• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is less the AI being dumb and more the AI roleplaying because the enemy commander was bad, or cowardly and trying to avoid the fight...

Would be cool if that was the reason. Okay in all fairness the second one makes some sense as they were going to meet up with reinforcements, but they didn't make it back in time. The first one was a slightly superior force with a defensive advantage and they left to go visit the coast I guess. The Mediterranean was probably nice that time of year.

Last edited:

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very surprised there's no way to view the game's various Hotkeys and Shortcuts, let alone rebind them.

Is there a way to easily dismiss the various notifications that stack up in the bottom right corner? Right clicking them is such a hassle and they don't really go away with time

Edit: Found a page on the official Wiki for some of the Keyboard Shortcuts, but it's very barebones:

Keyboard shortcuts - CK3 Wiki

That looks to be all of the shortcuts. They actually reference the game files they pulled the information from at the bottom.

is the loading time crazy long for anyone else?
It does feel a bit longer today than it did yesterday. Not sure if it's the patch or just placebo.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
So I tried to run CKIII on my awful laptop with a Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics card... And it's playable?! But the map is very glitchy graphically, with a lot of gray rectangular boxes everywhere and stuff. Does anyone have a clue on what configs I can tweak to try to solve it?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Been scheming to make myself King of France for a couple of generations now starting as one of the Anjou brother counts in 1066. I think I've murdered about 10 Capetians to get to this point lol. Ended up with my current character (grandson of my first one) patrilineally married to the Queen of France, and now we've got a son who'll be heir to it all. Once he's king I'm excited to finally be able to steer cultural innovations.

Anyone know if its worth going into learning education for faster cultural innovations, or if its just fine with a mediocre ~10 stat? Really want to tackle primogeniture ASAP but because of the low learning of the past few French Kings we're still quite stuck in the High Middle Ages...

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I think there is a bit of RNG and luck involved in how well it goes, it kinda depends on how well it starts off and if you get some good luck and RNG in your favour at the start of the game... If you get a bad start you might as well restart if you don't wanna bang your head against the wall or just be a duke or count whole game.

But once you get the "ball rolling" it can snowball pretty quck in your favour.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
Tried to search for it but couldn't find anything, sorry if I missed it. My army won't move? No matter what I try to do, the army just stands there. What am I missing here?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean what is the problem with wars? It is same since CK2. Since the war mechanic is more then just occupy provinces.
War sucked in CK2 in my opinion as well if that makes any difference. I just don't like how crushingly restrictive the game is on what you can and can't do as well as the prices it makes you pay to do them.

- Want an alliance? Too bad. You can only do it through marriage.

- Want to go to war? Too bad. You have to have a claim.

- Want a claim? Too bad. Spend a large amount of time and gold.

- You have a claim? Now pay a large amount of Prestige to use it.

- Want to call in your allies? Now pay even MORE prestige.

And if you are a smaller duchy or county doing all of that can pretty much bankrupt you of what little prestige you have. And most of the time it's all for just a single small county that unless it's an impressive one does next to nothing to improve your monthly prestige gain or gold gain until you improve it. Which takes even more gold and time. So then once it's all said and done you have spent years of your characters life and most of their resources to accomplish a single small skirmish. And then to do it again you will have to sit and wait several more years to try again. Unless you get lucky with some prestige generating events or have a lifestyle that generates it faster.

It's just too costly. I don't like how expensive it is to get anything done when it comes to war. I don't mind paying for stuff don't get me wrong. I'm fine with paying for claims, allies and armies. However the current cost of all of it is just too damn high for my liking. That's why I'm on the lookout for either some cheat mods that will let me cheese easy gold/prestige or some mod that reduce the overall cost of things. That or I wish paradox would make the cost of such things based off of how much you generate per month. So if I'm only generating 1 Prestige per month the game charges me less than it would someone who is making 6 Prestige per month. Because when you're only making 1 or 2 Prestige per month having to pay 200-plus to press a single claim adds up very quickly.

Last edited:

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
Cant seem to find a good answer - Is there a "wrong holding type" penalty in this? Can I have a feudal vassal as a tribal government?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
War sucked in CK2 in my opinion as well if that makes any difference. I just don't like how crushingly restrictive the game is on what you can and can't do as well as the prices it makes you pay to do them.

- Want an alliance? Too bad. You can only do it through marriage.

- Want to go to war? Too bad. You have to have a claim.

- Want a claim? Too bad. Spend a large amount of time and gold.

- You have a claim? Now pay a large amount of Prestige to use it.

- Want to call in your allies? Now pay even MORE prestige.

And if you are a smaller duchy or county doing all of that can pretty much bankrupt you of what little prestige you have. And most of the time it's all for just a single small county that unless it's an impressive one does next to nothing to improve your monthly prestige gain or gold gain until you improve it. Which takes even more gold and time. So then once it's all said and done you have spent years of your characters life and most of their resources to accomplish a single small skirmish. And then to do it again you will have to sit and wait several more years to try again. Unless you get lucky with some prestige generating events or have a lifestyle that generates it faster.

It's just too costly. I don't like how expensive it is to get anything done when it comes to war. I don't mind paying for stuff don't get me wrong. I'm fine with paying for claims, allies and armies. However the current cost of all of it is just too damn high for my liking. That's why I'm on the lookout for either some cheat mods that will let me cheese easy gold/prestige or some mod that reduce the overall cost of things.

Yes it's very hard to wage war and so on when you are low on the totem pole and not yet king or higher. You typically get claims on areas if you make yourself king.

But like when I'm high king(emperor)now I have both thousands of prestige and high income with ridiculous manpower and have at least 50+ claims lol.

Getting there is a pain in the ass especially if you chose the 'wrong' starting character and get bad luck.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes it's very hard to wage war and so on when you are low on the totem pole and not yet king or higher. You typically get claims on areas if you make yourself king.

But like when I'm high king(emperor)now I have both thousands of prestige and high income with ridiculous manpower and have at least 50+ claims lol.

Getting there is a pain in the ass especially if you chose the 'wrong' starting character and get bad luck.
And that's my problem. I mainly play small counties or Duchys because I am not good enough or knowledgeable enough at the game yet to manage a proper kingdom like France or England. So I generally stick with small fries because they are easier to manage and a bit more focused. I can do just 2 or 3 things at a time rather than manage 10+ things at a time.

And that works out fine for literally everything but war. I can sabotage people just fine, sway king's and vassals, spy on people, seduce people, etc etc. But waging war is just a pain in the ass if you are anything smaller than a large profitable duchy.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
And that's my problem. I mainly play small counties or Duchys because I am not good enough or knowledgeable enough at the game yet to manage a proper kingdom like France or England. So I generally stick with small fries because they are easier to manage and a bit more focused. I can do just 2 or 3 things at a time rather than manage 10+ things at a time.

And that works out fine for literally everything but war. I can sabotage people just fine, sway king's and vassals, spy on people, seduce people, etc etc. But waging war is just a pain in the ass if you are anything smaller than a large profitable duchy.
You're not supposed to be able to roll over the map like Alexander the Great as a count. You're a small fry, as you said.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Its supposed to be a pain in the ass to wage war when you're that small. It makes the gameplay inherently different than when you're a big boy. You have to be both more careful and pursue different avenues to gaining power than just consistent warfare.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
crusader kings clicked into place better when I realised it's going to take more than one lifetime to unify Ireland which is, what, 12 counties?

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So with Sways being limited to one per turn and with limited seats on the council, how do you guys deal with Powerful Vassals? Is giving away titles a good appeasement tool without many serious consequences? What if you don't have enough titles?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i want to swap up my land holdings but dont know how to do it without pissing off my vassals lmao

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
crusader kings clicked into place better when I realised it's going to take more than one lifetime to unify Ireland which is, what, 12 counties?
Yup. When you come to realize the game is measured in decades not months is when you can really start to strategize. Your plans might not come to fruition for a long ass time, and you can't beat yourself up about it.

Helps that there's always interesting events happening to distract you.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't take that long. It took me 3 years to conquer all but four counties. Should be wrapped up in 2 more years, give or take - also leave Dublin for last, they have a pretty big army.

I was going fabricating claim by fabricating claim until I had enough to form the Kingdom of Ireland, but even then the gold restrictions were punishing. My king died of cancer while I was siegeing Leichster or whatever that bottom-right country is.

By the time I got around to only having one or two counties left they'd been snatched up by the big boys east of me :(

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going fabricating claim by fabricating claim until I had enough to form the Kingdom of Ireland, but even then the gold restrictions were punishing. My king died of cancer while I was siegeing Leichster or whatever that bottom-right country is.

By the time I got around to only having one or two counties left they'd been snatched up by the big boys east of me :(
Is this using the suggested Ireland start?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey it's been a minute since I looked at the world outside of my little corner of East Africa, I wonder what the rest of the world's getting up to."
unknown.png

Yeah some of that's gonna be a problem.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
playing the Tutorial, and I noticed that my vassals go to war against each other without me even getting a notification. is that right? is there a way for me to prevent this?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Munster yeah, though not with the tutorial gold bonus (I think?)

I'm new to CK, so there's probably a more efficient way I dont know about.
You do start with a few claims you can press. I did Desmond first and then pressed one of my courtiers claims in the North. Once you do that you can create a duchy. If you make some good alliances upfront you can speed up the wars and save money.

I fabricated a claim on Connacht but felt like they take too long to take everything.

Brand new to the game as well so I stumbled on some of it and the suggested tasks helped. Though it did try to get me into a war with England which I'm glad people here kept mentioning to make sure you know who you're going to war with.

Edit: Is it possible to go the intrigue route and pit people against each other?

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Just in case my earlier question was missed, is anyone playing on an ultrawide monitor? If so, how much does the extra real estate add to the experience? Thanks.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case my earlier question was missed, is anyone playing on an ultrawide monitor? If so, how much does the extra real estate add to the experience? Thanks.
I'm playing with ultrawide. Its quite nice but I think the game would be perfectly good on a normal monitor as well. Though I'd have to get out my old monitor to do a side by side since I'm really used to ultrawide now.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
After playing a little longer, I'm still enjoying it but still prefer 2. That's to be expected though considering how much I played it. Still getting the hang of everything on here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So with Sways being limited to one per turn and with limited seats on the council, how do you guys deal with Powerful Vassals? Is giving away titles a good appeasement tool without many serious consequences? What if you don't have enough titles?
I'm still trying to figure that out. When I was Salerno last night I had some guy demanding to be on the council, but his highest stat was a 7 in learning. What am I supposed to do with that?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
well i thought i could snatch the counties off scotland while they were busy getting trounced by everybody around them and and with france's backing but the french army fucked off into scotland while I was digging in and then scotland's prague allies turned up and kicked the shit out of me. lmao.

i probably could have clutched that out if i had more actively gone after scotland's war score, but there sure is alot of chasing armies around huh

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
How am I supposed to get enough gold to claim a kingdom? Still in the tutorial scenario. It seems everything that would increase my revenue will cost so much that it won't pay itself off for years, to the point where I might as well not buy it if I just want 500 gold ASAP.

Also, is there a benefit to creating duchy titles if I have the requirements (besides gold) to create the kingdom? It's pretty expensive to do that to and if I'm expected to pay for each duchy title and then pay for the kingdom title then I must be doing something wrong because there's no way I can afford all that any time soon.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Played a bit more today, I'm almost ruler of all Ireland now but I still haven't create the title. How do you got those 500 golds? I don't think I can raid (not that I know) so it's just a waiting game or try to invade more counties? Thanks!

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It's so satisfying to learn all the systems.
One of my early mistakes was granting a title to my sister that would make her duchy independent, which was okay until that sister died and the duchy fell into the hands of a rival house. I eventually figured out how to get enough tribal authority to revoke the title and take the land back. With all that land under my belt I was able to create a kingdom title, which if i understand correctly should really help my primary heir maintain control and keep the power fairly consolidated.

FaultyFork

Oct 28, 2017
I managed to make some extra gold by picking the stewardship perk that lets you demand money from people you have a hook on. With a decent spymaster and some luck you should discover a few secrets that can then be turned into hooks.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Still progressing through my first tutorial game after not being able to get into CK2. One of the first things I did after doing the tutorial part besides trying to centralize Ireland was to invite claimants to my court. One of those that showed up was Eadgar of Wessex, a man with average stats, but a pressed claim on the English throne. So I decided to try to make my first run about pressing that man's claim and winning. I gave him some land and made him my steward so he doesn't run from my court.

Since then he's somehow been doing everything in his power to become the ultimate warrior. I didn't notice for awhile, but when I declared war on Leinster and looked through my knights I saw that due to traits and temporary modifiers he was sitting at ~37~ prowess. Since then we've run over much of Ireland, and in every battle he kills scores of men and almost always at least one opposing knight, and I've never seen him wounded. We became friends one night at a feast and a few days later he converted to our culture. His wife was imprisoned for adultery, but fortunately not before they had a (I think?) legitimate son.

The game right now is as much about Eadgar claiming his throne - or, failing that, at least his son doing so - as it is about my dynasty.

This damned game man.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
EhCXCp2XYAEag6F

Well I slept with the Emperors wife...and then managed to gain my independence. I even got his opinion of me to 100%.
Eventually he decided...Holland? I want that. And just completely decimated me. So now I am this bizarre Holland

Oct 28, 2019
Yo wtf, my game doesn't save to the cloud anymore and there is no option to load local files? Had been playing a three hour session in Iron Man mode and saving to the cloud after which I had to work for a bit. Came back and when I clicked Resume in the launcher my save was from three hours back. What the fuck. Thought it was because the Xbox app had tried to update CK while I was playing which failed. Anyway, thought fuck it I'll just play the three hour old save and now it again didn't upload and there is an old save there, even though I checked the saves map and the save was locally written correctly and when I hover over the Resume button it shows the right king. When I click Resume it starts with the cloud save of hours back what the fuck? And there is no option in Load game to see local saves?

Game Pass version btw

Edit: Even running CK3 in airplane mode shows the cloud save... While the Resume button shows the right king... No option to load a local save?

Last edited:

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yo wtf, my game doesn't save to the cloud anymore and there is no option to load local files? Had been playing a three hour session in Iron Man mode and saving to the cloud after which I had to work for a bit. Came back and when I clicked Resume in the launcher my save was from three hours back. What the fuck. Thought it was because the Xbox app had tried to update CK while I was playing which failed. Anyway, thought fuck it I'll just play the three hour old save and now it again didn't upload and there is an old save there, even though I checked the saves map and the save was locally written correctly and when I hover over the Resume button it shows the right king. When I click Resume it starts with the cloud save of hours back what the fuck? And there is no option in Load game to see local saves?

Game Pass version btw

Edit: Even running CK3 in airplane mode shows the cloud save... While the Resume button shows the right king... No option to load a local save?
I can see all of my local saves from the main menu by clicking load. Try checking the box to show invalid saves and see if the local shows up there.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So im sure this was asked before but...i never managed to get into CK2, will this be easier to play?
I found stellaris rather easy to play

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry to repeat a question I had from last night but I didn't see a response so hoping maybe someone knows... I'm trying to play CK3 with the Steam controller and it works pretty well except I can't figure out how to zoom in/out in the map. I'm playing the Game Pass version so can't (or don't think I can...) use custom bindings or anything. Anyone figure this out? Thanks!