• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Really sad and shows the results of going blindly into the game industry not because you want it or have a passion for it, but because you're a huge company and you feel like you MUST because it's generating huge money for other companies.

This has happened since the 70s, when Warner bought Atari and ruined them; still, big executives don't learn from the past.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Uh damn, that's brutal. Best of luck to the devs. Must be hard to see all your work not make it to release.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So what ever happened to that mmo they launched then pulled almost immediately?

Unless I'm absolutely whiffing on something, I think you're thinking OF Crucible, which went back into beta shortly after launch. Their upcoming MMO New World had a reasonably positive preview window a month or so back, though it was significantly delayed into next year and there's some contention about the move from a more sandboxy/pvp oriented game to something like a more traditional themepark mmo. Then there's also the Lord of the Rings MMO, which we know way less of, only what we can glean from job postings really, afaik.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
It's sucks for Double Helix. Struggling to make ends-meet as an indie making licensed games for years, then finally hit their Stride with an Ultra Combo™ of Killer Instinct and Strider, only to be melted down for Amazon games that will no longer exist.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have a feeling amazon management probably had no idea how to manage a games studio when they made this.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Yes, that was predictable. The game never had a second chance.

I am still amazed that people believe that you can simply buy your way into the gaming industry.

People keep mentioning google and amazon as the real competition in gaming in the future because of how big these companies are. It's nonsense.

CasasClay

Feb 17, 2020
Well that was extremely short lived. I was actually interested in checking out this game once it was fully released. Guess that's not happening. Rip.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
For the future? Acquisitions like that are all long term moves. I think Amazon just announced a cloud gaming service. MS should continue to stay ahead of them despite none of their services taking off.
I agree, what I don't agree is with some comments that MS isn't competing with Sony anymore but with Amazon and Google I mean come on even with all their money content is king and Sony has a steaming service too ffs, just because it's not a trillion dollar company doesn't mean it can't compete

Not to mention the Playstation brand, I think Sony is being underestimated here

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel for the devs, All that work for this to be the outcome is never something any developer wants.
I blame Amazon moreso though. The game didn't even have much marketing when it was coming out. Despite amazon OWNING twitch where they easily could've pushed it (Even if that wouldn't have fixed some of the other issues the game had).

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Amazon is figuring out that making games is really hard.

I expect a big acquisition from them in the nearish future.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At some point companies are going to stop funding random hero shooters but I imagine another 3 or 4 will launch and die before that happens. Kind of wild how many ways Amazon sent this out to die

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand how amazon and google are worth so much money but all of their video game ventures have been so bad.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon is figuring out that making games is really hard.

I expect a big acquisition from them in the nearish future.

Not just any games, but multiplayer games of which there is an abundance of choice for people to play, so a new game has to bring something new or interesting to the table otherwise people are just going to continue to play what they are currently playing.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what this will entail for New World's future if it doesn't keep up to snuff.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is why I don't believe Amazon or Google really care about about getting in the games business and just think they can fling whatever out there and suckers will eat it up.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Having your initial marque launch games be game as service only make sense if you're in for the long haul.

There's no other way to make the next multiplayer game work if no one is using your platform.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I do not understand how amazon and google are worth so much money but all of their video game ventures have been so bad.
Because you don't just buy your way in to an industry that has been honing its craft for 50+ years. It's a special combination of arrogance and a deep misunderstanding of what makes games standout and succeed.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
Man I wonder what it feels like to waste so much money?

Then again it's Bezos so it barely dents him I am sure.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it must be a deep cut to release a game, unrelease it after like a week, then never get to release it again after.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hint of an Amazon acquisition incoming?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this game failed hard. Can't think of anything recent that would be comparable.

Feel bad for the devs

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I agree, what I don't agree is with some comments that MS isn't competing with Sony anymore but with Amazon and Google I mean come on even with all their money content is king and Sony has a steaming service too ffs, just because it's not a trillion dollar company doesn't mean it can't compete

Not to mention the Playstation brand, I think Sony is being underestimated here

They're most definitely still competing with Sony.

Even though they seem far more focused on expanding their ecosystem as much as they are trying to sell console hardware, it was a silly thing to say. As far as Sony being underestimated, I think it depends. They are still a juggernaut in the console space but seem to not care as much about the cloud space at the moment. The tech still has ways to go before Sony goes full steam ahead on pushing it the way it does its consoles. Not to mention cloud gaming is simply not a great option for most people yet.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took MS years + billions in investment to understand and procure expertise, I think its unlikely you can become a platform in gaming so easily. Takes generations of learning.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Took MS years + billions in investment to understand and procure expertise, I think its unlikely you can become a platform in gaming so easily. Takes generations of learning.
It's even more remarkable what sony was able to do with the ps1. They immediately took over.

I think it's because they see fortnite money and want to immediately get in on it not knowing how hard it is to create that kind of hit.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Not just any games, but multiplayer games of which there is an abundance of choice for people to play, so a new game has to bring something new or interesting to the table otherwise people are just going to continue to play what they are currently playing.
Yep, it's pretty insane. Amazon hardly marketed the game either, I feel bad for the devs.

I recommend everyone read this article from Wired about Amazon Game Studios if you haven't already.

www.wired.com

Amazon Wants to ‘Win at Games.’ So Why Hasn’t It?

The company that brute-forced its way into so many industries may now have met its match.

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft has sent Bleeding Edge to death and stopped releasing content after 4 months.
EA has just sent their Rocket Arena into a literal grave. Failures with Anthem or BFV.
Sony has abandoned their pursuit of service-pvp games altogether.
Ubisoft went to their bunker after the failures with Crew 2, Division 2 and Breakpoint keeping players engaged.
Nintendo doesn't even pretend to be interested in making such games.

I think it is safe to say that releasing new online-pvp games is a challenge regardless of your experience and capital.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm absolutely whiffing on something, I think you're thinking OF Crucible, which went back into beta shortly after launch. Their upcoming MMO New World had a reasonably positive preview window a month or so back, though it was significantly delayed into next year and there's some contention about the move from a more sandboxy/pvp oriented game to something like a more traditional themepark mmo. Then there's also the Lord of the Rings MMO, which we know way less of, only what we can glean from job postings really, afaik.

It was definitely New World, guess I got the beta news from Crucible mixed up with the former. That's a shame they're thinking of going with themepark direction :/

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing Amazon and Google constantly fuck up makes it more impressive what MS was able to accomplish with the OG Xbox.

It helped Sega had just self destructed and Nintendo was in a downswing. PS2 was the still the juggernaut of all juggernauts though.

Jan 20, 2019
It's even more remarkable what sony was able to do with the ps1. They immediately took over.

I think it's because they see fortnite money and want to immediately get in on it not knowing how hard it is to create that kind of hit.

Sony took over because they already had a product ready to go, that and all of 3 party were prety much exclusive, after that it was easy.

When peopel say that Amazon and Google are going to takeover gaming i dont understand, like, this companies have nothing against the current 3, the only think they have is a cloud infrastruture.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seems like Crytek is laughing all the way to the bank after selling Amazon that useless game engine license. Such a money sink.