• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Criterion:
9TF7mC8JIa3R4aydFgNW5pcNpwv1wz_large.jpg

In his breakthrough second feature, Bong Joon Ho explodes the conventions of the policier with thrillingly subversive, genre-defying results. Based on the true story of a string of serial killings that rocked a rural community in the 1980s, Memories of Murder stars New Korean Cinema icon Song Kang Ho as the local officer who reluctantly joins forces with a seasoned Seoul detective (Kim Sang Kyung) to investigate the crimes—leading each man on a wrenching, yearslong odyssey of failure and frustration that will drive him to the existential edge. Combining a gripping procedural with a vivid social portrait of the everyday absurdity of life under military rule, Bong fashions a haunting journey into ever-deepening darkness that begins as a black-comic satire and ends as a soul-shattering encounter with the abyss.

FILM INFO
Bong Joon Ho
South Korea
131 minutes
Color
1.85:1
Korean
Spine #1073

Pre-order is up. Go go go!

PSA: If you're in Canada go to Unobstructed View.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
YESSSSSS

Just watched this on demand for the first time last weekend funnily enough - what. a. film.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I should give this one another go at some point. It's the only one of his films that didn't work for me.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute masterpiece and his best movie (though I love The Host more as a personal preference).

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably just wait until it's on The Criterion Channel to rewatch... unless I'm weak during the next 50% off sale. >_>

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, that sucks. Color grading is probably one of those things that we rarely notice unless it's bad or extremely pronounced, but this... looks bad.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, I watched this on Prime in January and I'm pretty sure it had the original color grading.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not a fan of the change in color grading, even if it's the original intent. Still probably going to pick it up at some point.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Seems ok to me. The original home release looks like what you'd have if you applied some kind of auto white balance to it.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Finished watching it. Loved it.

I didn't expect the film to start the way it does with an almost bumbling comedic tone. At times it felt it was on the verge of going in to slapstick category. Especially with that one cop character who drop kicks pretty much every suspect.

But when the movie does get serious I feel it hits as hard as anything else in the genre. There were multiple moments throughout where I literally jumped out of my seat. I definitely won't look at grassy fields during a rainstorm the same way again.

Also wrt the colour grading, it does get distracting at times. Mostly it didn't really bother me. YMMV.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
The colour grading is interesting (thanks. I hate it).

I got bored of waiting for the Criterion set early this year and ordered the recently released Australian blu ray. I'll have to have rewatch of that and compare it to the original version to see if that got the same colour pass.

EDIT:

And for everyone that hasn't watched them yet, I recommend Mother andBarking Digs Don't Bite. Two other fantastic films of his and I actually prefer Mother to Memories.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
The colour grading is interesting (thanks. I hate it).

I got bored of waiting for the Criterion set early this year and ordered the recently released Australian blu ray. I'll have to have rewatch of that and compare it to the original version to see if that got the same colour pass.

EDIT:

And for everyone that hasn't watched them yet, I recommend Mother andBarking Digs Don't Bite. Two other fantastic films of his and I actually prefer Mother to Memories.
I actually feel there is a lot of crossover with Mother, both in tone, themes and visual style.

They'd be good companion watches.