• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like op wants game to flop and people to lose their jobs. Fuck that.
So everyone who doesnt buy the game for whatever reason is at fault when management decides to fire devs? Yeah, sure, sounds logical.

And ND seems to be making sure people abandon their jobs on their own already by burning them out in record time, no need to fire anyone.

Why just spreading awareness is not the answer
OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Boycotting could end up resulting in those devs losing their job and/or part of their salary because they didn't meet expectations, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I think it's much better to put pressure on social media, let people know what they're doing wrong and see if they can improve their conditions.

If you don't buy the product, the message you're sending is "I'm not interested in this product", not "I want better work conditions for the people involved in this product".

I probably won't get the game when it launches and wait for a sale anyway. Hopefully someone will say something regarding the disgusting conditions in the studio by then.

the only reason social media pressure would work is because the companies behind the game believes it will impact their bottom line. People espousing that spending your money on the game doesn't matter are completely missing the entire point of spreading awareness. The two go hand in hand.

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned(3 day): Whataboutism
Wonder how many people here will take a stand and "boycott" this game while also buying next gen consoles that are being made with the helping hand of slave labour. Crunch, bad. Slavery, acceptable. Apparently.
The hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me, not only on this topic but so many other too.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
So, you're buying it. In which way will you be sending your message?
Verbally, I'll do what I can rather than be proud of my lack of compassion like many seem to be in this thread

Responses like this are simply gross:
"I'm sure that will show them!

Day 1, sorry. "
(this is an actual reply)

Will my actions make a difference? Maybe not but it's better than just lying down and accepting it

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I cannot in good conscience give my money to any studio that I know has relied on overworking their employees to produce a game. Spreading awareness is absolutely also important but choosing where I spend my money and expressing the importance of this issue to me with that choice is also important.
I support you, man. I hope the people feeling like you do, do not only not buy ND games anymore, but dont rent them, dont buy them used and even stopped discussing their games. Cut ND off completly out of their concioussness.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...

I hope you extend it to consoles too.
Exactly.
It's funny that we use consoles and then want to boycott games. Or use smartphones to post here, a smartphone that workers made in bad conditions.
Crunch is one of the worst things in this industry without a doubt, but sadly we're using lots of things that poor workers are making in the worst conditions, much much worse than people in studios like ND.
You can't just boycott a game because it's an easy thing to do, but continue to use other things. It's like a person who says "I'm vegetarian, so I don't go McDonald's" but eats other burgers.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of logic is exactly why exploitative companies and industries are allowed to thrive in the modern world. If people not giving exploitative studios their money leads to those studios closing then so be it. That opens the door for more studios that don't rely on those sorts of exploitative practices to pop up.

This just seems like wishful thinking OP.

Most companies won't stop doing this until they are strong armed by a heavy penalty, either a lawsuit or direct demands from a workers union.
More than anything, these workers need help from a legal standpoint, to assess how to go about this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many people here will take a stand and "boycott" this game while also buying next gen consoles that are being made with the helping hand of slave labour. Crunch, bad. Slavery, acceptable. Apparently.

Normally I would say this is just a whataboutism, but I do agree that there is a huge difference in college educated tech workers in the USA and kids/laborers/slaves in China that people seem to forget here. Theres a massive gap in opportunity there, game devs in Los Angeles have exponentially more opportunities to earn a living wage

Wonkertonk

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Warwick, England
Verbally, I'll do what I can rather than be proud of my lack of compassion like many seem to be in this thread

Responses like this are simply gross:
(this is an actual reply)

Will my actions make a difference? Maybe not but it's better than just lying down and accepting it
Verbally? Will you use your platform as a YouTuber/influencer to perhaps make a video on it condemning Naughty Dog's Crunch culture?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boycotts don't work and aren't the right way to go about affecting change. The only power the end users have is to support pro-labor politicians and support devs when they take direct action (walkouts, strikes, etc).

Consumer boycotts have never been effective at affecting institutional change in the industry.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't deprive myself of the art so many have worked hard to produce.

If we were to not buy products produced by questionable practice then we'd buy next to nothing at all.

I'm not saying crunch is a good thing by the way, but 'cancelling' brands for it isn't the way to go.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I will not buy The Last of Us 2.

I will be given a promo code for free. Does that make me better? Or worse?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, after they work their asses off, let's make this game a flop and possibly close the studio. That's gonna send a message. No.

That Kotaku article is already going to cause some pressure and there's a lot more we can do instead of boycotting other people's work.
I don't remember this energy to boycott Red Dead Redemption 2 and so many other games...

We have news that over 70% of the design team have seen turn over, constant news that they hire very young developers and then kill the seasoned devs off because they are stuck trying to work as well as train all the new staff. This is a constantly rotating mess.

Go read the tweets from the ex dev on twitter. It's absolutely Damning, and I do not believe you get a reputation like Naughty Dog has among developers if "every company" is working like this.

I genuinely believe responses like this from the OP will help massively. If people do not buy the game it will force the studio to change. Sony isn't going to allow ND to just die off, they would rotate the decent staff into a new studio in the absolute extreme circumstance.

I commend the OP for making this thread, because there will absolutely be eyes on Resetera by some important people, and the more we do to highlight this, the higher chance we have of seeing a quicker turn around on some of these terrible practices.

Hat's off OP, well put and brave to do on here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Exactly.
It's funny that we use consoles and then want to boycott games. Or use smartphones to post here, a smartphone that workers made in bad conditions.
Crunch is one of the worst things in this industry without a doubt, but sadly we're using lots of things that poor workers are making in the worst conditions, much much worse than people in studios like ND. You can't just boycott a game because it's an easy thing to do, but continue to use other things.
Weird how some people think that devs working crunch was too much for them.
But children and adults in China working in almost slavery conditions to make their consoles, on that they don't take a stand.

OP
OP
RexNovis

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really great to have some sort of default tag for game discussion on this site that identified or indicated any studios that relied heavily on crunch to better spread awareness for folks reading this forum.

perhaps we could get a mod to chime in about this?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Boycotts don't work and aren't the right way to go about affecting change. The only power the end users have is to support pro-labor politicians and support devs when they take direct action (walkouts, strikes, etc).

Consumer boycotts have never been effective at affecting institutional change in the industry.

Battlefront 2

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I thought it was generally accepted around here that crunch is bad and shouldn't be supported.

Guess things change when it's blessed Naughty Dog that's caught committing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Then stop buying almost 80% of AAA Games.

Yeah this is very true. I've already put this in motion unconsciously. I don't buy games day one anymore (exception is animal crossing 😭) . However as with more news about this stuff happens, making a blanket statement to dismiss this actual thing, regardless if it is VERY OBVIOUS that AAA development leads to this, doesn't make it right. But I mean, on a forum....we are talking into the wind. The GP won't care and aren't as invested in gaming news as the rest of us here.

I thought it was generally accepted around here that crunch is bad and shouldn't be supported.

Guess things change when it's blessed Naughty Dog that's caught committing it.

And can we not do this? When it was blessed Rockstar the same thing happened...and if it was blessed CD Project Red, it would happen too and blessed Nintendo or whomever. Let's stop making it seem like it's a ND exclusive feature.

There's this weird affixation of people more concerned about how fanboys are letting this slide rather than how people in general will make this slide no matter who it is. The exception to this has always been if you are the least favorite by pretty much everyone (A la EA)

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I'm getting day one.

Back during RDR2's release there were numerous reports of crunch related to that game and other games. Waypoint spoke to multiple game devs about whether to boycott and the devs said to not boycott, support the creators by buying the product and instead be vocal about the issues. You're basically not getting what they put their hard earned work into. Since then I've been buying products and been vocal. In turn we've seen progress in some games such as P5:5 and we've seen that being vocal can work.

So I'm listening to devs and buying day one. I'll just be against crunch and will speak up. Also screw anyone trying to make people feel bad for wanting the game just because they themselves want to boycott. Go tell that to those devs who said to get the product.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not joining this. First of all there's crunch happening in the vast majority of game studios. You'd have very few games to play if you would boycott every game that had some form of crunch happening. In the last couple of months before going gold almost all studios do crunch.
Secondly, boycotting this game also punishes the people that have already been suffering to get this game out the door in a timely and polished fashion.

The game, to me, looked like shit from the beginning and I had no interest in buying. Guess I can sprinkle in some light boycott as well at this point.

I have the feeling there's also some other deep-seated antipathy against the game/developer going on, lol.

Last edited:

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just like Pokemon Sword and Shield, this boycott won't make a dent in sales. You can let your voices be known, sure, but the game is going to sell a ton. Good luck though.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would say this is just a whataboutism, but I do agree that there is a huge difference in college educated tech workers in the USA and kids/laborers/slaves in China that people seem to forget here. Theres a massive gap in opportunity there, game devs in Los Angeles have exponentially more opportunities to earn a living wage
This is a really good point too. Always strange to read all of the sad posts about developers losing their jobs when they work in an industry that is thriving with opportunities galore and who have high earning power. Other people losing their jobs in other industries is usually never met with such a reaction.

Priorities are weird.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worker's rights are not more important than my trivial entertainment. Also, they already got paid and worked hard, so boycotting the game would only damage the publisher that forced them to crunch in the first place. I must respect big corporations.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how strong you people are, personally i'm a shitty person so I probably won't cancel my preorder and I really need something to get off my mind to during these times.

I'm a hypocrite too since i'm calling out their toxing crunch culture :( feelsbadman

Nov 14, 2017
99% of people joining this would never buy the game.
Also, you would have to stop buying almost every AAA game in existence.

Crunch sucks but I'll definitely be buying the game they spent countless hours working on.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, I agree the practice is not good but it won't stop me getting the game. I can't think of anything worse for someone who has gone through hell to make a game for people to not actually buy it and play it in the end lol.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Crunch bad. Slave labor ok.

One is slavery. Another is crunch.

What is more likely:

A change in the working processes in "1st world" country companies where people actually have a chance to do that, unionize and what not?

Or

Solving one of the biggest problems in this world: The iron-tight grip that China has over EVERYONE, companies and other countries a like, to the point where they can freely do fucked up shit like slavery?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. That wasn't an institutional change.
2. It was the result of the threat of government action and Disney's anger.

Production pipelines are insulated from consumer outrage. Boycotts will never be effective because for every 1 Era user that refuses to buy the game there are 10,000 other people who don't know or don't care who will. It's pointless to punish yourself.

Keep talking about it, call your representatives, support unionization movements, but this industry isn't small enough for boycotts to have any meaningful effect institutionally.

Oct 25, 2017
No sorry.

At the end of the day, these are grown adults, not children. It's not my job to hold their hands.

If they want to unionize, strike, whatever, then be my guest. More power to you.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardly anyone cared when Blizzard supported the fascist, murderous, and oppressive Chinese Party, so what makes you think anyone is going to give a shit about Naughty Dog's crunching shitfuckery? Op, I commend you for your stance.