• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I love these sorts of experiments.

The zombies tripping over corpses was well implemented. Also that zombies can't open doors without arms.

And the limbless zombie still able to wriggle over and bite you, that's neat.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Not sure why people are upset at the video as it probably shows an equal measure of both impressive and disappointing feats the game engine can cause.

Shooting zombie limbs off and watching them still try to inch towards you, zombies tripping over eachother, zombies being able to attack you on a ledge but struggle if you move backwards, being able to properly stop scripted attacks by using blockades. These all seem like great little details.

The limitations seem very understandable and anyone who's played videogames could take two seconds to think "this sucks, but I understand why this was done, probably to avoid glitches/unforseen issues." Better a door that can't be shot through than a zombie that somehow clips through it, blocks the door completely or gets stuck in it, and stops my progress completely. Same with the shelves/C4/etc. Capcom went for playability over realism and in these small contextual cases.

The game will be great, but I don't think we'll ever get a very intimate handcrafted enclosed experience that is fully 100% sandbox and interactive until we hit singularity levels of AI ability.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure why people are upset at the video as it probably shows an equal measure of both impressive and disappointing feats the game engine can cause.

Shooting zombie limbs off and watching them still try to inch towards you, zombies tripping over eachother, zombies being able to attack you on a ledge but struggle if you move backwards, being able to properly stop scripted attacks by using blockades. These all seem like great little details.

The limitations seem very understandable and anyone who's played videogames could take two seconds to think "this sucks, but I understand why this was done, probably to avoid glitches/unforseen issues." Better a door that can't be shot through than a zombie that somehow clips through it, blocks the door completely or gets stuck in it, and stops my progress completely. Same with the shelves/C4/etc. Capcom went for playability over realism and in these small contextual cases.

The game will be great, but I don't think we'll ever get a very intimate handcrafted enclosed experience that is fully 100% sandbox and interactive until we hit singularity levels of AI ability.
Agreed. The video sold me on the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing you have ladder invincibility and that zombies trip fairly easily is actually pretty useful for setups tbh. I'm glad someone put in the work to check.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Accusations of corporate shilling, numerous accumulated infractions
Capcom must love their loyal PR here in Era.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
this was a great video. Even some of the glitchier things (like the bookcase not falling over until Leon got out of the way) are more entertaining than annoying.

Shooting through the window is a little bit of a bummer. I purposely didn't do it in the demo thinking it would cause zombies to come in easier if I broke the window, so I let it be.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Had I not seen this video I wouldn't have tried the demo last night and the game would be on my "probably will be good, but not too interested" mental list right now, rather than the "pick up on sale" list it's on now.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cherry-picking.jpg

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
That glass and window stuff is a bummer. I would honestly expect a shotgun to even shoot through a door. Also don't like the not reacting zombies that play dead.

Other than that, I love a lot of stuff shown in this video. Especially the zombie physics how they stumble, fall, get dismembered etc.

I don't feel this is a negative video, it's just a bunch of fun experiments. Can't wait to play this game!

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's weird. It's not like the video is particularly judgmental in one sense or the other. It just shows a bunch of different cases.

It reminds me when people on this forum got mad at the Steam curator "Framerate police" for flagging all the games capped at 30 fps.
Some even voiced their malcontent explicitly "They don't even tell you if the game is good or not! They just slap on it a label saying it's capped at 30 fps!".
Ehr, dude, that was exactly the point..?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Being invincible on ladders is a weird one especially because of the changes to doors not being a safe transition from enemies anymore. Although maybe there aren't that many ladders in the game so it's only a minor issue. I can only think of a few more ladders from the original in the sewers but there aren't any enemies around them. Not being able to break windows is also weird but I can understand that from a design point of view. Other than that, the game looks fucking great. 3 days to go!

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the demo I finally saw this video and the only disappointg things for me are:
1-shoot through glasses
2-zombie not reacting to sounds

On the other side there are a lot of interesting things!