• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is scarier

• Crocodile

Votes: 196 36.2%
  • Shark

Votes: 136 25.1%
  • I'm Australian, so none of them.

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Jellyfish are the real monsters

Votes: 55 10.1%
  • Hippos are even worse

Votes: 128 23.6%

• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
hqdefault.jpg

Crocodiles don't give a fuck, they will rip you to shreds, your dog, your cat, your cow, or you. Whats that in the river? Oh just a log, WRONG and now your dead

Sharks on the other hand, are just as scared of you as you are to them, you can fight them off easier and live, except maybe a great white. Also most sharks arent even dangerous, some are even cute. The only cute crocodile is a baby one.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I give sharks the edge because swimming makes you super vulnerable. Crocs are scary as shit, but if you zig zag you'll be alright. They are also pretty dang lazy if they're not hungry

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Crocodiles are terrifying and I do agree with the thread premise, but honestly, all aquatic predators are nightmare fuel.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone familiar with crocodiles would agree with you. Nile, mugger, and saltwater crocodiles kill a thousand people a year.

A shark bites you because it's not sure if you're food. A crocodile bites you because it knows you're food. Its ancestors hunted yours.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't swim so crocodiles can at least snatch my ass.

Anyway hippos are more frightening than both, those fuckers will chase you down.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Now imagine if Crocodiles could also run on land at 15-20 MPH's, they would be the dominate species on Earth.

default-1464360350-98-galloping-crocodiles-ate-dinosaurs-in-north-africa.jpg

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Dived with many different kinds of shark, they are nothing to be afraid of. Even if I saw a great white, if it was not a baited situation while I'd be nervous it probably wouldn't be too dangerous.

If I saw a salt water croc I would shit my pants and gtfo as fast as possible

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Sharks have really been given a bad rep because of movies. Crocs are a lot more dangerous.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I give sharks the edge because swimming makes you super vulnerable. Crocs are scary as shit, but if you zig zag you'll be alright. They are also pretty dang lazy if they're not hungry
I'm confused as hell, you saying if you swim in zig zags you can out swim a croc? Are you saying you wouldn't be fucked in a river of crocodiles or you saying sharks are that powerful that even if you zig zag on land they'll use their legs and run you down......

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
you can hold a crocodilians jaws shut with a rubber band. Sharks will slice you open, crocs will try and grab hold of you and drown you.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
My ignorance with crocs is showing as I voted for Sharks. The idea of being deep in the ocean and getting mauled by a shark horrifies me.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as hell, you saying if you swim in zig zags you can out swim a croc? Are you saying you wouldn't be fucked in a river of crocodiles or you saying sharks are that powerful that even if you zig zag on land they'll use their legs and run you down......
what? I'm saying on land croc, why would I go swimming if a river could contain a croc? I'd be fucked. Sharks are scarier to me because the ocean is way less risky but leaves you super vulnerable. I understand crocs are more dangerous, but they're easier to avoid in day to day life. I go to the beach a lot

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019

Zig-zagging is a myth. You should run in a straight line. (Some sources I read said the straight line should be at an angle from the initial attack, so the crocodile would have to decide whether it was worth changing directions, since that takes a lot of effort.)

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
This. The scariness of sharks comes only half from sharks themselves and the other half from floating in the water and being unable to move quickly at all.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Zig-zagging is a myth. You should run in a straight line. (Some sources I read said the straight line should be at an angle from the initial attack, so the crocodile would have to decide whether it was worth changing directions, since that takes a lot of effort.)
Good to know, next time Im chased by a crocodile here in suburban Florida

Alligators ain't got shit on crocs luckily

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So billionaires totally let them fight and share the vids on secret billionaire social media, right?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what? I'm saying on land croc, why would I go swimming if a river could contain a croc? I'd be fucked. Sharks are scarier to me because the ocean is way less risky but leaves you super vulnerable. I understand crocs are more dangerous, but they're easier to avoid in day to day life. I go to the beach a lot
I would probably argue that the animal which has sub 100 annual attacks is easier to avoid than the animal with sub 1000 and in some cases lives within the only source of fresh water for miles. However I do see why some people would be more scared of sharks your more likely to encounter them than sharks personally .

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I will gladly swim, snorkel and scuba where I might encounter a large shark, but I wouldn't dare stick a single toe in murky water that might have a croc in it

Sharks are incredibly easy to avoid if you follow a few simple safety rules

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably argue that the animal which has sub 100 annual attacks is easier to avoid than the animal with sub 1000 and in some cases lives within the only source of fresh water for miles. However I do see why some people would be more scared of sharks your more likely to encounter them than sharks personally .
The American crocodile is rare and has barely any documented fatalities, so in my day to day life, I'm more likely to be mauled by a squirrel than a crocodile

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen many videos of scuba divers swimming with sharks, I've seen nothing with people swimming with crocodiles

That tells me all I need to know

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Crocodiles are ambush predators and are closer to where I live, so they are scarier to me.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
The vilification of sharks is kinda tragic and puts them further at risk with endangerment efforts. Most sharks are completely harmless and most of the ones that aren't are waaaay more scared of you than you are of them.

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't crocs fairly chill unless you disturb them or they're actively hunting? They're still scarier than sharks though.

As far as land animals go though, I'd say chimps are probably far scarier. They're fast, strong, and smart. They're also vicious as hell and cannibalistic to boot. A chimp will intentionally tear your face off just to hurt you before he starts dismembering and eating you.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The overwhelming majority of shark attacks are accidents. Notice how more often bodies are recovered and how often people are saved. Dumb things think swimmers are seals, chomp on them, then go "Osht, I'm sorry."

Crocs, however, are intent on eating people; they don't give a fuck.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm not saying they're not dangerous, but sharks are more "docile pet" than they are "mindless meat eater.". They're actually goddamn smart and naturally curious, which is why they've survived for so long.

Meanwhile Crocs during their yearly feeding frenzy will literally eat anything that moves. Not to mention barrel rolling your ass to death.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah probably crocs.

Like, I don't think crocs come in just to bite and swim away which often happens in shark attacks. If a crock attacks a human I'd imagine they're going to try to take you down to eat you, right?

Although shark attacks are pretty scary. We go to Cape Cod which has a high number of great whites swimming just off shore these days.

boston.cbslocal.com

PHOTOS: Great White Shark Spotted 'Less Than 10 Feet From Shore' At Cape Cod Beach

Experts say it's a good reminder of how close sharks can come to the beach.

This was a couple weeks ago, probably ~10 feet from shore.

shark-photo-Erin-Kulis.jpg