• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The Xbox app has issues but it's not terrible. Can't figure out subtitles on English movies and some of the criterion video interview stuff is completely not working. Also navigating the app is bad.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
The Xbox app has issues but it's not terrible. Can't figure out subtitles on English movies and some of the criterion video interview stuff is completely not working. Also navigating the app is bad.

Pretty sure few if any movies on the service offer captions or subtitles for English language films.

Love the service, but they have shit-all for accessibility features.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Maybe this means PS4 is on the way?
According to this email from the support that's been floating around from a month ago, no not really.

"Thanks for reaching out. Lots of folks have been checking in about accessing the Channel on their game consoles and we're aware of the demand. We're actively working to make this happen for Xbox One consoles, although I don't have a concise timeline for when we'll roll that out. Down the line, Criterion Channel availability will expand to other platforms with a streaming function, as well - including a designated Channel App for Samsung Smart TVs. No news regarding whether we'll be able to offer Playstation 4 compatibility, as Vimeo - whose platform we use to deliver content to our subscribers - does not currently offer this functionality. Keep an eye out for "tech notes" in our Channel newsletter, as well as social media updates."

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend In the Heat of the Night and Raisin in the Sun, both leave the service today.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I wasn't so busy with school to clean off the whole list of movies leaving this month. I really wanted to go through all the Greenway movies they were offering.

Probably going to rewatch The Man Who Fell to Earth tonight. love that movie.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol mine won't launch on Xbox - permanently spinning circle.

Edit. Had to uninstall, sign in on web, then activate. Weird. Also if you mess with HDMI - like switching inputs, movies seem to stop - probably overly anxious HDMI/HDCP check.

I resubscribed tho. Was running out TODAYso the timing is insane.

Last edited:

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
The app in general (not just the Xbox version, but... all versions...) needs a refresh.
Sort/Filter by Director/Decade/Country should be an essential feature at this point.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Lol mine won't launch on Xbox - permanently spinning circle.

Edit. Had to uninstall, sign in on web, then activate. Weird. Also if you mess with HDMI - like switching inputs, movies seem to stop - probably overly anxious HDMI/HDCP check.
its super picky about the hdmi stuff, the second monitor on my computer freaks it out and streaming from the laptop to the tv doesnt work a majority of the time
The app in general (not just the Xbox version, but... all versions...) needs a refresh.
Sort/Filter by Director/Decade/Country should be an essential feature at this point.
the searching and filtering is terrible

there are so many things ive wanted to watch that have been on there for a year that ive just now noticed

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Just watched Drunken Angel, and wow. I haven't seen any Kurosawa movies since my Dad showed me a bunch of his samurai films as a kid. I need to go back and re-watch those, because if they're half as good as Drunken Angel, I didn't appreciate them as much as I should.

Also, it's embarrassing when somebody who's late to the party says something obvious, but I'll do it anyway. Holy shit, Toshiro Mifune.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Just watched Drunken Angel, and wow. I haven't seen any Kurosawa movies since my Dad showed me a bunch of his samurai films as a kid. I need to go back and re-watch those, because if they're half as good as Drunken Angel, I didn't appreciate them as much as I should.

Also, it's embarrassing when somebody who's late to the party says something obvious, but I'll do it anyway. Holy shit, Toshiro Mifune.

Do Red Beard next, one of the best Mifune roles

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Nothing will start for me on Xbox. The UI loads fine, I can pick a movie, and then when I click on it the screen is just black until I close the app and restart. Any thoughts?

EDIT: my guess is it's HDCP since I can watch trailers and stuff, in which case that sucks because I'm not going to update my TV when everything else (Netflix etc.) works fine.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A few things :

On launch there's no sign of search - you have to press "b" to back out to a screen it doesn't launch to in order to access the search tool.

It doesn't support keyboard - only manual joystick input of individual letters.

Search itself is actually worse in some ways than just browsing because the results include every instance of a term including documentaries about a film and it's trailer versions - and as far as I can tell - typo suggestions - and I can't see a system for how the results are ordered and prioritized.

I've had multiple movies go dim right around the time the controller goes to sleep. Movies that DIM!??

You can't see the full description of a movie until you start playing it and then press Y.

Occasionally I'll get into an extended or interminable logo startup sequence and have to force quit.

All bug reports have to go to Vimeo who's player it is. Vimeo has always been a big resource hog on my PC.

I do need to use it because of the way my setup works and I just resubbed because this app so I hope they fix some of these things.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will start for me on Xbox. The UI loads fine, I can pick a movie, and then when I click on it the screen is just black until I close the app and restart. Any thoughts?

EDIT: my guess is it's HDCP since I can watch trailers and stuff, in which case that sucks because I'm not going to update my TV when everything else (Netflix etc.) works fine.

Try deleting and reinstalling - and try it on another hdmi in on your TV -arc or not arc - whatever it isn't now. I know it sounds dumb but I do think the hdcp implementation is extremely fussy - worth a shot anyway.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A few things :

On launch there's no sign of search - you have to press "b" to back out to a screen it doesn't launch to in order to access the search tool.

It doesn't support keyboard - only manual joystick input of individual letters.

Search itself is actually worse in some ways than just browsing because the results include every instance of a term including documentaries about a film and it's trailer versions - and as far as I can tell - typo suggestions - and I can't see a system for how the results are ordered and prioritized.

I've had multiple movies go dim right around the time the controller goes to sleep. Movies that DIM!??

You can't see the full description of a movie until you start playing it and then press Y.

Occasionally I'll get into an extended or interminable logo startup sequence and have to force quit.

All bug reports have to go to Vimeo who's player it is. Vimeo has always been a big resource hog on my PC.

I do need to use it because of the way my setup works and I just resubbed because this app so I hope they fix some of these things.

I use the phone app to read the descriptions. When I press Y it crashes the app.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Maybe they can try for the Vita instead of PS4, lol.

Is there an expected 'order' to watch I Am Yellow/Blue in? I figure I may as well try it, it's been on my curiosity list for a while.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I signed up the other day to this and Mubi (through amazon prime). Im gassed this is me all summer now.

Last edited:

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017

Make sure to get to High and Low. Incredible, maybe my favorite Kurosawa. Feel like you can see it's influence heavily on Bong Joon-Ho's Memories of Murder and Parasite.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Make sure to get to High and Low. Incredible, maybe my favorite Kurosawa. Feel like you can see it's influence heavily on Bong Joon-Ho's Memories of Murder and Parasite.

That's next on my list. Weirdly, Michael Cera convinced me. The Adventures in Film segment with him talking about High and Low just made it sound so compelling.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

You are in for a treat if you get to rewatch Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon for the first time.

(Ran and Kagemusha are brilliant too but I'm not sure if they're still on Criterion, they and Dreams pop in and out insofar as availability goes)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I love the Kurosawa films I've seen that are set in contemporary times. Definitely would recommend High and Low and Ikiru, those are pretty widely regarded as two of his best.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Ikiru is fantastic. High and Low is as well. I enjoyed The Bad Sleep Well the first time I saw it, but haven't watched it in... damn... 10-15 years.

Oct 27, 2017
Ikiru is fantastic. High and Low is as well. I enjoyed The Bad Sleep Well the first time I saw it, but haven't watched it in... damn... 10-15 years.
Yea, I need to watch Ikiru again. Inspired me just like ending and I went back to same old same old. I've felt like watching Woman in the Dunes again, that movie is so haunting.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to the other Kurosawas mentioned I'll throw one in for Stray Dog and Dersu Uzala.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I ended up going for Yojimbo next. Mifune brings out the sadist in me. There's something so satisfying about watching him suffer. But unlike Drunken Angel, this time you get the excitement of watching him come back from it. And those final 10 minutes are just incredible.

Plus, Kurosawa always knows when to end his movies. It feels a bit strange when you're used to movies with a denouement. But it's refreshing, in a way.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bad Sleep Well is the only Kurosawa/Mifune film I wouldn't rewatch, simply because the ending is such a wet fart. It's like Kurosawa rubbing your face in the message conveyed by the title. It's very noir, but handled in a way that leaves a bad taste, like you wasted your time watching the movie. I do recall really being surprised by I Live In Fear as it's one that doesn't get talked about much.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Next step for me is Sanjuro. A friend of mine said it's one their favorite movies of all time. It's not one of the Mifune/Kurosawa joints that gets talked about as a classic, so I'm curious to see what it's deal is.

Mar 31, 2018
Are there plans to make the Criterion Channel service available within the European Union?
I have an account, but it's been hard for me to create one. I had to order a digital American credit card and then create an account using the Tor Browser.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Next step for me is Sanjuro. A friend of mine said it's one their favorite movies of all time. It's not one of the Mifune/Kurosawa joints that gets talked about as a classic, so I'm curious to see what it's deal is.

I like it a lot, definitely worth watching, maybe not quite as good as Yojimbo though. But Yojimbo is a 10/10. In fact, it's so good that they apparently turned Sanjuro into a Yojimbo sequel when it was originally not connected, lol.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Are there plans to make the Criterion Channel service available within the European Union?
I have an account, but it's been hard for me to create one. I had to order a digital American credit card and then create an account using the Tor Browser.

Why did you need to make a digital American credit card?

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I like it a lot, definitely worth watching, maybe not quite as good as Yojimbo though. But Yojimbo is a 10/10. In fact, it's so good that they apparently turned Sanjuro into a Yojimbo sequel when it was originally not connected, lol.

I wasn't sold on Yojimbo until the final 30 minutes or so. Like I said, nobody gets the shit kicked out of them like Mifune. The stakes aren't really so clear until Sanjuro is beaten up.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
At the end of last year that was necessary when I wanted to create an account, with either an American or a Canadian credit card. Maybe that's changed now.
I'm from the EU too and I've just created an account a week ago. I only needed to use a VPN to register, but after that it all worked just fine. Accepted my credit card with no problem.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
so some of the criterion collection is coming to hbo max

not technically related to this thread but i figured id share it here, maybe people feel the need to consolidate their streaming services or something

it mostly seems to be the stable of films that the channel has at all times

www.slashfilm.com

HBO Max Unveils Hundreds Of Movies Available From Warner Bros., The Criterion Collection, Studio Ghibli & More - SlashFilm

The HBO Max movie library will include hundreds of modern and classic titles from Warner Bros. Pictures, The Criterion Collection, Studio Ghibli, and more.

• …And God Created Woman
  • 16 Days of Glory
  • 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
  • The 3 Penny Opera
  • The 39 Steps
  • The 400 Blows
  • The 47 Ronin: Part 1
  • The 47 Ronin: Part 2
  • Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
  • Amarcord
  • An Angel at my Table
  • Ashes and Diamonds
  • Atlanta's Olympic Glory
  • Au Revior Les Enfants
  • Autumn Sonata
  • Babette's Feast
  • Battle of Algiers
  • Battleship Potemkin
  • The Beales of Grey Gardens
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Belle De Jour
  • Bicycle Thieves
  • The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant
  • Black Girl
  • Black Narcissus
  • Black Orpheus
  • Blithe Spirit
  • The Blob
  • Blood Simple
  • Breaking the Waves
  • Breathless
  • Brief Encounter
  • A Brief History of Time
  • The Brood
  • Brute Force
  • Buena Vista Social Club
  • Calgary '88: 16 Days of Glory
  • Carnival of Souls
  • Chimes at Midnight
  • La Ciénaga
  • The Circus
  • City Lights
  • Cleo from 5 to 7
  • Cranes are Flying
  • Cries and Whispers
  • Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment
  • Cronos
  • Daisies
  • A Day in the Country
  • A Day's Pleasure
  • The Daytrippers
  • Dead Man
  • Desert Hearts
  • Destroy All Monsters
  • Diabolique
  • Divorce Italian Style
  • A Dog's Life
  • Don't Look Back
  • Down by Law
  • The Earrings of Madame De
  • Eating Raoul
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
  • Elevator to the Gallows
  • The Emperor Jones
  • The Entertainer
  • Equinox
  • Eraserhead
  • Europa
  • Europe '51
  • Eyes Without a Face
  • F is for Fake
  • Faces
  • Fanny and Alexander
  • Fantastic Planet
  • Fat Girl
  • First Man Into Space
  • For All Mankind
  • Foreign Correspondant
  • The Four Feathers
  • Fox and His Friends
  • The Front Page
  • Funny Games
  • George Stevens: A Filmmakers Journey
  • George Stevens: D-Day to Berlin
  • Germany Year Zero
  • Gidorah, The Three Headed Monster
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Godzilla
  • Godzilla Raids Again
  • Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
  • Godzilla vs Megalon
  • Godzilla vs Gigan
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah
  • Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
  • The Gold Rush
  • The Gold Rush: 1942 Version
  • The Grand Olympics
  • Gray's Anatomy
  • The Great Dictator
  • Great Expectations
  • Grey Gardens
  • Hamlet
  • Hanzo the Razor: Sword of Justice
  • Hanzo the Razor: The Snare
  • Hanzo the Razor: Who's Got the Gold?
  • A Hard Day's Night
  • Harlan County U.S.A
  • Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
  • Hearts and Minds
  • Henry V
  • The Hidden Fortress
  • Hobson's Choice
  • The Honeymoon Killers
  • Hoop Dreams
  • House
  • I Married a Witch
  • I Shot Jesse James
  • I Was a Teenage Zombie
  • The Idle Class
  • Ikiru
  • The Immigrant
  • In the Mood for Love
  • In Vanda's Room
  • Intermezzo
  • Invasion of Astro-Monster
  • Irma Vep
  • Ivan the Terrible Part 1
  • Ivan the Terrible Part 2
  • Jubilee
  • Jules and Jim
  • Juliet of the Spirits
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Kid
  • Kill!
  • The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
  • A King in New York
  • The King of Kings
  • Knife in the Water
  • Kwaidan
  • Lady Snowblood
  • Lady Snowblood 2: Love Song of Vengeance
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • L'Amore
  • L'Argent
  • The Last Emperor
  • The Last Metro
  • The Last Wave
  • Late Autumn
  • Late Spring
  • L'Avventura
  • Lillehammer '94: Days of Glory
  • Limelight
  • The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog
  • Lola
  • Lola Montes
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby in the Land of Demons
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengence
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell
  • Loneliness of the Long Distance
  • The Long Voyage Home
  • Look Back in Anger
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Lost Honor of Katarina Blum
  • Love in the Afternoon
  • Major Barbara
  • Man Bites Dog
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much
  • Marriage of Maria Braun
  • Masculin Feminin
  • Metropolitan
  • Mikey and Nicky
  • Modern Times
  • Mon Oncle
  • Mona Lisa
  • Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
  • Monsieur Verdoux
  • Monterey Pop
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Mothra vs Godzilla
  • Mr. Arkadin
  • Multiple Maniacs
  • My Brilliant Career
  • My Dinner with Andre
  • My Life as a Dog
  • My Night at Maud's
  • Nagano '98 Olympics: Stories of Honor and Glory
  • The Naked City
  • The Naked Kiss
  • Nanook of the North
  • Nice and Friendly
  • A Night in the Show
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Oliver Twist
  • Onibaba
  • Paris, Texas
  • Pather Panchali
  • Pay Day
  • Pepe Le Moko
  • Permanent Vacation
  • Persona
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • The Pilgrim
  • The Player
  • Police Story
  • Primary
  • The Private Life of Henry the VIII
  • Pygmalion
  • Quadrophenia
  • Querelle
  • Rashomon
  • The Red Balloon
  • Red Desert
  • The Red Shoes
  • Rembrandt
  • The Return of Bulldog Drummond
  • Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Richard III
  • The Rink
  • The Rise of Catherine the Great
  • The Rite
  • The River
  • Rodan
  • Rome Open City
  • A Room with a View
  • The Ruling Class
  • The Runner
  • Sabotage
  • Safety Last!
  • Salesman
  • Le Samourai
  • Samurai Trilogy 1: Musashi Miyamoto
  • Samurai Trilogy 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
  • Samurai Trilogy 3: Duel at Ganryu Island
  • Satan's Brew
  • Sawdust and Tinsel
  • Scanners
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Scenes From a Marriage
  • Schizopolis
  • Seance on a Wet Afternoon
  • Secrets and Lies
  • Senso
  • Seoul 1988
  • Seven Samurai
  • Seventh Seal
  • The Seventh Veil
  • Shadows
  • Shock Corridor
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • The Shooting
  • The Shop on Main Street
  • Shoulder Arms
  • Sisters
  • Smithereens
  • Solaris
  • Son of Godzilla
  • Speedy
  • Stagecoach
  • La Strada
  • Stranger Than Paradise
  • The Stranger
  • Stromboli
  • Summertime
  • Sunnyside
  • Sweetie
  • Taste of Cherry
  • A Taste of Honey
  • Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • The Testement of Dr Mabuse
  • That Hamilton Woman
  • The Thief of Bagdad
  • Three Colors: Blue
  • Three Colors: Red
  • Three Colors: White
  • Throne of Blood
  • Through a Glass Darkly
  • Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
  • Time Bandits
  • The Times of Harvey Milk
  • The Tin Drum
  • To Be or not To Be
  • Tokyo Olympiad
  • Tokyo Story
  • Tom Jones
  • The Trial of Joan of Arc
  • True Stories
  • Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
  • Two English Girls
  • Ugetsu
  • Umberto D.
  • The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  • Under the Volacno
  • Vampyr
  • Victim
  • Vivre Sa Vie
  • Voyage to Italy
  • The Wages of Fear
  • War and Peace
  • The War of the Gargantuas
  • The War Room
  • Watership Down
  • Weekend
  • Wild Strrawberries
  • Wings of Desire
  • Wise Blood
  • Withnail and I
  • A Woman of Paris
  • A Woman Under the Influence
  • The X From Outer Space
  • Yojimbo
  • Young and Innocent
  • Young Girls
  • Z

maybe i just like posting lists

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Don't understand why they are doing this, it makes the criterion channel less appealing to have 300 of your movies elsewhere. I'm also seeing a lot of movies on there that are in the collection but not on the channel. I already signed up for HBO Max so I'll be watching those.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand why they are doing this, it makes the criterion channel less appealing to have 300 of your movies elsewhere. I'm also seeing a lot of movies on there that are in the collection but not on the channel. I already signed up for HBO Max so I'll be watching those.

Kanopy has a big chunk of titles too, and that's free.

But the Criterion Channel has the special features and that's enough for me to keep subscribing.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, they've done this for quite some time. Even if you go to a film's page on Criterion's OWN SITE which is trying to sell you DVDs and Blu Rays, they'll show "Digital Options" and have links to their transfers on streaming services like Amazon and iTunes, and what have you. Plus the variety of library services (Kanopy, Hoopla, etc) that have had access to some of their library for years.

Plus, I think the draw of the Criterion Channel is multifaceted:
1. It uses Vimeo as a base, which is one of the best bitrate focused video streaming platforms out there.
2. You get the special features of most (but not all) Criterion releases, such as documentaries, commentaries, featurettes, etc.
3. The thematic presentation, while... problematic when trying to find something does indeed help push you towards types/styles/themes in movies. The Double Feature and Short and A Feature sections are neat pairings of movies, sometimes with little intros by a film scholar as to why they are paired with each other

Plus, The Criterion Channel isn't The Criterion Collection, but streaming, they often have a LOT of things that they don't actively have physical releases for, and will put up things that will later become physical releases (most if not all of the Godzilla set was on the Channel before the boxset was announced)