• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The CEO of Royal Carribean is worth $155 million alone. There is an avenue to pay his employees that doesn't involve taking a foreign government's tax money. There are actual US companies and citizens who need help before we start throwing money at literal millionaires.

I agree with you, just saying there are many that will lose jobs if the cruise industry falters.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you, just saying there are many that will lose jobs if the cruise industry falters.

Yeah, but I'm saying there is no real risk of faltering unless the people who are actually making hand over fist money in the entire process are too stupid to let it fail. This is a golden goose that has made this dude more money than he can spend in his entire lifetime, you'd think that would be important enough that he'd do everything in his power to keep it a float. Yet here he is, begging for money, because he's not willing to open his pocket book.

No sympathy from me, there's an easy way for these cruise companies to survive all this. Don't cry to us about how much it hurts to do it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I'm saying there is no real risk of faltering unless the people who are actually making hand over fist money in the entire process are too stupid to let it fail. This is a golden goose that has made this dude more money than he can spend in his entire lifetime, you'd think that would be important enough that he'd do everything in his power to keep it a float. Yet here he is, begging for money, because he's not willing to open his pocket book.

No sympathy from me, there's an easy way for these cruise companies to survive all this. Don't cry to us about how much it hurts to do it.
They're all begging for money because why not?
There's no downside.
We just give them money with no strings attached.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand it is nice to see the tax tricks hurting them back.

On the other hand, the companies are getting help so that they can stay afloat for the employees and economic benefits, which still exist with these companies.

Not sure if the glee some are having would be the same if they thought it through.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Cruise ships are floating bio-hazards, floating environmental disasters, off shore tax evaders and they annoy the shit out of the locals

fuck 'em

hey, the water in Venice turned clear blue since the Cruise Ship ban

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cruise ships are floating bio-hazards, floating environmental disasters, off shore tax evaders and they annoy the shit out of the locals

there is nothing good about the cruise line industry
They also have some of the worst labor practices in the (presumably) developed world.
And they're generally owned by some of the worst people on the planet.

Just an awful industry and I will not shed a tear if it's wiped out.

Suggested reading on the subject -

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Stuck on a floating hotel with a bunch of cantankerous old people or a rude family and their screaming children that you cannot get away from because you're all stuck on a boat is not my definition of "fun." And yes, I'm basing this of a horrible, HORRIBLE experience I had with a cruise...

Carnival? Or a holiday week?

Don't do that.

First tip for cruises is always have ay least 2 destinations that are interesting. Like bahamas, Jamaica, Aruba.

Then use Royal Caribbean or Princess. Costs 20% more than carnival but the food is better, service is better, people arent spilling margaritas and guy Ferei burgers in the pools.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carnival? Or a holiday week?

Don't do that.

First tip for cruises is always have ay least 2 destinations that are interesting. Like bahamas, Jamaica, Aruba.

Then use Royal Caribbean or Princess. Costs 20% more than carnival but the food is better, service is better, people arent spilling margaritas and guy Ferei burgers in the pools.

It was Carnival I think. And forget about spilling food, one kid pissed and shit in one of the pools on my ship. I wish I could say that was the worst thing that happened, but it wasn't…

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Then use Royal Caribbean or Princess.

I have only been on a couple but the food is terrible now compared to 15 years ago. 15 years ago in Royal was like eating in a really good restaurant every night. We did Royal two years ago and after a few days we were all tired of the mediocre food. Even my freaking kids were tired of the kid junk food after afew days.
We did sneak in a bottle of rum on he recent trip so that made it more bearable. After learning about how much they pollute we are done. I do feel bad for all of the employees who grind it out on the ship so their families can have better lives.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Bail them out if they will reflag with the US and pay taxes, otherwise no. However, there are 150K+ jobs at stake, so it's a tough call.
I'd say it's too late for that. They can't skip out on taxes then run to throw some tax payments just so they can get bailed out. What happens when things are ok again, they'd run back to not having to contribute.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Cruise companies right now.

giphy.gif

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
And then the cruise industry lobbyists swoop in with yacht sized cash infusions and suddenly the politicians reconsider the language, for the good of the everyday American people.

You should all know this will be the final outcome. Don't act all surprised when it goes down.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Good, let the cruise industry die. They are neither necessary nor desirable. If you're going to waste billions trying to revive a dead tourism vehicle, bring back fucking zeppelins.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that they wanted to pull a pissy because people living paycheck to paycheck were getting an extra 600$.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
death to them.

with that said, they are major employers in South Florida, i know people who are employed with them. i dont want them to lose their jobs, their very valuable health insurance. the companies must hand over equity, reflag ships, and higher employee standards, if they refuse, fuck them.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Hey, if they get some aid, then undocumented immigrants should get aid, too. At least they reside in the US.

Trump has shown DACA are so at risk of deportations, my utter dream is for a Democrat trifecta to finally secure the protections for them to stay. 4 more years of Trump, secure from reelection, having finally destroyed his enemies in the Republican Party and the administration.....theres no way aside from him not thinking about them for them to be secure.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's amazing they can put guns to the heads if their workers and demand taxpayer money. Worse is there are enough people who think it's the right thing to do bc jobs. Then these same people will be utterly shocked when nothing changes and will scratch their head in confusing.

We create these too big to fail corporations who are all utterly financially irresponsible as fuck but because they "create jobs" they're allowed to constantly fuck up and generate wealth off the backs of people, fuck up and get bailed out over and over again.

Capitalism is so fucking flimsy that two weeks decimates the entire system, everyone is living check to check apparently. Only thing different is corporations are rewarded for it and workers are told to stop eating avocados and pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Worse is there enough utterly stupid bootlickers who think cruise liners and others should be constantly saved because they can threaten to fire their workforce...which they'll fucking do anyway because capitalism. Giant corps can't be allowed to fail so we basically make sure they don't by giving them taxpayer money left and right. But Mom and Pop stores are allowed to go under bc hey that's the "free market"

What a shit system folks are blindly fellatio'ing

And to make it worse folks constantly vote in someone who "will keep things the same and go back to 'normal' " 🙄

Everyday I get more and more disillusioned with all of this shit.

Last edited:

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
What am I missing? Aren't the headquarters of pretty much all of them based in USA (Miami for Royal Caribbean, Carnival etc.) So wouldn't that give them a cut of the bailout money? Ships themselves are under different country flags.