• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to try it out. I've always preferred Total War as I like to actually fight the battles and it's a big part of the appeal for me but this seems like a good place to start and it's getting amazing reviews.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the steam friends list still has the name of who you're playing and a small bit about whats kinda going on. The last file I played in CK2 over the weekend, I got a ton of steam messages from friends with "Sultan Daddy's Favorite?" lol

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Looking forward to playing tomorrow and for 500 more hours before uninstalling the game as a measure of self-protection against lost nights and weekends.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to try it out. I've always preferred Total War as I like to actually fight the battles and it's a big part of the appeal for me but this seems like a good place to start and it's getting amazing reviews.
I'm in the same boat, and since it's on gamepass it's a nobrainer for me.This and 3k DLC in the same week is almost too much.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Will probably start out as a West African kingdom, always tried to get a Mali campaign in 2 off the ground to no avail. Worth another shot in 3.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Very interested. Seems to be fantastic, I've always been a big strategy fan especially 4x types. I enjoyed Knghts of Honor so this might be the logical next step

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know what time the game is supposed to unlock on game pass? Will it be the same time as the Steam version?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried countless times to understand CK2. Is this one any more beginner-friendly? I can see the UX looks more smooth, but not sure if actually more easily understood or just prettier.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I've tried countless times to understand CK2. Is this one any more beginner-friendly? I can see the UX looks more smooth, but not sure if actually more easily understood or just prettier.

Can pretty much guarantee it will be a smoother point of entry, while I haven't particularly enjoyed the launch versions of the last few PDX games, I can't deny that their tutorials are much improved.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Wait, are people expecting CK3 to be great experience Day 1? I mean, it's Paradox. HOI IV, Imperator, Stellaris... were all not great at release (one can argue still not great :P). Especially Imperator, that one was just a big WTF. I fully expect to wait a year to really play it. I mean, I'll tool around with it on GamePass, same as I am doing with Wasteland 3, but not expecting miracles here.

I still really, really want EU5 as that series is my favorite by far from Paradox. I'd take Steallaris 2 with some serious lessons learned or Victoria 3 (same on the lessons part) as well. CK3 should be great ... eventually, plus with Paradox's DLC policies, waiting is the only good option.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wait, are people expecting CK3 to be great experience Day 1? I mean, it's Paradox. HOI IV, Imperator, Stellaris... were all not great at release (one can argue still not great :P). Especially Imperator, that one was just a big WTF. I fully expect to wait a year to really play it. I mean, I'll tool around with it on GamePass, same as I am doing with Wasteland 3, but not expecting miracles here.

I still really, really want EU5 as that series is my favorite by far from Paradox. I'd take Steallaris 2 with some serious lessons learned or Victoria 3 (same on the lessons part) as well. CK3 should be great ... eventually, plus with Paradox's DLC policies, waiting is the only good option.

Glowing reviews at least.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'd love to try this game out on PC GamePass. I only have my work laptop. It's pretty decent, but it only has integrated graphics. I'm not very good with system specs, does anyone know if this laptop will run this game halfway decently?
UHD Graphics 620 - could be an issue.

Minimum: Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460 (1 GB), or AMD® Radeon™ R7 260X (2 GB) or AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970 (2 GB), or Intel® Iris Pro™ 580

You can probably try to play around with lowering settings ala LowSpecGamer, but unknown if it will work at all. If you have GamePass, can always try it out.

Oh, Geforce Now, if they add it. Paradox has been pretty good about getting their games on GeForce Now. That would be best experience by far and latency doesn't matter for Turn Based games.

Edit: Geforce Now will only work with Steam, EGS, Origin, Uplay, etc.. not MS Store games, so no GamePass.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Glowing reviews at least.
Yeah, there have been pretty good reviews for HOI IV and Stellaris come launch I think (too lazy to check). Basically I don't believe reviewers regarding reporting technical and gameplay bugs, especially in Paradox games. Could it be possible? Sure and I guess I'll find out later this week through GamePass :P.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
UHD Graphics 620 - could be an issue.

Minimum: Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460 (1 GB), or AMD® Radeon™ R7 260X (2 GB) or AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970 (2 GB), or Intel® Iris Pro™ 580

You can probably try to play around with lowering settings ala LowSpecGamer, but unknown if it will work at all. If you have GamePass, can always try it out.

Oh, Geforce Now, if they add it. Paradox has been pretty good about getting their games on GeForce Now. That would be best experience by far and latency doesn't matter for Turn Based games.

Edit: Geforce Now will only work with Steam, EGS, Origin, Uplay, etc.. not MS Store games, so no GamePass.
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot and see

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure there will be bugs and performance issues, but the previews and DDs have pretty clearly shown that there will be no shortage of content at release, and the core game play is going to be perfectly good since it's improving on what CK2 already has.

There was plenty of reason to be skeptical with Imperator, but I'm not seeing that here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, there have been pretty good reviews for HOI IV and Stellaris come launch I think (too lazy to check). Basically I don't believe reviewers regarding reporting technical and gameplay bugs, especially in Paradox games. Could it be possible? Sure and I guess I'll find out later this week through GamePass :P.

HoI4 I can't remember but I remember Stellaris being great at launch, massively improved now though.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
HoI4 I can't remember but I remember Stellaris being great at launch, massively improved now though.

Very much disagree, Stellaris was solid in terms of bugs (performance-wise the game did bog down a little later on) however it was incredibly barebones in content. Initial exploration was great but there was pretty much next to nothing to do once you hit the mid game.

Yep, I am more than willing to give it a shot and it is great to see such positive reviews but I will remain sceptical....after all Imperator apparently has a 78% opencritic score and that game was a mess.

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it is broken in fun ways and not in the "it crashes every five minutes" ways. Buggy and broken can still be entertaining unless it is the really bad kind of buggy and broken. It being lite on content might be a legit concern though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw that IGN gave this a 10/10. It looks interesting but I know nothing about the series - is it mechanically similar to Civilization?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw that IGN gave this a 10/10. It looks interesting but I know nothing about the series - is it mechanically similar to Civilization?

Not really. I can't think of another game that fits, so my advice would be to watch some videos on either it or CK2. Quill18 is doing a live stream on Twitch right now that I am currently watching. Might want to check it out if you can.

Oct 25, 2017

It's fairly different in that it features real historical starts (rather than each nation starting on equal footing like in Civ), is pausable real time compared to turn based, and is much more character focused.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I can't think of another game that fits, so my advice would be to watch some videos on either it or CK2. Quill18 is doing a live stream on Twitch right now that I am currently watching. Might want to check it out if you can.

Hah, I actually have his stream up right now on my second monitor as I work trying to figure out what kind of game this is. I typically like RTS and turn based strategy games but this looks a bit different from other games I've seen.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Is there UI scaling? Wasteland 3 has it and it's so welcome as I'd really like to play this 12' from a 65" TV so my wife and I can scheme together.
Also, anyone play with a goal of not expanding much in favor of other goals? I'm not heavily into conquering the world.

Oct 25, 2017
You can be both quick and a genius in this game going by quill's stream. Time to create an even smarter dynasty than in CK2.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be my CK game I've played. I found out I actually own CK2 but never played it xD, guess I got it in some humble bundle.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I actually have his stream up right now on my second monitor as I work trying to figure out what kind of game this is. I typically like RTS and turn based strategy games but this looks a bit different from other games I've seen.

Well then the best I can put it is it is a pause-able real-time character focused game where you influence the fate of your dynasty over many generations. Quill right now is playing as a kid, but eventually that character will grow up die and you will play as his successor and so on. Toss in a bit of Game of Thrones with trying to grow your lands and fighting over titles and you have the gist of the game. I guess the very basic goal of the game is to continue your dynasty and not have it die off over the generations. After that it is up to you.

CK3 seems to be more character focused so in the Quill's stream you can see many of the decisions are about the current character you are playing as. On top of that you have to try and build up your realm and prevent you current character from getting knifed from a close releative that wants your titles, or knife them first.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Where is everyone thinking about starting? I'm telling myself that I will not go Ireland for the nth time but haven't really decided where I want to go yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Where is everyone thinking about starting? I'm telling myself that I will not go Ireland for the nth time but haven't really decided where I want to go yet.

Thinking probably a pagan chief somewhere in 867 for my first start trying to reform the faith and see how that will work in CK3. After that, maybe a French vassal in 1066 or someone in Africa for my next game.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

I won't lie old Ireland is tempting me. Part of me wants to see if tutorial island stays intact in 1066. Though I am thinking I might also start as a lowly count in some vast realm and work my way up. Normally I start as an independent ruler so being on the bottom rung would be a change of pace.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Reviews sound great and I liked what I played of CK2.
It's installing on PC Gamepass right now, but am I right that while the game is "out" here in a few minutes, I won't be able to play on GP until tomorrow?
I can wait, just making sure.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure yet, Ireland was tempting for nostalgia but I think I want to do a more interesting start. I know the first game will be taking the time to adapt from CK2 so I don't want to do an 867 Norse playthrough (my favorite) until I get the hang of the game.

Deciding between an English or a French vassal in 1066.

Also, does anyone know if we're gonna get preload? I'm itching to play right when it releases...

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

One of my early on really successful games of CKII was with a start around Italy, so I'm really thinking of a start around there for CKIII.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018

First save I'm thinking something "easy" to get used to CK3 so probably somewhere in England. That or in Spain which is fun too.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Reading some of the reviews, there are major alliance AI issues, as well as bunch of bugs. I am also interested to see what was included out of the CK2 DLC content as obviously they can't include everything at start. Anyways, that IGN review 10/10 is as usual from IGN... a joke.

Anyways, we shall see tomorrow.

Edit: Going to try King of England before Norman invasion and see what happens!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017

The game needs some balance but it's truly a great experience now, without any patches. I'd say it's the best Day 1 version of any Paradox strategy yet.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Two key questions for me:

1) What are the chances that my new Macbook Air runs this AT ALL at well below Steam specs? i5 8GB RAM 1.5GB Intel graphics card. Has this been tested anywhere? I remember Paradox has overestimated their minimums in the past

2) Relatedly, any news on day 1 Geforce Now or a timeline for Geforce Now?

I'm wondering this too, but the Steam minimum specs for Mac seem ridiculous compared to the Windows ones. Under windows minimum is 4GB RAM, on Mac its 16GB RAM?! I wonder if this is just a mistake.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lol

CYOK1Vg.png