.png

I can literally become a Crusader Queen. Look at this trait

unknown.png

I don't know what to do but I fucking love this game lol
I would personally not recommend it. I have seen 8 kingdoms of jerusalem between my own games and Livestreams. Not a single one of them lasted longer than 20yrs or so. You are just completely surrounded by enemies and anyone who is willing to ally with you to protect the holy land is months away from getting there to help you.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was searching on reddit to see what other people were saying and it was just as bad in CK2. Eventually people had to resort to mods to fix it bc the devs never did.
Really? Because I played CK2 leasing up to CK3 and I didn't have nearly as many affairs as 3 is having. Because right now if you are playing a big enough kingdom it's possible to not even go a month without having some jackhole accuse his wife of adultery or have my spy uncover some kind of affair. It's ludicrous and annoying.

Hopefully a mod comes out soon to fix it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly bothered by the affairs and stuff going on - it makes sense to me that it'd be super common in a society where marriage is more political than romantic and it's the classic "court intrigue" story. But the amount of incest in societies where it's not accepted feels unusually high to me - I feel like "you caught your husband having sex with your daughter" should be like, a once a game occurrence, and a much bigger deal than the game makes it. I'd at least like an "incest slider" or something at the start of the game, y'know?

Like, in 55 hours of gameplay, I think I've come across a cannibal in my realms like... twice, maybe? I feel like sibling/parental incest should be on that level.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
So I've finally found out who killed my second and third sons within a few months. It was my leprous, disfigured, one-legged, and completely infertile first son who I have been trying to get rid of for the past 20 years...

Who could have ever imagined that somebody with such a cute and innocent (and totally not crazy and murderous) looking face could be capable of doing such terrible deeds.

Omyrux8.png

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
So I've finally found out who killed my second and third sons within a few months. It was my leprous, disfigured, one-legged, and completely infertile first son who I have been trying to get rid of for the past 20 years...

Who could have ever imagined that somebody with such a cute and innocent (and totally not crazy and murderous) looking face could be capable of doing such terrible deeds.

Omyrux8.png
Disinherit.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria

Yeah, I should do that, totally forgot about this option. Not sure if that would have kept him from killing my other sons though? For now I've imprisoned him. The slight issue is that he is now my only heir. I'm currently trying to murder my spouse so I can marry someone younger that is still fertile so I can get another heir. Next in line would be my sister, who is Queen of Jerusalem, which would not be that bad I guess.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Yup.

I've disinherited a bunch of heirs along a few generations and surpringly, none seemed to have took it badly. Well, most where daughters and one son was rumored not mine, but still. They seemed to have taken it fine and i'm yet to have any of them or descendants of them pressing claims or starting rebellions.

Or maybe it's just britons that are super chill with disinheritance.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone had a game where the HRE doesn't collapse after a handful of decades?

In literally every game I have had so far the HRE has shrunk several sizes within about 40-50 years. Usually with several Duchys breaking free. It's not unusual for the HRE to have countries in the middle of it's territory that aren't apart of it.

Meanwhile France usually shrinks as well, but not as bad or as often as the HRE. The Seljuks ALWAYS run rampant over their neighbors and the Byzantines usually stay right about the same.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Started a game in 800s as Asturias and slowly got to a stable position long enough to make Hispania. But France broke into its two kingdoms and the French throne is now Insular Christianity (as it is the half of the british isles that is not Norse). My king is looking for a new wife after his first one died after giving him 3 great daughters... Come into place the Queen of Lothringian. She is in a pretty bad situation, with her kingdom broken into two thanks to East Frankia but with a decent army and hell, some nice army that I could use to end the Reconquista. Everything is OK, I love her army, she loves my army and we get married in the normal (non-matrilinear) way.

Just that I didn't realize she was asexual and had no natural sons. I knew what I had to do. I knew what to do. It was time to get them sons one way or another. I needed to get all those nice claims to reform the HRE. With my son or at least a relative at the helm. And it worked just as it started to look she was getting too old. It is beautiful:

unknown.png

Edit: I even got a spare kid for if one dies! Now one of them is gonna become emperor.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
This partition law is shit, all my 3 kingdoms gonna be devided by my 3 sons. And don't have the right innovation to change to primogeniture.

What to do now...

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I should do that, totally forgot about this option. Not sure if that would have kept him from killing my other sons though? For now I've imprisoned him. The slight issue is that he is now my only heir. I'm currently trying to murder my spouse so I can marry someone younger that is still fertile so I can get another heir. Next in line would be my sister, who is Queen of Jerusalem, which would not be that bad I guess.
He shouldn't be able to plot while imprisoned.
This partition law is shit, all my 3 kingdoms gonna be devided by my 3 sons. And don't have the right innovation to change to primogeniture.

What to do now...
Three brothers enter, one brother leaves.

Edit: If you can reunite your realm, founding a de jure or new empire should keep it together.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I see Paradox hasn't shaken their habit of straight up lying to you in the tooltips.

Playing a game as the Count of Aargau in 1066, aka the Von Habsburg count, where I'm trying to form the Archduchy of Austria and also rule the HRE. The tooltip for forming the Archduchy very specifically says your succession law will change to Primogeniture, which would obviously be absolutely amazing early-ish in the game (1100-something).

So I form the Archduchy after a lot of trouble and stress and guess what? The succession law didn't change at all, still on partition. Great stuff Paradox, really cool. Not that it's such a big deal, but it's just incredibly annoying to see the game just straight lying to you.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
My spymaster revealed a dark secret in my court.

He had an affair with his spymaster and they had an illicit child. My ruler pondered if the child knew. (the child is 0 years old)

My spymaster is a galaxy brain...

Oct 28, 2019
I'm about to murder, as Emperor of Hungary, my 11 year old grandson, the Byzantine Emperor, so that my daughter becomes Empress and my dynasty unites the two empires.

My heart is fucking racing lmao 95% let's fucking goooo

Edit: FUCK IT WAS DISCOVERED

Edit 2: Let's fucking goooooo back at 95/95 just bribed everyone I could

Edit 3: Succesful, and now my daughter is the Byzantine Empress. Only my fucking niece, a vassal of the Byzantine Empire, who is married to my son, is waging a war to install someone else on the throne lmao for fuck's sake

Edit 4: I'm up against a force of 108k (!) with a mere 20k of my own ... I'm going to lose the Byzantine Empire ...

The last hope I have is a 20% murder scheme against the claimant ...

I flew too close to the sun. I FLEW TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN!

Last edited:

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of creating duchy titles exactly? I see you get prestige for it but do they provide benefits to you while holding them? I was afraid of giving then out and making vassals too powerful.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of creating duchy titles exactly? I see you get prestige for it but do they provide benefits to you while holding them? I was afraid of giving then out and making vassals too powerful.

Every tier gives a little tax/soldiers to the above.
So a duke get a bit of tax/soldiers from all his counts and the king from all his dukes and the emperor from all his kings.

Counties inside a kingdom without a duke in the middle get the "wrong liege" penalty, which is the tiny icon on the realms screen.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest with you...I hate the vassal contract system. It's way too much micromanagement for my taste and feels like a downgrade from CK2.

Also the inheritance system is bah. Gavelkind was bound to return but it is extremely hard to press for a consolidated crownland if your culture does not support it yet. I started a save as de Hauteville but totally missed out on converting to Sicilian at the beginning which I did at a later point. So when the signs were pointing towards my King dying soon, I did not have the necessary innovation to enable the better inheritance law...

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
But i can change to Absolute Crown and choose an heir, don't see another way.

And this don't work either, it is only to select the main heir the secundary kingdoms still get divided.

I guess creating kingdom titles when you have partition enabled is not a good choice if you then have multiple kids. I had to destroyed them and force my other 2 sons only to get duchy's.

Man what a pain in the ass how do you guys deal with multiple male heirs?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every tier gives a little tax/soldiers to the above.
So a duke get a bit of tax/soldiers from all his counts and the king from all his dukes and the emperor from all his kings.

Counties inside a kingdom without a duke in the middle get the "wrong liege" penalty, which is the tiny icon on the realms screen.
The penalty is pretty steep, too, something like 25% of the levies/taxes. They really wanted to avoid people going the CK2 route of just having Counts.
And this don't work either, it is only to select the main heir the secundary kingdoms still get divided.

I guess creating kingdom titles when you have partition enabled is not a good choice if you then have multiple kids. I had to destroyed them and force my other 2 sons only to get duchy's.

I let my titles get broken up and then either roll with it or go on a fuckery spree to reclaim them. It's a setback, like losing a war, but dealing with setbacks is part of the game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not exactly advanced but this is what I'd guess

a) murder or deliberate suicide charges into enemy territory

b) try and work around it by spending resources on upgrading your primary holding (this is my current method)

c) restructure the law (this takes forever)

I became a bit more okay with it once I realised everybody else suffers from it too, it's the easiest way to see that e.g. whoever is ruling England now has dropped from 2k to 800 troops and it's time to go real estate speculating, or launch a war of liberation or whatever.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that influences my thinking here is that I play a lot of Jewish rulers and having nearby realms that're willing to engage in diplomacy and stuff makes the game more interesting, so having my realm broken up really isn't something I think too poorly about.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help everyone, figuring out some of this stuff is difficult. I have been loving the game overall, mostly playing on ironman mode and using the achievements as a guide.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone seen a mod that makes all succession Primogeniture based?

Tired of having to murder my siblings every 50 years or so.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i didnt even know ironman mode was a thing so no cheevos for me yet :(

not looking forward to reunifying ireland

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid surprise baby. My inheritance was perfect between two sons then when both my wife and I are starting to push 50 one more son comes along and fucks it all up. Now the little brat is inheriting pretty much all of the land in my primary duchy and destroying the power base I was planning to build up and take the empire for myself with. I am now weighing my options on how to deal with the problem, but it looks like good old fashion murder is off the table. Maybe I will just see if I can disinherit the little jerk.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm learning that the game saying "Your army is superior" does not guarantee a victory... or even a close fight. I need to see if this is comparing my army + my allies when telling me this? Seems confusing.

Oct 25, 2017

While handing out duchies does create more powerful vassals, it also allows you to bury counts who hate you under your newly made duke. So you can, for example, give the count in a duchy who has the highest opinion of you the duchy, and all those other counts are now his problem, not yours. They can't want seats on your council or join factions against you.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
The penalty is pretty steep, too, something like 25% of the levies/taxes. They really wanted to avoid people going the CK2 route of just having Counts.

I let my titles get broken up and then either roll with it or go on a fuckery spree to reclaim them. It's a setback, like losing a war, but dealing with setbacks is part of the game.

Yeah, I'm trying to fix the De Jure structure of my out-of-control empire and even giving independence to a bunch of vassals who are "wrong" does not hurt that much. I feel like the game is pushing for it, at least on my level of skill.
Once I have absolute crown authority, I think I will go crazy (through backup saves and scumming, which is how I am learning a lot about the game, just reloading and doing new things and seeing how it works out) on the revoking of titles and retracting of vassals to try and make the scadinavian empire 100% de jure compliant.

I feel like if I was doing that from the start, right now things wouldn't be this crazy nonsense web lol and I am looking forward to wrapping up this game and trying an ironman one doing everything "right".

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm learning that the game saying "Your army is superior" does not guarantee a victory... or even a close fight. I need to see if this is comparing my army + my allies when telling me this? Seems confusing.
The estimator isn't great, tbh. I think there's stuff it's missing out on, because I've taken fights the thing is insistent I should absolutely get destroyed on and come out comfortably on top.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Unfortunately I'm strapped for cash and I need to make two more duchys to get everything in Ireland squared away so I think I'll play the waiting game for now.
Sometimes that's how it is. Scotland tends to open up for some cheap wars though. I'm playing as King of Ireland now and Scotland is a hot mess. I will probably risk an alliance with France just to keep England at bay.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit thank you. I hope this is on Paradox's mod list. I'm playing CK3 on the game pass not steam.

Here is the non steam version:

Paradox Mods

A cheat mod if ever want to just goof around and see what craziness you can get up to:

Paradox Mods

A mod the adds back some of the game rule options that CKII had that are surprisingly missing from CKIII.

Paradox Mods

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes that's how it is. Scotland tends to open up for some cheap wars though. I'm playing as King of Ireland now and Scotland is a hot mess. I will probably risk an alliance with France just to keep England at bay.
I bethrothed my daughter to the Duke of Kent but otherwise I'm sitting and watching the money counter go up. Making the title for King of Ireland wiped out my savings lol

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I bethrothed my daughter to the Duke of Kent but otherwise I'm sitting and watching the money counter go up. Making the title for King of Ireland wiped out my savings lol
I feel you. My guy was 66 when I finally got the money for it. I spent the next year disinheriting my bad heir, then arresting the other(who died in the dungeons), and lastly killed his son so that my better son can be the Heir. It was an eventful final year for the first King of Ireland lmao. I wanna see how far I can spread this Empire so Scotland is my next target.