• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
(Credit to WarRock for the OT title!)

qjM0Tyc.png

Official Site
Developer: Radical Fish Games
Publisher: Deck13
Release Date: July 9th, 2020
Price: $19.99, £17.99
Platforms: Switch,
PS4, Xbox One

xOxA3EE.gif

What is CrossCode?

CrossCode is a retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future, combining 16-bit SNES-style graphics with butter-smooth physics, a fast-paced combat system, and engaging puzzle mechanics, served with a gripping sci-fi story. You follow a player called Lea as she logs into CrossWorlds - a fictional MMO of the distant future. Lea is not your average player though. She hast lost her memory and is (literally) mute. Now the only way to regain her memory is to play CrossWorlds, discovering all the places the game has to offer and meeting other players on the way - hoping they won't mistake her for a bot. As Lea's memory returns, a deep mystery surrounding CrossWorlds will be unraveled - and you may come to understand why a mute player is stuck in this game in the first place. CrossCode combines features of the Action-Adventure and RPG genre, delivering both, a great variety of puzzles and an engaging, fast-paced combat system with plenty of options for character growth.

0-00-ice-punch.gif
AIFINCr.gif

Physical & Collectors versions:

r72BccL.jpg

"There is more to announce: We have partnered up with ININ Games to release physical editions of CrossCode. The game will be available for Switch and PS4 in all major retail stores in Europe and North America starting from August 28 2020. And for those who want to throw an extra amount of money at the game, preorders of the exclusive and limited SteelBook® and Collector's Edition are available starting today only at Strictly Limited Games."

0-licking-quest.gif
0-exterior-completed.gif

Media:
CrossCode Review Thread

2-JUMP.png

1-equip-updated.png

1.5-new-schneider-face.png

2-treeeee-2.png

2-parallax+tree.png

4-quest-hub.png

4-upgrade.png

F.A.Q's:

Will the game be available on Xbox Game Pass?
Yes, the PC version is currently available and the console version will be available day one.
Source

Is there any content exclusive to this version?
"Each console will have its own exclusive quest with its own little dungeon and bossfight. And since we thought that our loyal PC playerbase might feel left out: You'll get a free update with your own exclusive quest as well! And who knows? Maybe these quests are part of something bigger…"

Source

That OST is fantastic, mind sharing a link?
I know, right? Here ya go: (Original) https://interovgm.com/album/crosscode-original-game-soundtrack
And here as well: (EX Version) https://interovgm.com/album/crosscode-original-soundtrack-ex

How is the performance on the switch version?
As mentioned in the review thread, from what we have seen so far the current version of CrossCode on Switch
has some issues such as laggy menus, sound glitches, and frame drops in certain sections of the game (such as in towns filled with NPC's). Currently a patch for said menu lag and sound issues is currently planned for launch week.

How do the platforms break down in terms of resolution?
"Full resolution on all consoles aka 4k on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, 1080p on PS4, Xbox One and docked Switch, 1280x720 undocked. But that doesn't mean the game is non-pixelated, we just use all the pixels available to make those big pixels as sharp as possible."

Source

Last edited:

Ronald_Raygun

Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Great OT! I can't wait to play this on my switch lite. In the hellscape that is 2020, this is one of the few things I've been looking forward to.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, shit. Forgot this was day one on Gamepass. Guess I know what I'm playing this week.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Review Here. Issues with framerate in towns, menus are laggy but they are being patched according to devs. Mostly affects Switch.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personal recommendation:

Tweak the puzzle settings so their timings are a bit slower. This game has a lot of puzzles that require precision and timing and they can sometimes be a little unforgiving.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I never got very far in it (maybe only a few hours) but man did I love the world and atmosphere. Switch is the perfect opportunity for this game again, very excited to buy it a 2nd time! :P

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit Gamepass????? Heck yeah, still might grab a Switch copy as well. Can't wait to dive in.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Tried out the first hour on PC Gamepass this weekend and couldn't put it down. Wanted to keep going but prefer to play on Switch.

Really hoping the Switch port is solid.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered for Switch, thanks for the heads up. Been looking forward to trying this game out.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is just excellent, although the heavy use of the bumpers partially ruined one Xbox controller. Still great!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
*Spits out apple juice*

You said ACTION RPG!?!? OH FUCK. Ive ways heard the name of this game and ignored it for some reason but now you have my attention. Wow the game looks so fast. And the story sounds pretty cool too.

I also have never heard of radical fish games before.

Edit: *spits out orange juice*

You say it's on Gamepass too? On PC!?!! Im gonna download from my phone right now.
*SPITS OUT CRANBERRY JUICE*

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
This is one of my favorite games I've played this year, and I've played a lot. Highly recommended.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I played a tiny bit of this on PC and it didn't immediately grab me so I dropped it. I seem to remember the opening areas being a bit tedious - like the enemies were taking too long to kill. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

I'm definitely open to giving it another try.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
People should NOT sleep on this game, it's amazing value for the price and definitely one of the best games to be released this year. It has so many systems and features and they're all so fleshed out that it's basically a pixel art game with the polish and scope of a good AAA.

PS: what's up with Sony not having preorders for any games lately? It was the same with SpongeBob Rehydrated.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Not replaying it on console (beat it on PC), but just chiming in to say that this is a hidden gem of a game. Highly recommend if you are any kind of RPG fan. Amazing game.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Oh didn't realise a physical edition was coming. I'll just wait for that then, got plenty of other games to play so no rush.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Grabbed this on the Steam Summer Sale. I'd first heard about it (and last thought about it) while it was still in early access, 2 years ago I believe? The news of the impending console release prompted me to look into the Steam version again now that I have a gaming laptop, and I'm glad I'm finally playing it!

Game is great! I know pixel art is a well-tread area but I think this game does some truly amazing things with its pixel art (some of the "cutscenes" just look absolutely phenomenal), and it's nice and snappy in controls. I'm finding the early vibes of the story and characters to be extremely charming, though I'm not far enough to really, really give a robust opinion on that. The game is shaping up to be truly special for me, though.

Judging by the hour counts people have on their reviews on Steam, seems like this is gonna be a pretty lengthy and robust game, but I have Game Pass and might give it a go on Xbox as well later on down the line.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I played a tiny bit of this on PC and it didn't immediately grab me so I dropped it. I seem to remember the opening areas being a bit tedious - like the enemies were taking too long to kill. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

I'm definitely open to giving it another try.

Just shooting and slicing will give you a hard time, specially against enemies that go underground. The break system must be used to speed up things. Usually If you attack at the right moment, enemies Will break, thats when you go all out.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Will pick it on Switch in a while.
I'll get it digital if I can't find a fair priced physical here (or at all).

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
Finally! I've been waiting forever.Sandlot.gif to pick this up on the Switch. I have some time off this week and I'm ready to jump in!

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Such a good game. Amazing music, characters, gameplay, general atmosphere and vibe, puzzles... it has it all.

And the sheer emotion and heart the game gets across with its pixel-art portraits is incredible

Oct 26, 2017
Review Here. Issues with framerate in towns, menus are laggy but they are being patched according to devs. Mostly affects Switch.
Damn it, I remember them saying they had performance bottlenecks due to the ports using an interpreter for html5 rather than buliding from scratch. Never finished the PC version once the switch port was announced but it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer to make sure these issues are actually ironed out before double dipping.