• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
I thought it's just a heavy opinion penalty, since there are no strict rules under the different religion icons in my version. I do think I read a strict rule somewhere but can't quite remember. Though, even without a formal alliance you could get CBs on the same player and attack at the same time. Sounds mean, but vs a dominating player it should be ok.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Well, it seems the picking round is dying... If I may skip the row just to kickstart the whole thing, I choose the Duchy of Milan.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Uzzy, something came up and I won't have as much time as I thought I'd have in the coming weeks. I'd really would have liked to play but I think it's better to drop out than to be unreliable. Sorry for doing this on short notice. John Dunbar wants in and could take my spot. I would recommend to pick another starting point, though.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think Uzzy has no problem with people joining in mid game, this is more about having good fun and murdering each other descendants, so you can still join whenever you have the time Manyo

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am completely torn between playing an Iranian character (very fun and to help the only player in the muslim world), a Romuva Character (to keep pagans alive and maybe even reforming the religion to kick your christian asses), and with my current choice, somebody close enough to interact with most of the players.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
We're starting tomorrow? Nice!

John Dunbar maybe pick a count in Ireland, apparently it's a pretty safe starting point.

Also it's close to me, so we can have wars where we both completely fail!

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
I think Uzzy has no problem with people joining in mid game, this is more about having good fun and murdering each other descendants, so you can still join whenever you have the time Manyo

What about leaving mid game and my powerful AI empire destroys everyone when iam not there? If noone is afraid of that I'll be there. ;)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What about leaving mid game and my powerful AI empire destroys everyone when iam not there? If noone is afraid of that I'll be there. ;)
Powerful + AI is not something I would see together. It is always quite easy to end up breaking an AI empire in multiplayer because you can coordinate assessinations / revolts quite easily.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I won't be able to start the session tonight as I comp forgot about my brother in laws birthday today. Might be going out for a meal.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can't play today either, so it's cool for me if we delay until wednesday or next sunday.

would also give me time to watch some tutorial. my two hours of experience two years ago probably won't get me too far.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
And here I am, ready to sleep with everyone's wives!

But postponing is okay, shall we do Sunday so we start with the full two hours?

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
I can be there tonight. Are you posting host infos on Discord? Because then I need another invite. I didn't realize the key from the pc thread only works a limited time.

Earl Cenfus of Hull - In The Beginning - 936 to 955
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Of course

Two counties, Leeds and Hull. My direct liege the King of England. He created a Duchy at the start of the game, and gave it to his heir. So that's good I suppose. I decided to go for the Business focus, mostly because I didn't know what it did and figured it sounded interesting. Turns out it gave me lots of money and made Hull the most prosperous province in England (59.7 tax income to London's 55.1.) So that was nice! I also made a large garden and friends with a Finnish Chief, so that was all good.

I got my son married off and promptly ended up seducing his wife, my daughter in law, impregnating her twice! He challenged me to a duel over it but I was like 'nah, you're good' after seeing his personal combat score, then continued the affair. Good to be the Earl.

The County of Yorkdale was where the real action was though. I tried all game to fabricate a claim on it, but while waiting on that I decided to have some fun with the Yorkdale family. I plotted to kill the head, and had him ambushed by bandits. That was one. Though as my involvement with the plot became known, his son was rather pissed at me. So I launched a rivalry war against him, crushed his armies and imprisoned him. (My liege was like 'cut that war out', but I had a favour with him and was like 'nah') I realised he couldn't pay the ransom, so I had him put on the rack instead. He took this badly, and upon being released he challenged me to a duel. Which I accepted this time, given he was at -25 combat score. I won, of course, and had the option to kill him or take his leg off. I chose the latter, though he died shortly afterwards anyway.

So now his son, all of age 4, was in charge, and pissed at me too for some reason. I couldn't have that, so plotted to kill him. It took 3 years, but when he turned 7 and went out hunting for the first time, he didn't come back. I then had the next two in line thrown off the castle walls. 5 family members down, only one left, Countess Eadhburh. Same plot, same plotters, but noooo, this time she dodged the assassin (maybe planning to throw a third child off the castle walls wasn't the smartest idea?). So annoying.

I changed tactics, trying to get the Pope to grant me a claim on her lands, sending him the Finger of St John. But in in the time it took me to deliver it, Countess Eadhburh gained the 'charitable' trait, which nullified the relation boost from giving the Pope the Finger. Grrh.

Thankfully, shortly afterwards I managed to fabricate a claim. I launched my armies at the province, quickly taking it and giving it to my eldest son. Who hates me for some reason. Anyway, I killed 5 of Countess Eadhburh's family members (she's the only surviving member) then took her county. I fully expect her to train to be a master assassin and come after me.

Also, most importantly, I'm a goddamn silver fox.

J2XKmoK.jpg

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Holland - AAR
This is the Chronicle of House Gerulfing, rulers of the Dutch, in which is contained the record of its yearly fortunes, glories and difficulties.

Waltger Gerulfing - Duke of West-Frisia (896 - 941)
We begin our tale with Count Waltger, brother of Duke Dirk I of West-Frisia. In 936 AD, our count was 70 years old and decided he wanted more. His brother had been on the throne too long and his son, the future Duke Dirk II of West-Frisia, was incompetent. Rumor has it that Waltger started a plot to murder Dirk, son of Dirk, in a plot to become the second in line. Eventually Duke Dirk II died childless after a meal in October 941, finally raising the 76 year old Count Waltger to Duke of West-Frisia and Charmavia. His rule was rather shortly lived unfortunately, as he died a natural death four days later, passing his titles along to his sons Radbod and the 2-years old Gerulf.

Radbod Gerulfing - Duke of Holland (941 - 954)
When Duke Radbod became duke of West-Frisia, he immediately instituted a rule that from now on the duchy of West-Frisia would no longer be called that. Instead, the West-Frisia would be known as 'Holland' and the capital of Teisterbant would adopt this name as well. Radbod started his rule with a war against his baby brother. The franctured lands of the Dutch would soon become one again. After that, Radbod looked towards the counties of Zeeland and Ostfriesland. Long had these rightfully Dutch counties been in the hands of the Germans and Radbod saw an opportunity. First, however, the Duke had to deal with the rebellious Count of Hamaland. After a hard war, which ended in a white peace, he finally was able to snag the count and imprison him. For his crimes against the realm, Radbod took one of his counties for his own. Later, the rebellious count was hung in public in the capital to serve as a warning.

The county of Ostfriesland was next and after a quick war against the Duke of Angria, he got the county safe and sound in Dutch hands. Zeeland was slightly more difficult, as that was ruled by Radbod's liege, King Otto of Germany. Unfortunately King Otto died of mysterious circumstances, something Duke Radbod definitely did not have anything to do with and the county of Zeeland slipped into the hands of the Duke of Saxony, who was promptly defeated by the rich Radbod. With that, Radbod had consolidated the Dutch counties. In the meantime, Gerulf, brother of Duke Radbod, was viciously slain by Radbod's wife at the tender age of 13 and thus his lands passed on to the Duke was well.

Aside from the consolidation of the Dutch lands, Radbod's reign will be known for his grand parties. Radbod was a superb socializer and was well-liked all through the German realm for his lavish parties and good spirit. In his later years, Radbod joined the Benedictines and followed the faith closely. Who knows, maybe the pious Radbod could even be proclaimed a Saint, since he certainly lived a pious life.

Filips Gerulfing - Duke of Holland (954 - )
In 954 Radbod peacefully died in his bed, leaving the realm to his 12-year old son Filips. His tale remains unwritten.

Map of the duchy of Holland (955 AD)
DmNibjF.jpg

Last edited:

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Finding ourselves within the Sultanate of Africa, surrounded by 4 powerful infidel kingdoms/empires we didn't want to lose any time and went straight into war with our neighbor, the sheikh of Setif. Despite ~50 soldiers less we won the first battle. On the brink of a perfect start our target suddenly became part of the biggest emirate in the sultanate. No other choice left but to White Peace out of the war.
After this our liege, the Emir of Tunis, controlled all the remaining sheikdoms himself. In desperation we laid claim on a small county on the west coast of Sardinia and took it in a heartbeat.

Bloodlust lead us right into war with yet another county on this beautiful island. Again we were winning but our deceitful liege started a war on our target himself. Our target immediately bent the knee to our liege. This betrayal was too much for Sheikh Mukhtar to handle and multiple sicknesses finally meant the end for him. Knowing only war, he didn't know how to protect himself from epidemics, how to choose a good physician, or even that he needs to visit that damn physician during times of illness.

Now it was all up to his two little boys. It took one of them years to finally gain the faith to take the county that was once meant for his father.
Our liege didn't like that one bit and is currently trying to steal it away from us for a second time. But he isn't the only one. The Kingdom of Italy, now controlling most of Sardinia will surely make a move for that precious land the first chance they get.

But the boy became a man. He needs to find another wife and go to war.
The newly risen Sultanate of Maghreb, close ally to our dynasty and faith, calls to take on the mighty Empire of Cordoba. Some say they double our troops but there is no alternative. Not if the Shia Islam faithful want a future in northern Afrika.

Four necessary offensive wars, epidemics, a Danish raid and 10.000 Byzantine troops on our doorstep at one point indicated this much. There won't be any time for hesitation or peace. Only war and murder.

This is a picture of Sheikh Mukhtar carrying out his one true passion during the prime of his life. He never lost a single battle. May he rest in peace.
ck2_1eijjc.png

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will drop out of the game since I can't make it tonight and Sunday is also in doubt. Have fun!

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm dropping out as well. I hate to quit something I've committed to, but not understanding what is happening or what to do is really tanking my enjoyment of the game. And spending 3,5 hours a week on something I don't enjoy is not really worth it.

Sorry people! Give me a heads up when EU4 is back on the menu.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Looks like we are down to 5 players then. Guess it's unlikely for more to show up at this point. You still want to keep it going? Personally i wouldn't mind playing with a low player count but the map is getting a little empty.

Geido if you would play as a duke you probably would have more fun since you got way more options and your current start is probably one of the worst ones in the game with little options to do something.
Totally understandable to not enjoy it when you don't have much experience with the game, though.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm for continuing, since I like the game regardless, but yeah, it's a bit like everyone is just playing their own single player games with such a low player count. Especially for you, Manyo, since you're so out of the way.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
I don't mind that. I wanted to try a single player campaign as a Muslim anyway. And trying all the other DLC improvements without having to buy them is nice, too.

But there's also a chance my last two characters die, then I'd just repick a Christian.
I'll join Discord later to see if you're hosting today.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Holland - AAR #2 (Assassin's Creed)
This is the Chronicle of House Gerulfing, rulers of the Dutch, in which is contained the record of its yearly fortunes, glories and difficulties.

Filips Gerulfing - Duke of Holland (954 - 982)
As soon as Duke Filips 'The Whisperer' Gerulfing ascended to the dukedom, rumors began to circulate about the true allegiance of Filips. Shadowy figures were spotted around Vlaardingen and the common folk swear they saw the young Duke kneeling on a rug at several times during the day. Soon, all around the German realm, prominent people began to die. First it was a count here and there, but soon dukes and even kings died of mysterious circumstances. Finally, the veil was lifted when in a daring raid on Constantinople, the Basileus, leader of the Eastern Roman Empire, dropped dead and the Duke Filips was spotted running away through the Forum. He was a member of the Hashashin, the most feared assassins order in the Western world!

Duke Filips' daring murder of the Basileus didn't go unnoticed by the Hashashin, who crowned Filips the new Grand Master of their order. Kings and queens alike fell to the power of Duke Filips, leader of the assassins. The most prominent kill was the King of Italy, who died by the hands of the assassins, which led to a massive revolt by the Duke of Milan to gain the kingdom for himself. Another impactful murder was when Filips was spotted in the capital of Arles, right after the mysterious death of the king, which led to the German vassal duke of Baden to gain the kingdom.

As a ruler, Filips ruled over a mostly peaceful Holland. The peace was brutally disrupted when the Jarl of Sweden invaded with his vikings to conquer the country of Ostfriesland, which they succeeded in. However, later when the Norse king turned Catholic and Duke Filips had control over vast armies of Assassins, he attacked again with the might of the entire Hashashin guild and the French king behind him. The country of Ostfriesland was regained and the Norse and Swedish were dealt a severe blow. In his time, Filips also fabricated a claim on Münster, which he planned to conquer after helping the Duke of Milan gaining the Italian kingship.

However, these plans ultimately failed, as Duke Filips Gerulfing, grand master of the Hashashins Guild, didn't pay attention to the rumours of a plot brewing in the German lands and was brutally murdered by a lowly German count. Surely the count couldn't have done this alone, but unfortunately history was not able to uncover the conspirators. Whoever they were, they struck down a legendary leader in his prime and he will be dearly missed.

Sjoerd Gerulfing - Duke of Holland (982 - )
At 30 years of age, Sjoerd Gerulfing, brother of Filips, took over the rank of duke. He helped further the Duke of Milan in his goal to conquer Italy. However, as victory was close, the Duke of Milan suddenly died annulling the war. Well, at least I got some money and prestige out of it. Now, one year in his reign, Duke Sjoerd, a master in stewardship, looks towards his own lands and makes his plans for the future...

Map of the Duchy of Holland, 983 AD
KVg9DCv.jpg

Last edited:
The House of Hull Part 2
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

The wonderful silver fox Cenfus had died during Wednesday's session, and I noticed the AI flipped back to gavelkind succession for some reason, meaning I had to spend a few years worrying about the collapse of my dynasty, but just managed to get seniority succession back before Earl Eadmaer died. It then fell to Aethelwine to lead the charge against my awful liege, the Duke of Deira, and after I arranged the mysterious death of the Duke (well, really it was gravity that killed him), I found myself regent of his son, who promptly died (nothing to do with me, honest), followed by being regent of his daughter, and the last heir to the Duchy. The Pope then granted me claims to the Duchy itself, and I invaded, swiftly conquering the lands and seizing the title for myself.

Finally, I was the Duke of Deira. Or as I was soon known, the Duke of York. Poor Aethelwine didn't live long to enjoy it though, and the title passed to his brother, Eadberht. I somehow ended up in a rivalry with the Duke of Northumbria to the north, and annoyingly we're equally matched in military terms, or else I'd press the claim one of my vassals has. So instead I just spent the time antagonising him. He's a master seducer, so I hatched a cunning plan to send him a courtesan who had syphilis, hoping he'd fall for the bait. Which he did! Success, he'd be embarrassed far and wide for that, and surely it wouldn't come back to haunt me. Indeed, in the heat of the celebrations my wife announced she was pregnant. And had syphilis too. But I was away, wasn't I?

lyYD2Uk.jpg

That goddamnsonofabitch will pay.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Hey y'all!

Duke of Milan here!

I'mma gonna write a quick recap of the last few episodes!

Very anticlimactic!

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
So here a little summary so far of the Counts, Dukes and Kings of Family Welf of Breisgau, which have high stats in Luck and cluelessness.

Starting of I couldn't find the character I wanted to play as, which I just checked is a difference between Multi and Singleplayer, but I started with the same two countys just had to rename some things.

It started out pretty normal, I conquered some neighbouring land and got up to five countys and got ready to challenge my liege, but the King of Germany then decided to gift me my own Duchy. In the process I lost my best counties, two going to one ov my vassals and one to my brother.

A few assassinations later I noticed I wasn't even in the line of succession of my vassal, so I stopped murdering his family and prepared for war. Since my vassal had better lands that wasn't so easy, but thanks to my murdering some I had about 200 more soldiers.

Last session war was declared and since we had about equal sized army's and I don't really know how to win wars in ck2 other then having more men I hired some mercenaries, which proved to be a good idea since my vassal also hired some mercenaries. The war took a while and I thought at times I was going to loose, but I narrowly made it and was back in direct control over most of my territory.

In the meantime I also became a part of the cult of assassins, invited by some duke from Holland. Since Duke Meinhard was quite old at this point I thought not much more would happen, but while voting for the King of Germany, I noticed most people where somehow voting for me.

Beeing a bit on the fence about becoming the King of Germany so fast, since I never played as a King before I wasn't really sure what to do, but meinhard ceased away before anything happened.

After that things went wild. Shortly after my son Friedrich took power he inherited the Kingdom of Arles, which I still don't know how that came to be.

Shortly after he became King, Friedrich already lost one eye in battle and became a drunkard because of it. And since a lot of the ins and outs of managing a Kingdom I don't understand yet, I hope it doesn't all come crashing down next session.

My Kingdom might be small, but it has a nice color and a thick font.

uwe1O7g.jpg

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
That Arles twist was incredible. I remember seeing your heir as the old king's heir and thinking "WHAAAAAT?"

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
You should have told me, I didn't pay attention at all to stuff like that :D

I still don't know how it happened, since my wife is from Northern Germany.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I might have played a role in your sudden ascent to king.

Well, you were already the heir, but I helped getting rid of that old king :p

Congrats though, you are our first king-level player character! I should just hurry up and get independence to form the Kingdom of Frisia.

Manyo

Dec 3, 2018
Not too much significant stuff happened for me in the last 2 sessions. Was blocked by my liege who had 5k troops at one point. But i got 2 more counties and I'm now independent from him. Hopefully my "king" doesn't put me right back into another emirate before i can get one for myself.
Did a lot of "side activities" and explored the differences from Muslims to Christians, though. And I now got 8 sons, counties in 3 different emirates and almost no decadence. So at least I should be pretty stable right now.