• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Despite my 500 hours in CK2 I'm still terrible at these games. I played the Easy campaign, conquered a bunch of territories and then it quickly went to shit when my ruler died. I think I wasn't paying attention to inheritance because I lost control of most of my kingdom.

yeah Ireland is gavelkind (I think?) So either put your other children in the priesthood or kill them.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta new to the franchise and playing it off Game Pass. I have a question about character traits. I see folks with traits like "Compassionate Absolver" and "Irrational Lackey" and I have no idea what it means in practice. Hovering over it doesn't provide me with an explanation. Any ideas where I should be looking for their meaning?

It's something generated based off of their three/four basic traits - like Zealous or Brave or whatever. It's just a way to get the shorthand without hovering over each of them individually.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found it on the main page, it wasn't showing up in 'recently added' or when I searched for it, weird.

Yeah, because it was added to the store as a preview/coming soon months ago, the system doesn't consider it 'recently added'. Hopefully they fix that for titles at some point. Can't explain the lack of finding it from a search though.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They really gotta add nudity to the settings. Just saw a streamer run into that issue. If you already started your game you seem to be f'ed.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Started a save in 867 as Leon next to Brittany, immediately got attacked in a holy war by England and Brittany. So that was quick game over.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not much on turn based, but I'm giving this a go. Gamepass is a blessing in that regard.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My god, it's so fucking good.

I do need to figure out the new mechanics exactly as I was running into some issues trying to play like I play CK2. First game as the Duke of Holland in 1066 came to a halt when France inherited Lower Lorraine and blocked all my expansion paths and the Matilda di Canossa game came to a halt when I figured out too late I had to change my laws and it turned out all of my titles not only got distributed under my kids, but the game also created new kingdoms for the kids that didn't get my main titles.

Guess I'll have to learn to change that law asap next time. I also lost an independence war due to two faction members also fighting each other lol. Gotta pay more attention to that.

I'm not much on turn based, but I'm giving this a go. Gamepass is a blessing in that regard.
Crusader Kings isn't turn-based, so you should be fine.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey my ancestor is still in this game and in the same exact place too except now he's the son of the Chancellor rather than being the son of the Mayor.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was never able to really wrap my head around the intricacies of the marriage system in this game. Does someone have a good link to a guide that explains it all?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I am baffled by the quality of this game, the UI is phenomenal and the overall polish is immensily impressive. I've never been a big fan of the series, mostly because of the lackluster presentation and daunting mechanics, but they really adressed that this time around. Looking forward to getting a better grasp of the game to really delve into some long campaigns similar to other strategy games.

Nice to see they already have Mod Support, there was some really impressive total makeovers for CK2 so I hope that continues to be the case

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Been a while since I played a CK2 campaign but just messing with the interface and early game decisions already feels like a warm blanket. Lots of smart tweaks and visual flair. Appreciate how much of the text can trigger additional description, makes it easier to learn (or relearn) on the fly. And it feels like they've really embraced the role playing aspects of the series, as they should. Still very early but Paradox may have nailed it out of the gate, which is no small feat.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
My god, it's so fucking good.

I do need to figure out the new mechanics exactly as I was running into some issues trying to play like I play CK2. First game as the Duke of Holland in 1066 came to a halt when France inherited Lower Lorraine and blocked all my expansion paths and the Matilda di Canossa game came to a halt when I figured out too late I had to change my laws and it turned out all of my titles not only got distributed under my kids, but the game also created new kingdoms for the kids that didn't get my main titles.

Guess I'll have to learn to change that law asap next time. I also lost an independence war due to two faction members also fighting each other lol. Gotta pay more attention to that.

Crusader Kings isn't turn-based, so you should be fine.
It is real time with pause if that makes you feel any better lol
Dang. I feel worse now lol. I'm dumb for sure. :(

moon jelly

Jun 24, 2020
United States
I picked Daura as my first run and I'm very happy that the rain dance mechanic is gone. Whenever I played tribals I would rush religion reformation to get different succession laws, so I am completely unprepared to deal with the forced gavelkind (partition) in this game. My realm is probably going to be a complete mess when my current ruler dies.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
There's no "follow me, you bastards" button so the ally stacks come with you in a war, right? These Mercia fuckers are driving me mad by not helping at all while I fight their wars.

Oct 25, 2017
I played for around 8 hours before it was time to take a dinner break. This game is absolutely fantastic. While there's definitely not as much content as 2 yet (as was to be expected), the polish and the general joy of playing is all there. I haven't had much opportunity to play around with some of the new stuff like splendor or faith customization since I'm still building my dynasty up, and I'll need more time to grasp exactly how cultural inspirations are going to feel over a long campaign, but they've done a bang up job here.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I saw a IGN's review of the game and that they gave it a 10 and then noticed it was on game pass. I'm definitely interested now. My question is, how difficult is it to get into the game? Is it hard to learn? It seems like one of those games you have to spend a lot of time with to understand how it works.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I saw a IGN's review of the game and that they gave it a 10 and then noticed it was on game pass. I'm definitely interested now. My question is, how difficult is it to get into the game? Is it hard to learn? It seems like one of those games you have to spend a lot of time with to understand how it works.

Wondering the same thing!

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering the same thing!
Its not that bad, especially with all the great tooltips in this game compared to its predecessor. Its definitely something you have to give a bit of time to get the grasp of, and you might fail utterly at first because you don't know exactly what to pay attention to, but id say its decently accessible compared to CK2. You do have to be willing to learn it though, there's a lot going on and you won't get it all at first glance.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played for around 8 hours before it was time to take a dinner break. This game is absolutely fantastic. While there's definitely not as much content as 2 yet (as was to be expected), the polish and the general joy of playing is all there. I haven't had much opportunity to play around with some of the new stuff like splendor or faith customization since I'm still building my dynasty up, and I'll need more time to grasp exactly how cultural inspirations are going to feel over a long campaign, but they've done a bang up job here.
Yeah, I agree. I miss a few things like antagonizing people and dueling them, but there's still so much new junk. Having a ton of fun in multiplayer with my friends right now as we attempt to run Scotland.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

the reviewer called it already his favorite game of all time.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone figured out how to move their realm capital? I do conquered Desmond as the petty king of Munster and I click into the barony of Tralee and there's no option to move capital.
I get that's not a great idea - I'm trying to learn mechanics.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone figured out how to move their realm capital? I do conquered Desmond as the petty king of Munster and I click into the barony of Tralee and there's no option to move capital.
I get that's not a great idea - I'm trying to learn mechanics.

This third icon next to the holding name.

42019d2da4878741b908376d2a3e7cdf.png

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone having issues with it crashing on Gamepass? It was completely fine this morning with no problems. But now it's crashing either when I reach the title screen or when I load a game.

Nov 7, 2017
So i have a 12 year old heir that I want dead so my new son Eivor can become my heir. How can you put your sons into the army?

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smallpox outbreak in my court infected one of my champions first, then one of my daughters, then me. Tried to save my daughter, failed. I was on deaths door and took a drastic action to save my life which worked and even cured me of small pox but left me disfigured. All of this during the middle of a war. Just insane my character is still around and kicking.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Smallpox outbreak in my court infected one of my champions first, then one of my daughters, then me. Tried to save my daughter, failed. I was on deaths door and took a drastic action to save my life which worked and even cured me of small pox but left me disfigured. All of this during the middle of a war. Just insane my character is still around and kicking.
My first character just bit the dust after 10 hours lmao. Smallpox and disfigured as well, I was surprised how high the success rate was on drastic treatments as it saved both me and my daughter, leaving us with those silver masks. Seems like having above novice physician is a pretty high guarantee of survival. Character managed to outlive three sons at 68 so now onto my granddaughter!

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
For a game this dense it's still fun to roleplay, matchmake, try things and fail, even when you don't have a full grasp of the mechanics or Medieval politics. It's also real time with pause, so you can always put things on hold or slow things down while learning. I do think watching gameplay of someone explaining what they're doing early on can help accelerate the learning curve greatly, moreso than a tutorial, as it did for me in CK2.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Another important question is how much do you enjoy learning game systems in general?

Say figuring out boss strats in Souls games or complex moves in fighters?

I've found with PDX titles, half the fun in peeling away layers of the onion discovering deeper and deeper layers of depth.

It's not like doing homework in the traditional sense. But it does ask a lot of the player nonetheless. It's more like a journey of discovery that gives you a great sense of appreciation for all the complexities and machinations in play. Realizing how much empowerment and choice the dizzying array of systems offer to those willing to learn them.

That whole learning curve thing being fun is why titles like CK, RimWorld, Factorio, Kerbal, Qud and more are among my favorites of all time.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really bad, but I sunk about 5ish hours in. I tried CK2, but bounced off super quickly because it felt too daunting at the time. 3 is a bit better, but I still often get lost in the minutia of whatever is happening. For real though the amount of depth in every single random character is boggling to me. Really neat as someone who had never really touched this genre with a 30 foot pole before.

Also, is it actually possible to keep relationships/other stuff secret to your grave? I get called out relatively quickly lmao.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the tutorial did an okay job of getting you in the pool so to speak. Like I've managed to do okay since they let me take control, but there are certain things I don't quite grasp, like how to raise fame. It seems like I have to be fame level three to form a kingdom, and I won't be close to that for a long time.

the game state is wild though. The norse have rampaged throughout England, and have claimed the whole of the island, save for what would become Wales. I allied with them, and together we've mostly been able to keep them at bay, and Wales has even managed to take some territory back now, with my help. I'm really enjoying that aspect of it, seeing how different the world can be.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Also, is it actually possible to keep relationships/other stuff secret to your grave? I get called out relatively quickly lmao.

I murdered several of my allies' dynasty members and died with them none-the-wiser, so it's possible. That being said, I also had a really high Intrigue skill with all the Schemer skills, so that probably makes it easier to keep secrets under wraps.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Its not that bad, especially with all the great tooltips in this game compared to its predecessor. Its definitely something you have to give a bit of time to get the grasp of, and you might fail utterly at first because you don't know exactly what to pay attention to, but id say its decently accessible compared to CK2. You do have to be willing to learn it though, there's a lot going on and you won't get it all at first glance.
I played through the tutorial that just kind of ended and now I have no clue what I should be doing lol

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Played for a couple hours. Spent most of the time trying to get used to the ui and whatnot. The tool tips are great when I need them. But they always pop up and it messes with my attention issues. I played very slowly because I was overwhelmed by how different the UI and everything was. I'm so used to how CK 2 looks that it took me aback.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Dammit. My Duke of Brittany was going mighty fine, every one in my court and all my vassals love me, i'm slowly eating petty kingdoms of england one after the other witout much resistance. Everything is going fine.

And then, all in the same ingame week, i got news that despite my wife loving me, she apparently love my Marshall more and thus my firstborn and heir might not be actually mine (wich tend to put some doubt on the other 4 kids) and the King of France think my duchy is in fact his and is declaring war on me.

Yep. Everything was going too well.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
When one of my allies requests assistance in a war, how do I know where to send support? I can't seem to find a way to have the map center on their territory, and I don't know all of these old names.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Went on pilgrimage, immediately got lost in the wilderness for 5 years because I refused to pay for directions.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the tutorial that just kind of ended and now I have no clue what I should be doing lol
Yeah the hardest thing is knowing 'What are even my possibilities? What can I even do? What are my goals?' For that I highly recommend watching youtube videos of people playing (not those dramatic entertainment videos like some of the prelease ones, but someone actually just playing through the game and explaining what they are aiming to achieve). It will help give you a sense of what the actual goals of the game can be and what you need to do & pay attention to to work towards them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Few more hours in, and it's definitely a lot easier than CK2 was, lol. My neighbors seem a lot less eager to jump me than they were in the same-start CK2 games I played. I can even holy war them without the entire region collapsing on my head. And unlike before, now when I finish blobbing out my immediate area I'll actually have enough troops to challenge the Fatmids, so I don't have to worry about that Sword of Damocles hanging over my head. Only headache is that because of my first ruler being a sexual dynamo and me being stuck with Gavelkind my internal borders are a mess. But eh, I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually.

Minor pro-tip, change the default tooltip setting. The regular one is kinda buggy, but if you go for the second option, you can lock the tooltips and examine the outcomes in much more depth.

Top wants right now: better portrait customization (real black hair at least), republic stuff, even moar decisions and events. Pilgrimages are pretty dull, even going on long ones I just get one event and then it's over.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is me right now. This is my first Crusader Kings for what it's worth. I think I like this but I'm not sure yet.

Apparently I can't start wars without a good reason and I have no idea how to do that. I tried befriending the neighboring rulers and I got one guy to like me (100 rating) but now I don't know what else to do with that guy. How do you use that to your advantage?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, this is me right now. This is my first Crusader Kings for what it's worth. I think I like this but I'm not sure yet.

Apparently I can't start wars without a good reason and I have no idea how to do that. I tried befriending the neighboring rulers and I got one guy to like me (100 rating) but now I don't know what else to do with that guy. How do you use that to your advantage?

Getting a neighbouring ruler to like has a few purposes: for example they're more likely to agree to marriages that benefit you more than them, and they'll be less inclined to attack or scheme against you (though this is trait dependent). Getting an alliance or at least minimising the risk of invasion from one direction lets you focus your efforts elsewhere.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
So how do I set agents for aggressive schemes? I want to murder some dude who really doesn't like me, and tooltip says agents can increase success chance. I think it mentioned agents can only be people in his court or people close to him, so how do I do that?