• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Well say goodbye to your Autumn and Winter. One of the finest RPGs/Grand Strategy Games ever is getting a sequel very soon.

Fourth Crusade me if old.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I've enjoyed every Paradox game on release, this is a friendly reminder that the game might be rough at launch. It's a trained expectation for fans at this point.

I'm still excited though! One step closer to Europa Universalis V also!

...would prefer Vicky 3 though

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I thought that the would be delayed because of the pandemic. Nice to see releasing so close

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass is the second best thing to happen this gen the first being the adaptive controller

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Buying a Paradox game at launch is never a great idea but considering how many hours I've put into 2 it's sure tempting...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible month for Game Pass (I know we've got a while to go yet, I'm just getting in early)

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it won't need 6 months to be playable

they should have learnt their lesson after the Imperator Rome debacle

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting quote from the Steam FAQ. Looks like they're going with larger/more expensive expansions than other Paradox games with smaller content packs around specific themes in between.

Question 7: What kind of content can we expect post-launch?

Our DLCs will be split between Flavor Packs and Major Expansions.

-
Flavor Packs - SRP $6.99
: in-game content focused on a theme or a region.

-
Major Expansions - SRP $29.99
: larger, meatier expansions with content and mechanics to expand and enrich your experience.

-
Free Updates
: As usual, each Major Expansion will be accompanied by a free update that will provide new features, fixes and changes to improve our players' experience.

If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio games, you surely have realized that we will start with a
Major Expansion for CK3
at a slightly
higher price point
than those of our previous titles. This is due to the fact that
we want to spend more time on our CK3 expansions and deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content and well-enhanced mechanics

In-between the Major Expansions, smaller Flavor Packs
will be released to add some spice to themes and specific regions of the world and give everyone something to spend your time with.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting quote from the Steam FAQ. Looks like they're going with larger/more expensive expansions than other Paradox games with smaller content packs around specific themes in between.
It seems to be the new path done by EU4 (and Imperator and Stellaris).
I quite like it although in most cases the Flavor Packs are grossly expensive and tend to break the game balance.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Major expansions like The Emperor update for EU4 hopefully

flavour packs are always shit and overpriced

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Major expansions like The Emperor update for EU4 hopefully

flavour packs are always shit and overpriced
The only thing I want is for them to make some of the core changes to the game done in Big Expansions more core of the game to avoid the problem with feature blob EU4 has, where there are a ton of good ideas half way done because they were created for a DLC and later on abandoned.
I know they promised lately they will be doing like Stellaris, were the new additions are core parts that get balanced and improved through new patches, and that they said that CK3 will be similar but still... not trusting them too much.

Awesome!
Does anyone know how Paradox treats DLC on Game Pass? Do you have all of the DLCs?
Base game. You need to buy DLC.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
all the Paradox expansion and new game releasedated are a joy.
Now we just need the announcement of vicky 3.

So Rule Britannicas, then Emperor type expansions.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It seems to be the new path done by EU4 (and Imperator and Stellaris).
I quite like it although in most cases the Flavor Packs are grossly expensive and tend to break the game balance.

Even within that though this might be different just because of the size? Emperor has been in development a long time and is what, $20? These will be $30.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Even within that though this might be different just because of the size? Emperor has been in development a long time and is what, $20? These will be $30.
I think they are just raising the price. Emperor is basically a "I am sorry" DLC after several fuck-ups to the communnity (and probably an end-cycle DLC such as CK2s "Holy Fury") so they are putting everything on it without caring so much for the price (as a fuck ton of people will buy it).
Although I expect more expansions that are high quality, as they seemed to realize they make more money with them even if they take longer than worse ones, as people will buy them en masse.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Emperor is 20$ because EU4 expansions are at that price.
Its way bigger than usual and has been in development for way longer, so if they had a blank slate(as they have with CK3) it would defnintively cost more.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
CKIII on Gamepass is my attempt to get into this part of the Paradox Universe properly. LET'S DO IIIIT.

p.s. Victoria III plz, I want a CK-EU-Viccy save.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that's a bummer. I don't think I'm going to buy up DLCs on the Windows Store/Xbox platform, so it makes this a while lot less sweet :(
Its a good way to try the game and see if you like it, taking into account the steep learning curve. Then you can buy it on GoG / Steam.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
A carrot without a stick. No one would really care what Epic did if they still let the games go on Steam at same time.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder of they will add the subscription service to this as well

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that's a bummer. I don't think I'm going to buy up DLCs on the Windows Store/Xbox platform, so it makes this a while lot less sweet :(
You can try the game out at launch and then get the Royal Edition (includes season pass) when it goes on a Steam sale later for like 50% off.

I also wouldn't buy any DLC off Microsoft because of the folder locks that prevent modding. Paradox games tend to get modding communities. Makes the GP version quite a lot less sweet.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
You can try the game out at launch and then get the Royal Edition (includes season pass) when it goes on a Steam sale later for like 50% off.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. I already own all other PDX games on Steam, so this is the first one I'll actually try first on XGP, it's just a bummer to know I would still need to get it on Steam when the DLCs start hitting.
I wish Paradox would just launch their own subscription service and make this whole thing easier, I'd be there day 1.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, larger/meatier expansions at a higher price are here to stay. There was serious fanbase burnout on the constant churn of rushed expansions CK2 and EU4 (And initially HoI4) were getting a few years ago culminating in a rather sizable Review Bomb - Stellaris's blank slate provided them a fresh start to experiment with cooking expansions longer and putting more work into them, and judging by the way they've stated CK3's GaaS model as is, I'd say the experiment worked out.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think they are just raising the price. Emperor is basically a "I am sorry" DLC after several fuck-ups to the communnity (and probably an end-cycle DLC such as CK2s "Holy Fury") so they are putting everything on it without caring so much for the price (as a fuck ton of people will buy it).
Although I expect more expansions that are high quality, as they seemed to realize they make more money with them even if they take longer than worse ones, as people will buy them en masse.

I guess we'll see. I hope that because they specifically says they want to take longer to make bigger/better expansions that'll actually be the case.

That said, all of my favorite Stellaris DLC is the smaller/cheaper story packs anyway.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Hands-on preview: Crusader Kings 3 is the RPG that will suck you into grand strategy (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
Crusader Kings 3 is coming on September 1st, and after having access to an early build for a few days, I'm seriously impatient to get back to scheming, disinheriting, and declaring myself the new pope. It's got that terrible magic that leads to all-day-and-half-the-night sessions, and that's largely because, secretly, it's two games at once. It's a strategy game, obviously. But it's also a roleplaying game, and a really good one at that. So was 2012's Crusader Kings 2, of course. But developers Paradox have been shrewd in identifying what made that weird hybrid work as it evolved through fifteen expansions, and have put it front and centre in CK3 from day one.

As it stands, CK3 is one of the few RPGs I've played that genuinely compelled me to try thinking like my character would, rather than just pushing for optimal outcomes. And it swiftly achieved what CK2 only managed at its best, in making me feel more invested in my pretend family of medieval gits, than I did in the nation they were ruling. And on top of all that, CK3 simply does a much better job of explaining itself than most of Paradox's historical titles do. I think it'll succeed in bringing previously reticent newcomers into the subgenre, but not by sacrificing complexity or depth. It is, quite straightforwardly, a well-designed game.