• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually have many battles in this game like say hearts of iron or is it mostly just trying to sleep with family members and stab people in the back (that's just what I'm going off from this thread). Serious question.
Depends on how your play style or your current ruler. High martial skill rulers probably want to fight anyone and everyone. There's also viking raiders, holy wars to fight etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually have many battles in this game like say hearts of iron or is it mostly just trying to sleep with family members and stab people in the back (that's just what I'm going off from this thread). Serious question.

There's plenty of war, although it's not as detailed as something like Hearts of Iron. But the amount of warfare is about on par with something like EU4, it's just that the non-warfare stuff is so much more detailed.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have some doubts about the new religious system. It seems great for the dynamism of possible heresies, but my first impression is that we lose a bit of flavor of having very distinct main religions with deeply different mechanic.

But maybe in the full game everything comes together nicely.
See, you say that, but with a couple exceptions, most of the CK2 religions kinda sucked. Sure, Catholicism was very different from Islam and Norse Paganism, but once you got through those 3 all the religions really started to blend together. I played a lot of Jewish rulers and most games there just wasn't much to *do*. Spend 50 gold every so often to celebrate Passover wooo.

So even if the big faiths lose a little distinctiveness under the new system I think it'll be made up for in how many options it gives everybody else.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's plenty of war, although it's not as detailed as something like Hearts of Iron. But the amount of warfare is about on par with something like EU4, it's just that the non-warfare stuff is so much more detailed.
Ah ok I tried EU4 the other day but kept having crashing issues with it. I'm looking for something like Hoi but set around this kind of time period, will still give this a shot seeing as I can try it for basically free.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Paradox has made an entire CK3 tutorial video series leading up to release, otherwise there are a bunch of YouTubers who already made in-depth CK3 video's.
Supposedly the in-game tutorial is much improved. Other than that, I believe quill18 (YT and Twitch) was planning to make a for beginner series but who knows when he will get around doing that. In the first hour of his stream yesterday he went through the UI and explained bits here and there.

Thanks both,

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently there are a few wrinkles to iron out still. That or you can be a sumo king. I'm kind of hoping for the latter to be honest lol

8dj52cjdcfk51.jpg

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've also specified a possible imperial system for Byzantium (saying they weren't satisfied with the CK2 iteration, and wanted to "do it right" at some point). They also mentioned wanting to expand some religious stuff - adding back in antipopes, letting religious councils change your tenets, so on.

And yeah, someone on the official forum noticed that the resolution of the map files doesn't quite line up with the actual size of the map we have, but leaves just enough room for some eastern expansion... so I do think China is on the menu.

n8xGe70.png

And if they end up with an imperial government for Byzantium I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to repurpose that for medieval China.

If they add Japan I'm set for life, can't wait to repel the Mongols on every side of the map.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I hope that isn't a wrinkle! Maybe just an obese guy with giant?

Also the wiki is live.
Maybe gigantism + gluttony trait? The characters with gigantism they showed were pretty big and barely fit in the screenshots.
I'm hoping that is the case. Because if so I will be doing an Intrigue based immortal Santa playthrough the moment I am able to do it.

"He knows when you've been sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been naughty or nice." 🎅

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I'm so hyped.

Actually more excited for this than Avengers and I'm a big comics fan

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm watching the livestream that Spiffing Brit did yesterday and one of the guys he is playing with is completely new to CK3 and watching him learn how the game works is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Brit just explained how taxes work and then he realized that it applies to his 3yr old son.

Friend - "MY SON PAYS ME TAXES????"

Brit - "Of course! You're his king!

Friend - "But he is 3yrs old!"

Brit - "He makes 1.5 gold a months! You can slap an income tax on that bad boy!"

Had to pause the video man lol

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the livestream that Spiffing Brit did yesterday and one of the guys he is playing with is completely new to CK and watching him learn how the game works is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Brit just explained how taxes work and then he realized that it applies to his 3yr old son.

Friend - "MY SON PAYS ME TAXES????"

Brit - "Of course! Your his king!

Friend - "But he is 3yrs old!"

Brit - "He makes 1.5 gold a months! You can slap an income tax on that bad boy!"

Had to pause the video man lol
From his youtube video:
xm6cjzdl67j51.png

Oct 25, 2017
Henrik talking about how he thinks playing as a vassal is a lot more fun compared to CK2 definitely has me excited.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Henrik talking about how he thinks playing as a vassal is a lot more fun compared to CK2 definitely has me excited.

Yeah, that's interesting. Talking about the bonus of being on the council - it was really more of a liability than anything else in CK2, outside of roleplay purposes, so that's cool to see.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I planned to play this on Game Pass until it got cheaper and decent mods started to pop out, but I'm so convinced this will be a worthy heir (heh) to CK2 I just got it on Gabeland.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think that's what I'll be doing. And then the mentioning of getting hooks on your liege that's helps you to upend the vassal contracts so that you can milk it in your favour has me like:

ImYhLCl.gif