• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
OK, fair enough 😸

I think it's great that there are people that want to do stuff (and also sad there's so many who don't). Just as long as everyone understands that the only real solutions is for workers to organise.

That's the thing isn't it? Like people want change to happen, which is good and justified, but as we've all seen over and over again... boycotts never work. And in the few cases they have the studio will likely justify the loss of sales not as: "Customers value how we treat our workers and we will strive to do better" and simply go: "Oh, I guess we didn't try hard enough."

Everyone has heard the line: "Vote with your wallet" and after hearing that over and over, people would naturally begin to assume it's that easy. Just don't buy something and they will listen. But that couldn't be further from the truth because for every person who legit wants to boycott (and not someone just taking advantage of the situation), there is 10 who don't care.

So the best thing people (those on the outside) is to keep the conversation going. Don't let up. Having Gaming journalist signal boosting stories about Crunch. Ask the developer and the publisher the hard questions. Support the few Gaming Unions that exist to expand their reach/influence.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that some people care but this isn't an issue that consumers can help with, if developers want better pay/working conditions then that's something they either have to fight for themselves or hope that legislation is passed. Boycotting their games is the worst thing you could do, if a developer creates games that sell alot of copies then they have more leverage in negotiations than a developer who's games fail.

The best thing you can do for game developers is vote for politicians who promise better workers rights.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Did you not read the staff post?
Yeah, did I troll? Saying I wanna buy the game is trolling? I'm interested in this game because I loved the first one and I'm looking forward to see what direction take the second episode, what became the relationship between Joel and Ellie.
About the part saying it's hypocrit, it's not "trolling", it's being factual, I don't mean it about the op directly (I don't know him/her) but I can see plenty of people boycoting the game and being hypocrits for the reasons I gave.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, did I troll? Saying I wanna buy the game is trolling? I'm interested in this game because I loved the first one and I'm looking forward to see what direction take the second episode, what became the relationship between Joel and Ellie.
About the part saying it's hypocrit, it's not "trolling", it's being factual, I don't mean it about the op directly (I don't know him/her) but I can see plenty of people boycoting the game and being hypocrits for the reasons I gave.

Referring to iPhone and Nike was absolutely whataboutism.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Everyone has heard the line: "Vote with your wallet" and after hearing that over and over, people would naturally begin to assume it's that easy. Just don't buy something and they will listen. But that couldn't be further from the truth because for every person who legit wants to boycott (and not someone just taking advantage of the situation), there is 10 who don't care.

I'm pretty sure everyone who genuinely want to boycott know that in the AAA market with games which sold over 10 millions copy is not gonna change anything really, I think people just feel the need to do something for the matter which is totally fine.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
It's good that some people care but this isn't an issue that consumers can help with, if developers want better pay/working conditions then that's something they either have to fight for themselves or hope that legislation is passed. Boycotting their games is the worst thing you could do, if a developer creates games that sell alot of copies then they have more leverage in negotiations than a developer who's games fail.

The best thing you can do for game developers is vote for politicians who promise better workers rights.
Oh I'm sure all ND needs is another hit to have better leverage during negotiations.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
After the kotaku article and the recent developer testimonials on Twitter detailing the work environment at Naughty Dog studios I can not in good conscenince support their toxic work practices.

No product, no matter how great, is worth sacrificing worker health and well being.

It is clear that things need to change in much of the industryin regards to crunch culture and so I will be carefully considering where my money is spent in order to support developers that do not rely oncrunch and avoid supporting ones who do.

Last of Us 2 will be the first of many games I am sure I will need to boycott. This will be my main deciding factor in purchasing games going forward.

If you, like me, see this as unacceptable I urge you to join me in not supporting this practice with your money.

#CrunchNoMore

please feel free to post studios and games that we know were not made with crunch so we know what we can support. I will do my best to update the OP with the names of studios that are safe to support

the following are studios we know do not rely on crunch:

- Insomniac Games
- Rare
- Valve
- Media Molecule
- Bithell Games
- DICE
- Klei Entertainment
- Iron Galaxy Studios
- Remedy (unconfirmed)

Studios/publishers who are making notable progress on crunch and actively working towards eliminating it:
- Bungie

Can you add a vote to your first post : will you buy TLOU2 ? :)

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me. This idea comes off as a punishment rather then support. Even with hard work environments they still have passion to make the best game possible. To say we're going to shit on their hard work in support of their well being is ridiculous. They don't crunch to punish their employees. They crunch to make the best game as possible and release it ASAP for us. Just seems odd to punish them for that.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm sure all ND needs is another hit to have better leverage during negotiations.

Well i guess you're right about one thing, if everyone boycotts their games then ND won't be working as much, they can have the same hours as Sony Cambridge and London Studios, and all the other countless developers that have been shut down because their games didn't sell.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty sure boycotts have worked many times in the past to those who say they don't work. I'm not saying I'm for or against it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
How about you all stop buying clothes that are made in China or Bangladesh. Stop buying mobile Phones that are produced by Foxconn. Don't buy any console since they're also mostly produced there.

The world is a shit place we live in, and i don't want to diminish Crunch. It's a shit practice that i hope will change.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Well i guess you're right about one thing, if everyone boycotts their games then ND won't be working as much, they can have the same hours as Sony Cambridge and London Studios, and all the other countless developers that have been shut down because their games didn't sell.
So your first argument doesn't hold water and you go right to close them down and all those jobs gone?
I get it, you like your entertainment. I like my entertainment too. But there has to be a happy median for work for these people. Clearly selling multiple giant hits in a row has done shit for their negotiating power. TLOU2 is going to be a hit no matter what. If selling less gets a point across to Sony or whoever runs ND, then I'm all for it.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
I would like to address those who are saying "what about other working issues in other places", it is not a very strong argument. Think of it like a vegetarian, you can't exactly go after every bad industry/company, however the answer is not to just consume every product made by exploitative practices, but doing small bits in places you feel you can.

I don't boycott games much personally, but lately I have been thinking I should with stories like this. There are a lot of games I just don't need to pick up, and it won't hurt the company any, TLOU 2 will be very successful, but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing to personally try to be anti-crunch in pretty much the only way a consumer can be.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This boycott might not help how things are done in ND studios but i may help some get rid of their FOMO impulse, hopefully (but i am not optimistic) it might do both.
You can help making working conditions better and the game will be always out there for you to experience.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly selling multiple giant hits in a row has done shit for their negotiating power.

What are you basing this off of? Do you think all of Sony's studios have the same pay, benefits, hours, creative freedom, deadlines, etc? You're literally arguing that success isn't useful in negotiations, you're arguing against a factual statement.

You're also misunderstanding what side im on here, i think crunch is not only morally wrong, but impractical as well. As Jason noted in the article, there's a bunch of devs getting burned out and not only leaving Naughty Dog, but leaving the entire games industry as well. Why would i want that as a consumer of video games? It's short term gain at the cost of long term sustainability.

There's not always going to be young talented devs for studios to take advantage of, and when that supply runs out the entire AAA market is going to be in serious trouble. We've seen AAA developers make extremely profitable games without crunch, we know it can be done. All i'm saying is that there's nothing that we can do about it (other than voting). This is something the developers will have to fight for themselves.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the boycott has some sort of effect on it no matter how small.

I was never planning on buying the game, so I don't know if I count as part of the boycott, but I just wanted to express support for people wanting to end crunch. It won't be easy, it won't be instantaneous, and it won't automatically happen because of this boycott, but any small step helps. Don't have much more to add aside from that.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I work in a totally different industry where crunch is daily routine.
I would be even more depressed if consumers wouldn't buy the products after all my efforts.

so for this reason, i will not join your boycott or any other from the past or future. Day 1 for me!

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I like the thought that a movement like this could gain traction, especially in the twilight hours of the current generation. It reminds me of #PS4noDRM, I think the vacuum between generations, companies ambition to shape their image for the coming generation means that they're more susceptible than ever to a good campaign.

Crunch is not good, but as others have pointed out, it's a matter of where you draw lines. Do I pay the extra 20% for sustainable and fairly produced clothing, in the name of reducing sweat shops (a FAR more inhumane working practice)? No I don't. And I don't want to commit to this movement either, I would like to have the end product.

In that sense, and on many issues globally, that is why political and governmental involvement is required. Always. These things need to change on a legislative level.

Good for anyone who does boycott it, it's a worthy concept!

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder has anyone asked developers what they want to do, or want us to do?

Do the developers want you to boycott their game?

If they don't, why are you going against their wishes?

We already have a dev in here saying that boycotting will do nothing but hurt the developers you want to help.
Waypoint had an article about crunch back during RDR2'S thing where they spoke with numerous devs about this stuff. The majority consensus was to buy and enjoy the projects. The "don't boycott, it's not effective" thing was said.

www.vice.com

Game Developers Give Advice On How To Make Their Industry a Better Place

Between news about Telltale and Rockstar Games, there's reason to have some pause about buying some games, so we asked some developers what they think.

Just peep this article when most of the industry was on this late 2018. They, as they always do, did their research and actually spoke with devs.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not buying games based on crunch based culture is a good policy and also one I'd like to support. I buy mostly Japanese made games though and would like to know if there's any resources to get more insight on the culture or specific companies there? The only thing I can think of was that recent article on Animal Crossing being delayed to (in part) avoid crunch.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine how painful it must be to make $120k in one year. Truly a harrowing read.

So...

That was just an example for easy processing. I have never made $120k a year, even as a senior designer and team lead with a dozen developers underneath me.

On top of that, the entire point of that example is that a developer would only make that much if all the stars aligned to maximize your launch bonuses (if you even get a launch bonus). The base salary on that developer in the example is $60k a year. That's how much you'll actually make under most circumstances. The point was to highlight that even if you manage to have a successful campaign at 'punishing' a publisher for their business practices with boycotts or bad reviews, you can actually significantly impact the earning potential of the actual developers.

I honestly don't understand why this sort of "suffering but paid" bullshit isn't bannable. As if it's somehow OK to have ethically, morally and legally questionable working conditions as long as you make above some arbitrary amount of money. That's not a valid justification.

So let's talk about this concept: "You get paid for crunch."

Wrong. In the dozen or so times I have crunched for a project, I have never been properly compensated for said crunch. Developers are strung along with empty promises of huge bonuses, full time positions, future projects, promotions, or other benefits without getting anything in contractual writing. My contracts have never guaranteed anything beyond my salary, everything is based on hypotheticals and shifting variables - that companies will often push further based on the success of the project. If they promise the team will get X bonus if we sell Y units, and the game does amazingly well and sells gangbusters, suddenly you'll look at the documentation and magically Y is now Yx2. Or X is now X/2. And because this isn't a part of your actual contract, you can't really argue against it. The company gives you whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want, on their discretion.

And they usually fuck you over.

So, first off, your potential compensation is often denied entirely, dramatically reduced, or held until AFTER layoffs/'workforce reduction at the end of the project so they don't have to pay anything out to the majority of the team.

On top of that, the few times I have actually received the promised bonus for a successful launch - it was not 'proper' compensation. If I add up all the hours of overtime I worked and divided that by the amount my bonus ended up being I was working for .... about $3 an hour.

Cool.

Overall, developers are often not compensated - at all - for crunch. And even when they are, it's often at laughably low compensation for the actual amount of work. Yeah, that $10k bonus sounds nice... but when you realize you worked 80 hour weeks for a year and a half... you were actually making like $3.20 an hour for your overtime.

That said, I'd rather have something than nothing. So please don't boycott a game on my behalf when there's a slim, but potential, chance I might get a few schmeckles in compensation if you just buy whatever you want.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
The message here is that boycotts don't work this way, and that people are selective in what they boycott anyway.

What I believe these people are saying is this: the world is a tough place and we should constantly be working on improving it - but getting angry at one specific thing and boycotting a specific product in a sea of hardship does not improve this world. This thread will not make game development better. However, pushing for better laws, unionization, social media pressure - these things might.

After all the bans from the page where you wrote this I can say with confidence that most people aren't trying to say what you wrote.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
What really needs to be done is writing better worker rights laws - in a sense that would protect everyone being exploited, not just a subset of workers in an industry we all focus on. A boycott like this is attempting to control out comes by 'voting with your wallet,' In most cases it almost never works - and fact it's almost always based in the fantasy that the market is a good solution to all our ills in society. What we need to do - that isn't a temporary solution -is support political movements and candidates that support workers rights that prevent exploitation. Right now the bosses have all the power and that's what leads to work abuses like this.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That won't help, there are better ways to go about it. I will still buy the game to support their hard work (and enjoy it of course).

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Sign me up, joining the boycott. Its gotta start somewhere. I'll prolly just watch lirik play it on twitch.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch is incredibly bad, however let's say this works and no one buys the game, we then end up in a situation where layoffs become a real possibility (espcially if Sony do just throw money at Naughty Dog).

Unions would help with this, but developers seem to be dead against that too...

Game does well: only big guys benefit

Game does badly: only little guys hurt

How's that work?
Welcome to capitalism.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can admire the intention behind wanting to boycott the game.

As someone who works in the gaming industry, and has for a very long time, I can say that crunch mentality is a top down problem. It's upper management and producers that push those types of initiatives and mentalities.

While a boycott is super noble, the upper management isn't going to be affected like the lower level employees, who often rely on performance bonuses and other incentives for various reasons. I'll say that bonuses have definitely bailed me out of difficult financial times, and my fear is that low sales/scores for the game will do more harm to the lower level employees, as upper management decides that the low performance means they need to re-evaluate and restructure the financial side of the business, not the people side.

And believe me, this isn't just a Naughty Dog issue. Many, many companies are slaves to crunch mentality, so a large part of the problem is that laid off or displaced workers will be forced to look for work at other companies, and I can say that here in LA, many of the big companies still adhere to some level of crunch time, so their situation will remain the same at their new home, if they're lucky to find employment at another company (some companies have initiated hiring and traveling freezes until this corona virus situation is under control).

By no means am I saying don't boycott the game, because I think it's good for people to stand by their principles, I just urge exploring as many alternative ways to spread our disapproval of crunch time. The hashtag is great, and I hope that other publications run with this story, as well as the stories of other companies that suffer from this mentality. Even then, that's just one avenue of combating crunch time.

I have a personal stake in seeing this practice eradicated, even though I find myself at a company that doesn't have a crunch time mentality. But the reason why we don't is because our higher ups (the CEOs and producers), actively enforce a no crunch time policy. They've lived it, hate it, and don't want to perpetuate it. If it was just us employees raising a ruckus about it, I doubt it'd have been any different from the other companies I've worked at that would threaten our employment and livelihoods if we didn't participate in crunch time.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I won't be joining but I also most certainly won't be shitting up the thread with random whataboutisms as if they prove ANY point whatever, either...

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring the staff post
The main problem with this thread is that is poiting directly to a single game/developer.

That's not the way to present this problem or to try something to maybe fix it in any way.

This happens in every industry we know and must be changed in the near future but you should say this and talk about all companies.. when you just call out a single game/developer you sound like some kind of fanboy in my opinion.

We see all kind of people in this forums so if you are not a fanboy you should ask this thinking about all the people around the world suffering from this.. not just pointing at one single game.

PS: I'm buying the game 100%

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome to capitalism.
Welcome to corporate America. The little guys always suffer first.
This is literally how it works
It's an oversimplification but the reality is the little guys are being hurt regardless, while the big guys will indeed suffer if their game bombs.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The main problem with this thread is that is poiting directly to a single game/developer.

That's not the way to present this problem or to try something to maybe fix it in any way.

This happens in every industry we know and must be changed in the near future but you should say this and talk about all companies.. when you just call out a single game/developer you sound like some kind of fanboy in my opinion.

We see all kind of people in this forums so if you are not a fanboy you should ask this thinking about all the people around the world suffering from this.. not just pointing at one single game.

PS: I'm buying the game 100%
It is the most recent case and the reason OP is doing that for future games as well. Did you read the OP where he lists other companies that don't do crunch? If anything, your buthurt text shows who the fanboy is.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it people if you still want to buy the game that's fine but stop using mental gymnastics to justify it by putting down the people who do boycott it by saying they aren't doing enough.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It is the most recent case and the reason OP is doing that for future games as well. Did you read the OP where he lists other companies that don't do crunch? If anything, your buthurt text shows who the fanboy is.

My text is pretty clear.. this is a worldwide problem and is not right to just focus on one game/developer.

Say whatever you want but I'm really sure about my opinion and this thread is not going to fix the real problem here.

PS: I'm buying the game like I said before day 1

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As it was mentioned before, boycotting ends up hurting the devs that made so much sacrifices and if the game bombs they risk getting laid off or dont get a bonus from good sales.

Crunch culture need to end but boycotting is not the solution.

From my outside view of the events, i think the fight needs to start from the inside (devs reporting these cases openly) plus the help of the gaming media to report more about it.

Last edited:

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
More power to those who feel this is the appropriate action to take on behalf of over-worked developers.

I was gonna type up something more snarky and antagonistic but I feel like that's just me being annoyed (unfairly or not) at how some users can at times be pro-labor in the game industry and other times be impatient inconsiderate consumers (like whatever service/product their complaining about doesn't equally take a ton of effort, planning, and man hours to execute - complaining on behalf of X streaming service lol)