• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
You technically own both. You'd rather they block you from accessing something you paid for?
It should default to the PS5 version. What they've done here is kind of silly. Have it default to the PS5 version and go into options if you want the PS4 version. I mean, who really wants the PS4 version on the PS5!?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This would've made for a smoother day one experience.

Their cross-gen system is basically… cross-gen. It's not hard to understand.
I mean, if they had to add in prompts like this it clearly wasn't as easy to understand as it could have been. I'm not sure why Era has this bizarre instinct to argue that the next gen upgrade system on PS5 could have been handled better

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Incredible this wasn't in there at day 1. Baffling how easy it was for me to accidently download both PS4 and PS5 versions of a game. Glad I don't have bandwidth caps.

At least it was fixed quickly!

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Why even give the option? It blows my mind how badly Sony fucked this up. Just load the PS5 version if it's installing on a...PS5.
Some games (like Bugsnax) have a poorly optimised PS5 version to the point that the PS4 Pro version runs at 60FPS (at a lower res) on a PS5 which IMO is preferable to the PS5 version which targets 4K at an inconsistent framerate.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why this needs to be a thing.

If you own a PS5 it should just download the PS5 version so you can only play the PS5 version. This is so stupid. It should be automated for the best version by default.

Or, why would anyone using a PS5 want to play the PS4 version?

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, why would someone want to play the PS4 version if they have the PS5? Is it a save file issue not being usable on the PS5?
I bought 2k21 Mamba forever edition on PS5

The edition also came with a digital code for PS4 version.

Here's the catch ps5 version is different from ps4 version and cross play don't work since they are different games.

It's good to have Incase I want to hop on the PS4 version to play some games with my friends that don't have a PS5 next gen NBA 2k.

It's not rocket science people always gotta find something wrong.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I don't understand why this needs to be a thing.

If you own a PS5 it should just download the PS5 version so you can only play the PS5 version. This is so stupid. It should be automated for the best version by default.

Or, why would anyone using a PS5 want to play the PS4 version?
Read all the posts... There are plenty of good reasons given.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
They really should just default you to the PS5 version for any cross gen game if you're on a PS5 and put the previous-gen selection in a menu. There are reasons for getting the previous gen version but for an overwhelming majority they'll only just want the PS5 version.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That has to be one of the dumbest responses to this, wow.

How about something like FIFA, for example, where most of the community is on the PS4 version and almost no one playing the PS5 one? Should I lose access to the PS4 version if I bought it, and was playing it on my PS5 up until the next gen version came out?

That's pretty much why FIFA 21 doesn't use smart delivery on XSX. In that case, you should get access to both SKUs.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It seems so yeah, here a guy who just bought Dirt5 and it nows gives you the option to download the PS5 or the PS4 version.

Maybe it's not working properly yet because it is still rolling out?

Might be game level rather than system level. Which would mean other games might take a bit to get this feature.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
For downloading a cross gen game for the first time this is awesome...but why would they ask which you would want to play? Why would you play the PS4 version if you have a PS5? You would think it would automatically play the PS5 version if you are on a PS5.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
For downloading a cross gen game for the first time this is awesome...but why would they ask which you would want to play? Why would you play the PS4 version if you have a PS5? You would think it would automatically play the PS5 version if you are on a PS5.
Speedrunners might. Games that don't support cross-generation MP.

It's simply nice that they give the option.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem to fix the weirder problem with their setup for this, which is that if you have both installed, it's hard to see that. Even in your library it will only show the one you've currently switched to. They should just show them as separate things, especially in cases where they're not just a port - Spider-Man PS4 and Remastered on PS5 still do this and it was super confusing.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There are outlier situations where someone might want to specifically install and play the PS4 version, but I agree that if you put a PS4 disc in a PS5 it should always just default to installing and playing the PS5 version. The times where you would actively pursue the last-gen version are so rare that it should be the method you need to go extra steps for

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm surprised this wasn't there at launch, but better late than never.

Last edited:

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This has probably been answered but when I get a ps5 and install got or tlou2 and select the ps5 version does that create a separate trophy list?

I have the plat in got and just need to collect some more coins for the plat in tlou2. How does that work? Are the saves partioned off to my PS4 if I select ps5?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been answered but when I get a ps5 and install got or tlou2 and select the ps5 version does that create a separate trophy list?

I have the plat in got and just need to collect some more coins for the plat in tlou2. How does that work? Are the saves partioned off to my PS4 if I select ps5?
Neither of those games have PS5 versions

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

The games you mentioned don't have a PS5 version; you'll be playing the PS4 (Pro) version in BC-mode. So you'll be using the PS4 saves.
Saves are partioned as well between platforms.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one reads threads anymore. Just hot take after hot take to tear down a simple feature that helps clear up cross-gen issues for the end user. I haven't had any problems but some people on here have so this helps.

edit: It's so daunting to press X! /s

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Like people said, no PS5 versions of those games. GoT and Days Gone in particular run the PS4 Pro version, but with an unlocked framerate, so they run at 60fps.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read all the posts... There are plenty of good reasons given.
They aren't good reasons, just artificial limitations brought on by pubs. No reason for FIFA not to share player base across single platforms, seems like EA want to charge for next gen after their grace period has passed. It's no coincidence that Activation, Take Two and EA have opted out of SmartDelivery to provide a worse offering for consumers on Xbox side (and MS not allowing them to charge via that method). But this is a thread about PS5, and promoting the user to choose doesn't seem elegant at all.

Why couldn't these next gen versions degrade to PS4 mode for VR ? All 5% of VR owners could be catered for, just doesn't add up

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Sony can push OS level updates now without needing a full firmware update which is pretty handy.

My PS5 shows it is on version 20.02-02.30.05 and I get the prompt when launching a PS4 game which has a PS5 upgrade.

The original version of this firmware is listed as 20.02-02.30.00 on the support web page. Presumably they would phase release these kind of updates which would explain why some people are not seeing this yet.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is good, but there's still the bigger problem of it automatically installing the PS4 version when you have the PS4 disc in, even though you've already downloaded the PS5 version. And it happens every time you turn the PS5 on, as long as you have the disc in. I hate it.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is good, but there's still the bigger problem of it automatically installing the PS4 version when you have the PS4 disc in, even though you've already downloaded the PS5 version. And it happens every time you turn the PS5 on, as long as you have the disc in. I hate it.

I haven't had that issue with this. I've only had BL3 in the disc drive so far though. It never installed the PS4 version. Prompted me right away if I wanted to download PS5 version.

The OP title says 'play', not 'download'.

When you download I don't mind a prompt to confirm the version you want.

I imagine you only get the prompt if you have both versions downloaded already. Which many reasons as to why someone would want multiple versions downloaded to play are given throughout the thread. Hitman 3 is coming with PS4/5 versions so you can play in VR which is only available on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean I can delete PS4 Dirt 5 and it will stay deleted?

edit: I have the PS4 disc version

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
There are outlier situations where someone might want to specifically install and play the PS4 version, but I agree that if you put a PS4 disc in a PS5 it should always just default to installing and playing the PS5 version. The times where you would actively pursue the last-gen version are so rare that it should be the method you need to go extra steps for
I am sure with a few more firmware updates, these things should automatically install the pS5 version if you are on a PS5. Hopefully that is something that comes early next year.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Do we know if this is because of a new/recent update? As far as I know the latest system software version is Version 20.02-02.30.00 from around December 9th.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Good, then if we're using a DualShock 4 when we choose the PS5 version we should be able to keep using it to play the PS5 version with it. Fix that too Sony. There's no viable technical reason to lock that out.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, why would someone want to play the PS4 version if they have the PS5? Is it a save file issue not being usable on the PS5?
Why would you want to play a PS4 version when there is a PS5 version of the same available?

I have Mortal Kombat and if I'm playing online, I much prefer the PS4 version because the DualShock 4 feels much better to use. If I'm just having the AI grind towers, I'll run the PS5 version for loading. Both have their save info on WB's server, so the important stuff is not lost.

But we wouldn't need to keep a PS4 version around if Sony hadn't blocked DS4 use in PS5 games for no reason other than selling more DualSense controllers.

There are also multi-player games where people have extra DS4s but don't want to be forced to buy multiple $70 controllers just for local play sessions. In this thread, we have people defending this bonehead policy saying, "just play the PS4 version if you want to use the DS4". So, those are a few reasons.

Ideally, we shouldn't want to, but Sony's handling controller support poorly.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd just like the PS4 disc version of FIFA 21 to stop installing on my PS5 every time I put the disc in to play now I have the PS5 upgrade digitally downloaded.