• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.criticalhit.net

Critical Hit Game Awards 2020 – Game of the year

What was the best game of 2020? Which game excelled in multiple fields, combined them all together, and let loose a ferocious flurry of blows to your expectations? The answer this year was obvious
We took a bit of a different tact this year when it came to the best video games of 2020. In a year that had no shortage of excellence on offer, it was monumentally difficult to favour one game over the other in any particular category. What did we decide on? To look at the 20 best games that popped up between December 2019 through to November 2020, and find the X-factor that made each game so brilliant.

One award per game, highlighting its brilliance in a certain field. That's how we settled on Necrobarista having some of the best storytelling of the year, DOOM Eternal's action being unmatched, or Ghost of Tsushima's art direction resulting in interesting locations to murder people within. If we do a second round of awards, we may just give SuckerPunch's samurai sandbox the nod for best Assassin's Creed game this year.

But what was the best game? Which game excelled in multiple fields, combined them all together, and let loose a ferocious flurry of blows to your expectations? The answer this year was obvious, but before we get to the top of the gaming 2020 food chain, let's look at the honourable mentions:

honourable mentions:
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Demon's Souls
  • DOOM Eternal

and the winner is…
  • Hades
We always knew that Hades was going to be special. Having started life in the Epic Games Store as an early access title and moving to Steam a year later, developer Supergiant's odyssey across the river Styx and the Greek afterlife had plenty going for it long before it was ready for the main event. Months of polish, fan feedback, and tweaks to its formula helped create a game which is nothing short of a masterpiece of design.

It's hard to succinctly wrap up why Hades is so good, but between its mesmerising art style, brilliantly-paced action, and a soundtrack that draws you in, Hades manages to be constantly rewarding. In a game genre where your primary mantra is "live-die-repeat", Hades always has something new to share with its players. Maybe it's a few new dialogue options in the court of the underworld, perhaps it's a new combination of weapons and talents that allow you to push further through the realm of the dead, or maybe it's the drive to go give Cerberus some love before you face the big man himself.

Greece lightning in a bottle, Hades is pure excellence. It'll leave your hands sweaty after a challenging run, it constantly pushes you to be better, and it gives so much in return. A beautifully-crafted explosion of action, charm, and a Greek epic for the ages, Hades is our 2020 game of the year.

Last edited:

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Hades definitely getting that GotY award at The Game Awards, and it will be deserved.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh. I enjoyed Hades for what it was, but it's too repetitive to be anywhere close to GOTY. It's in my top 10 for sure, but probably somewhere in the back half.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Someone sell me on Hades. I loved Bastion but HATED Transistor, and it kinda turned me off of SuperGiant games from that point. Plus I hear it's a roguelite, which I kinda had my fill of lately.

What makes Hades different and better?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hades is great. Definitely one of the best, but it really sucks how Wasteland 3 is not showing up on any of these GOTY lists. I'd put it just above Hades, and maybe below TLOU II, maybe above. I guess people just don't like RPG's anymore. It's a damn shame given that it's my favorite genre, and to see one of the best RPG's of this generation come out this year and be met with almost complete ambivalence, really has me worried for the future of the genre.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the question is will hades win era's goty? it being pc/switch only may limit how many people played it as a lot of people are waiting for ps/xbox ports.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
With all the wins Hades is getting, we're going to start seeing "Hades is overrated" threads more and more. That's just the way it is.
I can see it winning at TGA if it's a critics vote.

the question is will hades win era's goty? it being pc/switch only may limit how many people played as a lot of people are waiting for ps/xbox ports.

Zero chance. Era's GOTY is TLOU2.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, i'm so happy for SuperGiant Games.

Someone sell me on Hades. I loved Bastion but HATED Transistor, and it kinda turned me off of SuperGiant games from that point. Plus I hear it's a roguelite, which I kinda had my fill of lately.

Best to check out the OT for the game. I think there's too much to say about it for a single post. ^^

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Thanks for the attention guys, it genuinely means the world to me and the rest of the Critical Hit crew :)

Hades is great, but TLOU2 and Alyx are better. Alyx isn't even in the list as usual, lol.

I genuinely wish I could have played the game at least, to add to it to our nominations! Sadly we don't have VR hardware, and the last time I tried it I almost hurled chunks. I'd love to do more VR on the site eventually, but I need to conquer my motion sickness first.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
All these awards not giving Alyx the easy win is already bad IMO, but not even having it nominated is just straight up embarassing.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I won't get tired of seeing Supergiant and Hades getting so much end of the year recognition in these lists and retrospectives. It's so well deserved, and the team being good folks who take healthy work culture seriously only makes it easier to root for.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

I hated Bastion, but loved Hades, great characters, writhing, gameplay and replay value, you always get a sense in progression even when ends a failed run, amazing art style, superb voice acting, its a incredible designed game in all fronts, not my GOTY but is the running up easy.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
First time in years where im actually happy about a specific game getting the GotY recognition - usually i dont care about GotY even for games i love...but Supergiant Games getting that love as a smaller developer is just lovely to see. Really felt bad for them when we heard they were robbed during Protest in summers - but man talk about Karma, seems like they are getting back so mach love from the Industry and Gamers.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Hades is hardly mainstream as well. Professional magazines should know better. Not saying that everyone should put Alyx up for GOTY, but at least include it in the list.
Sure, neither one is "mainstream". But Hades is outside the mainstream cause it's a cheap indie game from a small studio. Alyx is out of the mainstream cause it's tied to hardware most gamers and games journalists can't afford or don't want. It's not unreasonable to grab Hades and check whether it should be on the GOTY list. Telling people to get VR setups just to try out Alyx is pretty unreasonable.

Starting to think Hades may have a chance tomorrow :👀
I don't get my hopes up, but it would be nice...