• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
maxresdefault.jpg

Platform: Xbox 1|SX
Release Date: Feb 10th, 2022
Price: MP is F2P, Campaign is $9.99 per Operation (Currently Operation Catalyst is free via Gamepass, there are only 2 Operations)
Store Page (With DLC Add-ons such as Campaign Chapters): https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/crossfirex/9PF24FN9BZ69/0010

About
The legendary PC franchise comes to Xbox in a fast-paced first-person shooter offering a variety of exhilarating multiplayer experiences and a cinematic campaign, developed in partnership with Remedy Entertainment, that explores the global conflict between the world's two most formidable private military factions. Play it for free, only on Xbox.

MP Gameplay Modes & No FOMO Battle pass

• Team Deathmatch - Rush straight into the action and outscore the enemy team by eliminating as many hostiles as you can
  • Search & Destroy - Plant or Defuse the bomb in this tactical mode that tests your teamwork skills.
  • Point Spectre - Capture enemy control points and eliminate hostiles to earn points for your team.
  • Spectre - An asymmetrical mode where one team plays as Spectres, harnessing the power of invisibility to infiltrate and plant the bomb while the opposing Mercenary team attempts to stop them.
  • Nano - Fend off a swarm of infected players in this intense survival mode.
Can I keep leveling my Battle Pass after the season ends?
Yes! You can select which Battle Pass (current or previous) to earn progress on via the in-game Battle Pass menu.

Campaign

A sprawling global conflict rages between the Global Risk and Black List mercenary factions in an immersive and cinematic single player experience that introduces players to the world of Crossfire through a series of action-packed stories told from both sides of the conflict.

EPISODIC STORYTELLING
Play through an epic two-part series of 'Operations' - each telling a unique side of the story from the perspectives of both Global Risk and Black List mercenaries amidst an on-going war.

DEFY THE ODDS
Master the art of war through use of the 'Combat Breaker' system - hone your adrenaline, causing time to slow down as you line up your next shot.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
"The legendary pc franchise....." that we can't play the campaign for on pc? Sucks but still interested to see if it's actually any good

Edit: Misunderstood because gamepass had me confused. Thanks

Last edited:

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
This game looks... super uninteresting.

I'm not a big fan of Remedy but it looks like they really shit the bed with this one. Jeez.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
EPISODIC STORYTELLING

Is really off-putting to me, I'll play your game when it's done

That said, impressions don't seem too favourable so maybe it's a skip

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've played a worse-feeling multiplayer since the days of the early Xbox 360. Really only here for the campaign though, so fingers crossed that it at least controls better than the PvP since it'll be running on Northlight and maybe has its own feel.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I spend about 20 minutes with this (Campaign doesn't work for me) and the multiplayer is super janky, the UI is a mess and overall it is pretty dire.

Pretty incredible that somebody thought that UI is fine for consoles. You even have to move the mouse pointer to click buttons.

Maybe the campaign is worth it. I dunno.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not too interested in the MP. Have hopes for the campaign but not expecting anything to Control/Alan Wake level.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
No reviews yet but positive hands-on impressions of the campaign from Easy Allies:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
EPISODIC STORYTELLING

Is really off-putting to me, I'll play your game when it's done

That said, impressions don't seem too favourable so maybe it's a skip

I mean, I don't think it's incomplete on release?
You have two campaigns, one free on GP, one paid. Nothing more for now, but nothing announced either, it doesn't say more chapters will finish the story later.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I spend about 20 minutes with this (Campaign doesn't work for me) and the multiplayer is super janky, the UI is a mess and overall it is pretty dire.

Pretty incredible that somebody thought that UI is fine for consoles. You even have to move the mouse pointer to click buttons.

You can use the D-pad for many selections, so you don't have to move the tiny slow mouse cursor. Not all of them though. It's certainly messy.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, I don't think it's incomplete on release?
You have two campaigns, one free on GP, one paid. Nothing more for now, but nothing announced either, it doesn't say more chapters will finish the story later.

You might be right, I was just going from this from the OP

"Price: MP is F2P, Campaign is $9.99 per chapter (Currently Chapter 1 is free via Gamepass)"

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Catalyst after 1,5 hours:

It's not that bad, it tries a little bit to be Call of Duty (not with much success), but otherwise not that bad in my opinion. I don't have a problem with direction, I like shooting, so it basically feels like a longer action movie for now. (Graphics: In some parts it looks good, in others it looks like it was about 10 years ago.)

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I would love to play a COD-like MP with a decent TTK and I believe CrossfireX can deliver on that. But in its` current form, it`s a little rough and the controller/camera issues are irritating.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
You can use the D-pad for many selections, so you don't have to move the tiny slow mouse cursor. Not all of them though. It's certainly messy.
Fun thing is, sometimes it doesn't register the mouse thingy for some reason. I had to scroll through the privacy policy 3 times before it hit me that I had selected 'cancel' by pressing A, because that button was highlighted, while my cursor was over the Confirm button.

Also lots of yank in the menu's. Game itself runs okay for me in multiplayer.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Fun thing is, sometimes it doesn't register the mouse thingy for some reason. I had to scroll through the privacy policy 3 times before it hit me that I had selected 'cancel' by pressing A, because that button was highlighted, while my cursor was over the Confirm button.

I did the same :)

Annoyingly accepting the ToS seemed to require that I kept holding down on the analog stick, while simultaneously moving the selection with the D-pad, before accepting on the A button. Like I said, messy.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll get caught up in the Crossfire, CROSSFIRE, CROSSSSFIYAHHHHHHHH

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The UI is horrible.
There's basically zero MP content. Like 1 map per mode, with very few modes to begin with.
This bit is inexcusable.

I really like the "Classic" mode, however. Looks great and plays like an arcadey CS, which is fine.
The "Modern" mode I don't understand, ADS switches off if you don't go full-auto for whatever reason. This has to be a bug.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So did I understand correctly that there's no achievements for either campaign and they are all multiplayer based? Because that's pretty odd lol

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
What is it with the lackluster FPS lately. 2042 massive disappointment, Vanguard more like vanilla and now this?

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Sheesh…I thought Insurgency released in rough shape on console, but this is very rough after a couple hours. There is something here, it just needs more gameplay polish and bug fixing.

I like the Classic mode best as it's the closest we will get to a nice looking Counter Strike on these consoles…

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel so bad for Remedy. They are so, so much better than this shit. As for Smilegate and the multiplayer, don't even get me started. Genuinely embarrassing.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Had this on my Maybe list when I saw trailers at the last Xbox show. I guess I should just take it off.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I had high hopes for crossfire multi, I'm itching for a counterstrike game on consoles.

Hasn't the multiplayer been available for years? Why so unpolished and lacking in content.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Were they forced to work on this?
Not that I know of, but it's pretty clear that this was not given the time, resources and budget it needed to turn out well.

Coming off of the massive success of Control which put their name back in the spotlight, this feels like a rushed work-for-hire gig that you'd make if you just really, really needed to keep the lights on. Having their name restored to it's once-prestigious pedigree, only to be followed up by this whopper, is genuinely deflating. None of the Remedy charm or style is here. None of their impressive technical prowess on display. It's just an hour and a half long Call of Duty rip-off that two generations ago would have popped up in a bargain bin. Granted, I've only touched the first part, so maybe the second campaign is better (lol) but this whole thing is dire.

Smilegate made an absolute lemon with the multiplayer portion, Remedy made a terrible campaign that plays like that Duty Calls marketing stunt that was made a decade ago to promote Bulletstorm. Just a total waste of their talent and time.