• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
part 3 of my 4 part thread

This is probably my third favorite xenogame under saga 3 and X, but as with X it does have issues that i have with it, which i will go over

Story:
There are only a few issues i have with the story because the characters and story have been integrated and in my opinion well done, the characters have agency and character arcs no sharla and fiora's here (well except in dlc), plus every rare blade has their own mini story arc to develop them some done really well others(kora) not so much. The biggest issue with the story is the slow start and the slow development of rex as the main character. The plot does take a slow start to really get the ball rolling, Unlike say one and x it doesn't have this big hook to keep the momentum going after the first exciting action instead uses mini conflicts that while ties into the larger conflict. It's not like colony 9 to reyn nearly dying to xord. when we get to that point it till the end of in my opinion chapter 3. And then there is rex, now rex isn't terrible just he is an early luffy in a world that is very pessimistic, and because he really develops over the course of the main plot so his development is SLOW and looks like he doesn't at all while he does. He sticks out like a sore thumb in cast that may have an entire chapter or multiple chapters dedicated to their character arc. as a result you see more of the shounen influences to him where for a character like say shulk its more subtle.

Gameplay:
I only have 3 issues the slow start, the optional field skills, and the gatcha. The the slow start is pretty self explanatory, the game forces you to unlock a lot of the combat options like having all three arts available at the start and the ability to switch to all 3 equippable blades until you get either the requisite skill or complete a certain story respectably, but as a result the combat feels like its on a constant feel like your learning and combat gets faster and faster to the point i felt like i was killing superbosses faster than i ever was in the other 2 games in it's more action oriented gameplay. And yeah the optional field skills and gatcha weren't great because the drop rate was so low to get the blades with the required non element skill to get them it felt like game padding which it was but i understand the idea of having each playthrough be unique but after the main story is over and you want all blades it became a grind. I have no issue with the nonoptional fieldskills because the nonoptional blades meet all the non element requirements, and i would already have enough common blades to meet the element requirements.

Sexualization:
What can i say that hasn't already been said? its bad. The only thing i can say is that after xenoblade 1, x, 2, xenosaga, xenogears, endless frontier, project cross zone, splatoon and the octolings, and breath of the wild, I've accepted this is what monolith is and i don't believe they will change that. I will criticize the sexualization at the end of playing it but it won't ruin my experience playing it anymore. It's become picking up something like dead or alive that is just what they are, and when you buy the game you know what you are getting into at this point.

the next part will be torna and future connected and it will be the final one until the next xenoblade game comes out

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I ultimately loved Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but the awful UI and UX alongside some cringe dialogue and camera shots just made the game inferior for me compared to the first game. It's a shame because Monolith Soft pedigree has been development support work for quite a while now since 2006. I suppose having their development team split so that the majority of them worked on Breath of the Wild meant that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had to be compromised.

Sexualization:
What can i say that hasn't already been said? its bad. The only thing i can say is that after xenoblade 1, x, 2, xenosaga, xenogears, endless frontier, project cross zone, splatoon and the octolings, and breath of the wild, I've accepted this is what monolith is and i don't believe they will change that. I will criticize the sexualization at the end of playing it but it won't ruin my experience playing it anymore. It's become picking up something like dead or alive that is just what they are, and when you buy the game you know what you are getting into at this point.

the next part will be torna and future connected and it will be the final one until the next xenoblade game comes out

If anybody wants an indicator of how the successor Xenoblade Chronicles game will play out, look at Torna - The Golden Country and Future Connected.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I ultimately loved Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but the awful UI and UX alongside some cringe dialogue and camera shots just made the game inferior for me compared to the first game. It's a shame because Monolith Soft pedigree has been development support work for quite a while now since 2006. I suppose having their development team split so that the majority of them worked on Breath of the Wild meant that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had to be compromised.

If anybody wants an indicator of how the successor Xenoblade Chronicles game will play out, look at Torna - The Golden Country and Future Connected.
What happens in those?

Jan 30, 2021
The gacha system is bad because someone had the intelligence to implement consolation prizes once you had tossed in a certain number of core crystals, but at the same time it was decided to only have that at three early thresholds instead of all the way through.

Ursula's sidequest takes way too long.

Everything else: Amazing.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
What happens in those?

Future Connected is the latest Xenoblade entry so it lays the foundation of the future of the series. Torna - The Golden Country was a response to the awful UI and aggressive sexualisation of 2 by having the best combat mechanics in the series with no embarrassing cutscenes whatsoever.

Pure excellence in every area. Torna was incredible.

So incredible that I have yet to find anybody who thinks Torna was awful... it's that incredible.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Future Connected is the latest Xenoblade entry so it lays the foundation of the future of the series. Torna - The Golden Country was a response to the awful UI and aggressive sexualisation of 2 by having the best combat mechanics in the series with no embarrassing cutscenes whatsoever.

So incredible that I have yet to find anybody who thinks Torna was awful... it's that incredible.
i would have, agreed if Definitive Edition didn't come out and add even more sexualized armor, not to mention the ones added were the tame ones

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Pure excellence in every area. Torna was incredible.

Edit: I've only played Torna so far.

Torna is imo by far the worst Xenoblade content I played yet. Excellent combat that's been completely ruined by the forced side quests required to finish the story. It is so disrespectful of players time.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I realized I had become too used anime tropes when I recommended the game to a friend and then he kept coming across more and more cringe scenes and yelling at me.

There is so much to get annoyed by and hate with gacha and field skills and the tropes and yet I played through the game twice about 200 hours each time(my switch got stolen so I lost my save). Never did get every blade. Got KOS-MOS tho.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i would have, agreed if Definitive Edition didn't come out and add even more sexualized armor, not to mention the ones added were the tame ones

one counter to that is that you can now have separate fashion gear to your actual armor gear. so you can use nice outfits like the starting ones and have the strongest armor on even if it looks awful (i did my DE playthrough with the base costumes basically. i don't even know what they added since i wasn't going for 100% and never changed fashion gear)

SĆ­riocaz

Oct 19, 2019
You can write a university thesis about them. But then, you have to consider that the game has Poppi. And you know, Poppi is awesome, and so is Finch.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I watch more anime, and have more anime subscriptions, than things like Netflix

Xeno 2 felt like playing an anime to me, and I honestly had no problem with it, easy 9.5/10 game. The combat is so good.

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint was the gacha and me feeling like I was spending way too much time in the menus instead of playing the game, there are so many mechanics that didn't have to exist.

But Mythra is good and the gameplay is good so I forgive the game. I just wish it was more like Torna which felt like the way the main game should be, it's so much better.

Nov 17, 2017
I realized I had become too used anime tropes when I recommended the game to a friend and then he kept coming across more and more cringe scenes and yelling at me.
Lol I'm imagining this play out in a really comedic fashion.

"What the hell, BabyShams?! Why does this furry mascot character want to fuck a robot?!"

"Oh shit, yeah... I forgot about that."

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
If we had character designs more in line with Torna the whole of the main game, I think it would have been a much bigger hit.
(I know it did pretty well, but I think a lot of people were put off by the character designs)
If I hadn't played and loved the first game, I probably wouldn't have even considered playing 2

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the gacha system is the absolute worst thing about this game. Especially since all the good side content is locked behind the blade quests.

Combat is fun but Torna is where we see it elevated to its full potential.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Torna is imo by far the worst Xenoblade content I played yet. Excellent combat that's been completely ruined by the forced side quests required to finish the story. It is so disrespectful of players time.

Saying "I've yet to find someone who dislikes X" in ResetEra is like yelling "all gods are bastards" from a mountaintop in Discworld while wearing full metal armor on a stormy night.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
If we had character designs more in line with Torna the whole of the main game, I think it would have been a much bigger hit.
(I know it did pretty well, but I think a lot of people were put off by the character designs)
If I hadn't played and loved the first game, I probably wouldn't have even considered playing 2
i find this because besides addam, hugo and minoth, the rest of the party are originally from 2, those designs are from 2

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
part 3 of my 4 part thread

This is probably my third favorite xenogame under saga 3 and X, but as with X it does have issues that i have with it, which i will go over

Story:
There are only a few issues i have with the story because the characters and story have been integrated and in my opinion well done, the characters have agency and character arcs no sharla and fiora's here (well except in dlc), plus every rare blade has their own mini story arc to develop them some done really well others(kora) not so much. The biggest issue with the story is the slow start and the slow development of rex as the main character. The plot does take a slow start to really get the ball rolling, Unlike say one and x it doesn't have this big hook to keep the momentum going after the first exciting action instead uses mini conflicts that while ties into the larger conflict. It's not like colony 9 to reyn nearly dying to xord. when we get to that point it till the end of in my opinion chapter 3. And then there is rex, now rex isn't terrible just he is an early luffy in a world that is very pessimistic, and because he really develops over the course of the main plot so his development is SLOW and looks like he doesn't at all while he does. He sticks out like a sore thumb in cast that may have an entire chapter or multiple chapters dedicated to their character arc. as a result you see more of the shounen influences to him where for a character like say shulk its more subtle.

Gameplay:
I only have 3 issues the slow start, the optional field skills, and the gatcha. The the slow start is pretty self explanatory, the game forces you to unlock a lot of the combat options like having all three arts available at the start and the ability to switch to all 3 equippable blades until you get either the requisite skill or complete a certain story respectably, but as a result the combat feels like its on a constant feel like your learning and combat gets faster and faster to the point i felt like i was killing superbosses faster than i ever was in the other 2 games in it's more action oriented gameplay. And yeah the optional field skills and gatcha weren't great because the drop rate was so low to get the blades with the required non element skill to get them it felt like game padding which it was but i understand the idea of having each playthrough be unique but after the main story is over and you want all blades it became a grind. I have no issue with the nonoptional fieldskills because the nonoptional blades meet all the non element requirements, and i would already have enough common blades to meet the element requirements.

Sexualization:

I'm sorry, I'm almost afraid to ask but... Did I miss something here?

Nov 17, 2017
I really want to know why the devs chose to insert gacha mechanics into this game. Like when you break down gacha mobile games, their purpose is clear. You have a free-to-play game so the gacha introduces frustration into the experience and then offers a cure to that frustration through monetization. That's how the game makes its money. It's shitty but at least there's a logical reason the devs are doing it.

With Xenoblade 2, the gacha exists outside the context it's meant to serve so what you're left with is just a gameplay system designed to frustrate with no cure.

I'm not saying Xenoblade 2 should have had monetization though, I'm saying it shouldn't have had gatcha. The devs didn't look at their design and think "hey this is frustrating? Why is it frustrating?" I almost felt like they just put it in there cause gatcha mobile games are pretty big in Japan or something?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
i find this because besides addam, hugo and minoth, the rest of the party are originally from 2, those designs are from 2
yeah but ...main girl and .....sword guy, and all of the torna people in the main game were designed by one of the FF character designers (from memory)
and all of them are awesome and don't feel overtly sexed up or silly looking

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I really want to know why the devs chose to insert gacha mechanics into this game. Like when you break down gacha mobile games, their purpose is clear. You have a free-to-play game so the gacha introduces frustration into the experience and then offers a cure to that frustration through monetization. That's how the game makes its money. It's shitty but at least there's a logical reason the devs are doing it.

With Xenoblade 2, the gacha exists outside the context it's meant to serve so what you're left with is just a gameplay system designed to frustrate with no cure.

I'm not saying Xenoblade 2 should have had monetization though, I'm saying it shouldn't have had gatcha. The devs didn't look at their design and think "hey this is frustrating? Why is it frustrating?" I almost felt like they just put it in there cause gatcha mobile games are pretty big in Japan or something?
I know because they stated, they wanted it to be every playthrough is unique while adding a social aspect to it, the i dea was you pull a rare blade and like gatch games show off what you pulled on twitter or facebook, it's a popular thing to do in japan and western gacha players
yeah but ...main girl and .....sword guy, and all of the torna people in the main game were designed by one of the FF character designers (from memory)
and all of them are awesome and don't feel overtly sexed up or silly looking

lora was designed by the same guy who designed pyra and mythra a design she had in the original game, only jin and malos are tetsuya in torna, i believe all the rest of the characters in torna the golden country were designed by saito,
I'm sorry, I'm almost afraid to ask but... Did I miss something here?

correct me if i am wrong but monolith was heavily involved in the development of splatoon and well just look at the octoling designs

Nov 17, 2017
I know because they stated, they wanted it to be every playthrough is unique while adding a social aspect to it, the i dea was you pull a rare blade and like gatch games show off what you pulled on twitter or facebook, it's a popular thing to do in japan and western gacha players
Yeah seems like they were just trying to get the gacha game effect without really thinking how it'd effect the game overall. I think there were better ways to make the gameplay new each replay.

I guess I can't really relate to the social aspect cause I couldn't be posting Newt to my Facebook lol but I wonder if it worked out that way and people posted their blades a lot.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
XC2 was the definition of a love/hate game for me. The positives were things I really loved, and the negatives were pure trash to me. There was no grey area whatsoever. It was such a bizarre experience to finish the game, because I felt satisfied I had done it, yet knew I'd never do that again lol.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Yeah seems like they were just trying to get the gacha game effect without really thinking how it'd effect the game overall. I think there were better ways to make the gameplay new each replay.

I guess I can't really relate to the social aspect cause I couldn't be posting Newt to my Facebook lol but I wonder if it worked out that way and people posted their blades a lot.
yeah it did, well mostly it was that one, but #xenoblade2 and it's many variations had many many MANY posts of rare blade gacha pulls

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I stand by my opinion that Torna fixed nearly 100% of the issues I had with 2ā€”obtuse and downright wrong tutorials, slow start, too many characters, steep learning curve that turns off casuals, and oversexualization of women (and minors!) to the point where I would be embarrassed to play it in front of my parentsā€”and only added a couple of its own issuesā€”it's much shorter and there is less customization.

That being said, given how much I love the base game, trying to imagine it without its flaws shows me how fucking perfect of a game it could be.

I have a lot of hope for Xenoblade 3 or whatever it is they're working on.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Xenoblade 2 but the gacha system brought it down considerably. It's one of the main things where every time I feel nostalgic for it and consider replaying it, I think about that again and think nah maybe another time

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I hear you but that stuff is super easy after trying to complete some of 2s side quests, which are complete garbage.

I certainly wasn't a fan of the sexualized characters and blades but it didn't bother me or prevent me from getting through the game. The gacha system is trash, too many generics and way too few legendary blades with how many generics they are. To pull KOS-MOS I had to make a cloud save with everything set up, only took one round of reloading the save but it was super dumb I still had to do it like that.

I REALLY enjoyed the story and battle systems evolution from XB1 and X though. I have over 300 hours in the game over multiple play throughs and it's one of only a few games I've 100% in the past decade.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the big world story pieces... the whole thing about the titans and each place's way of life, that was pretty cool and pretty much the reason why i kept going through the game.

And honestly the general "twists" and discoveries about the nature of things were very strong but rough and i don't think they took real advantage of them at all. Which feels like such a big waste after Xenoblade Chronicles that captures those moments into really cool and interesting scenes and ideas, and goes really hard into some unexpected places.

But XC2 is just meh after meh with the occasional cool moment, all the while brought way down by mistreatment of its cast, and especially of its women. That said i really liked MĆ²rag.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, I was embarassed whenever I fired up the game, and I live alone. XC1 was just as full of silly anime tropes, but it didn't feel nearly as oversexualized, cringeworthy, and gross.

Not sure how I felt about the combat. It was okay, but any game where you have minimal control over your party members (to the point where say your healer will just decide to stop being a healer) feels bad.

I do appreciate how the game only had one twist up its sleeve that they used like a dozen times:

Villain: But I have one secret you don't know! You see, I'm actua-
Rex: Secretly
a blade?
Villain: I'm secretly a--- wait, how'd you know?
Rex: I mean that's basically every person I've run into so far. Also, you started taking off your clothes when we started talking.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 + Torna has by far the strongest character work in the xenoblade series from both its main protagonists and antagonists. It also has a better developed world than XC1 in terms of the economics, politics and history. It has a large set of detailed towns filled with history and character. The gameplay mechanics are strong about extrapolating many of the themes of the game in the blade-driver dynamic as well as the connections between party members. For the first time in the xenoblade series, it's kinaesthetically satisfying to use the core combat mechanics. XC2 pushes its mechanics harder than any other game in the Xeno metaseries with difficulty as well.

Aesthetically its more mixed in terms of the character models but I still think the game is rather pleasant overall. The story through the blade quests and main quests is pretty strong in pursuing its thematic intentions with both heroes and Villains going through proper character arcs that mirror and develop in interesting ways until it all comes to a head at the end.

It's a fascinating game, a messy one (all the xenoblades are really) but utterly jubilant and exciting and the whole OST is a score for the ages even more than the original game was with the incredible level of production and use of each piece.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I dont mind the gacha in XC2 but there should be a way to guarantee drops when you are near the end.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
the gacha thing combined with field skills was such an awful combination of two systems that would be annoying enough even on their own

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has one of the least enjoyable battle systems I've ever encountered in a JRPG. I'm not saying the battle system is objectively bad, but I am saying the game does an incredibly poor job of introducing and teaching the player about each of its (frankly too many) layers and it just never engaged or caught on with me personally.

And I say that as someone who does like the first game's battle system quite a bit (and still did when I revisited it in Definitive Edition). ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Nov 17, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has one of the least enjoyable battle systems I've ever encountered in a JRPG. I'm not saying the battle system is objectively bad, but I am saying the game does an incredibly poor job of introducing and teaching the player about each of its (frankly too many) layers and it just never engaged or caught on with me personally.

And I say that as someone who does like the first game's battle system quite a bit (and still did when I revisited it in Definitive Edition). ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
I'm not a fan of how slow it is. It's definitely more complex than Xenoblade 1's combat but it doesn't feel as fun for me. The way you can't move while auto-attacking, the repetitive blade/driver combo animations, how you start battles with your arts on cooldown... It all contributed to a more plodding battle system in my opinion.

Then you get the whole elemental burst system and for the rest of the game you go through the same motions of doing your combos to set up elemental orbs and then doing a chain attack to burst them for massive damage. It works on so many enemies and bosses that I stopped paying attention to what the enemy was even doing and just focusing on getting the orbs up. Enemies didn't really seem to DO much to you at all unless you took too long to elemental burst them and then suddenly they'd wipe you out with some massive attack. So like... again I just didn't focus on what enemies were doing and just hammered away.

Xenoblade 1 was far more simple but it felt more active but it especially felt more reactive. The vision system was such a smart mechanic that forced you to change tactics and pay attention to what the enemy was doing. It was kind of bland as Shulk but preventing bad futures with other characters was so hectic and fun.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I hear you but that stuff is super easy after trying to complete some of 2s side quests, which are complete garbage.

Honestly I wouldn't know because Xenoblade 2 never asked me to raise community level by 4 in order to progress the story.
It's not about how easy that stuff is, it was just completely pointless.

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
It took me just 3 hours of farming superbosses to get all the rare blades in the game.

In Xenoblade 1 it took me well over 10 hours of farming random enemies that I had to look up on the wiki and abusing savescumming over and over and over to get all the advanced art books.

And Xenoblade X, well...

Give me the gacha system any day.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved my time with the game, but the gacha and field skills really irritated me to no end.

Also, despite loving basically everything Xenoblade, I've never played through Torna despite all of the acclaim it gets and I, for some reason, have very little desire to do so. I watched all the cutscenes on youtube and I think I'll just never buy and play it.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
It took me just 3 hours of farming superbosses to get all the rare blades in the game.

In Xenoblade 1 it took me well over 10 hours of farming random enemies that I had to look up on the wiki and abusing savescumming over and over and over to get all the advanced art books.

And Xenoblade X, well...

Give me the gacha system any day.

Lol this.

I still remember killing those damn droids near volcano in cauldros to get the blade gun with an x5 augment for my Laliah Queen skell. Pretty sure it added like 100 hours to my already long playthrough. Worst part you need 2 of them.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Saying "I've yet to find someone who dislikes X" in ResetEra is like yelling "all gods are bastards" from a mountaintop in Discworld while wearing full metal armor on a stormy night.

Yeah yeah, generalisations are bad and there are always exceptions. I get it. Still, I see no Torna slander here so I'm still right on a technicality. šŸ˜Ž

Lora was designed by the same guy who designed pyra and mythra a design she had in the original game, only jin and malos are tetsuya in torna, i believe all the rest of the characters in torna the golden country were designed by saito,

Minoth/Cole was designed by the Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates character designer.

Correct me if i am wrong but monolith was heavily involved in the development of splatoon and well just look at the octoling designs

They were only involved with Splatoon via Monolith Soft Kyoto which is their dedicated asset support studio for first-party Nintendo titles, they weren't responsible for the designs of the Octolings.

Jan 30, 2021
I dont mind the gacha in XC2 but there should be a way to guarantee drops when you are near the end.
That would have been the "good game design solution," yes.

But there's a workaround and it's called cloud save. It allows you to restore your save file to an earlier point which wasn't possible in 2017 when the game released. If you've bought the expansion pass for XC2, you'll get a bunch of additional legendary core crystals which in turn makes it even easier to draw all rare blades (including those exclusive to new game+) without ever needing to farm any crystals. You'll be more than fine by using merely those that you get along the ride. Naturally, it will probably take a few reloads because it's a luck-based system.

If you don't pay for NSO, you might still be eligible for a 1-week-trail, so the cloud save abuse can be performed without having to pay for it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on giving the game another chance at some point but I might honestly just skip every cutscene and conversation, really couldn't stand any of the dialogue and everything about Pyra annoys me including the VA. I got up to Rex's hometown at launch so maybe half way through the game?

My worry from the brief appearances of the final character's blade is that the most annoying character of all is still to come lol