• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well then the best I can put it is it is a pause-able real-time character focused game where you influence the fate of your dynasty over many generations. Quill right now is playing as a kid, but eventually that character will grow up die and you will play as his successor and so on. Toss in a bit of Game of Thrones with trying to grow your lands and fighting over titles and you have the gist of the game. I guess the very basic goal of the game is to continue your dynasty and not have it die off over the generations. After that it is up to you.

My personnal description for this game is : "medieval ruler simulator". As in you're not really controlling a country or a civilisation, you're just controlling one character that happen to be in command of said country / civilisation.

I think i once said : "it's historical fucked up The Sims". Wich is not that exagerated in the end.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Where is everyone thinking about starting? I'm telling myself that I will not go Ireland for the nth time but haven't really decided where I want to go yet.

Ireland (1066): King Murchad of Mumu.

I've started this scenario more times than I can count while learning the ropes in CK2.

I'm 100% starting there with CK3 so I can compare/contrast the two games from a (personal) historical perspective.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me this will be the first time I start a game without using the Ruler Designer. Maybe I will earn some achievements this time. Something I have never done in CK2 because I could never resist the temptation to make Almighty the Great.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
That reminds me this will be the first time I start a game without using the Ruler Designer. Maybe I will earn some achievements this time. Something I have never done in CK2 because I could never resist the temptation to make Almighty the Great.

We're really different players! I just don't want to play with the Ruler Designer because the biggest part of the fun for me is not knowing how things will end up, so I just random like 5-6 times and then blindly press play. Then I go with what the game gives me and go from there! Of course over time you learn how to create good heirs and play the game better, but the randomness is a big part of the fun I couldn't see myself play CK without!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh noes.

Your beloved pets get a death notification?

Guess I won't be naming any of my cats Smokie!

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Hearing a lot of raving reviews about accessibility for newcomers while not compromising on the depth of game play

I look forward to playing this tonight

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
No preload according to the discord :(

But it's only 8gb so should be able to play within the hour of it unlocking

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where you're from, but I see tomorrow at 18:00 CEST, normal Steam unlock time.

5PM tomorrow here, but here it says the 2nd

PbRz1QA.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have Steam killed.

Going to play it on GP first anyway, so doesn't really matter but weird.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Holy crap, two 10/10 games on Xbox Game Pass for PC in the span of a week, damn...

Really making me wanna get a PC at this point!

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Found out this is on Gamepass, so I'll give this type of game a shot. As someone who's completely new to CK, am I good going in completely fresh into CK3, or is there a primer or guide out there to familiarize myself with CK's concepts?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found out this is on Gamepass, so I'll give this type of game a shot. As someone who's completely new to CK, am I good going in completely fresh into CK3, or is there a primer or guide out there to familiarize myself with CK's concepts?

Paradox has a introduing CK3 series you could start with.

Wouldn't switching your region to New Zealand work?

Wondering this too.
World wide launch, so we all have to wait for the same time sadly.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting about IGN 's 10/10 review is Hafer says they have thousands of hours logged into CK2. So that sounds like the appraisal is coming from someone who is a decided expert on the franchise.

It will also be curious to see opinions from those who are experiencing the series for the first time with CK3, but I'm personally more interested to hear from those who already knew their stuff inside and out before this latest release.
Yeah, thats TJ Hafer, a regular on the Three Moves Ahead podcast - a hugely popular and long-running strategy podcast, if you don't know it. I guess they sensibly outsourced it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thats TJ Hafer, a regular on the Three Moves Ahead podcast - a hugely popular and long-running strategy podcast, if you don't know it. I guess they sensibly outsourced it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Yup. I'm subscribed to 3MA. Hope they can get Rob & Gita on the pod with TJ to talk CK3.

I was actually surprised to see Gita covering the review for Vice as I though it would be Rob by default, but I also know how much Gita loves DF so she's a good pick too.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Quill18 started his stream today by doing a QA/Tutorial for the CK3 which is probably immensely useful for newcomers. Starts at about 22 minutes in.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One aspect I'm really looking forward to is actually not having any DLC for a while. As happy as I generally am with the expansions, they absolutely make the game more complicated with each one. It's going to be nice going from the fully 'expansioned' CKII to a vanilla experience again. Even if some things will be missing here and there, the base game of CKIII clearly has so much more than the base game of CKII that I'm go to relish the time before another bunch of systems are added.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm subscribed to 3MA. Hope they can get Rob & Gita on the pod with TJ to talk CK3.

I was actually surprised to see Gita covering the review for Vice as I though it would be Rob by default, but I also know how much Gita loves DF so she's a good pick too.
I'm almost more excited for the inevitable 3MA episode than the game.

But the fact that my laptop likely won't play it and my desktop is acting up probably contributes to that, lol!

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I have only played CK2 a little, I enjoyed it but I was running into problems with it on my Linux pc at the time, but am definitely going to give this a solid try.

Would be alot of fun to Co-op this with some era members that are also new to this series.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on a 3570k with a 980ti. That's good enough for this game, right?

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Haven't really been paying attention to this game but looks interesting! I didn't really play enough of CK2 to know if I like it, got overwhelmed. But did enjoy HoI4. Do we know if this is more accessible to noobs like myself than CK2?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can you transfer your saves/progress between the MS Store/Gamepass version and the Steam version? I'll be playing the game on Gamepass before I buy it on Steam and I wouldn't want to lose my progress.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I waited all day, to realised we are only thr 31th still :(

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hopefully my patrilineal ancestor is there. He was always the son of the mayor in a town in Northern Spain in 1066.

I usually played as him by starting as one of the Iberian Kings, giving him a county, saving and loading back to play as my ancestor.

Idk if you can do the same here though or if I can only load back up as the character that I'm already playing as.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully my patrilineal ancestor is there. He was always the son of the mayor in a town in Northern Spain in 1066.

I usually played as him by starting as one of the Iberian Kings, giving him a county, saving and loading back to play as my ancestor.

Idk if you can do the same here though or if I can only load back up as the character that I'm already playing as.
Afaik it's even easier here. You can swap characters on the fly.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So the game doesn't unlock until tomorrow morning right? Because Metacritic seems to think the game unlocks in 5 hours.