• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

How Far Can Cats Fall?

How far can cats fall? The short answer: it depends. Read on to learn why cats like climbing up high and what researchers found when experimenting.
It'd probably be fine, but that same source shares this:
However, a similar and more recent study in 2003 had different results. A study published in The Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery found that cases of highrise syndrome (the term used for injuries when falling in cats) sharply rose after the seventh story and that injury was less related to height and more to do with the landing surface and individual dexterity.

It's hard to tell exactly how far it was, but I'd guess 80-120 feet (so 8-12 stories). The landing would have been onto concrete, however, which is worse than landing on grass.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Cat: "Fall? Didn't you see me at 20 seconds into the video motioning for you to clear my landing zone?"

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to be the party pooper, but the cat would have been ok without the people, right?

It didn't look like that high for a cat.
Really depends. 10 years ago one of my cats went out for a walk and died after falling 4 storeys. She was a semi outdoor cat (despite our efforts to keep her in) and has fallen a few times before while she was out ( I saw once while trying to get her home). Was never injured from any previous shenanigans either.

The people in the video who saved her could have done worse damage. They should have let the cat just run away.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Cat would be have probably be fine if it landed on a flat surface. The seating & concrete stadium stairs etc... Probably wouldn't have been great to land on.

No way of knowing, but I think in this situation catching the cat was probably the safest.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Was it actually okay? It could have a broken leg or something and those idiots just made it worse by picking it up.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Not my cat. He is a blubbery twenty pounds. He falls and lands like a water balloon.

Bet he is still a fast chonker when he wants to be though.

fat-cat-chonky.gif

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Jesus - some of you. The cat falling onto hard concrete/a seat/a fan from a danging position is not a better alternative than people coming together to help it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cat made it pretty dramatic with that one handed grip

How Far Can Cats Fall?

How far can cats fall? The short answer: it depends. Read on to learn why cats like climbing up high and what researchers found when experimenting.
This bit seems important

Strangely, there's evidence to suggest a higher incidence rate of serious injury and death in cats falling from a shorter height. A 1982 study published in the Journal Of The American Veterinary Medical Association studied 132 cats who had fallen from a height of around 5 stories. The study found around a third of these cats would've died without emergency treatment. The study suggests that the incidence rate is higher in falls less than 7 stories because a cat reaches terminal velocity after 7 stories, meaning they have time to relax and spread out, creating more drag.
So basically if it isn't high enough it becomes more dangerous again

Last edited:

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah the cat might've survived the fall on its own...but I regain a bit of humanity when I see people panic and use whatever they can to save it. I especially love when everyone erupts in triumph when it's ok. I don't want to live in a world where people turn a blind eye to an animal's trauma.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't cats survive like 20-30 feet drops? Those people are just swinging it around after they catch it wtf. They're could've hurt it then

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't cats survive like 20-30 feet drops? Those people are just swinging it around after they catch it wtf. They're could've hurt it then
i'm surprised the cat didn't immediately start clawing anybody touching it. looks like it finally did after being held up like a trophy for a while. wonder what happened with it afterwards.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Cat would be have probably be fine if it landed on a flat surface. The seating & concrete stadium stairs etc... Probably wouldn't have been great to land on.

No way of knowing, but I think in this situation catching the cat was probably the safest.
It was 100% safest. I don't care how high cats can fall from or how likely they are to land on their feet. If it fell with no one around and didn't land on its feet (which does in fact happen from time to time) it would definitely be dead. These people eliminated that possibility. People are weird in that we can't just celebrate a cool thing happening but instead we need to hyper analyze it and pick it apart.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
After I watched it I kept thinking about what if no one had seen it and it just suddenly fell and landed on a fan how much of a WTF moment that would be for the fan (assuming they were okay after)

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Rober's squirrel video had a good explanation on how animals like cats and squirrels are able to fall from really high up and not get hurt, as well as manuever themselves in the air while falling to not hit dangerous obscacles on the ground (at about 11:30). Team the cat would have been fine and the dude giving it whiplash looked more dangerous. I have no problem with them trying to help catch it but that guy holding it like he's fucking Rafiki sucks

youtu.be

Backyard Squirrel Maze 1.0- Ninja Warrior Course

Squirrels were stealing my bird seed so I solved the problem with mechanical engineering :)Here is an explanation of the illusion dish thing!- https://demos....

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
A cat falling onto an american flag with drunk fans everywhere at a college football game on 9/11 is the most american thing ever

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Cat dishonoured the flag by spraying on it.

Will be dragged on Fox News for the next week.

Candace Owens's cat will come out and slam the cat for letting other cats down.

Alex Jones will call it a false flag psyop to distract from Big Purina trying to turn our dogs gay.

Ben Shapiro will refuse to debate the cat out of fear of being easily defeated.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Trolling and antagonizing other members over a series of posts, thread derailment
The cat instantly starts scratching and hurting the people holding it up. At no point does it register to the cat that the humans holding it are not trying to harm it. It just does whatever the fuck it wants. No other animal would've done the same. Not instantly like that. And even if they did, they'd chill after awhile. Ive seen owls and fucking hawks act tame after humans hold them for a bit. We're talking about talons that can easily leave very realistic tattoos on you in seconds with a bonus of shredded flesh.

Like, sometimes I just don't understand how cats can be so dumb and obnoxious. You cant take being held for a few seconds after nearly becoming concrete paste? The hell is wrong with it?

Fucking hell, I hate cats.

Edit: woke up to 13 extremely angry replies...... About a silly cat post. Sometimes I wonder about ERA.

Yall niggas get your coffee or some shit lmao.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The cat instantly starts scratching and hurting the people holding it up. At no point does it register to the cat that the humans holding it are not trying to harm it. It just does whatever the fuck it wants. No other animal would've done the same. Not instantly like that. And even if they did, they'd chill after awhile. Ive seen owls and fucking hawks act tame after humans hold them for a bit. We're talking about talons that can easily leave very realistic tattoos on you in seconds with a bonus of shredded flesh.

Like, sometimes I just don't understand how cats can be so dumb and obnoxious. You cant take being held for a few seconds after nearly becoming concrete paste? The hell is wrong with it?

You seem nice

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

lol

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Props to those people on the stadium. May the Cat gods bless them.

Also, people who complains about people rescuing animals is beyond me. Never change Era.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018

What a weird issue to have

Oct 25, 2017
This is just about the only thread ever around here I feel safe saying I love Garfield and it's really really mean what the internet has done to him.

This could be the ending of a Garfield movie.

Poor little dude did seem to come off the flag into the stands but maybe it was something else that made the thud.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I can't believe the cat didn't immediately high five its rescuers and offer them each a Cuban cigar upon returning to safety, bloody cats!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, the animal that just fell 4 stories into hundreds of screaming hairless apes should have totally thanked them.
The fuck is this forum sometimes..... just surreal. Projecting human traits onto animals lmao. It literally pissed itself in fear. Im hoping this was just a sarcastic post, but its honestly near impossible to tell.

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
To the "They saved the cat!" people. Are you joking? Are you on a 2012 SE and can't see what happens? Do you understand what it means when the guy holding the flag ends up with the entire thing resting on one hand with no cat in it?

Like it's nice that these drunk fucking morons cared enough to try, but they did nothing. The cat saved itself because that's what it was built to do. And then the humans stand there fucking fighting over it's body like a trophy.

When they're sober I'm sure these are good people but get fucking real. They did nothing for this animal. Stop patting yourself on the back for being biologically tied to a couple of drunk fucking idiots. Absolutely embarrassing.