• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Hell even the argument that buying used = lost sale doesn't hold up.

"The real problem when you think about it brutally, if you look at just core gamer games, pre-owned has really killed core games," reflected Braben. "In some cases, it's killed them dead. I know publishers who have stopped games in development because most shops won't reorder stock after initial release, because they rely on the churn from the re-sales."

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be hard to boycott a quality game especially when it would cost $20 come Holiday next year...

Oct 26, 2017
Why did you cut off the rest of my post that directly addressed why the Lost sale isn't as large a factor. And why it doesn't send a message at all.

Of course I know about the opinions of the gaming industry, but you missed the point entirely by cutting off what I said and then giving me a copy paste of what two companies said.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So, ex-AAA dev here with some feedback for those that actually want to change crunch practices.

1) Almost everyone crunches.

Most studios, especially in AAA, have crunch. In fact, out of the four different publishers I have worked for, every single one expected ALL studios under them to crunch to hit milestones/deadlines. And studios oblige because you don't want to lose incentives, bonuses, funding, or support staff. The list of studios who don't crunch - the list of products that are made 'crunch-free' is going to be unbelievably small if you are looking at AAA products. So if you plan to boycott products that are made in toxic work environments - it's going to be the vast majority of games. That's just how the industry is and boycotting isn't going to solve that.

Oh, and side note: People lie. Or exaggerate. Or downplay. I have had other developers in my own studio during crunch claim to not be crunching because we were only working 60-70 hours a week. Because their last studio worked 80+ during crunch. So this isn't crunch. Because we're in some toxic environment Olympics and shit ain't as bad as the worst experience I've ever had so...

Or, my personal favorite, when "We don't have crunch" actually means "We don't have mandatory crunch". Let me tell you about 'voluntary overtime'. It ain't voluntary. There are always punishments for not 'volunteering' to work extra hours during 'not crunch'. Either you start getting bad performance reviews from your bosses because it 'doesn't seem like you are putting in the extra effort'. Or you get left off emails or meetings out of spite. Or you get reassigned to some other part of the project that is less prestigious or more rudimentary, grunt work. Or you just straight up get demoted or fired. And what quickly happens is that you are bullied into either crunching (but 'not crunching') or pushed out of the company.

There are a lot of developers willing to publicly tow the company line that they 'don't crunch' because it's voluntary. Or their work environment isn't toxic because 'we have great benefits'. I have worked for some exceptionally shitty companies and every single one had developers willing to go in front of the media and proclaim just how awesome the studio and work environment were.

2) Boycotting punishes developers more than publishers.

I've seen countless players (and the media) claim to be fighting the industry's business practices - be it loot boxes, microtransactions, crunch, storefront exclusivity, whatever - by either boycotting products or giving poor reviews. And somehow this will show those in control of these products (publishers) that their ways are wrong. It doesn't. The people at the top of most of these companies are... fucking insane. There's probably more appropriate word to describe their behavior but I don't know what it is. There's no introspection going on when something with the game doesn't pan out. Bad reviews don't make studio heads and publishers think "Oh, geez, maybe it was the bullshit monetization we did that tanked the product!"

What happens is - excuses get made that are almost universally laid on the development team. YOU didn't implement our vision properly. YOU didn't work hard enough on these features. YOU didn't do enough crunch. YOU missed this milestone and that's why our game bombed.

Bonuses are withheld, developers are laid off, benefits at the studio are slashed.

This shit don't work.

Oh, by the way, one thing about this I want to highlight: Bonuses in the game industry.

Base salary
at a lot of game studios is actually pretty low. I know every time the Game Developer Salary survey (or something similar) comes out and people look and see "OMG, devs make $90k a year!". Yeah, most of those are reporting ALL income - including bonuses. Bonuses are a HUGE portion of overall income for some developers. I have seen developers earn anywhere from 10%-100% of their yearly salary in a launch bonus. So, sure, I may have made $120k this year, but half of that was from the launch bonus.

But then the game gets bad sales for whatever reason. Or bad reviews. Well, my bonus was tied to a combination of metacritic score and sales benchmarks. And now I get nothing. The studio head still walks away with a six figure bonus. The publisher executives get paid 10x my salary regardless. The only person actually feeling any financial punishment are the developers.

So, buy whatever the hell you want. While developers probably appreciate the gesture, you aren't actually fixing any problems - and you might actually be actively hurting the people you are trying to stand up for.

Edit: Another reason talking about this is so damn hard is that even within the same studio, different jobs can have wildly different contracts and experiences. My experiences have been as a full time systems designer. I know other developers - especially artists - under contract rather than full time will not have the same issues with bonuses or even the same experiences with crunch. Sometimes one department will be working 80+ hours a week while another department, with different management, deadlines, etc., will be working 40 hours. One developer claiming bonuses matter while another claims they don't are not actually disagreeing - they just don't have the same work contract details. Just as one developer claiming they're not working crunch doesn't necessarily mean no one in the entire studio is, or vice versa.

That's very insightful. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Why did you cut off the rest of my post that directly addressed why the Lost sale isn't as large a factor. And why it doesn't send a message at all.

Of course I know about the opinions of the gaming industry, but you missed the point entirely by cutting off what I said and then giving me a copy paste of what two companies said.
do you really believe the rest of your post brings any kind of information that contradicts the quotes I used about what companies believe about used games?
if so, keep the good fight kiddo, I will waste my time elsewhere

Feb 13, 2018
What are what seems like a few thousand at best compared to probably tens of millions over a few years who will buy TLOU 2? A boycott only makes sense if the company feels or even notices that there is a boycott. This will not make anyone change anything sadly. So I am not taking part. There have to be other ways to reduce crush.

Last edited:

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
Would love to know how many of the boycotters here are gonna end up playing the game. Or how many are posting from their IPhones.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope. It's the only game I'm looking forward to in a big way this year tbh. Even cyberpunk (which you would also have to avoid buying) isn't hyping me up as much as last of us 2.

The industry does needs to change, admittedly. The same with the tech, food, and fashion industry do. But realistically 1000 people (if you're lucky) on a forum boycotting it isn't going to do it.

And where exactly do you draw a line in your principles? ND? The industry as a whole? Or maybe the cheap exploitative chinese labour who make practically ALL of your tech?

I'll just wait for these industries to maybe better themselves on their own rather than naively thinking I have any sort of impact in the world to force it to.

I'll at least get to play some amazing games in the meantime.

Oct 26, 2017
do you really believe the rest of your post brings any kind of information that contradicts the quotes I used about what companies believe about used games?
if so, keep the good fight kiddo, I will waste my time elsewhere

If your argument is even remotely true, then why are used game shops still allowed to exist? If you even remotely had a point, you'd see that companies would be allowed to take them to court and win. Except, that's not the case now is it? All you did was copy paste a company complaining about used games sales without an objective analysis into whether that's actually true or not. The info you cut out, I provided a model to showpeople that their attempts to protest by buying used games is half-assed and misguided at best. Especially considering that these games are multimillion sales (read multiple posts here that say they are still going to buy the game).

Also, your post assumes that companies don't lie about their intentions. Like how many times have we seen companies justify MTX as "well we just want to sell you MORE of the game!!!"

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just want to reiterate: If this was a smaller game that wasn't as beloved getting this publicity, would we be seeing more people on board with the boycott? The mood here, even 21 pages in, seems to be "sucks but getting the game anyways because reasons". I'm not hating on anyone who isn't boycotting or really making an opinion on those who are. I just have trouble seeing any sincerity in the opinions given the subject matter. I'm curious as to if the bias toward ND's quality games is shrouding peoples' judgement.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, ex-AAA dev here with some feedback for those that actually want to change crunch practices.

Most studios, especially in AAA, have crunch. In fact, out of the four different publishers I have worked for, every single one expected ALL studios under them to crunch to hit milestones/deadlines. And studios oblige because you don't want to lose incentives, bonuses, funding, or support staff. The list of studios who don't crunch - the list of products that are made 'crunch-free' is going to be unbelievably small if you are looking at AAA products. So if you plan to boycott products that are made in toxic work environments - it's going to be the vast majority of games. That's just how the industry is and boycotting isn't going to solve that.

Oh, and side note: People lie. Or exaggerate. Or downplay. I have had other developers in my own studio during crunch claim to not be crunching because we were only working 60-70 hours a week. Because their last studio worked 80+ during crunch. So this isn't crunch. Because we're in some toxic environment Olympics and shit ain't as bad as the worst experience I've ever had so...

Or, my personal favorite, when "We don't have crunch" actually means "We don't have mandatory crunch". Let me tell you about 'voluntary overtime'. It ain't voluntary. There are always punishments for not 'volunteering' to work extra hours during 'not crunch'. Either you start getting bad performance reviews from your bosses because it 'doesn't seem like you are putting in the extra effort'. Or you get left off emails or meetings out of spite. Or you get reassigned to some other part of the project that is less prestigious or more rudimentary, grunt work. Or you just straight up get demoted or fired. And what quickly happens is that you are bullied into either crunching (but 'not crunching') or pushed out of the company.

There are a lot of developers willing to publicly tow the company line that they 'don't crunch' because it's voluntary. Or their work environment isn't toxic because 'we have great benefits'. I have worked for some exceptionally shitty companies and every single one had developers willing to go in front of the media and proclaim just how awesome the studio and work environment were.

I've seen countless players (and the media) claim to be fighting the industry's business practices - be it loot boxes, microtransactions, crunch, storefront exclusivity, whatever - by either boycotting products or giving poor reviews. And somehow this will show those in control of these products (publishers) that their ways are wrong. It doesn't. The people at the top of most of these companies are... fucking insane. There's probably more appropriate word to describe their behavior but I don't know what it is. There's no introspection going on when something with the game doesn't pan out. Bad reviews don't make studio heads and publishers think "Oh, geez, maybe it was the bullshit monetization we did that tanked the product!"

What happens is - excuses get made that are almost universally laid on the development team. YOU didn't implement our vision properly. YOU didn't work hard enough on these features. YOU didn't do enough crunch. YOU missed this milestone and that's why our game bombed.

Bonuses are withheld, developers are laid off, benefits at the studio are slashed.

This shit don't work.

Oh, by the way, one thing about this I want to highlight: Bonuses in the game industry.

Base salary
at a lot of game studios is actually pretty low. I know every time the Game Developer Salary survey (or something similar) comes out and people look and see "OMG, devs make $90k a year!". Yeah, most of those are reporting ALL income - including bonuses. Bonuses are a HUGE portion of overall income for some developers. I have seen developers earn anywhere from 10%-100% of their yearly salary in a launch bonus. So, sure, I may have made $120k this year, but half of that was from the launch bonus.

But then the game gets bad sales for whatever reason. Or bad reviews. Well, my bonus was tied to a combination of metacritic score and sales benchmarks. And now I get nothing. The studio head still walks away with a six figure bonus. The publisher executives get paid 10x my salary regardless. The only person actually feeling any financial punishment are the developers.

So, buy whatever the hell you want. While developers probably appreciate the gesture, you aren't actually fixing any problems - and you might actually be actively hurting the people you are trying to stand up for.

Edit: Another reason talking about this is so damn hard is that even within the same studio, different jobs can have wildly different contracts and experiences. My experiences have been as a full time systems designer. I know other developers - especially artists - under contract rather than full time will not have the same issues with bonuses or even the same experiences with crunch. Sometimes one department will be working 80+ hours a week while another department, with different management, deadlines, etc., will be working 40 hours. One developer claiming bonuses matter while another claims they don't are not actually disagreeing - they just don't have the same work contract details. Just as one developer claiming they're not working crunch doesn't necessarily mean no one in the entire studio is, or vice versa.

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

This shit don't work.

Base salary

This is pretty great insight. Dope post.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Buying the game day 1 because I want to.

This is clearly not a sustainable way to do business and itll hit ND at some point and the industry in general.

I do wonder how the employees feel themselves?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would a Naughty Dog dev want me to not buy the product they have put metaphorical blood, sweat and tears in to, to make a point? Doubt it. Im buying TLOU2.

OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Given the suggestions and response to the idea of creating a resource thread dedicated to tracking the status of work in studios and publishers in this industry I will be drafting up just such a thread to be posted sometime later this weekend.

Any help or assistance in the creation of either the thread, the tracking or the messaging would be greatly appreciated. I will be the first to acknowledge that this sort of thing is absolutely not my strong suit but it's important and it obviously needs to be done

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would love to know how many of the boycotters here are gonna end up playing the game. Or how many are posting from their IPhones.
1*XRa2SMveRrEtfEyfODHrcA.png

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I already got the game pre ordered and I'm not going to change it.

I respect anyone who decides to boycott Naughty Dog, but I believe that if you want to be taken seriously anyone boycotting TLOU2 should also boycott any other game from devs that are know to crunch. Not doing so would be at minimum hypocrisy from you guys.

Have you played GTA OP? Destiny? Halo? Call of Duty? I hope you're boycotting those games too, or else how would you explain taking such drastic measures against only one developer?

Just my 2 cents.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
A boycott for majority of AAA games is that CoD MW2 picture. lol
Its not going to dent it and as others have said it just hurts everyone more.

Exactly.

Honestly this is way more effective in the long term (and we are thinking long term here, aren't we?), and voting with your wallet doesn't even necessarily send the right message.

Let's support unions and political change for workers, regardless of the industry.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
So I'm not sure how to ask - but I guess there's no nice way to put it...

Aren't we screwed no matter what we do? I totally agree that crunch is a practice that is absolutely abhorrent and needs to be gone from the industry, but I'm not sure boycotting the game is the best way (or is it?)

My worry is affecting game sales jeopardises their job security - my worry is that as a lot of companies seem to get rid of the workforce to exploit profits etc so my concern is that we'd have another terrible scenario on our hands?

It's just a terrible situation...

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Sorry but I will not do it, devs need the pay, but I support them on creating a developer's union or something to demand better wages for their efforts and fight the crunch in the industry.

kenneld

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I don't want to join. I don't even care about crunch. These are adults who are being compensated, and in the case of Naughty Dog the article says that they're upfront with new hires about the crunch culture there. Some of the employees enjoy it and some don't. They lost a lot of employees after Uncharted 4; as far as I'm concerned that's how the issue should be handled. The fact is that artistic endeavors require blood, sweat, and tears a lot of the time. Some people are willing to give that. More power to the ones who aren't, but let them find another place to work.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
No, we need to focus on better laws, not cancel culture. We might as well not use phones as they all were built with child labor.

Although I feel you OP, this shit is frustrating and solutions are hard

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The devs already got paid.

Something tells me the people working their asses off at Naughty Dog are in it for more than just getting paid.

I don't work for a AAA studio, but I do work on something heavily involved in the industry and I can tell you that getting paid is nice (and a big part of it), but most of us don't work long hours for just a paycheck.

A lot of it is to create something significant, that is personally fulfilling, that fans enjoy. Something you can be proud of.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is going to end up hurting the devs as they might not get their bonuses from the games sales, because people thought that by not buying the game it would somehow fix this... nice.

Like everyone has been saying, if you want to do something about it elect politicians who are for unions and actually do something about it.

JakeDF2

Feb 15, 2020
This culture of crunch will eventually bite developers in the buttocks. Talented developers will leave. People will get demotivated to make good products. The AAA industry will take a massive hit like Ubisoft is doing.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I just want to reiterate: If this was a smaller game that wasn't as beloved getting this publicity, would we be seeing more people on board with the boycott? The mood here, even 21 pages in, seems to be "sucks but getting the game anyways because reasons". I'm not hating on anyone who isn't boycotting or really making an opinion on those who are. I just have trouble seeing any sincerity in the opinions given the subject matter. I'm curious as to if the bias toward ND's quality games is shrouding peoples' judgement.

I mean, that goes with any big production. It's why people kind of shrugged their shoulders when stories came out about the working conditions surrounding Red Dead Redemption 2. Or fuck, if we're going to go there, Chick Fil A still turning profit year over year. The mass majority is, for good or bad, going to prioritize their personal enjoyment of the product over a moral stand.

Not trying to pass the buck either, but stuff like this isn't going to be settled with threats of boycott, but the devs actually unionizing to improve their working conditions.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So far as I can tell, no one was forced or even asked to crunch, and people get hired knowing they'll have to.

I see no reason to boycott and tell all those people who worked to make an all-time great game that my sense of corporate ethics is more important than their ambition and talent.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
The only ones who can do anything about crunch are the developers. You boycotting the game they are working on does absolutely nothing.

May 17, 2018
I don't want to join. I don't even care about crunch. These are adults who are being compensated, and in the case of Naughty Dog the article says that they're upfront with new hires about the crunch culture there. Some of the employees enjoy it and some don't. They lost a lot of employees after Uncharted 4; as far as I'm concerned that's how the issue should be handled. The fact is that artistic endeavors require blood, sweat, and tears a lot of the time. Some people are willing to give that. More power to the ones who aren't, but let them find another place to work.

This is where I'm at. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with it in my own industry, but, my company is the best in the world at what we do because we have lots of people who bust their ass to hit deadlines. Plenty of people aren't comfortable with that, and that's genuinely fine, but, I don't get the point in shaming those that stick through it.

The only thing I've read so far that's grossed me out is them holding that one guy's pay ransom.

Last edited:

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
Lol its funny seeing people trying to be so high and mighty while they type their comments from their smart phone manufactured in China by people who work in much worse conditions.

Most of the stuff you own is made by someone working under worse conditions than video game developers. Seems like an odd place to draw the line.

There was an article released a few weeks ago about slave labor in China and how almost every large company in the world uses them that got barely any reaction.
I know, its laughable. Some in this thread take this stuff very seriously. I mean try and gain some perspective here.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been said earlier, but not buying a game because dev's worked their asses off on it is incredibly stupid. The best gift you could actually do to them is buy the game, at least they'll get their bonuses and you'll appreciate the work they put into it.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The reaction to this thread has been quite shocking, at least based on what I thought the general concensus of ERA would have been.

I've been feverishly looking forward to playing this, but frankly if that signifies that I'm comfortable paying for products that aren't ethically made then I'm out from now on.

And for all of you saying that boycotting crunch would result in devs losing jobs or hurting their creative input? First of all that's a sunk-cost fallacy, and secondly if crunch stopped making any studios money it would stop. All that would be left are companies that don't crunch. That's how a social movement works.

Unfortunately it'll never come to that because people are terrible at depriving themselves of the things that they want, myself included. It's the whole reason so much capitalism is hoisted upon the shoulders of cheap outsourced labour, and why chains like Starbucks continue to make record profits despite some of their coffee coming from farms employing the labour of children as young as 8 years old.

So please, boycott or don't. You will ultimately do you, but at least try to think critically about the message you send if you do or don't choose to support a cause through your actions.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even just devs that have to deal with "crunch". Many retail/service workers deal with something extremely similar every year around Black Friday. Doctors, lawyers, police, firefighters, and many other professions routinely deal with working much more than 40 hours per week. It's unfortunate but it's fairly common in our society.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Devs are grown ups that can form unions if they want. Hell, they could just form their own union within ND to diminish crunch time. What's management going to do, fire the entire staff? It's not my job nor is it really effective for me to advocate for them.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

This shit don't work.

Base salary

This is insightful and should be theardmarked.

The games industry is toxic but boycotts will make things just worse for the employees. It's a sad state, since we can't change that, we can just make it worse.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy The Last of Us 2 twice.

This shit don't work.

Base salary

This is a very insightful post.

Crunching extends to almost every product people on this very forum buy. People want to talk about Naughty Dog and Rockstar? Lol CDPR crunched to new heights for The Witcher 3, and that game is a fan favorite on this forum.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this thread has been quite shocking, at least based on what I thought the general concensus of ERA would have been.
Nah when it comes to topics like this. This is exactly how Era behaves.

They don't give a singular fuck how something is made, or how their favourite authors are treated (in the case of comics and so forth) just as long as they get their thing. That's all they care about.

You saw the same attitude when the voice actors went on strike. And even see when it's on the topic of the games industry unionising.

Era has a very fuck you got mine attitude. (which is not just limited to the gaming side, it's the same in the OT also) It's very depressing to see.
It's not even just devs that have to deal with "crunch". Many retail/service workers deal with something extremely similar every year around Black Friday. Doctors, lawyers, police, firefighters, and many other professions routinely deal with working much more than 40 hours per week. It's unfortunate but it's fairly common in our society.
Which is why those professions have unions.

And why it's sorely lacking in the games industry.

This shit don't work.

Base salary

Thank you for taking the time to post this. As it gives much need insight into a very closed industry.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Then stop buying almost 80% of AAA Games.
Indie games too, I don't think there's a single game I've worked on that didn't have crunch. Even if your company is wholely against crunch, when the people with the money want you to, you do it. Especially as an indie company because if you don't then suddenly all your friends can't afford to survive any more. It's stressful.