• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really disliked this game for many of the reasons already stated in this thread.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
That would have been the "good game design solution," yes.

But there's a workaround and it's called cloud save. It allows you to restore your save file to an earlier point which wasn't possible in 2017 when the game released. If you've bought the expansion pass for XC2, you'll get a bunch of additional legendary core crystals which in turn makes it even easier to draw all rare blades (including those exclusive to new game+) without ever needing to farm any crystals. You'll be more than fine by using merely those that you get along the ride. Naturally, it will probably take a few reloads because it's a luck-based system.

If you don't pay for NSO, you might still be eligible for a 1-week-trail, so the cloud save abuse can be performed without having to pay for it.

No one should have to use cloud saves and buy a season pass to get the last rare blades after well over 150 hours of play.

The gacha was okay imo for the first run through since there were some guaranteed drops and along with story and quest blades and the random nature it makes for different playthroughs.

But yeah, by the time you clear the game and are into the superboss territories and shit you shouldn't be sitting there rolling for blades.

It took me just 3 hours of farming superbosses to get all the rare blades in the game.

In Xenoblade 1 it took me well over 10 hours of farming random enemies that I had to look up on the wiki and abusing savescumming over and over and over to get all the advanced art books.

And Xenoblade X, well...

Give me the gacha system any day.

Xenoblade X is just grindy poorly managed garbage. It is the worst offender of this shit and the reason I never bothered with super bosses.

Jan 30, 2021
No one should have to use cloud saves and buy a season pass to get the last rare blades after well over 150 hours of play.

The gacha was okay imo for the first run through since there were some guaranteed drops and along with story and quest blades and the random nature it makes for different playthroughs.

But yeah, by the time you clear the game and are into the superboss territories and shit you shouldn't be sitting there rolling for blades.
I agree that cloud save abuse shouldn't be necessary. I was merely pointing out that there's a way to reduce the frustration of the gacha system greatly and that's something that the majority of players isn't even aware of.

The expansion pass isn't necessary, it's just that when you have it, you get 20-25 legendary core crystals as a gift, so restoring your save file via the cloud doesn't need to be done as often because you have more resources to work with.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, I suppose you got me there.

Still, the whole mandatory side quest aspect of Torna works for the context of the narrative even if it feels jarring or cumbersome for some people.

I have no opinion either way, I haven't played it. I just found it rather funny (and rather ResetEra) to have a post claiming never to have found anyone that dislikes Torna, alongside another in the very same page saying it's the worst of the Xeno game. :)

Nov 17, 2017
It took me just 3 hours of farming superbosses to get all the rare blades in the game.

In Xenoblade 1 it took me well over 10 hours of farming random enemies that I had to look up on the wiki and abusing savescumming over and over and over to get all the advanced art books.

And Xenoblade X, well...

Give me the gacha system any day.

Xenoblade X is pretty awful with grinding but this really only applies to the post game when you're trying to make the most optimal builds to crush superbosses. The gacha in Xenoblade 2 is something you have to engage with throughout the main game. It doesn't really compare imo.

There's also the fact that in X, you're grinding for gear while in Xenoblade 2 you're grinding for actual party members. At least in X I'm able to use mostly every character and art even if their stats are the prime highest level they could possibly ever be. The true equivalent would be if you had to grind to unlock H.B. for your party but you kept getting random BLADE recruits instead.

And that's without throwing field skills into the mix... X's grinding is worth criticizing but Xenoblade 2 is far worse in a different way.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Xenoblade X is pretty awful with grinding but this really only applies to the post game when you're trying to make the most optimal builds to crush superbosses. The gacha in Xenoblade 2 is something you have to engage with throughout the main game. It doesn't really compare imo.
Actually most blade grinding is post game, for the main story the game gives you all the field skills you will need to complete story skill checks with the main story blades outside of the element ones which all common blades have so if you aren't a fool and got rid of all your commons you should have no issue beating the game at all. you can actually beat the game using only common blades. so yeah in my opinion it is the same to compare. The idea that you need every blade before post game and you should never use or have commons is a fallacy. It's why in the op i called out only optional field skills not main story ones because they are legitimately to me a non issue in the main story
There's also the fact that in X, you're grinding for gear while in Xenoblade 2 you're grinding for actual party members. At least in X I'm able to use mostly every character and art even if their stats are the prime highest level they could possibly ever be. The true equivalent would be if you had to grind to unlock H.B. for your party but you kept getting random BLADE recruits instead.
blades are gear they are characters as well but they are gear, they aren't the same as hb or mia
And that's without throwing field skills into the mix... X's grinding is worth criticizing but Xenoblade 2 is far worse in a different way.

x has field skills as well

Jan 30, 2021
Actually most blade grinding is post game, for the main story the game gives you all the field skills you will need to complete story skill checks with the main story blades outside of the element ones which all common blades have so if you aren't a fool and got rid of all your commons you should have no issue beating the game at all. you can actually beat the game using only common blades. so yeah in my opinion it is the same to compare. The idea that you need every blade before post game and you should never use or have commons is a fallacy. It's why in the op i called out only optional field skills not main story ones because they are legitimately to me a non issue in the main story
They aren't a real issue outside of the main story either. No matter how the dice rolls in the gacha system, you are pretty much guaranteed to get a good spread of the field skills unique to rare blades. One thing that many players probably haven't used much is the option to dispatch rare blades on mercenary missions which will fill out their affinity charts automatically for the most part.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I somehow enjoyed this game overall and beat both the main game and Torna, but I can't exactly explain why that is as the list of things I was annoyed by or outright hated is quite long and touches upon pretty much every aspect of the game. Torna was definitely a marked improvement, but even still for me to be excited about XBC3 I basically want/need some drastic changes to so much of the gameplay and overall approach to characters and game design.

Nov 17, 2017
blades are gear they are characters as well but they are gear, they aren't the same as hb or mia

x has field skills as well
I'm not saying you need every Blade before post game. I'm just saying the amount of generic blades you get during the main game compared to the rare ones is not satisfying. I know Blades are technically gear in a sense but they're more like party members because they come with unique personalities and special moves. So I don't get the same feeling of getting an equip item that boosts a stat than when I unlock an actual character. I don't think you can really equate them.

To go back to your first point, one of the big reasons I play Xenoblade games is to explore sprawling and interesting worlds. I know that for the most part, you don't have to worry about field skills halting your main story progress but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about all the sidequests and side areas that are blocked off by ridiculous field skill checks. I'm not just trying to blaze through the story to the next cutscenes. What happened to Xenoblade exploration?

And that connects very well to the field skills in X. I'm aware X had them but they were handled 100 times better. First off, you never were blocked from an area because you didn't have a high enough field skill. So it didn't impede exploration. Also field skills only were used for treasure spots. You didn't accept a quest and suddenly the game was like "sorry you need x level field skill to do this quest." Finally, there were only 3 field skills in X and they were always active. Xenoblade 2 has a ton of different field skills and they are bound to specific blades and not always active meaning you have to keep going into the menu and shifting around your party composition just to clear a field skill check. Doesn't help that the game will play long PokƩmon HM-esqe animations for each individual skill check. X also only asked for one field skill for any single treasure while 2 will often have several different field skills required for one thing. The game also likes to do this shitty thing where it will say you need level 2 something to get past an obstacle. You'll get level 2 and then walk a little and find the same obstacle but now you need level 3. Sometimes it will even do it again but jump to like level 5. Like what's the point? Just make one obstacle at level 5 so I don't keep coming back thinking I can get to whatever it's keeping me from exploring. There's just no equating how the two games handled Field Skills.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
The costumes are terrible. I guess the developers way of making your stealth grind on the game is by making your path obscure so you're constantly walking in circles and have to fight creatures over and over again. Decent game otherwise but I had to check YouTube a couple times just to fully grasp the battle system.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the cutscene direction was really great for one of these style games.

Hated actually playing it though. I wish that patch with the difficulty setting that trivialized the combat came sooner, I only had a couple chapters left to go. Folks that can extract fun out of that battle system are a special bunch.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I dislike using the word "gacha" when there's no real money involved. It's a randomization system like every other RPG, where some weapons are rarer than others.

Edit: Oh, this thread was bumped from nearly a year ago...

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
Echoing earlier posters here by saying I really, really preferred Torna's combat. Base game's wasn't terrible but it wasn't very intuitive to dive into, while Blades were just... hanging out next to you aside from specials. The dynamism you got as a natural consequence of letting Blades get right into the fray in tag team style was just too fun.

Overall I'm not a big fan of XBC2, while I still consider 1 a masterpiece or something close to one. I enjoyed Future Connected in the DE, and if that's a glimpse into what Monolith Soft has in store next, I'd be happy.

Oh wow this thread is pretty old lol